You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BroEvil

Ise is a horrible ship

24 comments in this topic

[JRGC-]
[JRGC-]
Beta Testers
71 posts
7,477 battles

I made the mistake of purchasing the ISE.

Now to be fair I was really looking forward to the ship, as It is one of my favorites of WW2 due to the oddness of it. After playing it I was totally dissapointed in it. You have your team complaining that what are you doing? So much for trying to fly and spot, much less do any kind of meaningful attack with the nerfed torp bombers. Why was the need felt to nerf the torps so bad? It makes the attack useless. The speed of the torps is way to slow compared to the HISTORICAL torps of the day from 1934-1945...yes the type 91. The damage is also way off, 2760...seriously? Im am not saying give it super torps, but the way they are nerfed is stupid, why fly the planes? Now try to lvl the ship while doing all of the above...talk about spinning your wheels. You could have just left them historical, without them being a wonder weapon. 42 Knots historical isnt over the top for balance, and the true damage could be raised a bit, yet again not over the top of historical...At least make it worth using them to attack...nerf the reload time a bit if you have to.

The Gunnery of the ship is ok, no real complaints there, as you already have a true historical penalty with angles of fire, which makes it a challenge to do well...thats a good thing...realistic. It does a pretty fair job considering.

The AA is ok, no complaints there

The real need is to be able to toggle between planes and ships WITHOUT having to recall them to deal with situations/threats arising with the ship...thats what makes ship unique, its not a CV, but gets treated like one...its also a battleship...takes the fun out of it. Nothing worse then being in the middle of a plane attack and you cant deal with the threat, without having to recall the planes that are almost there.

Was hoping this ship would be better... Its kind of like a Quint fire truck...should do all the jobs well..just not fantastic.

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
6,769 posts
7,727 battles

The vast majority of the positive feedback on Ise mentions the utility of the torp bombers to force ships to show broadsides, basically creating short crossfires. Are you trying this? 

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 2

[BGA]
Alpha Tester
4,056 posts
33,027 battles
40 minutes ago, BroEvil said:

The real need is to be able to toggle between planes and ships WITHOUT having to recall them to deal with situations/threats arising with the ship...thats what makes ship unique, its not a CV, but gets treated like one...its also a battleship...takes the fun out of it. Nothing worse then being in the middle of a plane attack and you cant deal with the threat, without having to recall the planes that are almost there.

Thats part of the balancing of the hybrid. You dont get to have the best of both worlds at all times. You forsake control of your ship to use the planes and vice versa. It limits your plane use to keep you from being a full on CV while also being a battleship. The concept idea isnt that you're allowed to defend and attack at the same time but that you play in a manner where you're doing one or the other.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,856 posts
12,319 battles

I've only seen TONE being used so far in several battles and it was essentially dead weight for the team the majority of the time. 

All the other players using Tone just used the thing to torp whatever they had just lit on fire once they realized the target didn't have repair up... so they could get fires and floods running it down. Not a bad strategy but the weenie torps and low flood chance made the whole effort mostly harmless. 

Only one player I saw use the aircraft to help the team and he did so by spotting with it not attacking. It was amazing. He parked his Tone near an island and for the next 5 minutes kept the red ships on one flank and center fully spotted (except for DDs which he avoided due to AA) and this allowed our own ships to rain long range fire and HE on multiple red ships nonstop... the only reason the entire flank was won with little damage to us and why the center was contained was because of this one guy spotting for 5 minutes. 

Ise, if used similarly, would be an interesting rear line support BB for other BBs... using plane to spot and like the Tone I saw, entering battle itself when the plane was on reload timer. 

[WPORT]
Members
20,824 posts
22,706 battles
1 hour ago, BroEvil said:

I made the mistake of purchasing the ISE.

Now to be fair I was really looking forward to the ship, as It is one of my favorites of WW2 due to the oddness of it. After playing it I was totally dissapointed in it. You have your team complaining that what are you doing? So much for trying to fly and spot, much less do any kind of meaningful attack with the nerfed torp bombers. Why was the need felt to nerf the torps so bad? It makes the attack useless. The speed of the torps is way to slow compared to the HISTORICAL torps of the day from 1934-1945...yes the type 91. The damage is also way off, 2760...seriously? Im am not saying give it super torps, but the way they are nerfed is stupid, why fly the planes? Now try to lvl the ship while doing all of the above...talk about spinning your wheels. You could have just left them historical, without them being a wonder weapon. 42 Knots historical isnt over the top for balance, and the true damage could be raised a bit, yet again not over the top of historical...At least make it worth using them to attack...nerf the reload time a bit if you have to.

