Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Hammer_n_Sickle

I'm so pissed (Bot torping cheating caught on replay)

27 comments in this topic

[T_O_P]
Members
713 posts

GOD FKIN DAMNIT! I'm so pissed right now (and I've had a few so)... 

long story short, I haven't played Juria for a looong time and figured i'd take her out. (don't mind my horrible play, that's not the point, and like I said, i am still quite buzzed)

ANYWAY...

so here I am up close with a red bot dd, he shoots a set of torps, I shoot and blow him up immediately, manage to avoid the torps, and suddenly (ALMOST 2!!! seconds after already being blown up the fkin thing shoots another set of torps!!!! NO they were not "already in the water". I checked the replay. and attaching it.

I haven't encountered this for a long time. I remember people discussing bots cheating like 2 YEARS AGO! I thought ok maybe WG have quietly toned down some of the cheats but fkin NO! and I caught it in a replay.

I know this may be a "boring" subject, and people may say "so what we know they cheat" but think of the impact these cheats can have on the new players when they see sh!t like that. Or even long time players that "arent so happy with WG" for one reason or another. Sure you could "arguably" justify some bot-cheats by lying to yourself "well ...blah blah blah the bot turned from torps immediately blah blah.." or if it "shoots the moment it blows up" Fine, but you can't possibly justify shooting torps nearly 2 seconds after and already sinking. NO WAY!

WG FIX THIS STUPID SH!T ALREADY. IT IS VERY INSULTING. :cap_viking:

Sorry Komrades I didn't want to revive this necro issue but there it is caught happening beyond any shadow of doubt, and much worse than I thought.

20210705_033844_PVSD506-Jurua_17_NA_fault_line.wowsreplay

Edited by Hammer_n_Sickle
spelling
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 3

[XG]
Members
539 posts

You must not play much Co-op. PvE mains soon become accustomed to erratic and often mystifying bot behavior.

Remember, WOWS runs on a very old game engine, and MOBs always use a bigger chunk of server resources than humans. Add to that Lesta puts very little effort into toaster programming (you can't even begin to fancy it as an "AI") so they give the MOBs spidey-sense and superpowers to give the poor  little bots half a chance. Since WG values PvP over PvE, the servers are probably optimized and prioritized for PvP>PvE.

Taken all together, you have a recipe for desynching, rendering lag, and generally piss-poor performance that can account for 99% of bot "cheating".

Just roll with it. It's not going to get any better.

Edited by Xidax_Gamer
  • Cool 4
  • Thanks 3

[KREW]
Members
652 posts
17,646 battles

Welcome to the club.

I've had that happen at least a dozen times, confirmed. I've also caught it on video at least 4 times where bots launch torps a couple of seconds AFTER they explode. Virtually the same scenario as yours a couple times: I launch torps, they hit bot, he explodes, no torps from him in the water as I am at point-blank range and could clearly see them... but no, I am safe. Then, impossibly, I see torps come from the already dead, burning, and sinking ship seconds AFTER he is dead.

It's no rumor, mistake, whatever. It happens, I've seen it multiple times and videoed it several times.

But what ya gonna do...?

• Cool 2

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

Thats why I always try to keep bot dds bow on. Then sink them. Torps always leave them for someone at the last minute.

I dont even worry about it anymore.

Edited by xHeavy
  • Cool 2

[USCC]
Members
3,911 posts
19,267 battles
21 minutes ago, Xidax_Gamer said:

You must not play much Co-op. PvE mains soon become accustomed to erratic and often mystifying bot behavior.

Remember, WOWS runs on a very old game engine, and MOBs always use a bigger chunk of server resources than humans. Add to that Lesta puts very little effort into toaster programming (you can't even begin to fancy it as an "AI") so they give the MOBs spidey-sense and superpowers to give the poor  little bots half a chance. Since WG values PvP over PvE, the servers are probably optimized and prioritized for PvP>PvE.

Taken all together, you have a recipe for desynching, rendering lag, and generally piss-poor performance that can account for 99% of bot "cheating".

Just roll with it. It's not going to get any better.

Pretty much bang on!!!

• Cool 2

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,630 posts
5,107 battles
1 hour ago, Hammer_n_Sickle said:

GOD FKIN DAMNIT! I'm so pissed right now (and I've had a few so)... 

long story short, I haven't played Juria for a looong time and figured i'd take her out. (don't mind my horrible play, that's not the point, and like I said, i am still quite buzzed)

ANYWAY...

so here I am up close with a red bot dd, he shoots a set of torps, I shoot and blow him up immediately, manage to avoid the torps, and suddenly (ALMOST 2!!! seconds after already being blown up the fkin thing shoots another set of torps!!!! NO they were not "already in the water". I checked the replay. and attaching it.

I haven't encountered this for a long time. I remember people discussing bots cheating like 2 YEARS AGO! I thought ok maybe WG have quietly toned down some of the cheats but fkin NO! and I caught it in a replay.

