Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Slimeball91

Can you talk me out of getting Paolo Emilio?

23 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

5,167
[PVE]
Members
8,775 posts

As the title says, I am thinking about getting the Paolo Emilio, and looking for arguments for or against going that route. 

My thoughts on yolo Emilio.  This ship certainly offers a unique play style.  The other RB ships more or less have some other ship(s) that has the same style.  Yolo charges are what co-op is all about, and there is no doubt Emilio excels there.  The question is can it survive getting past the DDs and cruisers that stand between you and those juicy enemy BBs?  A normal DD will smoke up in or near the cap, gun down the enemy DDs, and work on taking out the cruisers.  You can hang out in your smoke during that time, almost completely safe from any attack, unless you've got UK short burst smoke, which Emilio effectively has. So...

I'm curious, you guys that have Emilio, how do you play it in co-op?  How do you deal with the charging DD and cruiser bots?

Also, what case can you make for the other ships?  I have Friesland, so I'm thinking I don't need another DD without torps.  Vampire II, not a bad DD but far better suited for PvP, which I'm not really considering playing.  I have ~59k research points.  I can get any of the RB ship except the BBs.  I suppose I could go for more points to be able to get one of the BBs.  I don't think I bother resetting another line, not now.  That would mean waiting at least two more months to be able to earn the points through the daily missions.  Let's just say this is a secondary option.  The cruisers don't interest me. 

I know these discussion come up fairly often, so not everyone wants to spend time posting in yet another one.  If you've got experience with the Paolo Emilio in co-op I'd really like to hear about it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,561
[O_O]
Members
7,894 posts
22,062 battles

Kitakami may be coming soon, but we have no word for sure, or when, or for what currency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,156
[WOLFG]
Members
17,114 posts
20,488 battles

@Slimeball91:  

If there is one ship I HATE seeing spawn on my side in a PVE match it is a Paolo.  You occasionally get one that dies in an even trade or less, but most of the time it is a 2 or 3 to one in favor of the Paolo.

I am going to regret it, but with you being a DD player in PVE.

Image result for do it palpatine gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,891
[CO-OP]
Members
5,197 posts
43,292 battles

Paolo can stealth torp, but you still need to have someone spot for you.  So you have to be careful not to obscure your support.  As a torp DD, I would rate it second to Benham.

@desmo_2 makes a good point.  If you're into torpedo boats, you might want to wait a patch or two to see what currency Kitakami is going to sold. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,167
[PVE]
Members
8,775 posts
36 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Kitakami may be coming soon, but we have no word for sure, or when, or for what currency.

My belief is the Kitakami won't be available through normal means.  I'd guess it could be a ship auctioned off to limit the number available.  We'll see.  The upside to waiting is that in a couple of months I could get Ohio or possibly a new addition to the RB (although I already have GA, and Mass that sort fit that play style). 

Edited by Slimeball91

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,772
[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,137 battles

 

1 hour ago, Slimeball91 said:

My belief is the Kitakami won't be available through normal means.  I'd guess it could be a ship auctioned off to limit the number available.  We'll see.  The upside to waiting is that in a couple of months I could get Ohio or possibly a new addition to the RB (although I already have GA, and Mass that sort fit that play style). 

If I get one, I am sailing it everyday. LOL They fixed the TK system so it is hard to pinko. That is in prep for Kitakami. 

WG always has a plan. Now the sales pitch...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,772
[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,137 battles

I never sailed Paolo. So, my perspective is a player in another ship. 

From what I see players do with it is sail fast, fire torpedoes, then die.

And both teams let out a sigh of relief at the yellow helmet wearing player that says: 'Look what I can do!" in tighty whiteys. LOL

I guess, ask an expert DD player. Maybe a streamer that is a DD God. 

I only saw one that is God-Like in his DD play. 

TMGrunty. AKA Hard to Kill. Ask him about the DD. He most likely played it and can tell you what to do, and what not to do. He may even have a data sheet on recommended upgrades and skills to use. 