The Gunnery of the ship is ok, no real complaints there, as you already have a true historical penalty with angles of fire, which makes it a challenge to do well...thats a good thing...realistic. It does a pretty fair job considering.

The AA is ok, no complaints there

Was hoping this ship would be better... Its kind of like a Quint fire truck...should do all the jobs well..just not fantastic.

CV Player be asking you, "So.  Your first time?"  :cap_tea:

Ise is a BB with a minor in aerial attacks.  The torpedoes are numerous, but hit like fluffy pillows.  Ise's guns are decent, but she has no good way to engage ships behind her, due to the flight deck masking any chance of firing to the stern.

Personally, I think the Ise is a fun ship to play.  But, by playing CV's, I've learned the time-management and auto-pilot management skills to juggle my time in the air with my time in the planes ship to (I hope) be reasonably effective with the ship.
I enjoy sailing her in Scenario Operations.  I've also sailed her in ranked battles, and Co-op.  Randoms might be a bit of a challenge.  But it's not like she can't go there, with the proper expectations in mind.

Good luck.  :-)

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

[META_]
Members
1,963 posts
23,082 battles

Sorry buddy but you'll get the hang of it....her AA is 2 points higher than the tier 8 Baltimore/Cleveland....her planes are almost 8mune to tier 6 AA , you only have trouble against tier 8 and that's if you're loitering  . Her planes have more health than the tier 8 tones...I have 2 videos up showing how I play her and I'm over 60% in her and getting close to that in my Tone which I'll get a guide on in a week or so...good luck captain...

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,735 posts
26,574 battles

I suspect error between keyboard and chair.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

[GWG]
Members
8,018 posts
15,881 battles

What you don't realize is that the reload timer STARTS when you launch.
So if you spot during the entire reload period, you can go ahead and drop - then come back immediately.
I'm sure WG will nerf this by requiring the operator to drop within 60 seconds or the planes auto-return

Another tactic is to drop torps in order to line up a cruiser broadside to your awaiting ISE main AP guns.  So you drop, return and get rifles aimed in anticipation.
WG will nerf this by restarting a gun reload cycle whenever you return from planes.

Edited by AVR_Project

[WPORT]
Members
20,824 posts
22,706 battles
18 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

What you don't realize is that the reload timer STARTS when you launch.
So if you spot during the entire reload period, you can go ahead and drop - then come back immediately.
I'm sure WG will nerf this by requiring the operator to drop within 60 seconds or the planes auto-return

Another tactic is to drop torps in order to line up a cruiser broadside to your awaiting ISE main AP guns.  So you drop, return and get rifles aimed in anticipation.
WG will nerf this by restarting a gun reload cycle whenever you return from planes.

Don't give WG ideas.  ;-)

• Funny 1

Members
808 posts

I've seen several player feedback videos that showed ISE is being a solid ship. perhaps you just need to play some practice battles in training rooms to get the hang of it. 

• Cool 1

[JRGC-]
[JRGC-]
Beta Testers
71 posts
7,477 battles
2 hours ago, Meta_Man said:

Sorry buddy but you'll get the hang of it....her AA is 2 points higher than the tier 8 Baltimore/Cleveland....her planes are almost 8mune to tier 6 AA , you only have trouble against tier 8 and that's if you're loitering  . Her planes have more health than the tier 8 tones...I have 2 videos up showing how I play her and I'm over 60% in her and getting close to that in my Tone which I'll get a guide on in a week or so...good luck captain...

If you noticed, I did NOT knock the guns or AA.  As far as the planes vs AA, you are correct. I just hate to see weapons get so nerfed in this game to the point of being useless. Its pretty sad when a DD can outrun torps 35knots for starters, when the historical speed was 45 knots..by no means super torps...thats just silly.  Now add the pathetic damage, why fly the planes? Do I consider myself an expert player...no...Just an average guy, so Im not expecting miracles ;) I just think they could have done a way better job with this ship.

[JRGC-]
[JRGC-]
Beta Testers
71 posts
7,477 battles
2 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

CV Player be asking you, "So.  Your first time?"  :cap_tea:

Ise is a BB with a minor in aerial attacks.  The torpedoes are numerous, but hit like fluffy pillows.  Ise's guns are decent, but she has no good way to engage ships behind her, due to the flight deck masking any chance of firing to the stern.

