Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
chinabob

20,400,000 Commander XP Later,,,

13 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3
[CRUEL]
Members
26 posts
67,246 battles

After 5 months of focusing almost exclusively on promoting my previously top tier 19 point captains to the new 21 point tier, I am finished. 17 commanders are essentially back where they started with minor improvement in skills.  They can once again collect XP for other commanders but, frankly, I am unmotivated to chase another 1.759MM XP to promote a 17 point commander.  Anyone else trying to complete the task or have you finished weeks/months ago

I have had time to puzzle out a proposal that may intrigue the community that has interest in commanders with top tier skills.  Once each year, a player with at least one 21 point captain, can select a single ship which will be commanded by the "Imperial Admiral of the Fleet".  For the arbitrary cost of 3MM SHIP XP, an additional 4 commander points are added for a total of 25.  This rewards the effort to reach 21 skill points as well as provides the opportunity to use ship xp which almost everyone has in huge surplus.  The selection once a year becomes important as there are so many unknowns regarding battles and missions planned for later in the year.  Do you pick a specialty ship or a ship with multiple capabilities? I expect there would be a wide range of selections which may lead to interesting confrontations.

In any event, good luck to you in your efforts to reach 21 points.  I. for one, am glad to have it behind me.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
353
[HKC]
Members
995 posts
25,857 battles

I would barely notice performance differences in my 19 pnt captains if they were 21, so its not a concern of mine.  I do have several 20 pnt captains now, and one 21 pnt captain.    No gimmick or d-bag for-profit schemes  WG dreams up makes me do anything different.  I just play and have fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,060
[SLI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
10,578 posts

I have 6 or 7 of them now.  I grind tasks, events and ships but....captain xp comes along as a by product of that.  I am not going to sit around specifically grinding a captains, they get there when they get there.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,519
[SIMP]
Members
1,747 posts

I play this game everyday (coop) and since the cap was raised have yet to get even ONE of my 19 point captains to 21 points.

It's absolutely ludicrous that the grind from 19 to 21 is exactly the same as from 0 to 19 (for an additional paltry 2 point skill?). It completely de-motivated me to even try, so now I play AND SPEND way less than I used to. GREAT JOB WEEGEE, how about doing something else that takes some of your best supporters and alienates them? You seem to EXCEL at that! (looks at not only 21 point captain money grab, but stabbing LMW in the back with Yukon, Puerto Rico debacle, etc. etc.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,198
[PVE]
Members
12,064 posts
21,308 battles

I have 2 or 3, 21 point commanders now and probably 15, 19 pointers to still upgrade, it's become a 5 year plan.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,760
[RLGN]
Members
19,142 posts
35,184 battles
15 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I have 2 or 3, 21 point commanders now and probably 15, 19 pointers to still upgrade, it's become a 5 year plan.

Something like this. (I have 2 or 3?)

I can’t really say getting captains to 21 points means much too me.

I play the captains I have, at the points they’re at.

I have the E xp to generate at least two more, but haven’t seen any point to spending it.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,417
[TO32]
Wiki Editor
6,577 posts
17,526 battles
31 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

I have 2 or 3, 21 point commanders now and probably 15, 19 pointers to still upgrade, it's become a 5 year plan.

Similar for me as well. Had enough stockpiled to promote two from 19 to 21 on day one (which I did to Yamamoto and Halsey) but it used most of my reserves. Promoted my third sometime in late 10.2/early 10.3 (again for a large chunk of my ecxp). And then there’s been some ecxp usage here and there for other retrainings and lower level promotions.

I had enough to do another full 1.2 million 19 -> 21 jump toward the beginning of this patch (but my top three contenders require a lot less than that now since they’ve been grinding toward 20 in the mean time), but I’m still holding off until that captain moves up to the t10 (Kremlin, Republique, and Venezia respectively) so I get the 19 point retraining cost rather than the 21 point one. Still not sure which one I’ll bump up next, though - Kremlin’s the closest, but the french commander has more premiums to swap between and Venezia will probably get more use than Kremlin.

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,198
[PVE]
Members
12,064 posts
21,308 battles
3 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Similar for me as well. Had enough stockpiled to promote two from 19 to 21 on day one (which I did to Yamamoto and Halsey) but it used most of my reserves. Promoted my third sometime in late 10.2/early 10.3 (again for a large chunk of my ecxp).

