Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
iDuckman

Lord_Zath overview and play of Constellation

36 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

6,906
[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,983 posts
5,224 battles

I agree.  There's an awful lot of torpedo protection what would never see a torpedo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,304
[CVA16]
Members
8,871 posts
27,057 battles
1 hour ago, Battleship_DukeofYork said:

I feel like the freeboard is too high

What do you expect, it isn't a Soviet ship

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,304
[CVA16]
Members
8,871 posts
27,057 battles
58 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I agree.  There's an awful lot of torpedo protection what would never see a torpedo.

In game does that work like spaced armor? I know I get lots of torpedo protection hits when I'm expecting citadels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,255
[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,797 posts
20,735 battles
1 hour ago, Battleship_DukeofYork said:

I feel like the freeboard is too high. I dunno. Something doesn't look right with the model.

I think it looks about right.

USS Lexington - Guide 046 - Battlecruisers (Human Voice) - YouTube

Lexington-class battlecruiser - Wikipedia

 

Given it's 'WW2' refit, the torpedo protection would have restored any buoyancy lost by the additional weight of the refit. About the only thing that seems a bit off is the speed as it should lose a knot or two from the torpedo bulge. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17,270
[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles
9 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

I think it looks about right.

USS Lexington - Guide 046 - Battlecruisers (Human Voice) - YouTube

Lexington-class battlecruiser - Wikipedia

 

Given it's 'WW2' refit, the torpedo protection would have restored any buoyancy lost by the additional weight of the refit. About the only thing that seems a bit off is the speed as it should lose a knot or two from the torpedo bulge. 

I remember when WG first announced Constellation as a WiP ship and showed the initial image, I thought also, "Man, that thing has a really high freeboard.  Was that really going to be a thing?"

Quick search on Lexington-class Battlecruisers and the images say, "Yes."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,653
[CLUMP]
Members
2,861 posts
3,004 battles

34 knots and it has radar all needs now is hydro to annoy DD players even more :Smile_teethhappy: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,255
[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,797 posts
20,735 battles
2 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

34 knots and it has radar all needs now is hydro to annoy DD players even more :Smile_teethhappy: 

so far in the battles I've used it in, I haven't really used the radar. The torpedos have been useful as a GK found out.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,653
[CLUMP]
Members
2,861 posts
3,004 battles
1 minute ago, Lord_Slayer said:

so far in the battles I've used it in, I haven't really used the radar. The torpedos have been useful as a GK found out.

 

So it's like Duke of York having hydro :Smile_hiding: That ships fragile as :etc_swear:  But still you never know when you might need it with DDs been so sneaky sometimes :Smile_hiding:  Having torps on BB is always a nice surprised for the player getting torp :Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17,270
[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles
9 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

34 knots and it has radar all needs now is hydro to annoy DD players even more :Smile_teethhappy: 

Theoretically:  To use the Radar, Connie has to get close.  Her armor is not suitable for that kind of thing, especially if it has to push and look for a DD while there are still other enemy ships, especially Battleships gunning for her.

 

Fitting Tool says with Full Stealth Build concealment is 12.2km, a DD should still easily outspot Stealth Build Connie to stay away from the 10km Radar.  If the DD still gets spotted by her Radar, well, he really deserved what's coming to him :Smile_veryhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,653
[CLUMP]
Members
2,861 posts
3,004 battles
8 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Theoretically:  To use the Radar, Connie has to get close.  Her armor is not suitable for that kind of thing, especially if it has to push and look for a DD while there are still other enemy ships, especially Battleships gunning for her.

 

Fitting Tool says with Full Stealth Build concealment is 12.2km, a DD should still easily outspot Stealth Build Connie to stay away from the 10km Radar.  If the DD still gets spotted by her Radar, well, he really deserved what's coming to him :Smile_veryhappy:

 

I am guessing this is why this Halland wouldn't have been detected than :Smile_hiding: Seem to get uncomfortably close some times though :fish_nerv: Different ships I know still I guess radar should be useful against noobs that get too close :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by LastRemnant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,906
[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead, Privateers
18,983 posts
5,224 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

In game does that work like spaced armor? I know I get lots of torpedo protection hits when I'm expecting citadels.

Yes it does.  So maybe it's not so bad for smaller shells.  But the big boys might be less of a threat with less citadel to hit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,255
[NYAAR]
[NYAAR]
Members
4,797 posts
20,735 battles
22 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

So it's like Duke of York having hydro :Smile_hiding: That ships fragile as :etc_swear:  

yeah

When broadside it can be citadeled by BBs, and have quite a bit of HP chunked off by Cruiser AP. The only time you are going to be broadside is if you want to use all four turrets. The aft arcs are bad forward. You can angle it, but you either lose one or both aft turrets. However, when it is angled, I was able to bounce T9 Iowa shells from about 10k.

If you go with the rudder shift mod, and you have the incoming fire warning, you can turn quickly enough to get out of the way.

I'm really liking how much fun I'm having with this ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,650 posts
1,608 battles

Much as I'd like this ship, they've priced me completely out of the market. 90 bucks for the desirable camo? Pass. Very cool looking boat - but I wouldn't feel right getting it without the neat camo, so I won't get it at all. 

I mean, to put 90 dollars in perspective, I bought like 7 games during the steam summer sale and did spend even 2/3rds of that. Not all of them were AAA games... but a few definitely were!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25,007
[ARGSY]
Members
31,062 posts
29,291 battles
1 hour ago, Lord_Slayer said:

I'm really liking how much fun I'm having with this ship.

