You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

USS Constellation In Armoury

51 comments in this topic

[UNHLY]
Members
3,426 posts
26,174 battles

Well its here for those Lexington BattleCruiser Fans, it  just pop up in the armoury.

I was keen to look into this ship but sadly thanks to #YUKONGATE that ship has sailed.

Thanks WG keep up the good work.  

Edited by tm63au
  • Cool 8
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 3

[IJAG]
Members
358 posts
18,710 battles
3 minutes ago, tm63au said:

I was keen to look into this ship but sadly thanks to #YUKONGATE that ship has sailed.

Thanks WG keep up the good work.  

Yeah. What a shame.

• Cool 4

[FRR]
Members
1,025 posts
36 minutes ago, tm63au said:

+1

[CUDA]
Members
568 posts
9,209 battles

"If deemed necessary, balance changes may be applied to Constellation." They covered that base.

Sharp looking ship, bet it plays like Tirpitz.

• Boring 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,581 posts
31,379 battles
29 minutes ago, Swervenkill said:

"If deemed necessary, balance changes may be applied to Constellation." They covered that base.

Sharp looking ship, bet it plays like Tirpitz.

I sorta doubt it, primarily because its armor is light compared to the Tirpitz' solid armor.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[ARGSY]
Members
25,140 posts
19,146 battles
1 hour ago, tm63au said:

sadly thanks to #YUKONGATE that ship has sailed.

WG NA promised something they lacked the authority to offer, Mouse got all starry-eyed "because Canada", and then WG NA failed to check back on whether their promise was being honoured. That was always going to end badly.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 7
  • Meh 11

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
829 posts
7,512 battles

Well, I said a long time ago I'd get either Lex or Sara if they appeared in battlecruiser forms, and Constellation was one of their sisters of the class.   Put my money where my mouth was and bought it.  Plain version, but the frigate camo looks sharp, also.  I kept thinking she rides too high, but next to Lexington, her freeboard doesn't look too off.

Going to take her into the training room later to see what's what.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
294 posts
19 minutes ago, Ann_Darrow said:

Well, I said a long time ago I'd get either Lex or Sara if they appeared in battlecruiser forms, and Constellation was one of their sisters of the class.   Put my money where my mouth was and bought it.  Plain version, but the frigate camo looks sharp, also.  I kept thinking she rides too high, but next to Lexington, her freeboard doesn't look too off.

Is the alternate black camo offered in exteriors for gold Ann?

If anyone knows, can you apply the coupon if you buy it for gold in the armory? I feel like the answer to this is "no"

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
829 posts
7,512 battles
7 minutes ago, BugsBunni said:

If anyone knows, can you apply the coupon if you buy it for gold in the armory? I feel like the answer to this is "no"

Just checked.  The black camo is still available from your camo tab in-port for 5000 doubloons if you only buy the base version of the ship.

As for the coupon, it probably won't be able to be used.  The armory doesn't show the option since I already have Connie, but the coupon option doesn't show up for the deluxe packs, or for the Yukon, which I haven't purchased.   So, I would assume "no", also.

• Thanks 2

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,944 posts
21,900 battles
2 hours ago, tm63au said:

Well its here for those Lexington BattleCruiser Fans, it  just pop up in the armoury.

However does it have the same fire control reduction as the Lexington? That would be interesting if a BB ship had that type of damage control. Constellation: Go ahead HE spammers, do your worse. :Smile_playing:

Edited by Tpaktop2_1

[PVE]
Members
294 posts
12 minutes ago, Ann_Darrow said:

Just checked.  The black camo is still available from your camo tab in-port for 5000 doubloons if you only buy the base version of the ship.

As for the coupon, it probably won't be able to be used.  The armory doesn't show the option since I already have Connie, but the coupon option doesn't show up for the deluxe packs, or for the Yukon, which I haven't purchased.   So, I would assume "no", also.

Thanks for checking into those Ann!

I had a feeling. I think I might try this ship though and hope it doesn't get nerfed, lol.

