Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.

22 comments in this topic

[5D3]
Members
1,542 posts

Fifteen 152 mm guns with IFHE can really hurt enemy ships, but her thin armor is a big liability when she's on the receiving end.

I'm grinding the American cruiser line, and in this particular battle I took the risk of hunting down the two enemy destroyers hiding in smoke while controlling the capture area. Later, as the battle winded down, I got close to sinking the enemy aircraft carrier—this would have been a 6-kill game if not for our own destroyer 'stealing' my kill. 😂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYcXPdl4_40

shot-21_06.26_23_49.13-0855.thumb.jpg.86a804de66e9f5ebf50d09452b21c4b4.jpgshot-21_06.26_23_49.09-0497.thumb.jpg.06e9d8833ec4782858d8d1cd6cebb521.jpg

In Ranked, I find her more comfortable than New Orleans.

2022901099_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2021_06.26-13_03_04_30.thumb.png.11b646ccea6e17abde6935833ec7b589.png488472493_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2021_06.26-13_02_56_73.thumb.png.f211a3ecc6cde91f5e720c95e2b87e8d.png340310118_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2021_06.27-03_11_08_45.thumb.png.50dab723790412c21e741ca72cdbef77.png1857612708_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2021_06.27-03_11_02_37.thumb.png.1b1f9948be015507360dcdf835c0e1e9.png

Happy Independence Day!

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[RLGN]
Members
19,136 posts
35,170 battles

NO is about sucker punching someone, compared to Helena sand blasting them to death. :cap_rambo:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,523 battles

Light cruisers (actually cruisers in general) have bad armor. I've found that Helena is actually one of the tankier CLs. But still don't expect to be bouncing large caliber AP.

And yes, 15 152mm IFHE shells take no prisoners.

• Thanks 1

Members
6,667 posts
3 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Light cruisers (actually cruisers in general) have bad armor. I've found that Helena is actually one of the tankier CLs. But still don't expect to be bouncing large caliber AP.

Especially against DDs.  If you get a good broadside shot, that takes half their health, and if they don't have Last Stand, pops their engines.  The next shot finishes the job.

• Cool 1

[4_0_4]
Members
334 posts
2,244 battles

I love my Helena, it is easily one of my favorite ships to play.  Wish I were as good at playing her as you, I mostly seem to get focused by everyone and their brother as soon as I’m detected, and my win rate is...less than stellar. >_<

• Thanks 1

Members
6,667 posts
5 minutes ago, rallybackmonkey said:

I love my Helena, it is easily one of my favorite ships to play.  Wish I were as good at playing her as you, I mostly seem to get focused by everyone and their brother as soon as I’m detected, and my win rate is...less than stellar. >_<

I have Helena's sister, Boise.  Same guns, but a slower reload, and in return I get a heal.  

• Cool 2

[WOLF5]
Members
154 posts
29,136 battles

Good job. Before the fire nerf Helena was a monster. Flagged up, your getting 30,000 CXP per game, those were the days, when she was my favorite ship.                                                                                                                                               Edit...you made me look her up 223 games played, 59% win rate. 168,171 max damage, 6 max kills, like half the red team. Gonna have to start playing her again, great ship.

Edited by greenterror2112
  • Cool 1

[4_0_4]
Members
334 posts
2,244 battles
27 minutes ago, Kesh_Lives said:

I have Helena's sister, Boise.  Same guns, but a slower reload, and in return I get a heal.  

Is the heal worth the massive reload hit?  I’ve definitely considered it.

[DOINK]
Members
926 posts
16,319 battles
2 minutes ago, rallybackmonkey said:

Well AR skill will reduce reload down further, so a heal would only be useful when up tiered. I've had some amazing games in Helena against Tier 9s.  A heal helps but pumping out shells is all what it's about.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,969 posts
5,224 battles
43 minutes ago, rallybackmonkey said:

It's not just "a heal".  It's the British super-heal.  2% per second or four times the rate of a normal heal.  Yes it's worth it.

My waifu witchy Salem has it too.

• Thanks 3

[5D3]
Members
1,542 posts
22 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

22 hours ago, Kesh_Lives said:

Especially against DDs.  If you get a good broadside shot, that takes half their health, and if they don't have Last Stand, pops their engines.  The next shot finishes the job.

A DD + Helena combo can work. One time in Ranked, after our DD managed to spot the enemy Haida, one salvo took almost half her HP. The next Helena salvo sunk destroyed her.

22 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

But still don't expect to be bouncing large caliber AP.

Definitely. The presence of 406+ BBs give me pause. 

21 hours ago, greenterror2112 said:

Good job. Before the fire nerf Helena was a monster. Flagged up, your getting 30,000 CXP per game, those were the days, when she was my favorite ship.                                                                                                                                               Edit...you made me look her up 223 games played, 59% win rate. 168,171 max damage, 6 max kills, like half the red team. Gonna have to start playing her again, great ship.

Thanks. She's definitely a keeper. 

21 hours ago, rallybackmonkey said:

Thank you. Sometimes we win, sometimes the battle is just unwinnable. In my experience using islands to break detection can lead to positions where the targets cannot immediately return fire or reposition. 

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[VIGIL]
Members
1,441 posts

Thanks for posting this! I’m working this line too and Helena is next.

What’s the calm water mod you use? I see people with that and it looks helpful. 

[5D3]
Members
1,542 posts
38 minutes ago, Dudefella said:

Thanks for posting this! I’m working this line too and Helena is next.

What’s the calm water mod you use? I see people with that and it looks helpful. 

You're welcome. 

