Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
custer_14

So Constellation.....

28 comments in this topic

Members
474 posts
16,947 battles

So now we have e a T8 BB with good accurate 16” guns with only 30 sec reload,  3 per side of 9 km torps, a useful 10 km/ 30 sec radar, decent AA, fast speed, good armor. 
Is it just me or does this look a little different from typical WG balancing? 
I think a few months ago this would have been a must buy but now...this feels like bait, like the nerf bat is hanging over this thing like the sword of Damocles. Any similar thoughts on this ship’s release?

• Cool 1

[WHARF]
Members
847 posts
22,503 battles
1 hour ago, custer_14 said:

So now we have e a T8 BB with good accurate 16” guns with only 30 sec reload,  3 per side of 9 km torps, a useful 10 km/ 30 sec radar, decent AA, fast speed, good armor. 
I think a few months ago this would have been a must buy but now...this feels like bait, like the nerf bat is hanging over this thing like the sword of Damocles. Any similar thoughts on this ship’s release?

idk...if its sounds too good to be true.....when are the nurfs due

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
20,736 posts
22,656 battles

Some of us are waiting to see how the "Yukon Debacle" shakes-out, before opening our wallets for any WG/WOWs products.

Other than that, I'm curious about the Constellation and am keeping an eye on its' situation.

• Cool 2

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
5,411 posts
15,692 battles

good armor

It does not have good armor . I believe it actually has bad armor that was one of the balancing things WG supposedly gave her . 

Edited by clammboy
  • Cool 1

Members
474 posts
16,947 battles
4 minutes ago, clammboy said:

It does not have good armor . I believe it actually has bad armor that was one of the balancing things WG supposedly gave her . 

It’s not bad armor, it’s not cit proof but when angled it can bounce BB caliber shells at T8. That is not a balance for all the above perks. It is by no means a glass cannon.

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,162 posts
30,915 battles
On 7/4/2021 at 9:58 AM, clammboy said:

This thing is classified as a Tier VIII Battleship in the game.  It has terrible armor.  Upper belt and deck armor are great but the Citadel is easy to brutalize.  The extremities are 27mm, so 406mm+ will Overmatch.  And just as nice, the 32mm torpedo bulge will simply act as a place for 460mm+ AP to Overmatch.

Constellation has a lot of interesting and good qualities together in the ship, but protection is the achilles' heel.  Tier VIII Connie can get Citadeled pretty easy by a Tier VI Pensacola if that CA can get a view of the sides. 

Never mind what a Cruiser with better gunnery and stronger shells can do. 

Never mind what Super Cruiser 305mm AP can do. 

Never mind what Battleship 356mm AP can do. 

Never mind what 380mm, 406mm, 419mm, 420mm, 430mm, 457mm, 460mm, 510mm AP can do.

A thought crossed my mind yesterday... You want an American Battleship that goes 33kts, has 16" guns, and better, actual Battleship armor?... Why not just play Iowa?

• Cool 3

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
5,411 posts
15,692 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

This thing is classified as a Tier VIII Battleship in the game.  It has terrible armor.  Upper belt and deck armor are great but the Citadel is easy to brutalize.  The extremities are 27mm, so 406mm+ will Overmatch.  And just as nice, the 32mm torpedo bulge will simply act as a place for 460mm+ AP to Overmatch.

Constellation has a lot of interesting and good qualities together in the ship, but protection is the achilles' heel.  Tier VIII Connie can get Citadeled pretty easy by a Tier VI Pensacola if that CA can get a view of the sides. 

Never mind what a Cruiser with better gunnery and stronger shells can do. 

Never mind what Super Cruiser 305mm AP can do. 

Never mind what Battleship 356mm AP can do. 

Never mind what 380mm, 406mm, 419mm, 420mm, 430mm, 457mm, 460mm, 510mm AP can do.

A thought crossed my mind yesterday... You want an American Battleship that goes 33kts, has 16" guns, and better, actual Battleship armor?... Why not just play Iowa?

