You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Shomaruki

DD mafia has returned and team hates the CV >_>

89 comments in this topic

[AWOW]
Members
320 posts
690 battles

So I tried a few rounds and have to say the outcomes

1) Rockets yes are waste of planes. EVEN if you are able to hit ships, I'm burning though planes from the delay. Top it off, I'm aware you have to lead up with rockets unlike before you can make minor adjustments at the cost of losing some accuracy. Now I'm just getting the middle finger if a ship moves period.  So I said to myself I'm going to try and go through the round without even worrying about the DDs. 

I'm use to seeing 2-3 DDs on the team but gawd damn I'm seeing 4 now? Almost every game, and the sad part is, really most I can do is spot them. I'm having to find which way of thousand cuts, do I want to waste my time trying to mess with a DD, or just spot them where my team will ultimately ignore them. And the sad truth is the main reason why I focus DDs is primarily due to my team could be sailing beside one that could have the captain stand on deck and piss on the other ship and they wouldn't pay it any attention.

*Edit*

For the record got the normal complaints, I didn't provide enough cover fire from DD. (Ha..Ha...ha)  

Edited by Shomaruki
  • Cool 6
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 21
  • Meh 6

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,113 posts
13,531 battles

Spotting them is helping. Fights have always been asymmetric, so having a ship class be relatively inefficient at dealing damage to another specific class is the norm.

• Thanks 4
  • Meh 1

[-TKS-]
Members
1,161 posts
9,242 battles
10 minutes ago, Shomaruki said:

1) Rockets yes are waste of planes. EVEN if you are able to hit ships, I'm burning though planes from the delay. Top it off, I'm aware you have to lead up with rockets unlike before you can make minor adjustments at the cost of losing some accuracy. Now I'm just getting the middle finger if a ship moves period.  So I said to myself I'm going to try and go through the round without even worrying about the DDs. 

I'm use to seeing 2-3 DDs on the team but gawd damn I'm seeing 4 now? Almost every game, and the sad part is, really most I can do is spot them. I'm having to find which way of thousand cuts, do I want to waste my time trying to mess with a DD, or just spot them where my team will ultimately ignore them. And the sad truth is the main reason why I focus DDs is primarily due to my team could be sailing beside one that could have the captain stand on deck and piss on the other ship and they wouldn't pay it any attention. 

Idk how you're burning through planes, they are invincible during the delay and it is easier to dodge flak now.

Yeah DD can run much more amok now if you are using the IJN/US Tiny Tim lines. Do what I do, if they tell you to target the DDs, reply "Do what you would do if a CV wasn't here" OR "So you would normally just die if a CV wasn't in the match?" I literally have those on a notepad to copy paste for the tier 6-8 games where you're more likely to encounter 1000 game know it alls. 

Play efficiently:

• Rotate through the plane types to get the restoration times running
  • Target ships close by, alone, weak aa, what can't run, what can be targeted by your team

The evidence suggests that the higher damage you put out, the higher your win rate is. Kill those battleships if your CV is designed to do so (which isn't lol). Your BBs will last longer, you'll have more guns free to HAVE to shoot lit destroyers, and you'll probably win more often than not. 

If a DD is lit, hit it.

All of this is not rule of thumb as there are situations where you must focus a DD somehow someway. These are guidelines. Best of Luck!

Edited by Merc_R_Us
  • Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
6,570 posts
7,187 battles

A DD asking for a CV to do anything more than dropping a fighter over the red DD nowadays wants everything handed to them in a platter. Ignore them. 

The greatest threat to DDs are other DDs, and that has always been the case. Just by providing spotting you are already helping them quite a bit. No point sacrificing your game so they can get a kill.

Saying this as a predominantly DD player.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 4
  • Meh 1

[WGF]
Members
95 posts

If you're playing USN CVs you can still mess up a DD's day with moderate effort using DBs.

There is at least one DD every other match that either can't be bothered to or is too potato to dodge rockets even now, so it's always worth a shot, unless you're playing with Tiny Tims.

And maybe I've just been lucky, but when I've been playing CV of late, friendly ships have been more responsive when I spot and ping DD targets for them.

Edited by diain

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,165 posts
20,111 battles

I still support the idea of a different mode. One that allows CV’s and soon to be submarines. As well as a CV and submarine free mode

Offer good rewards for combat missions as a incentive to enter that mode but, make them optional not a requirement.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Meh 4

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,021 posts
10,383 battles
1 hour ago, Shomaruki said:

Top it off, I'm aware you have to lead up with rockets unlike before you can make minor adjustments at the cost of losing some accuracy.

Oh no, you have to lead?! How horrible! :cap_popcorn:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,702 posts
6,726 battles

1) Rockets yes are waste of planes. EVEN if you are able to hit ships, I'm burning though planes from the delay.

This is false.  Planes don't take AA damage during the attack animation.

[AWOW]
Members
320 posts
690 battles
1 minute ago, Helstrem said:

This is false.  Planes don't take AA damage during the attack animation.

Poor choice of words on my end, I just feel as though I'm already Burning through Flying Time to get to a ship, Burning time to avoid Flak, Line Up to lead for an attack Just to now be delayed on drop.  I have no issues with plane lost but the the amount of effort for rocket planes is more High Risk with Little Reward. 

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,515 posts

I'm burning though planes from the delay.

you have to lead up with rockets

I'm use to seeing 2-3 DDs

If you click the mouse again after you click to start the rocket firing timer it will give you immediate control over the next attack group with no waiting for the animation to complete.