Personally, I think the Ise is a fun ship to play.  But, by playing CV's, I've learned the time-management and auto-pilot management skills to juggle my time in the air with my time in the planes ship to (I hope) be reasonably effective with the ship.
I enjoy sailing her in Scenario Operations.  I've also sailed her in ranked battles, and Co-op.  Randoms might be a bit of a challenge.  But it's not like she can't go there, with the proper expectations in mind.

I dont normaly run cv's, so you are correct there..BUT..My biggest complaint is the damage when you do hit...way too low. I only ran Random with her. Could really be a fun ship if they fix a few things with the planes aspect of the ship..It just really makes the flying part of the ship really suck, especialy when you have your team asking what are you doing...that would be spotting lol. As far as the guns, I had no complaint, I found that quite accurate, along with decent AA...Sure shes a turtle speed wise, and turns are sluggish, but a player can adapt to that.

• Thanks 1

[JRGC-]
[JRGC-]
Beta Testers
71 posts
7,477 battles
3 hours ago, Skyfaller said:

I've only seen TONE being used so far in several battles and it was essentially dead weight for the team the majority of the time. 

All the other players using Tone just used the thing to torp whatever they had just lit on fire once they realized the target didn't have repair up... so they could get fires and floods running it down. Not a bad strategy but the weenie torps and low flood chance made the whole effort mostly harmless. 

Only one player I saw use the aircraft to help the team and he did so by spotting with it not attacking. It was amazing. He parked his Tone near an island and for the next 5 minutes kept the red ships on one flank and center fully spotted (except for DDs which he avoided due to AA) and this allowed our own ships to rain long range fire and HE on multiple red ships nonstop... the only reason the entire flank was won with little damage to us and why the center was contained was because of this one guy spotting for 5 minutes. 

Ise, if used similarly, would be an interesting rear line support BB for other BBs... using plane to spot and like the Tone I saw, entering battle itself when the plane was on reload timer. 

The funny part is, when you do that the team screams a BB is doing nothing. I just love how the torps are magically nerfed to do no damage, yet regular cv planes do. It really makes the ship useless. I have only seen a cpl other Ise out there...must be something wrong that people dont want to play it...just an honest observation. Spotting gives you no real score too..hard to lvl then.

Edited by BroEvil

[JRGC-]
[JRGC-]
Beta Testers
71 posts
7,477 battles
3 hours ago, Lert said:

Always one in the crowd that comes up with that, other than discussing it.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
27,735 posts
26,574 battles
3 minutes ago, BroEvil said:

Always one in the crowd that comes up with that, other than discussing it.

Your post invited no discussion. It was a whine post, pure and simple. You want discussion? Ask questions.

Edited by Lert
  • Cool 1

[JRGC-]
[JRGC-]
Beta Testers
71 posts
7,477 battles
1 minute ago, Lert said:

Your post invited no discussion. It was a whine post without any question for help.

My post was an honest opinion of the glaring faults with the ship OVERALL. That includes planes, torps, and ability to lvl vs other ships. They dropped the ball here, and I'm not going to be a fanboy about it and say all is well.

• Cool 1

[WTFS]
Members
9,331 posts
13,756 battles
4 hours ago, Lert said:

Hang on, guys, Lert may be on to something here...

[WPORT]
Members
20,824 posts
22,706 battles
2 hours ago, BroEvil said:

I dont normaly run cv's, so you are correct there..BUT..My biggest complaint is the damage when you do hit...way too low. I only ran Random with her. Could really be a fun ship if they fix a few things with the planes aspect of the ship..It just really makes the flying part of the ship really suck, especialy when you have your team asking what are you doing...that would be spotting lol. As far as the guns, I had no complaint, I found that quite accurate, along with decent AA...Sure shes a turtle speed wise, and turns are sluggish, but a player can adapt to that.

I'm going to assume you've read LittleWhiteMouse's review.  https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/239683-premium-ship-review-ise/?tab=comments#comment-5474247

I'll enclose some screen-shots I took a while ago, after I first welcomed the Ise to my port.  These are merely for comparison.  Not everyone shares my play-style, and that's okay.

