You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Turbotush

The best thing about Grand Battles

33 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
7,138 posts
12,577 battles

You just gave WG the idea of adding super CVs.

Wouldn't be surprised if Russian premiums at that too.

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts
2 hours ago, Reymu said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Russian premiums at that too.

Just let me bring in HMS Habakkuk. They've had her modeled for many years and adding b24s wouldn't be too hard.

• Cool 1

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,146 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

Just let me bring in HMS Habakkuk. They've had her modeled for many years and adding b24s wouldn't be too hard.

That thing is so huge, you can fly Lancasters off it. B24s, pish posh. The Brits would load those drum bombs on them and watch them wheel their way to a BB. That would be hilarious to drop the original dam buster bombs on a BB. :cap_win:

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts
29 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

That thing is so huge, you can fly Lancasters off it. B24s, pish posh. The Brits would load those drum bombs on them and watch them wheel their way to a BB. That would be hilarious to drop the original dam buster bombs on a BB. :cap_win:

Bring in the b25s with the nose mounted 75 mm cannon to strafe dds.

• Funny 2

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,146 battles

I actually played Midway in that mode and let me say, it is deadly. Even DDs get dropped with the HE bombs. Those hurt worse than rockets. And  RN carpet bomber would have a field day.

So, IDK, I wouldn't advertise that. CV players go where the money is. And they do love a DD that "shakes it like a salt shaker". 

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,146 battles
18 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Bring in the b25s with the nose mounted 75 mm cannon to strafe dds.

Oh, but that is mean. What if the DDs scream bloody murder?

75MM can pen anything on a DD, and since it is HE, some of those guys will explode. 

Show some mercy dude. LOL:cap_haloween:

[RLGN]
Members
19,142 posts
35,184 battles
12 minutes ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

I actually played Midway in that mode and let me say, it is deadly. Even DDs get dropped with the HE bombs. Those hurt worse than rockets. And  RN carpet bomber would have a field day.

So, IDK, I wouldn't advertise that. CV players go where the money is. And they do love a DD that "shakes it like a salt shaker". 

Was going to say; why no CVs? Can’t the T10s be used?

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,146 battles
10 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Yes, tier 10s can be used. But I use my Midway to spot their CV first, then my team BBs hit it dead. At least, that is the plan. 

But plans and execution are different even there.

[WPORT]
Members
20,733 posts
22,656 battles
18 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Yes.  They can.

20210705_221248_PJSA110-Hakuryu_51_Greece.wowsreplay
20210705_222923_PJSA110-Hakuryu_51_Greece.wowsreplay
20210705_223956_PJSA110-Hakuryu_41_Conquest.wowsreplay

[RLGN]
Members
19,142 posts
35,184 battles
6 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Tell me FDR isn't a super CV.

Depending on a few details, Midway and Hak would be as well; they used to field jets.

[NSEW]
Members
2,909 posts
12,205 battles
14 hours ago, Turbotush said:

This.......

shot-21_07.05_15_37.08-0441.thumb.jpg.ba6100a1a6297d94d5cac8e80da41666.jpg

Only if you can get them.  I have had many games with unsaid CVs.

[ARGSY]
Members
31,078 posts
29,316 battles
8 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

It is and it isn't. Even before the latest rocket changes, the combination of DD visibility from the air, the FDR rocket planes not having a fighter consumable for embedded spotting and the length of the FDR rocket planes' pre-attack run-in meant that the FDR couldn't strike an unspotted destroyer. 

8 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I think it's a function of people preferring to spam-grind their T9 ships in an environment where stats aren't being kept plus another sub-population which doesn't have 21 point commanders and just wants to YOLO, die and collect their battle points so they can drive the super-BBs and farm ECXP with the loan captains. Easier to do that in a destroyer or cruiser, take one or two with you so you can say you did your part, then lather rinse repeat.

Plus T10 CV is a very long grind from Tier 8, not every carrier driver has one, the FDR is the most expensive steel ship, and not everyone with a ship-ton of coal wants to spend it on the Immelmann just so they can have a T10 CV to play with.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[ARGSY]
Members
31,078 posts
29,316 battles
9 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Or the Tallboy 12,000lb super-AP earthquake bombs that they actually used to sink Tirpitz IRL.

[NG-NL]
Members
7,138 posts
12,577 battles
10 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

Locked behind ton of Ranked and CBs, so ignoring it.

[SALVO]
Members
16,452 posts
10,192 battles
18 hours ago, Reymu said:

TBH, I wouldn't mind a special game mode for a Super CV. At least the rules will be clear and you know what to expect, you could confidently load up a full AA package and have some payback from your investment. You could role play like a proper Carrier Task Force or form up a compact Hunter-Killer squadron and push up for the enemy CV. I would actually be an excellent setup for a Protect VIP game mode. And more importantly, would be a separated voluntary participation mode. 

• Cool 1

Members
2,039 posts
14,276 battles
14 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Completely ineffective.  The dam busters we’re aiming at a dam, with no armor penetration and the bomb would sink too much to cause any damage even if you could hit a bb with it.  It would probably wash the ship pretty well, though.  

[NG-NL]
Members
7,138 posts
12,577 battles
6 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

TBH, I wouldn't mind a special game mode for a Super CV. At least the rules will be clear and you know what to expect, you could confidently load up a full AA package and have some payback from your investment. You could role play like a proper Carrier Task Force or form up a compact Hunter-Killer squadron and push up for the enemy CV. I would actually be an excellent setup for a Protect VIP game mode. And more importantly, would be a separated voluntary participation mode. 

AA satisfaction depending on whether the full AA and standard AA make a difference in terms of damage. Tried AA captain skills on couple of mine, hardly any difference, so spent EXCP to respec.

[SALVO]
Members
16,452 posts
10,192 battles
6 minutes ago, Reymu said:

AA satisfaction depending on whether the full AA and standard AA make a difference in terms of damage. Tried AA captain skills on couple of mine, hardly any difference, so spent EXCP to respec.

I'm satisfied with my 20% extra AA cruiser skill, it adds up and frankly there's not much else at T4 Cruiser Tree

[SR-_-]
Members
5,505 posts
53,146 battles
8 hours ago, comtedumas said:

Completely ineffective.  The dam busters we’re aiming at a dam, with no armor penetration and the bomb would sink too much to cause any damage even if you could hit a bb with it.  It would probably wash the ship pretty well, though.  

A detonation under water is more damaging to a ship. Especially under the ship. because it briefly lifts the ship out of the water. This is especially demonstrated by the mark 48 seabass torpedo. 

[KRAK]
Members
1,946 posts
19,352 battles

I'm 12 for 12 in my last Grand Battles (100% win rate). I'm extremely lousy in Ranked. For Grand, I have been using my 19 pointer in FDG, sec build. GK is too big and slow, and detection is not good, so FDG is easier to play.

Members
6,667 posts
22 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

Nah, they could add JFK and Kuznetsov, then you'd have Super CVs.

[PVE]
Members
8,775 posts
6 minutes ago, Kesh_Lives said:

Nah, they could add JFK and Kuznetsov, then you'd have Super CVs.

I don't know.  "Super" ships get advantages that allow them to do far more damage than other ships of their type.  FDR fits that.