I know this may be a "boring" subject, and people may say "so what we know they cheat" but think of the impact these cheats can have on the new players when they see sh!t like that. Or even long time players that "arent so happy with WG" for one reason or another. Sure you could "arguably" justify some bot-cheats by lying to yourself "well ...blah blah blah the bot turned from torps immediately blah blah.." or if it "shoots the moment it blows up" Fine, but you can't possibly justify shooting torps nearly 2 seconds after and already sinking. NO WAY!

WG FIX THIS STUPID SH!T ALREADY. IT IS VERY INSULTING. :cap_viking:

Sorry Komrades I didn't want to revive this necro issue but there it is caught happening beyond any shadow of doubt, and much worse than I thought.

20210705_033844_PVSD506-Jurua_17_NA_fault_line.wowsreplay

Imagine playing PVE and then complaining that bots, that use legit programmed aim-hacks are cheating.

~Hunter

• Boring 1

[CLUMP]
Members
2,861 posts
3,004 battles

Bots cheat and all bot ship classes do this :Smile_hiding:

[FOXY]
Members
4,717 posts
8,947 battles
32 minutes ago, Hunter_Steel said:

Imagine playing PVE and then complaining that bots, that use legit programmed aim-hacks are cheating.

~Hunter

We cant have that! But really, if op learned how the bots behave they can pretty easily be abused.

Then again there are players who say coop is hard. *shrug*

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,535 posts
29,670 battles

Bots don't cheat, they're programmed to win!

[SHAN]
Beta Testers
926 posts

I have times where I am fighting a torp armed bot, have him almost killed throw my throttle in reverse and make a sharp direction change  and then accelerate to prevent being hit by the inevitable after death torp launch, kill the bot and have torps come from an impossible angle from that bot. The torps would have had to been launch out their bow or their stern to have the angle I am at. It does not happen often just every once in a while.  I have also had main gun rounds shot at me from a direction that their guns are not facing, I.E. the guns are off the port side and the rounds shoot at me from the side or back of the turret. This is also another every once in a while thing.

Cirran

• Cool 1

Members
139 posts
14,627 battles

1. I find it funny that bots have turrets already aimed at my DD without ever seeing me in smoke. 

2. Being hit by secondaries from over 12 to15k away after diving into smoke prior to not being spotted.

3.(Bot) CA's  and other classes doing a 180 degree turn or worse ...into islands just because they know i launched torps from over 2 to 6k away... ""Seen without Bot Hydro being activated"  Also those wonder torps that seem to come from a ship 3k away that show up after 30 to 45 seconds after they have been dead.

4. That Sudden boost bots have once torps are fired... Dam my Tirp doesn't go that fast or have boost...

5. Bot has a totally good target about dead infront of them but fire secondaries and main guns on a totally different target.

6. Bots chasing a DD around the map while firing at other targets, or fire everything at the DD while still chasing. "i have seen both options"  I also have seen 8 ships follow a DD around the map with no concern for 80% of the rest of the map.

Bots are as far as i am concerned Busted... and 100 times worse than this time LAST YEAR. :cap_rambo:

• Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
8,340 posts
9,621 battles

Is co-op not easy enough already?

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 5

Members
1,210 posts
3,527 battles

I like the bot torp dodging AI. They can either take evasive action as soon as your Torps hit the water 9k from them or they just brain dead mode sail straight into them. 

Wish the Devs would give them a overhaul. They are still far too easy. Often do dumb stuff and rarely win. Think my coop win rate is 95% and I'm a crappy player.

[VIGIL]
Members
1,441 posts
On 7/5/2021 at 5:45 AM, Xidax_Gamer said:

they give the MOBs spidey-sense and superpowers to give the poor  little bots half a chance.

I watched an inbound BB turn his turrets on me when I was in a DD, off to the side of a cap circle in a Tier 5 game. 5km later he STILL had me targeted while I was (still undetected) moving to take cover behind an island.

it doesn’t really surprise me anymore.  Neither do the zombie torps 

[HOP4S]
Members
6,997 posts
35,446 battles
On 7/5/2021 at 4:03 AM, Hammer_n_Sickle said:

a red bot dd, he shoots a set of torps, I shoot and blow him up immediately, manage to avoid the torps, and suddenly (ALMOST 2!!! seconds after already being blown up the fkin thing shoots another set of torps!!!! NO they were not "already in the water".

TBH, this is "normal" BOT behavior......  Been that way for a loooooong time.  Imagine, if you will, the BOTs actually sense your reticle.........They know exactly how fast you are going.  The know exactly where all of your weapons are pointing.  The know exactly where your toprs are when fired and already have a "least time and chance" detection of your torps the nano-second you hit the fire key..........and, some will start evading BEFORE you actually fire.......  That is how the BOT "CPU" works.   So, what can't it see is what you need to know.........