I always feel that if you don't know something, then ask a subject matter expert. This guy is an expert. And he sounds harsh with his criticism, but it is the truth. Most people hate the truth being told to them about gameplay, but it is what it is. 

A player can either ignore Grunty's advice or heed it. But ignore at your peril. Heed it and play better. 

I believe he is on a different time schedule because he streams from Germany. But he will answer chat questions. But that is not the great part. Just watch him play. Now that is some interesting stuff. 

Also, if you want to get a grin on his face, ask him Roon or Hipper? Which waifu he likes? 

Don't mention me when you ask that question by the way. LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,167
[PVE]
Members
8,775 posts
12 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

If I get one, I am sailing it everyday. LOL They fixed the TK system so it is hard to pinko. That is in prep for Kitakami. 

WG always has a plan. Now the sales pitch...

I'm pretty sure the TK change has more to do with subs.  The subs have homing torps that the target ship can break the lock sending the torps in unintended directions.  More importantly, I think the change was so friendly ships can shoot at subs in close proximity to teammates.  Same with depth charges you intend to hit enemy subs, but you have a friendly sub trying to engage it too. 

7 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

I guess, ask an expert DD player. Maybe a streamer that is a DD God. 

I'm not playing in PVP, so I more or less only care about experiences from co-op players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,772
[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,137 battles
5 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I'm pretty sure the TK change has more to do with subs.  The subs have homing torps that the target ship can break the lock sending the torps in unintended directions.  More importantly, I think the change was so friendly ships can shoot at subs in close proximity to teammates.  Same with depth charges you intend to hit enemy subs, but you have a friendly sub trying to engage it too. 

I'm not playing in PVP, so I more or less only care about experiences from co-op players.

Ah, well. I see Paolos sail in there all the time and make BB players inflamante. Because before you can get a 3rd shot off, that Paolo has sunk that BB they were looking at.

If you sail it, you will do fine. Just don't make the BB players too angy. LOL
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
95
[WOLFC]
Members
193 posts
20,950 battles

I got the Paolo and I only play it in Co-op.

It's probably the most fun ship I got through RB (I also have Ohio and Siegfried). I try to only play it once per day. Why? Well, it's super fun for me but for everyone else on my team? Not so much. Since I play all the ship classes regularly, I am well aware of what it's like to be in a BB spawned at the back, watching a Paolo sprint away at 46kts, smoke Yolo the only 2 or 3 ships on my half of the map, then explode and leave me there starved out.

With Paolo in PVE, the game play is all about how to skirt the initial DD wave to get to the cruisers and BBs. I tend to take an elliptical path and use islands to screen myself from the DD's line of sight, then smoke, speed boost and bum rush the best targets available.

Occasionally I survive.

But either way, it's fun and unlike other DD play where you may be inclined to do normal DD things like take caps and spot.

If this sounds like fun and not an onerous chore to you, then I can't recommend the Paolo enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
386
[-AGW-]
Beta Testers
646 posts
1 hour ago, aardvark7734 said:

I got the Paolo and I only play it in Co-op.

It's probably the most fun ship I got through RB (I also have Ohio and Siegfried). I try to only play it once per day. Why? Well, it's super fun for me but for everyone else on my team? Not so much. Since I play all the ship classes regularly, I am well aware of what it's like to be in a BB spawned at the back, watching a Paolo sprint away at 46kts, smoke Yolo the only 2 or 3 ships on my half of the map, then explode and leave me there starved out.

With Paolo in PVE, the game play is all about how to skirt the initial DD wave to get to the cruisers and BBs. I tend to take an elliptical path and use islands to screen myself from the DD's line of sight, then smoke, speed boost and bum rush the best targets available.

Occasionally I survive.

But either way, it's fun and unlike other DD play where you may be inclined to do normal DD things like take caps and spot.

If this sounds like fun and not an onerous chore to you, then I can't recommend the Paolo enough.

