Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Airglide2

Wargaming, can we please increase/change the color ofthe size of the Countdown, FPS, and Ping numbers please???

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
1,155 posts
12,294 battles

Hey there.  I'm a big fan of the Mighty Jingle's replay videos.  90-95% of the time I watch them on my mobile device.  However the level of squinting I have to do to look at those numbers is inexcusable.  The worst part is the "white" color of the countdown seems to blend in so well with the sky, as that's where the numbers are usually placed at.  It's not Jingle's fault he moves the camera there, as that's really the proper camera angle to see everything.  The countdown changing to bright orange doesn't help either.  If you guys could fix this problem with our own method of adjustments or just make them bigger and colored differently, that'd be great. 

 

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,374
[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
7,757 posts

so you want changes made to the game so that it is easier to see when watching streams on mobile?

  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,155 posts
12,294 battles
3 minutes ago, SKurj said:

so you want changes made to the game so that it is easier to see when watching streams on mobile?

Correct.  Some replays he's posts, I'm so into the match that when the final countdown begins, I can't follow along because I don't know that the heck the timer is at and I lose all the excitement till the match ends.  It's annoying.  Or if I'm playing the game in my mind through the replay, I can't read the white numbers so I can't give an honest playthrough to myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,198
[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,523 battles
23 minutes ago, Airglide2 said:

Correct.  Some replays he's posts, I'm so into the match that when the final countdown begins, I can't follow along because I don't know that the heck the timer is at and I lose all the excitement till the match ends.  It's annoying.  Or if I'm playing the game in my mind through the replay, I can't read the white numbers so I can't give an honest playthrough to myself.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that optimizing the UI for mobile users to watch recorded replays is pretty far down the list of priorities for WG, in fact it's probably not a priority at all. The game is meant to be played on a PC, not a phone, and so the UI should and is made for that. That's why I always try and watch WOWS replays on my desktop.

Though I have watch plenty on my phone and can't say I've had an issue with seeing the match timer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,155 posts
12,294 battles
10 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that optimizing the UI for mobile users to watch recorded replays is pretty far down the list of priorities for WG, in fact it's probably not a priority at all. The game is meant to be played on a PC, not a phone, and so the UI should and is made for that. That's why I always try and watch WOWS replays on my desktop.

Though I have watch plenty on my phone and can't say I've had an issue with seeing the match timer.

If I turn up the resolution to 720p and up, then sure I can probably make out the numbers, somehow.  But I don't always have the convenience of good cell signal, so at 480p the numbers are blurry and unreadable.  

Look I'm not asking for something difficult.  Just make the numbers bigger, either by giving us options for sizes or they permanently increase the size.  That's all.

Edited by Airglide2
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,714
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
10 minutes ago, Airglide2 said:

If I turn up the resolution to 720p and up, then sure I can probably make out the numbers, somehow.  But I don't always have the convenience of good cell signal, so at 480p the numbers are blurry and unreadable. 

Changing the font to make it more legible on small screens in a low resolution video would only make it obtrusive for those playing the game at higher resolutions on a PC. You might be able to modify the game's font for your personal use though. There may already be a mod available that does what you want too. That said, if the video you are watching is of "potato" quality there is only so much that you will be able to discern on the screen no matter what you do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,155 posts
12,294 battles
9 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Changing the font to make it more legible on small screens in a low resolution video would only make it obtrusive for those playing the game at higher resolutions on a PC. You might be able to modify the game's font for your personal use though. There may already be a mod available that does what you want too. That said, if the video you are watching is of "potato" quality there is only so much that you will be able to discern on the screen no matter what you do.

Then make the size fit the space available.  There is enough room above and below the countdown number, for instance.  Moving the ribbons down just a touch shouldn't be that intrusive.  

Edited by Airglide2
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,222
[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

Playing on a PC is the way to go.

Why people insist on burning their focus out on tiny phone screens is beyond me.

As you get older or even gain replacement lenses after cataracts like I have, you require bigger monitors and more resolution among other things. I have actually a 4 inch magnifying glass now by the keyboard for those itty bitty numbers. Its silly. Then again not so silly. Just make sure its the type of magnifier of the modern no burn era. The old ones that can focus light to where you burn stuff is not what you want.

 

Once you have experienced the old IMAX imagery in fine detail you will never go back. (Played on a screen about 4 stories high and is equal to 12K video running film at a few miles every so often off a thousand pound reel 40 years ago.

Edited by xHeavy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,155 posts
12,294 battles
2 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

Why people insist on burning their focus out on tiny phone screens is beyond me.

