You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Kamiyama01

Rocket planes have become a dumpster fire

18 comments in this topic

Members
25 posts
1,870 battles

Before all 3 planes worked roughly the same:

1. Have a white reticle
2. Click attack button to change reticle to green
3. Click attack button again and the attack happens

Now for just the attack planes:

1. Have a white reticle
2. Click attack button to change reticle to green
3. Click attack button
4. Wait several seconds and watch as your attack completely misses the target

What is infuriating is that attack planes break the mold now. The targeting sequence works completely different from the sequence used by torpedo planes and bombers. While they all have different reticles they all used to have the same targeting sequence. Now you have to learn a different sequence for one type of plane and your muscle memory will be off.

What makes it especially bad is there was no reason for it. Rocket planes were the anti-DD tool that CV's had. Now CV's (except maybe the British CV carpet bombers) don't have a anti-DD tool. The rocket planes don't do enough damage per hit to threaten cruisers or BB's, so they are now effectively useless.

CV's have always been more complicated to use than other ship types. Artillery is the simplest method of attack in the game. Point gun. Click attack button. Done. With CV's you have to launch the planes, move the planes to the target (this can take up to a minute, depending on the map and the CV's location), carry out a multi-stage targeting sequence, still possibly miss the target (because dispersion has always been bad for planes) and hope that your planes aren't shot down before they can carry out their attack.

It's f^cking complicated. It always has been. Anyone who says it's not is lying. This isn't opinion. Planes are more complicated than any other method of attack in World of Warships.

They didn't need to be made more complicated.

Changing rocket planes to be this different was an inuitively bad idea. Someone on the dev team should have shot it down in the drafting stage. It should never have been worked on and should never have reached the point of being patched into the game. But it was. Now we have a dumpster fire.

Please change rocket planes back the way they were, and put out the dumpster fire.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
29,178 posts
15,765 battles
40 minutes ago, Noshiro_ said:

Can't you just, you know, lead them more?

Any DD and some CL players that are paying attention will be able to completely dodge that attack because of the zero damage MG attack.

[CYNIC]
[CYNIC]
Members
355 posts
9,260 battles

You say that CVs are inherently more complicated because you have to launch planes and fly them across the map, while you only have to click with other ships, but I believe this to be a gross over simplification. You need to juggle multiple factors, like leading a target, knowing concealment ranges, secondary ranges, radar and hydro ranges, torpedo ranges, what ships have what equipment, gun reloads, ect. 

Also, the assumption that rockets are anti-DD only is not necessarily true, as German rockets are AP rockets and are absolutely not meant for destroyers, while their torpedoes are fast enough that they can be used to that. Also, USN diver bombers are HE bombers, which are good against DDs.

Granted, I think rockets have been nerfed into non- use. 

[RLGN]
Members
19,136 posts
35,167 battles
41 minutes ago, Noshiro_ said:

If I could honestly get a feel for this FPS carrier garbage I wouldn’t wish to have RTS back.

Beyond that; it’s boring as hell. To me, RTS was much more interesting.

[RLGN]
Members
19,136 posts
35,167 battles
3 minutes ago, 40902nd said:

Also, the assumption that rockets are anti-DD only is not necessarily true, as German rockets are AP rockets and are absolutely not meant for destroyers, while their torpedoes are fast enough that they can be used to that. Also, USN diver bombers are HE bombers, which are good against DDs.

German rockets are anti-nothing if the target doesn’t obligingly allow you to get on its broadside.

Never mind the different way they attack compared to regular rockets.

Granted, I think rockets have been nerfed into non- use. 

Something we might agree on.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

Supertest Coordinator
7,223 posts
14,434 battles

Why does a carrier necessarily need to have weapons to fight against every class? There's quite a few ships in-game that don't have a dedicated type of equipment to fight a specific class. For example, Asashio has basically no AA, so it can't practically defend itself from a carrier, and neither can a bunch of Tier 4 ships with pre-war AA.

• Boring 1

[TWFT]
Members
1,763 posts
45,971 battles

The CV mafia told us to "Just dodge", and now is pissed off that we can actually "Just dodge".

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[SF-13]
[SF-13]
Members
605 posts
12,034 battles
1 hour ago, Noshiro_ said:

You mean: "give them more advance notice via the splashing water that they need to turn now?"

Sure, we could and can do that, but what is your point?  Any player with half a brain will simply turn and the rockets will miss.

Only ship that maybe cannot miss all of the rockets is a CV or a BB.  If a BB turns right, then most of the rockets could end up hitting the hull.

Also, after activating the green aiming reticle, you have less than 3 seconds to make your guess. 

Can BBs be placed in that category also?  Like, when using their spotting plane, can they be forced to choose where to fire in less than 3 seconds or lose the opportunity entirely?  How would they like that?

• Boring 1

[T2IOF]
Members
890 posts
4,915 battles

Git gud and learn to aim

CVs SHOULDN'T be able to take out a DD with rockets by itself. They should need support from the team, still be able to deal damage if done properly, and reset some lines so that you can buy modified external hardpoints and murder DDs with HE bombs.

[CYNIC]
[CYNIC]
Members
355 posts
9,260 battles

No, they just have dispersion larger than ships, no clear pattern of where the shells will land, 20-40 second reload, up to 5-6 shell flight times, having to worry about situational awareness and positioning, stuf like that. 

At the moment, I don't think rockets are viable, as they the time to attack is fairly ridiculous, as they now seem geared towards stationary targets.

I know this, because I play all classes, though I will admit I am a BB/CB main. Lately, I've been playing CVs, so I can at least see where you carrier drives are coming from. 