Good on you. I hate seeing those things in COOP with competent captains for the reasons you described.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,221
[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
5,407 posts
15,676 battles
3 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

My belief is the Kitakami won't be available through normal means.  I'd guess it could be a ship auctioned off to limit the number available.  We'll see.  The upside to waiting is that in a couple of months I could get Ohio or possibly a new addition to the RB (although I already have GA, and Mass that sort fit that play style). 

I play mostly BBs I got the Ohio its a strong fun ship to play . I'm not good enough in DDs to play them in tier 10 but if you like BBs the Ohio is a good ship . It would be a great ship if they ever put the secondaries back to normal or buffed them a little .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
445
[--K--]
Supertester
1,753 posts
21,593 battles

I think it will be a barrel of fun for you, the ships that spawn behind you not as much. 

It, Benham, Shima and Minotar are the ships I do not want to spawn on my side of the map. 

I will be getting one fairly soon, plan is to gun down the enemy DD with the sap shells before using the smoke/engine boost to torp the cruiser and then get the BB. Most of the maps these days are 3 distinct flanks so if you win yours you will have time to reload the consumables/torps to make the way to the other flanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,870
[GUTS]
[GUTS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,387 posts
29,449 battles

PA is highly situational. 

Very selfish play.

The Duid is a much better and fun ship to play.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,436 battles

You will never be able to become "that guy" when someone refers to the Paolo Emilio main. :Smile_trollface:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,456
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,665 posts
12,561 battles

1. Sail straight, but veer slightly to any side.

2. Bot DD tends to be spotted first before you unless it's like a shima

3. Use fuel smoke either before being spotted or shoot a salvo at a DD then smoke up

4. Shoot at bot DD if it's still spotted, if not just keep gunning for the cruiser or BB nearby. Keep in mind of smoke firing detection

5. Rush said cruiser or BB

6. Repeat if still alive

 

:Smile_trollface:

 

 

 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
695
[WOLF9]
Members
2,317 posts
35,820 battles

I have to say that I am ALMOST in the same boat as the OP.   Coop main and I have seen a good number of PE in games and they look like a blast to play. There are no other RB ships that interest me (I have the Ohio) and I have 63k RB points. 

The only thing stopping me from pulling the trigger is that I want to see where the Napoli lands resource wise, as that is my next 'Gotta have' ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
394
[_BDA_]
Members
906 posts
14,559 battles
On 7/5/2021 at 5:59 PM, Slimeball91 said:

As the title says, I am thinking about getting the Paolo Emilio, and looking for arguments for or against going that route. 

Okay...  Don't get Paolo Emilio.  There, you're talked out of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39,261
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,720 posts
26,569 battles

"Can you talk me out of getting Paolo Emilio?"

WG's business decisions, balancing issues and how they treat their respected CCs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,113
[TSF]
Members
924 posts
21,849 battles
22 hours ago, Lert said:

"Can you talk me out of getting Paolo Emilio?"

WG's business decisions, balancing issues and how they treat their respected CCs.

Lert is absolutely dead on here. 100% correct.

That said, leaving Lert's very relevant comment aside, Paolo is a blast. 

If you are a DD Co-Op main,  pull the trigger on Paolo. You won't regret it. 

 

For Bona fides, I have 430+ ships, 10,000+ battles: for RB I have Ohio, Slava, Paolo Emilio and 113,000 RB points on reserve. 

Edited by Litigo_1970

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
445
[--K--]
Supertester
1,753 posts
21,593 battles
On 7/6/2021 at 6:22 PM, Lert said:

"Can you talk me out of getting Paolo Emilio?"

WG's business decisions, balancing issues and how they treat their respected CCs.

Are you asking us all to stop spending all in game  resources as well as halting doubs rather than just not buying Yukon? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39,261
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,720 posts
26,569 battles
5 hours ago, GandalfTehGray said:

Are you asking us all to stop spending all in game  resources as well as halting doubs rather than just not buying Yukon? 

Nope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,167
[PVE]
Members
8,775 posts

Thanks for the replies.  Also, a big thanks to desmo for the Kitakami reminder, I'll be waiting at least the next patch to see if there is any news on that front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×