I was trying to tell the OP the armor is not good in a nice way but he didn't want to hear it .

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,162 posts
30,915 battles
1 hour ago, clammboy said:

I was trying to tell the OP the armor is not good in a nice way but he didn't want to hear it .

There were comments in Constellation videos where people were trying to say Connie has good protection, and my favorite?

"If you loved Alaska, you will like Constellation."

Alaska's defining characteristic wasn't her guns.  They're good, but the real strength to AK was how tough she was.  We had Battleship players complain about how hard it was to try and Citadel an AK, and were making threads asking what they had to do to Citadel her!

Connie is nothing at all like that.  Show your sides to even a Heavy Cruiser, never mind a Super Cruiser or worse, an actual Battleship with yooge guns, and Connie is risking deletion.  Maybe losing 3/4 of HP if they were lucky.  The ship has a lot of interesting features piled into her, but bad armor is one of them.  I had friends in the game PM me asking what I thought.  I gave all the good points, which there were many.  Then came the inevitable, "But..." about the armor.  Connie players have to be paranoid about their Citadel.  This is a Tier VIII "Battleship" and for guys taking her into PVP, that means lots of players with BIG GUNS looking for opportunities to smash something.  She will encounter Yamatos, Shikashimas, Thunderers, Republiques, Stalingrads, Petropavlovsks, Ohios, Alaskas, Kronshtadts, etc.  There are some really high powered guns in Connie's MM bracket.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
5,411 posts
15,692 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

There were comments in Constellation videos where people were trying to say Connie has good protection, and my favorite?

"If you loved Alaska, you will like Constellation."

Alaska's defining characteristic wasn't her guns.  They're good, but the real strength to AK was how tough she was.  We had Battleship players complain about how hard it was to try and Citadel an AK, and were making threads asking what they had to do to Citadel her!

Connie is nothing at all like that.  Show your sides to even a Heavy Cruiser, never mind a Super Cruiser or worse, an actual Battleship with yooge guns, and Connie is risking deletion.  Maybe losing 3/4 of HP if they were lucky.  The ship has a lot of interesting features piled into her, but bad armor is one of them.  I had friends in the game PM me asking what I thought.  I gave all the good points, which there were many.  Then came the inevitable, "But..." about the armor.  Connie players have to be paranoid about their Citadel.  This is a Tier VIII "Battleship" and for guys taking her into PVP, that means lots of players with BIG GUNS looking for opportunities to smash something.  She will encounter Yamatos, Shikashimas, Thunderers, Republiques, Stalingrads, Petropavlovsks, Ohios, Alaskas, Kronshtadts, etc.  There are some really high powered guns in Connie's MM bracket.

I think you need the steering gear modification and you have to use her speed . I guess you need to be a pretty good player to make her work and then she is probable good ship high skill level .

I shouldn't have bought her I'm not good enough but I love how that ship looks with that permanent camo gorgeous .

• Cool 1

[VIGIL]
Members
1,441 posts
On 7/4/2021 at 12:14 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

Some of us are waiting to see how the "Yukon Debacle" shakes-out, before opening our wallets for any WG/WOWs products

This is the way. 

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 2

[BTLST]
Members
889 posts
4,185 battles

The Connie's main belt demonstrates daylight between it's bottom edge and the waterline if the shell is coming in at 30 degrees (typical).

If any shell hits that gap, all it has to do to citadel the ship is pen the 32mm of bulge armor and the citadel wall armor.

If the ship sat even 2 feet lower in the water, this would not be an issue. Personally, I won't buy a ship that has a glaring armor design weakness that never would have existed in real life.

I don't mind bad armor, but when the main belt can be bypassed by any old shell, its a hard pass. Especially when the Connie we have demonstrates a fictional WW2 refit, which surely would have resulted in more weight than from design, with the ship sitting lower in the water than design.