Because my lifestyle doesn't afford me to hang out on my computer for more than an hour.  So in that hour I need to choose what is important to accomplish.  Lunch time, though, that's a good time to watch Jingles's replays.  

4 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

As you get older or even gain replacement lenses after cataracts like I have, you require bigger monitors and more resolution among other things. I have actually a 4 inch magnifying glass now by the keyboard for those itty bitty numbers. Its silly. Then again not so silly. Just make sure its the type of magnifier of the modern no burn era. The old ones that can focus light to where you burn stuff is not what you want.

Hence why I presented the option of giving us magnifying options for these numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,714
[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
19,325 posts
5 minutes ago, Airglide2 said:

Then make the size fit the space available.  There is enough room above and below the countdown number, for instance.  Moving the ribbons down just a touch shouldn't be that intrusive.  

I just realized that modifying your personal game would only work for replays, not YouTube videos. I can probably say that there is zero chance that either Wargaming or the people playing WOWS will change their settings so a YouTube video of the game can be viewed clearly at low resolution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,198
[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,523 battles
26 minutes ago, Airglide2 said:

If I turn up the resolution to 720p and up, then sure I can probably make out the numbers, somehow.  But I don't always have the convenience of good cell signal, so at 480p the numbers are blurry and unreadable.  

Look I'm not asking for something difficult.  Just make the numbers bigger, either by giving us options for sizes or they permanently increase the size.  That's all.

480 resolution? You'd have to make the numbers huge to read them with that. The countdown would be hilariously huge for anyone actually playing to do that. And there's not a lot of room up there, it's right on top of the ribbons and achievements which already fight for space with the team lists. All for a tiny edge case? Not going to happen.

And while you could make a mod, it'd still be useless because the person uploading the replay almost certainly wouldn't have it set that big so it'd be the same anyway. And there's no way WG is going to make everyone have a giant UI just you can read it on your tiny screen on bad resolution.

The bottom line is the game is meant to be played on a PC with up to 4K resolution, there's no way you can make that easily viewable on a mobile phone at 480p Youtube resolution. I think you need to accept that you're not going to get a perfect viewing experience on mobile with a bad cell signal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,155 posts
12,294 battles
7 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I just realized that modifying your personal game would only work for replays, not YouTube videos. I can probably say that there is zero chance that either Wargaming or the people playing WOWS will change their settings so a YouTube video of the game can be viewed clearly at low resolution.

Youtube is their biggest advertisement tool.  To not make it easier for players to see mostly everything in detail is so damn stupid as a business move, it hurts.

8 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

480 resolution? You'd have to make the numbers huge to read them with that. The countdown would be hilariously huge for anyone actually playing to do that. And there's not a lot of room up there, it's right on top of the ribbons and achievements which already fight for space with the team lists. All for a tiny edge case? Not going to happen.

And while you could make a mod, it'd still be useless because the person uploading the replay almost certainly wouldn't have it set that big so it'd be the same anyway. And there's no way WG is going to make everyone have a giant UI just you can read it on your tiny screen on bad resolution.

The bottom line is the game is meant to be played on a PC with up to 4K resolution, there's no way you can make that easily viewable on a mobile phone at 480p Youtube resolution. I think you need to accept that you're not going to get a perfect viewing experience on mobile with a bad cell signal.

Again, I can barely read the numbers out, not "Can't read them at all".  Giving the numbers a larger size will go a long way from where they currently sit.  They can decide how big.  I didn't say anything about modes.  Nothing.  I asked for magnifying options built into the settings.  Yes I will accept a bad signal when it comes too, but not at the size of the currently numbers.  Not without WG even trying to attempt a remedy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,198
[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,240 posts
4,523 battles
Just now, Airglide2 said:

Youtube is their biggest advertisement tool.  To not make it easier for players to see mostly everything in detail is so damn stupid as a business move, it hurts.

Again, I can barely read the numbers out, not "Can't read them at all".  Giving the numbers a larger size will go a long way from where they currently sit.  They can decide how big.  I didn't say anything about modes.  Nothing.  I asked for magnifying options built into the settings.  Yes I will accept a bad signal when it comes too, but not at the size of the currently numbers.  Not without WG even trying to attempt a remedy.