Out of interest, if you buy only the ship, is the camo available to buy for dubs in the in-game interface? I know it was with Yukon.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
944 posts
2,251 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Out of interest, if you buy only the ship, is the camo available to buy for dubs in the in-game interface? I know it was with Yukon.

 

I'll confirm that.

 

On the note of my impression of the ship... it's a fun ship but feels a little... schitzo... on one hand you can get some phenominal range on it's main guns, and given it's speed and low armor you wanna fight at long ranges, on the other hand the torpedos and radar give me a feel that you wanna close in. I see the torps and radar as more something to make your opponents leery of sneaking into close ranges. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,650 posts
1,608 battles
23 minutes ago, BrianDavion said:

I'll confirm that.

 

On the note of my impression of the ship... it's a fun ship but feels a little... schitzo... on one hand you can get some phenominal range on it's main guns, and given it's speed and low armor you wanna fight at long ranges, on the other hand the torpedos and radar give me a feel that you wanna close in. I see the torps and radar as more something to make your opponents leery of sneaking into close ranges. 

To be fair, they were going to be crazy ships IRL, too - faster than any carriers the U.S. fielded for quite a while (ever?), with armor as thin as that of the first-generation British Battlecruisers, with huge hulls for the amount of ordinance they carried.

And they were going to be stacked up against the Amagis, which would have been the second best battlecruisers of the era (though still coming up short of the G3s, which would have just been amazing ships). All in all, I think you're lucky that the ship is fun, because they might have been complete duds if not completed as CVs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17,270
[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
38,132 posts
30,890 battles
31 minutes ago, Battleship_DukeofYork said:

To be fair, they were going to be crazy ships IRL, too - faster than any carriers the U.S. fielded for quite a while (ever?), with armor as thin as that of the first-generation British Battlecruisers, with huge hulls for the amount of ordinance they carried.

And they were going to be stacked up against the Amagis, which would have been the second best battlecruisers of the era (though still coming up short of the G3s, which would have just been amazing ships). All in all, I think you're lucky that the ship is fun, because they might have been complete duds if not completed as CVs.

The armor on the Lexington-class Battlecruisers was going to be ridiculously thin.  For the USN that historically prior that, has emphasized protection on their capital ships, this was a real unusual move. 

[X] Firepower

[X] Protection

[  ] Speed

That was the checklist with the prior US capital ships.  Lexingtons dropped the protection for speed.  The Amagis would have had a better balance of firepower (16"x8 just like the Lexingtons), speed (30kts is still plenty fast), and armor.  The older Kongo-class had a really thin 152mm armor belt also, very close to what Lexington-class would have been, and we saw how that worked out when taking 16" Armor Piercing shells at Guadalcanal.

 

Also I predict WG will put out a Premium Lexington-class Battlecruiser, configured to how they'd be like as built in the 1920s, and put in Tier VII... Just like Ashitaka, who was originally Tier VIII Amagi's stock hull.  Do that, and all we'd need is G3, but that won't be Tier VII material.  On paper the G3's looked good.

 

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
396
[_TKS_]
Members
866 posts
25,985 battles
6 hours ago, Battleship_DukeofYork said:

I feel like the freeboard is too high. I dunno. Something doesn't look right with the model.

If I sink it tomorrow

Will you still remember me.........  oh wait, you said freeboard.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
467
[REVEN]
Members
610 posts

Who’s stupid enough to buy a T8 BB which has T7 guns? Hmm? 
do I miss anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
389
[WOLFC]
Members
566 posts
7 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

I think it looks about right.

USS Lexington - Guide 046 - Battlecruisers (Human Voice) - YouTube

Lexington-class battlecruiser - Wikipedia

 

Given it's 'WW2' refit, the torpedo protection would have restored any buoyancy lost by the additional weight of the refit. About the only thing that seems a bit off is the speed as it should lose a knot or two from the torpedo bulge. 

I would disagree, the freeboard on the USN battleships that were given a major refit, like California, didn't change substantially. Given the drawings for the Lexingtons showed it sitting much lower in the water, I'm not sure what WG was thinking. 7.thumb.png.65a2634d7df03e1db4715843439f149f.png

It's also somewhat disappointing that Constellation doesn't have the proper 16"/50s that were produced for the class. 

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_16-50_mk2.php

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,247
[SVF]
Members
2,921 posts
2,776 battles
47 minutes ago, Qilang said:

Who’s stupid enough to buy a T8 BB which has T7 guns? Hmm? 
do I miss anything?

Well, not going to advocate either way on buy/no-buy, but Colorado guns still pack some punch even at T8, having equal or better pen than Richelieu's high velocity 380s out to ~8.6km and better pen than the 380s found on Tirpitz and Bismarck all the way to the 19.5km-20km range spread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,599
[CAAT]
Members
6,259 posts
8,033 battles
9 hours ago, Battleship_DukeofYork said:

I feel like the freeboard is too high. I dunno. Something doesn't look right with the model.

I said this as soon as I saw the model the very first time it was shown on the DevBlog. That freeboard is WAY too high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,652
[WOLF9]
Members
4,800 posts
12,232 battles

It seems very much a situational ship to me, one that will likely flourish when top tier but will struggle when bottom tier.

The torpedoes won't be useful unless in a brawl or unless enemies that straight-line, both of which are not guaranteed (brawl especially—good luck getting into range).

Radar could be useful against more daring dd's, but against the likes of shell-spamming smoke cruisers or island campers its utility seems limited.

That bow armor will likely be a big weakness, as even a North Carolina could overmatch that.

The deck armor seems quite thick but there is also a rather large amount of freeboard, which makes it a bigger HE target.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×