I have to lead the pheasants I shoot at too -- the darn things just won't ever fly still for me.

I was seeing 4-5 DDs per team long before the rocket rework. Every time there is a battleship event the DDs all come out to play.

• Cool 1

Members
1,677 posts
18,594 battles

To my knowledge the DD mafia never went away. They may have been driven underground for a short time... plotting their revenge.

I have noticed an increase in DD activity 4 DD per team games are not unusual these days.

Edited by CrazyHorse_Denver

[MOD]
Members
42 posts
4,917 battles

Quite frankly, the DDs who were getting hit by 8+ rockets regularly were either not paying attention or not angling their ships well. That was true before the rocket nerf, and the same after the nerf. The nerf is more of a 'DD awareness check' than a 'CV skill check'. I can line up the perfect spot of where that DD will be in 5 seconds, but by telling the DD player exactly when and where that area will be and what the angle of the area is, dodging is significantly easier. 

Rockets have always been a giant shotgun meant to shoot at a small target. Now it's a even less accurate shotgun. If the rocket delay is going to stay the same, the dispersion area should be tightened.

[AWOW]
Members
320 posts
690 battles
Just now, DragonPup said:

Quite frankly, the DDs who were getting hit by 8+ rockets regularly were either not paying attention or not angling their ships well. That was true before the rocket nerf, and the same after the nerf. The nerf is more of a 'DD awareness check' than a 'CV skill check'. I can line up the perfect spot of where that DD will be in 5 seconds, but by telling the DD player exactly when and where that area will be and what the angle of the area is, dodging is significantly easier. 

Rockets have always been a giant shotgun meant to shoot at a small target. Now it's a even less accurate shotgun. If the rocket delay is going to stay the same, the dispersion area should be tightened.

But I feel just because they weren't paying attention, why should CV life become harder? If a DD sneaks up on me and I get bent over dry but a swarm of torps that's my own fault, I can't blame their high concealment for it. They get notices that planes can be seen, I mean at this point why not everyone get an alert that Shells are about to hit you if you don't turn your ship >_>. 

• Haha 2

[BONKS]
Members
427 posts
10,006 battles
2 minutes ago, Shomaruki said:

But I feel just because they weren't paying attention, why should CV life become harder? If a DD sneaks up on me and I get bent over dry but a swarm of torps that's my own fault, I can't blame their high concealment for it. They get notices that planes can be seen, I mean at this point why not everyone get an alert that Shells are about to hit you if you don't turn your ship >_>. 

It's much harder for a destroyer to slip through multiple levels of screening and spotting to reach you. While spotting a destroyer with planes is trivially easy if you know the general direction they're in. Striking is still not difficult as most destroyers can't physically turn out of a well aimed strike, due to turning circle and rudder shift times.

• Cool 4

[MOD]
Members
42 posts
4,917 battles

I think a better compromise is to have the rocket machine guns firing the moment the attack run begins and keeps firing until the rockets are fired, and when you hit the mouse to fire the delay is reverted to pre-10.5. This way enemy ships know you are on the attack run, the vector of the attack run, but they don't know precisely *when* the rockets will be fired. 

• Thanks 1

Members
1,028 posts
13,474 battles

I dunno chief. Every game in CB with a CV vs a team without one speaks for itself in results.

Something something spotting, something something bomber planes.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,233 posts
4,348 battles
3 hours ago, Shomaruki said:

*Edit*

For the record got the normal complaints, I didn't provide enough cover fire from DD. (Ha..Ha...ha)  

Rockets aren't wasted, use them on cruisers instead, or even BBs if you want to light fires. 

You can still hit DDs, HE bombs do very nasty things to DDs. They require some skill to use sure, but they are a very effective anti-DD weapon.

The biggest threat a CV brings is spotting, even just flying over a DD causes them problems. Just because you're not dropping doesn't mean you're not doing something.

In short, you need to change the way to you play CV.

And the DD mafia never went away, they just got sneakier...

[SALVO]
Members
9,000 posts
6,709 battles
2 hours ago, CrazyHorse_Denver said:

To my knowledge the DD mafia never went away. The may have been driven underground for a short time... plotting their revenge.

07f6pY9.png

• Funny 7
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[LEGIO]
Members
3,568 posts
9,106 battles

DDs always play the victim, even now they'll complain if a CV manages to defy the odds and hit them.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 2

[CLUMP]
Members
2,051 posts
2,424 battles

DD reading this how dare you to say anything bad against DDs you CV pleb:Smile_izmena: 

• Haha 2

[WKY20]
Members
4,222 posts
26,429 battles

Remember all the times WG has mentioned in passing that they would like to reduce BB overpopulation? This may be a component of their solution. 

[KIA-C]
Members
3,824 posts
16,806 battles

If you play CV to hunt DD, then I'm assuming you play a US CV. If you play US CV then that means you have access to that totally balanced HEDB.

If you hunt DD with other CV then you should reconsider your decision. Heck even Audacious that has rockets that murder DD is more a farming CV than a DD hunter. 

[BLUES]
Members
50 posts

As a IJN DD player, I absolutely hate being spotted over and over by a plane when I'm minding my own business and just trying to be sneaky. Drives me crazy. It's like radar that's following me around. I watch Priority Target counters climb as a plane tracks me. ARRGGGG!!! STOP IT!!!! GO AWAY!!!!!!

<deep breath>

So yes, you are having an effect and helping your team by spotting DD's. Please stop it. :-)

• Haha 1
  • Boring 1