I had enough to do another full 1.2 million 19 -> 21 jump toward the beginning of this patch (but my top three contenders require a lot less than that now since they’ve been grinding toward 20 in the mean time), but I’m still holding off until that captain moves up to the t10 (Kremlin, Republique, and Venezia respectively) so I get the 19 point retraining cost rather than the 21 point one. Still not sure which one I’ll bump up next, though - Kremlin’s the closest, but the french commander has more premiums to swap between and Venezia will probably get more use than Kremlin. 

What makes it even harder, is if you use the points to change skills for certain ships, possibly for certain events. It could be a 10 year plan to get my previously topped off captains back. I don't know who is the WG market strategist, but if their strategy is to make me spend less and care less about their game, it's working perfectly.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,138
[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
6,535 posts
29,664 battles

I have 22 19 pointers now at 21 points and 13 more to go. As @Burnsy stated, I grind missions and ECXP is a byproduct. I huge byproduct when Operation Narai is active, especially when I use those special flags and cammos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,141
[WPORT]
Members
20,733 posts
22,656 battles
7 hours ago, chinabob said:

After 5 months of focusing almost exclusively on promoting my previously top tier 19 point captains to the new 21 point tier, I am finished. 17 commanders are essentially back where they started with minor improvement in skills.  They can once again collect XP for other commanders but, frankly, I am unmotivated to chase another 1.759MM XP to promote a 17 point commander.  Anyone else trying to complete the task or have you finished weeks/months ago

I have had time to puzzle out a proposal that may intrigue the community that has interest in commanders with top tier skills.  Once each year, a player with at least one 21 point captain, can select a single ship which will be commanded by the "Imperial Admiral of the Fleet".  For the arbitrary cost of 3MM SHIP XP, an additional 4 commander points are added for a total of 25.  This rewards the effort to reach 21 skill points as well as provides the opportunity to use ship xp which almost everyone has in huge surplus.  The selection once a year becomes important as there are so many unknowns regarding battles and missions planned for later in the year.  Do you pick a specialty ship or a ship with multiple capabilities? I expect there would be a wide range of selections which may lead to interesting confrontations.

In any event, good luck to you in your efforts to reach 21 points.  I. for one, am glad to have it behind me.

 

The top-ranking Commanders in my Fleet have 17 skill points.
I am not going to attempt to make a specific effort towards training them up to 21 skill points.
I'll play the ships that I want to play, according to my mood and other criteria.  
Eventually, someday, perhaps.... one or more of my Commanders will reach 21 skill points.
Meanwhile, I'm here to have fun.

Also, there are creative-writing efforts that I take more seriously than the notion of grinding XP/CXP for the sake of reaching 21 skill points.
https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/221037-if-our-commanders-could-talk/

Since the most recent Captain's Skills re-work, the cost of skill points has gone up, while the effects of Captain's skills have in many ways been diminished.
It costs more skill points to achieve a "build" that could be done previously with the 19 skill point limit, AND the build is less effective or impossible to use with certain types of ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,322
[WOLF5]
Members
2,442 posts
17,239 battles

Although I have nine 21-point Captains and play Coop everyday, practically I only use two of these on the 6 or 7 mainly premium ships that I routinely use (Yamamoto and Ovechkin). Ovechkin also allows use of certain RU ships. Basically though I end up with an ever-increase pile of EXP for which I have no practical use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
439
[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,666 posts
30,277 battles

Beyond the 3 basic points needed for DD captains, there is no need for captain skills in Co-Op. So I have only 1 21er. Stockpiling CXP for whatever I would use it if I continue playing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,222
[-TRM-]
Members
5,566 posts

The captian performance is not that noticable. A 12 does as well as a 21.

Remember the skills and cmdr rework nerfed across the board and requires less capability for much more cost in xp points to 21.

I have a few 21's and gaining more slowly. When 10.0 hit I gained nothing. All were stuck at 19. The ones that made it that far prior to then.

The unconverted FXP is the bigger problem last winter I had 3 million some weeks ago I had 10 million. I have more than that now. Which will cost about 1500 to 2000 in doubleloons to convert to FXP that will probably produce a few more 21's There is no point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×