You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Martin_NC

I am confused and frustrated about the way Grand Battles are working out.

25 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
834 posts
12,079 battles

I have been away from the game for months. I am an on again, off again player since the end of the Alpha test. I am not very good because I am always rusty but I do understand the game reasonably well. 

So I have been playing Grand Battles almost exclusively since I got back. I don't know my win rate in these battles for certain but it is dismal. 

I am not certain what I am doing wrong but I must be at least partly to blame. I always play a cruiser or DD. I have had a few games where I totally screwed up early and a few games where I did really really well but most of the my games I have just been "decent". Decent damage, a ship destroyed or two or a capture etc. Mostly just average games where I contributed a reasonable amount. Nothing special.

But again, my win rate is dismal.

In almost every game I see my team melt down very early. Particularly BBs. I am not certain why but BBs in these matches seem to push into focused fire no matter what. The weird part is that it is always the BBs on MY team. I just left a match where we had 5 BBs on our team. First 5 ships to die in the match were our 5 BBs. All five dead before the 8 minute mark. Seems excessive. This is not a rare thing.

If it were just bad players then it would happen to the enemy team 50% of the time also but that does not seem to be the case. My team always melts down early. The only common variable is ME. I am almost always on the team that melts.

I wonder what it is that I am doing or not doing. 

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts
24 minutes ago, Martin31415 said:

It's a derpy test mode which is why stats arent kept for it. Try not to take it too seriously. 

• Cool 1

[BLUES]
Members
118 posts

The problem is, you keep playing for the green team. Switch to the red team and you'll do much better.  :-)

I started out the Grand Battles early on grinding out a Shimakazi. It was fun. But now, it seems like every fancy Research DD is playing and I no longer stand a chance. The sharks smelled blood and have moved in. Not as much fun now. That's my experience.

[RLGN]
Members
19,142 posts
35,184 battles
1 minute ago, blackwing9494 said:

The problem is, you keep playing for the green team. Switch to the red team and you'll do much better.  :-)

I started out the Grand Battles early on grinding out a Shimakazi. It was fun. But now, it seems like every fancy Research DD is playing and I no longer stand a chance. The sharks smelled blood and have moved in. Not as much fun now. That's my experience.

Even more reason not to bother with it.

[PRIC]
Members
62 posts
7,973 battles

Just go play a gunbote DD. Rush into the cap, stomp the enemy Lolibote and then farm the red BBs. It's not like there are any cruisers around to stop you.

Edited by Musouka
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,576 posts
17,526 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

It's a derpy test mode which is why stats arent kept for it. Try not to take it too seriously. 

This, and (at least according to WG) the point of the mode is to play the supers. To play the supers, you need to get 14 intelligence, and you earn 3 per non-super round win or lose. So the same thing that happened on pts happens on live - lots of people tend to yolo in because they faster you cycle games the faster you can play your super BB round. A lot of the remainder seem to get super target fixated (both meanings of super) and don’t notice/don’t care about shooting the ‘important’ targets like that destroyer openly capping. 

[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,576 posts
17,526 battles
2 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Grand battles is for grinding T9s.

Yep. The real point of the mode - grind t9s without caring about stats. I’ve been doing it on my three current t9s, and even just playing a few rounds a day at the start and end of the session I’ve already gone through a big chunk of them. And only one was fully upgraded before the event started; the others were either full or half stock, and they’re all fully upgraded now. 

[PHLNX]
Members
556 posts
14,636 battles

I think this mode is just a good way to farm credits and XP in quick battles. The super BBs aren't all that special, in my opinion. 

Members
869 posts
9,489 battles
1 hour ago, Burnsy said:

Grand battles is for grinding T9s.

lol, this. Or farming credits with a Missouri, Thunderer, etc.

[SALVO]
Members
3,898 posts
7,848 battles
3 hours ago, Martin31415 said:

I have been away from the game for months. I am an on again, off again player since the end of the Alpha test. I am not very good because I am always rusty but I do understand the game reasonably well. 

So I have been playing Grand Battles almost exclusively since I got back. I don't know my win rate in these battles for certain but it is dismal. 

I am not certain what I am doing wrong but I must be at least partly to blame. I always play a cruiser or DD. I have had a few games where I totally screwed up early and a few games where I did really really well but most of the my games I have just been "decent". Decent damage, a ship destroyed or two or a capture etc. Mostly just average games where I contributed a reasonable amount. Nothing special.

In almost every game I see my team melt down very early. Particularly BBs. I am not certain why but BBs in these matches seem to push into focused fire no matter what. The weird part is that it is always the BBs on MY team. I just left a match where we had 5 BBs on our team. First 5 ships to die in the match were our 5 BBs. All five dead before the 8 minute mark. Seems excessive. This is not a rare thing.

If it were just bad players then it would happen to the enemy team 50% of the time also but that does not seem to be the case. My team always melts down early. The only common variable is ME. I am almost always on the team that melts.

As  you can see from the other responses don’t take grand battles so serious. If you want to get better this mode is good for practicing pvp.  It’s way better to practice high tier then coop plus you earn far more XP and credits. you just can’t rely on team mates to do anything sensible. 

[PVE]
Members
10,596 posts
32,072 battles
5 hours ago, Martin31415 said:

If you're good at citting things w/AP run the IJN super when they come up...