Members
209 posts
17,035 battles

I play all ships really im like 25% per class

lets really take about hindrances.

1) Battleship  

DD is the true nemesis here low detection allows them to get close or stay at distance and sink a bb in 1 salvo or sit in smoke and burn it down or sit behind a island and burn it down or the good and courageous will run a drive  by

what defense does a BB have against this 0  fire rate horrendous secondary's nerfed to hell

cruiser  can sit in smoke or behind a island and wreck havoc  or kite and wreck  the BB  BB  defense against this minimal

Carrier by far the least threat to a BB yes it can  cause quite a bit of damage but the  damage is really coming from spotting the bb

:::the real protection come from a carriers who can spot  the concealed ships and  make sniper dds pay:::

How is that fair to what is suppose to be most powerful ship in the game.

2)Cruiser       by far the most versatile ship for defenses

its great against DDs, Carriers  even BB's  but can be one shotted by a DD or BB with the slightest mistake  A cv is gonna get deplaned  and cause moderate damage attacking most cruisers

Carrier) current state   a joke compared to historic value and threat

BB if a cv get spotted by anything a BB can one shot a cv or at very least take 25% heath per salvo if in range a cv has no chance to kill a BB before it kills the CV but it can make the BB pay 

Cruiser  it could go 50/50 but with a lean to the cruiser as it can  defend itself from the planes

DD  with recent nerf 0 chance a Carrier will survive  if dd want it dead with out a lot of help or a lucky DB

Destroyer  it was a support ship  for BB and carriers not  the stealth assassin it is in WG  than the historic ship WG portrays it  Destroyer is  more of a submarine than a Submarine is

BB very limited threat to a DD if a DD loses to a BB it was the DD fault

Crusier (heavy) very similar to BB DD is  overly favored in this match (Light) probably the only threat to a DD in this game

Carrier  absolute joke the only use of a CV against destroyer is spotting and with the jacked AA of  new DDs that is pointless as well

So can we stop with all the nerfs against a ship who had such a minor role in WW2 naval battles  its job was to hunt Subs and provide support not the gods this game displays them

it has destroyed game play look at the mass  of horrible DD players in matches  4 -5 DD per match  even in ranked all because you nerfed the only true threat to this type of ship

Members
95 posts
129 battles

Rocket planes have been a dumpster fire since they were added to the game... they should be yeeted out as soon as possible IMO. :Smile_sceptic:

OP is just butthurt that his easy mode ain't quite so easy anymore. :Smile_trollface:

Members
209 posts
17,035 battles

so say the DD CPT lol

DD is easy mode all day long

Edited by DavidNXS
  • Boring 1

[CYNIC]
[CYNIC]
Members
355 posts
9,260 battles

I see you conveniently forget about the carriers with armored flight decks, which bounce even the largest shells and with an auto dam con that makes carriers all but immune to fires and flooding. Also, you, like every other CV apologist, seem to forget that a carrier is for all intense and purposes immune to damage until the end of the game, when the match is decided. 

You say that Battleships have no counter against Destroyers in smoke? I can't count the number of times I've charged down a smoke screen and bleeped the Destroyer within. I use my 1337 WASD hax to avoid the torps on the way in, and then they are minced meat. 

Heavy cruisers do an easier job of it, since they have hydro (or SAP) or Radar. Super cruisers have a bit harder time of it since they don't have the alpha of the Battleship or the DPM of the Heavy cruiser. 

Light cruisers are the nemesis of Destroyers, with their incredible DPM, mobility, and consumables. 

Now, if a Destroyer can ambush a target from behind an island, they can nuke anything, but then they need to wait a while before they can try again, and it usually mean that they get one or to shots from each set during an engagement.

A Destroyer lives and dies by stealth. It has neither the health or armor to survive being seen. A good Destroyer player will set up ambushes or move to advantageous locations in order disrupt formations or assassinate targets of opportunity. A poor carrier player can bumble along and screw all of that careful planning and positioning. A good carrier can perma spot the destroyer and ensure the destroyer can ever get into position. 

What can a destroyer do to a carrier in return? Smoke up and hide? If they do that, they can't spot for their team and risk getting run down by what ever they were going after. Can they run? Nope. A slow plane is twice as fast as the fastest destroyer and can turn much tighter. 

It used to be that a carrier could chunk a destroyer for a quarter to half its health per run with rockets, but now they have to fall back on bombs and torpedoes.

The horror. 

How dare they remove the "Delete Destroyer" button. So unfair to be able to smite one's enemy free from concern or consequence, other than having to wait for planes to reload. 

Members
542 posts
23,054 battles

Stop crying FFS. If the single most OP ship isnt OP its not the rockets  Its YOU and your lack of skill period.  There let the truth ring out loud and clear 

Edited by jr_token

Members
111 posts
4,838 battles

All this change has done is make it absolutely ok for the carrier to completely ignore the DD, you will be better rewarded for damaging a cruiser than hoping a teammate shoots at that DD. Of course this means rockets lack the damage of other aircraft and are only scout planes if they are even that. Regardless, if your DDs speedrun back to port you will lose and all you can do is salvage.

[VVV]
Members
3,246 posts
5,521 battles
20 hours ago, Kamiyama01 said:

What makes it especially bad is there was no reason for it. Rocket planes were the anti-DD tool that CV's had. Now CV's (except maybe the British CV carpet bombers) don't have a anti-DD tool. The rocket planes don't do enough damage per hit to threaten cruisers or BB's, so they are now effectively useless.

There was very much a reason for it: that rocket planes were too strong of an anti-DD tool for CVs. In the old days, DDs were the class meant to counter DDs. With the rework and the introduction of rocket planes, DDs because the class least capable of countering CVs.