The calm water mod is part of Aslain's. I really like it.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[VIGIL]
Members
1,441 posts

If you don’t mind, what’s your equipment/captain load out look like?

Thanks again! 🙏

• Thanks 1

[-ICE-]
Members
675 posts

Helena was feared before the nerf and my first 19pt capt. The exact day I gain my first elete capt they nerfed the living hell out of the ship. The ship takes big damage and you cant hit a DD or fast moving cruiser at any kind of distance but if you catch that jackwad who hides behind that one island he knows you can either damage it, flush him out or take it out shooting over a rock blooping the shells in.    I read about the ship it was know to rain hell on other ships in rl and and was a radar ship but not in this game?   If they give back just 1mm of the HE pen it would be a better and a more fair nerf as that 1mm would help the pen on the bb's that have the 32mm armor but it is what it is so she sits in port most of the time.  with all the radars and the new DD's pretty much kick the chit out of it and u cant hit them with the slow shells but the DD's sure can hit you.  They killed the ship with the huge nerf even though it has its places 

Edited by CRZY_TRAIN

[5D3]
Members
1,542 posts
Just now, Dudefella said:

If you don’t mind, what’s your equipment/captain load out look like?

Thanks again! 🙏

Sure.

For Equipment:

1. Hull B
  2. Mk7 Mod 1

I did not research the Mk7 Mod 2 because I wanted to finish the grind as fast as possible.

For Upgrades:

1. Main Armament Modification 1
  2. Engine Room Protection
  3. Aiming Systems Modification 1
  4. Steering Gears Modification 1

For Captain Skills, I used a 19-pointer with the following skill set:

1. Grease the Gears
  2. Priority Target, Consumables Enhancements
  3. Heavy HE Shells, Adrenaline Rush
  4. IFHE for HE Shells, Concealment Expert

For Consumables:

1. DCP
  2. Def AA
  3. Fighter
  4. Hydroacoustic Search
  • Thanks 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,969 posts
5,224 battles
4 hours ago, Hukom said:

For Upgrades:

1. Main Armament Modification 1
  2. Engine Room Protection
  3. Aiming Systems Modification 1
  4. Steering Gears Modification 1

That's what I use too, but If you're not plying open water much (as you do in Op Narai) and use terrain, I am assured that 4. Propulsion Mod 1 is the better choice.  It might be in open water, too, but I'm in the habit of using steering to dodge rather than throttle.  (Yet another skill I really ought to learn.)

4 hours ago, Hukom said:

For Captain Skills, I used a 19-pointer with the following skill set:

1. Grease the Gears
  2. Priority Target, Consumables Enhancements
  3. Heavy HE Shells, Adrenaline Rush
  4. IFHE for HE Shells, Concealment Expert

Much disagreement here. 

• Heavy HE/SAP more than offsets CE, so is in effect a 7 point skill -- too much! 
  • IFHE really wants Pyro. (Makes IFHE a 6 point skill, 152mm really wants it.)
  • Consumables Enhancement affects only Hydro. If you're really hot for Hydro, use the Hydroacoustic Search Mod 1 special upgrade in Slot 2.
  1. Grease the Gears (Last Stand or IFA is okay)
  2. Pyro (and PT if you must)
  3. AR
  4. IFHE, CE (TGG or RL are good too)

I'd take a third 4 pointer and fill in with PT and LS.

Btw, Helena is one ship for which I don't think much of WoWs' recommended skills.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Thanks 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
9,879 posts
17,672 battles

i tell you, i was happy as i could be when the US Cl line was announced and one of the 2 classes that had 15 guns(Brooklyn and St.Louis) was in it, Worcester being the other i was hoping to be in the line

[5D3]
Members
1,542 posts
8 hours ago, iDuckman said:

That's what I use too, but If you're not plying open water much (as you do in Op Narai) and use terrain, I am assured that 4. Propulsion Mod 1 is the better choice.  It might be in open water, too, but I'm in the habit of using steering to dodge rather than throttle.  (Yet another skill I really ought to learn.)

Much disagreement here. 

• Heavy HE/SAP more than offsets CE, so is in effect a 7 point skill -- too much! 
  • IFHE really wants Pyro. (Makes IFHE a 6 point skill, 152mm really wants it.)
  • Consumables Enhancement affects only Hydro. If you're really hot for Hydro, use the Hydroacoustic Search Mod 1 special upgrade in Slot 2.
  1. Grease the Gears (Last Stand or IFA is okay)
  2. Pyro (and PT if you must)
  3. AR
  4. IFHE, CE (TGG or RL are good too)

I'd take a third 4 pointer and fill in with PT and LS.

Btw, Helena is one ship for which I don't think much of WoWs' recommended skills.

Thanks. I'll take note of that. 

• Cool 1

Members
17 posts
840 battles

Cool as Helena is, being uptiered in any T7 light cruiser sucks (except german and fiji) because your HE just can't penetrate T8 BBs, and your fire chance is gutted if you do take IFHE to deal with same tier BBs.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,969 posts
5,224 battles
29 minutes ago, Knetka said:

Cool as Helena is, being uptiered in any T7 light cruiser sucks (except german and fiji) because your HE just can't penetrate T8 BBs, and your fire chance is gutted if you do take IFHE to deal with same tier BBs.

Then change up.  Either don't try to pen or burn T8+ BBs with a IFHE CL, or drop IFHE and go for the flamethrower approach (in which case you want Pyro too). 

Myself, in a CL I concentrate on sweeping out the little guys and letting the big guys deal with the big guys.  IFHE lets me dump on the more heavily armored cruisers.  Any shots I need to take on BBs I accept the disadvantage.