If you like 2ndary brawling go for the Hannover...

It's a mode for grinding out ECXP w/the 21 point commanders in those ships...the rest is for 3 intelligence reports (win or lose) each battle to earn the right to run the big boys...

Don't take it too seriously...your teammates really don't care which is why they're just yoloing in...

Sux you keep getting the better yoloers though.

[NSEW]
Members
2,909 posts
12,205 battles
5 hours ago, Martin31415 said:

In almost every game I see my team melt down very early. Particularly BBs. I am not certain why but BBs in these matches seem to push into focused fire no matter what.

Give them godly ranges, expect godly camping.

[ARGSY]
Members
31,076 posts
29,316 battles
8 hours ago, wyoedbrown said:

The super BBs aren't all that special, in my opinion. 

Agree. The only thing they offer, for people who don't already have one, is on-loan 21 point commanders with which to farm ECXP. That's probably why at least some people are spamming their normal T9 or T10 ships, so they can get their borrowed 21 point captains back out onto the water again.

[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

I played with it, essentially to wring out the Burger and sink a few Hannovers that turned out to be easy sink.

After accumulating 150 or so points I am not motivated to continue this mode. Everything is done that could be done.

You can push and get salted. You can go to the far back and get salted, disable chat and get reported by whole team for violations that do not exist with no chat and so on. After all that I no longer give a damn what any team thinks. I just play.

Finally that mode is not part of the overall game, whatever happened in it stays in it except for the occasional Z plan award.

Edited by xHeavy

[SALVO]
Members
3,898 posts
7,848 battles
5 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

You can push and get salted. You can go to the far back and get salted, 

You write as if there are only these 2 options 

• Cool 1

[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,799 posts
20,735 battles
9 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

To play the supers, you need to get 14 intelligence, and you earn 3 per non-super round win or lose.

Anyone else find it Ironic that you are required to have Intelligence to sail a Super Battleship? 

[5D3]
Members
1,542 posts
39 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Agree. The only thing they offer, for people who don't already have one, is on-loan 21 point commanders with which to farm ECXP. That's probably why at least some people are spamming their normal T9 or T10 ships, so they can get their borrowed 21 point captains back out onto the water again.

Huh? The 21-point commanders that come with Hannover and Satsuma can be assigned on other ships? I don't think you are correct. These borrowed 21 point captains CANNOT be assigned to any other ship. 

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
6 hours ago, LowSpeed_US said:

Give them godly ranges, expect godly camping.

Only Satsuma has a "godly" range, and even that is only 1km more than Musashi. 

Hannover has the same range as Pommern.

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
46 minutes ago, Hukom said:

Huh? The 21-point commanders that come with Hannover and Satsuma can be assigned on other ships? I don't think you are correct. These borrowed 21 point captains CANNOT be assigned to any other ship. 

I think he means that some people are spamming their T9/10s to get Intel reports as quickly as possible, whereas others (like myself) are grinding T9s, so are trying to play well to generate more XP.

I'm finding that the increased damage I can do with a DD in this mode makes it great for grinding Oster and Mogador.

[5D3]
Members
1,542 posts
8 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I think he means that some people are spamming their T9/10s to get Intel reports as quickly as possible, whereas others (like myself) are grinding T9s, so are trying to play well to generate more XP.

I'm finding that the increased damage I can do with a DD in this mode makes it great for grinding Oster and Mogador.

Yes, you are correct. That is clearer. I understand now.

I'm grinding US cruisers; can either be a feast or a famine.

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
303 posts
2,765 battles
12 hours ago, Martin31415 said:

"Win rate" see, that's the problem right there. GB isn't meant to be a win rate farm since none of the stats will trickle to your PR. You're supposed to take your DD/Cruiser and play to farm bulky BBs that can't turn on a dime. Just follow these if logic checks:

Torp DD? Great, farm BBs.

Gunboat DD? Great, farm BBs.

DD hunter? Why are you here right now? Go play randoms! 

DPM cruiser? Great, farm BBs.

Cruiser Hunter? WHY ARE YOU HERE RIGHT NOW? Go play Randoms! 

BB? Why are you queuing into a game mode where there is guaranteed other tier X with 457mm+ that also have bigger gimmicks? 

CV? Yes yes yes, farm BBs. 

• Haha 1

Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
2 hours ago, Hukom said:

I'm grinding US cruisers; can either be a feast or a famine.

You poor devil lol.

I'm grinding Brindisi, but I can stay at 18-19km, and be reasonably safe, while hitting well.

[REKTD]
Members
1,216 posts
15,730 battles

I’ve found the following to be tremendous fun in Grand Battles, as the win/loss is completely irrelevant: 

• Kiting cruisers - rack up huge potential damage while getting a huge opportunity at damage too. 

• Stealth DDs - played with a touch of patience they can get 200+k in damage totals with relative ease. 

Finally, a mode in WoWS that is genuinely fun to just play. Somehow, toxic WoWS players still meander into GB thinking win rate still somehow matters?!!?

[4_0_4]
Members
334 posts
2,244 battles

Just finished grinding up to Worcester in this mode, now I’m doing Vermont.  Honestly very relaxing not having to worry about wins and losses, particularly in a ship like the Minnesota.