The BOTs actually shoot a last salvo sometimes 2 to 3 seconds after being dead as well.  Again, normal bot behavior.  Ever see the "Island Ghost Torpedo" that "just shows up" on an azimuth to hit you???

AND, now YOU KNOW and should plan accordingly............for the next "deadman shot....."  :cap_look:

[PVE]
Members
8,775 posts

Here's a picture of a bot "cheating".  It is aiming its front B turret at me, and the A turret at the Hindy behind me and to the right.  The bot is turning sharply towards me and that makes its look more like the front A turret is pointing towards me at the time of the screenshot was taken.  Players can't split their turret rotation and aim at several different targets at once.

1847972061_botcheat.thumb.jpg.743e6d0407c776df05ce3437152810d9.jpg

Members
1,210 posts
3,527 battles
7 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Here's a picture of a bot "cheating".  It is aiming its front B turret at me, and the A turret at the Hindy behind me and to the right.  The bot is turning sharply towards me and that makes its look more like the front A turret is pointing towards me at the time of the screenshot was taken.  Players can't split their turret rotation and aim at several different targets at once.

1847972061_botcheat.thumb.jpg.743e6d0407c776df05ce3437152810d9.jpg

Wish we could, would add some dynamics to the tired gameplay..

• Cool 1

Members
620 posts
29,523 battles
1 hour ago, Farm_Fresh_Eggs said:

My favorite is, for example, sailing angled to the left to a distant bot; bot fires; I WASD to the right, and the shells land on me anyway...    

That is the one cheat I wish WG would remove.  Co-op should help a new player develop skills, and dodging shells fired at a distance is an important one to learn.  Based on this cheat, why would anyone even bother to try?

[CO-OP]
Members
3,734 posts
37,497 battles

Best way to avoid incoming bot fire from a distance is to slam on the anchors and push the rudder over hard. You may get the occasional RNG stray but most of the salvo will miss.

[SIMP]
Members
1,518 posts
12,904 battles
3 hours ago, Rockhound_97 said:

5. Bot has a totally good target about dead infront of them but fire secondaries and main guns on a totally different target.

When I have encountered this behaviour it was due to a death strike coming from another direction so they can move on to another target.

Also, completely independent turret control, I recently saw a bot ship, with AB XY turret config, pointing A right 90° and B left 90° tracking different targets.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,775 posts
2 hours ago, Farm_Fresh_Eggs said:

My favorite is, for example, sailing angled to the left to a distant bot; bot fires; I WASD to the right, and the shells land on me anyway...    

I can't say for sure if there is any shenanigans going on with long rang shots from bots, but it sure makes with wonder.  I notice it most often when I'm in a DD and being the bot CV's first target.  This means I get spotted first, and long range shots come in, which I can dodge reasonably well.  I always make sure to make a sharp turn of at least 45 degrees moment I get unspotted.  It's uncanny how often I'll get hit with shots even though I'm nowhere near the heading I was on when last spotted.  If I was in a cruiser, or BB I'd be able to chalk it up as not being able to get out of the way in time.

[V_V_V]
Members
1,509 posts
20,773 battles
On 7/5/2021 at 2:03 AM, Hammer_n_Sickle said:

IT IS VERY INSULTING.

I don't know which I find more "boring"- the subject of your post, or your linguistic repertoire.

Edited by Charon2018
add text
  • Meh 3

[T_O_P]
Members
713 posts
2 hours ago, Charon2018 said:

I don't know which I find more "boring"- the subject of your post, or your linguistic repertoire.

yes I was pissed and needed to "vent" so yes the post came out a bit repetitive.

5 hours ago, Asym_KS said:

TBH, this is "normal" BOT behavior......  Been that way for a loooooong time.  Imagine, if you will, the BOTs actually sense your reticle.........They know exactly how fast you are going.  The know exactly where all of your weapons are pointing.  The know exactly where your toprs are when fired and already have a "least time and chance" detection of your torps the nano-second you hit the fire key..........and, some will start evading BEFORE you actually fire.......  That is how the BOT "CPU" works.   So, what can't it see is what you need to know.........

The BOTs actually shoot a last salvo sometimes 2 to 3 seconds after being dead as well.  Again, normal bot behavior.  Ever see the "Island Ghost Torpedo" that "just shows up" on an azimuth to hit you???

AND, now YOU KNOW and should plan accordingly............for the next "deadman shot....."  :cap_look:

I'm ok with :bots: knowing all that, and even cheats like turning very sharply. The dead bot shooting/torping is definitely a cheat I will never come to terms with.

4 hours ago, Average_Joe___ said:

That is the one cheat I wish WG would remove.  Co-op should help a new player develop skills, and dodging shells fired at a distance is an important one to learn.  Based on this cheat, why would anyone even bother to try?

Yes, you are absolutely correct. They are literally "aim bots" and it can be frustrating, especially when they gang up on you.