HARD PASS

Members
134 posts
10,202 battles

i have Connie and about 5 battles.  Verdict so far it has nice strong accurate guns. Nice speed and AA. Armor is iffy. you need to drive it like a drunken teenager to stay alive. It seems maneuverable like NC rather than Iowa barge. Have not used torps or Radar much yet.  

[BTLST]
Members
889 posts
4,185 battles

If it sat lower in the water, I would buy it -- as its a unique and historical point of evolution in USN BB development.

Why does it sit so high? The damn stern bottom is showing daylight between it and the water at times.

Also, why are the torp bulges so large? Don't you think that would have slowed it down a lot? The Standards were already slow so the bulges didn't hurt them as much, but this thing needs to be sleek to be fast.

With a few tweaks, this ship would be great.

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,991 posts
760 battles

So has Wargaming ever actually explained why they simply refuse to acknowledge that the 16"/50 Mk2 and Mk3 existed? There are currently 3 ships in the game that would have utilized them and yet they are nowhere to be found.

Meanwhile, in the Soviet tech tree...

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,162 posts
30,915 battles
4 hours ago, ramp4ge said:

So has Wargaming ever actually explained why they simply refuse to acknowledge that the 16"/50 Mk2 and Mk3 existed? There are currently 3 ships in the game that would have utilized them and yet they are nowhere to be found.

Meanwhile, in the Soviet tech tree...

My guess is WG was probably too scared to give Constellation better guns married to her improved dispersion.  She does not conform to Battleship dispersion models.

4,991 posts
760 battles
6 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

My guess is WG was probably too scared to give Constellation better guns married to her improved dispersion.  She does not conform to Battleship dispersion models.

That doesn't explain why the two SoDak20s don't get them when the biggest gripe about them is their lack of penetration for their tier, and neither of them have supercruiser dispersion. 

[VIGIL]
Members
1,441 posts
1 hour ago, ramp4ge said:

That doesn't explain why the two SoDak20s don't get them when the biggest gripe about them is their lack of penetration for their tier, and neither of them have supercruiser dispersion. 

The next iteration of the SoDaks will get them.  PREMIUM SHOP ONLY.

4,991 posts
760 battles
1 hour ago, Dudefella said:

The next iteration of the SoDaks will get them.  PREMIUM SHOP ONLY.

Watch them actually do that.

Tier 7, unmodernized mid-20s Sodak20 with 16"/50 Mk2s. No AA, no torpedo defense. Food for CVs and submarines.

But I'll be real here. I'd buy it. I'm sorry I'm part of the problem.

• Cool 1

[GC]
Alpha Tester
1,101 posts
5,173 battles
On 10/19/2021 at 2:15 PM, ramp4ge said:

Tier 7, unmodernized mid-20s Sodak20 with 16"/50 Mk2s. No AA, no torpedo defense. Food for CVs and submarines.

But I'll be real here. I'd buy it. I'm sorry I'm part of the problem.

Yuuuuup. This. Me, too.

I am a sucker for WWI-era capital ships, especially American ones. I just can't resist them. California is a floating turd, and I knew it was a floating turd even before it went live, but that didn't matter; It's gorgeous and I couldn't pass it up. I still play it in Narai even though it infuriates me because Florida is just straight up better in every way. Still waiting on my late-war WV, NV, and PA. And the Revenge class, which I'm guessing will probably show up as Arkhangelsk eventually. And the British battlecruisers. And the South American dreadnoughts.

--Helms

Members
5,055 posts
14,302 battles
2 hours ago, thehelmsman said:

California is a floating turd, and I knew it was a floating turd even before it went live because Florida is just straight up better in every way.

Wait are we talking about the state or about the ship? :cap_haloween:

4,991 posts
760 battles
On 10/26/2021 at 8:14 AM, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

Wait are we talking about the state or about the ship? :cap_haloween:

I own the ship and I live in the state.

Interchangeable. 

• Haha 1

Sign in to follow this