I think you're missing the point that there's nothing you can do to change the font size once the video is on Youtube. It's not physically possible. The replay file is just a list of information of what happened in the battle. This file can be run with the installed game client, which takes the information in the file and plays it using the settings the installed game has. This is then recorded into a video file, which is essentially taking a video of what's happening on screen. This video file is then uploaded to Youtube. So if WG were to allow people to change the font size then the person recording the replay would have to set the font big enough for you to read. Which would make it look absurd to anyone watching in decent resolution or on a bigger screen. Not to mention that since they probably don't play the game that way they would have to do this specifically for recording replays. So even if adjustable sizes were a thing most people still wouldn't use a size big enough for you to easily view.

And there's no way WG is (nor should they) force everyone to have a huge UI size just so you can watch in 480 on a phone.

To be honest 480p with Youtube compression on a mobile phone is a pretty crappy way way of watching, if you're going to use it then you need to accept there's going to be some comprises, like not being able to clearly read all the little numbers on screen. And yes, Youtube is a big marketing tool for WG, but a) the game is meant to be played on a computer so that's what they optimize it for, not watching on Youtube and b) most people watching on Youtube can use a higher resolution, if they aren't using their computer. WG makes changes for the majority of people and unfortunately you're not in that majority.

Look at it this way, WG completely discontinued support for Mac users. Did that cost them some players? I'm sure, but the benefits outweighed that loss. Same thing here, there's simply nowhere near enough people who need to watch WOWS replays on a mobile phone with 480p resolution to even think about making UI changes to suit all 2 of you.

 

Also, you have enough leisure time to play 12K battles but not enough time to watch a couple videos on something bigger than a phone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
421
[VOP]
Members
1,156 posts

I would rather WG make it possible to customize the font in the game chat so we can change it to stop blending with certain sky/sea state graphic conditions, certainly more useful.  We asked for that years ago, no luck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,155 posts
12,294 battles
4 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Also, you have enough leisure time to play 12K battles but not enough time to watch a couple videos on something bigger than a phone?

THAT was a different time in my life when I had more time do things LIKE play WOWS.  Times have changed and I have more responsibilities now.  Plus there's something called "tolerance", as in I've tolerated those tiny numbers for long enough.  It's time Wargaming did something about that.

8 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Not to mention that since they probably don't play the game that way they would have to do this specifically for recording replays. So even if adjustable sizes were a thing most people still wouldn't use a size big enough for you to easily view.

I disagree.  There's about a two hundred Twitch and Youtube players out there that load up nearly every single setting option there is under, well, settings.  I don't play with that stupid player-lineup setting on the screen's sides, as I could care less who the heck their name is and more what ship they drive.  But there is no option to change out their names for ships they drive.

Worse, I have to sit through those replays with that option checked off.  So there goes, "don't play the game that way they would have to do this specifically for recording replays."

18 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

To be honest 480p with Youtube compression on a mobile phone is a pretty crappy way way of watching, if you're going to use it then you need to accept there's going to be some comprises, like not being able to clearly read all the little numbers on screen. And yes, Youtube is a big marketing tool for WG, but a) the game is meant to be played on a computer so that's what they optimize it for, not watching on Youtube and b) most people watching on Youtube can use a higher resolution, if they aren't using their computer. WG makes changes for the majority of people and unfortunately you're not in that majority.

AGAIN, "Yes I will accept a bad signal when it comes too, but not at the size of the currently numbers.  Not without WG even trying to attempt a remedy."  I'm not disagreeing with you on crappy service situations, but considering mobile platforms are by and large more popular than desktop platforms, it would be to their benefit in remedying my problem.  I've tolerated that problem for a long time, kept my mouth shut, until now.  How many are probably in the same boat? 

A single letter written to a company about a complaint could represent 10,000 voices, but it took one person to get the word out.

Everything else you wrote about the step by step process in how a replay is performed, earlier, I agree with.

 

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,155 posts
12,294 battles
25 minutes ago, Airjellyfish said:

I would rather WG make it possible to customize the font in the game chat so we can change it to stop blending with certain sky/sea state graphic conditions, certainly more useful.  We asked for that years ago, no luck.

I second this option.  It's in my title, lol.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
421
[VOP]
Members
1,156 posts
4 hours ago, Airglide2 said:

I second this option.  It's in my title, lol.

Wargaming, can we please increase/change the color ofthe size of the Countdown, FPS, and Ping numbers please???

Here is your title. I do not see game chat listed. :-)  Game chat in the chat box is a totally different UI item. But thanks for the support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,155 posts
12,294 battles
2 minutes ago, Airjellyfish said:

Wargaming, can we please increase/change the color ofthe size of the Countdown, FPS, and Ping numbers please???

Here is your title. I do not see game chat listed. :-)  Game chat in the chat box is a totally different UI item. But thanks for the support.

Aaaaaand I done goofed.  Sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×