Spoiler

shot-21_06.04_13_17.02-0900.thumb.jpg.5141f7074e909af554595e70bbb80002.jpg

shot-21_06.04_13_17.10-0373.thumb.jpg.6948afc37f3e59c3ac5c2d370178f4b8.jpg

shot-21_06.04_13_17.36-0902.thumb.jpg.26effaa2f2aa2598b3517b7568e16db3.jpg

As others have pointed out, the Ise's Aircraft are a blend of "consumable" and "CV planes" with BB Captain's Skills limitations.  (Can't augment the planes with CV Captain's Skills.)
They respond to the same control behaviors as CV planes do, as far as WASD and mouse handling goes.
They have a cool-down time, similar to a consumable. (As was pointed out, once you're in the air, the timer counts down.  If you stay aloft long enough, fresh planes are ready & waiting upon your return.)
Unlike a CV, they're not ready immediately when a battle starts, one has to wait for the planes to become "ready".

I tend to sail the ship to an appropriate position for a BB, so that it can contribute main-gun firepower.
When opportunities are available, I may launch the planes for a quick strike on a nearby target (while waiting for the Ise's main-guns to reload, for example).
If spotting is needed, it is a viable option.

With the same 24.5 knot speed of a Fuso, the Tier-6 Ise isn't overly fast or overly slow.

She can bow-tank competently, and hit an opponent's starboard or portside with torpedoes from the planes.

The torpedoes are slow (35 knots), which is a standard aerial torpedo speed for USN, British and certain German CV's.  
When aiming at a BB traveling 20 knots, lead the target by about 1/2 a ship length if you're coming in for an ideal torpedo-drop from directly to the starboard or portside of a target.
Faster ships will require more lead.
At least the drop pattern is fairly wide.  If the planes survive the AA bubble(s), and the target doesn't maneuver, a good number of torpedoes may hit.
Even if the target does maneuver, the planes spotted the target and teammates may be able to contribute timely firepower (if for some reason, your own guns are blocked by an island).
Some time in the training room may help with this.  It is up to you.

Planning helps play this ship better, I feel.

I hope you won't give up. 

The Ise is an interesting 'bote and can be a lot of fun, if you can figure-out how to leverage her features and minimize exposure of her vulnerabilities.

P.S.  If you want to familiarize yourself with torpedo plane behavior, this video illustrates the basics. https://youtu.be/qjyQVM2sGAo?t=135

Edited by Wolfswetpaws

[JRGC-]
[JRGC-]
Beta Testers
71 posts
7,477 battles

Nice reply..thank you.  Will look at your ideas.... most of that I have tried, but your ship setup is different from mine by taking torp protection...actually a great idea after playing her.

Edited by BroEvil

[META_]
Members
1,963 posts
23,082 battles
3 hours ago, BroEvil said:

The funny part is, when you do that the team screams a BB is doing nothing. I just love how the torps are magically nerfed to do no damage, yet regular cv planes do. It really makes the ship useless. I have only seen a cpl other Ise out there...must be something wrong that people dont want to play it...just an honest observation. Spotting gives you no real score too..hard to lvl then.

You guys are both smoking Crack,  Ise and Tone are #1 in winrate...no dead weight....check the stats b4 condemnation captains...the global winrate is 54%.....mine is higher but wth do you want.....its an OP

ship....she is stronger at tier 6 than Tone at tier 8 and she's leading that tier and class also

Screenshot_20210705-174433_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Meta_Man

[FAL-I]
[FAL-I]
Members
1,122 posts
46,863 battles

who can give me 1129 doubloons I want to have the ISE, please thank you very much.

shot-21.07.24_16.31.11-0116.jpg

Edited by rafael_azuaje

[COLAB]
Members
136 posts
11,422 battles

I bought Ise last week. I thought it was fun for level VI. But yesterday I realized that it has no defense against submarines. WG needs update.

Members
97 posts
7,222 battles

It is a fun ship, and you are right it has no defense against subs, i think wg means for your planes to torp the sub and for the record its not the only one with no sub defense,  I think all the dutch ships, i know the Kearsarge doesnt and the Tone. 

Another thing about ISE is, while its fun at tier 6 it is no fun against Tier 8 which is too common in todays game.

Members
97 posts
7,222 battles

I dont know if anybody noticed but WG gave the Kearsage, Tone and ISE a buff to their airplanes, its located in slot 3 as Airgroups modification, I dont remember reading about it and only found it by accident when i was reviewing the ISE equipment loadout.

Instead of 2 minute load, with this airgroups loaded, the load time drops to 1 minute and 45 seconds, the planes speed is 5 knots faster and they have improved the hit points on the planes, its really not worth having but i really wish they would put the airstrike on as you are completely vunerable to subs, in fact every game i get killed in, its a sub that will get me.