[DRY]
Members
289 posts
9,192 battles
33 minutes ago, BugsBunni said:

You won't be able to use the coupon until the ship is moved out of the 'Featured' category. At that point coupons will be available but it'll be for the ship alone, no bundles.

I think I'm going to have to exercise some self control and wait until then.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
294 posts
1 minute ago, ProfessorLumpy said:

You won't be able to use the coupon until the ship is moved out of the 'Featured' category. At that point coupons will be available but it'll be for the ship alone, no bundles.

I think I'm going to have to exercise some self control and wait until then.

You certainly possess more will power than I, lol.

[YORHA]
Members
5,446 posts
10,609 battles

1671432555_WalletShut.thumb.gif.de778f1f

• Cool 8
  • Boring 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,902 posts

After careful thought I decided not to buy her for now.

The radar is a powerful draw at 10km and 30 seconds which can be extended another 20 to 30% more run time with upgrades applied. Her inadequate citadel armor thickness killed the idea of buying her. She will not survive being critted and burned down Stalingrad Style in battle with Human Red teams. In addition T8 is a little bit light. I did for example buy the strasbourg and special seasoned french commander for it so Narai will have a option to use that one. The coupon was applied as well so I feel good about it.

The Coin sale to FXP was taken advantage of as well. Reconfigured the Shima to do torp delivery much better than what it was before. AA was proven to be junk so those points were sent to other things. Some retrained tech tree ships were bought. The Elbing was sold off this time for good. It tries so hard but ultimately the guns are too slow in dd vs dd fights that get it sunk fast. No hydro means its blind unlike the Z52 for example. So thats the final end of that.

Auction? Meh, decided to not participate. I am always willing to try anything once. But when you learn that you are bidding agains the whales in the entire world with up to a billion credits to LOLWINfail whatever coal they would like to get they can have it. Credits roll in anyway.

The Flags? Less important. But still use the economic ones and some camo. Otherwise I am pretty much done with flags unless in a special match or something.

The Grind? I cannot be bothered with the steel, so thats finished. The Ranked is also finished. That leaves ops, grand battle and randoms to grind and annoy the bejeezus out of humans. Much faster than your standard coop which is still useful.

The biggest change this month which is pernament is when I buy from a US Bank account by credit card, my bank security challenges each transaction with WG specifically in real time. If the necessary passwords do not authenticate then it does not go through. period. Its strictly a case by case basis. If Bank is told to remove WG from legal buying online then thats it for them. so I plan my purchasing very carefully.

That particular account now has additional real time human security watching over it for a fee. I alerady challenged and clawed back two transactions that were a failure and not my fault last month. The growing financial issues and losses thereof is getting pretty serious so that account is tied to absolutely nothing. When I spend what I spend there is like 5 cents in it. So if the hacker got through and emptied it of 5 cents he exposes himself to prosecution which has been very effective in the past.

Edited by xHeavy
  • Cool 2

[OPR8]
[OPR8]
Members
5 posts
4,916 battles

I have one question about WG's new Constellation - Why doesn't it have it's 16"/50 (40.6 cm) Mark 2 guns?

That's what the ship was designed for, and the Navy actually produced over 50 of those weapons even though the Lex and contemporary South Dakota's (BB) were cancelled by treaty.

Those guns had a muzzle velocity of 853 mps, and they existed...but they give her old 16" 45's for the old Colorado instead. 

It would be the same thing if they arbitrarily decided to give the Bismarck/Tirpitz Bayern's old 15" guns (well, it's a German 15" gun...who cares?).

I am disappointed.

Edited by j11189
  • Thanks 1

Members
462 posts
1 hour ago, j11189 said:

I have one question about WG's new Constellation - Why doesn't it have it's 16"/50 (40.6 cm) Mark 2 guns?

That's what the ship was designed for, and the Navy actually produced over 50 of those weapons even though the Lex and contemporary South Dakota's (BB) were cancelled by treaty.

Those guns had a muzzle velocity of 853 mps, and they existed...but they give her old 16" 45's for the old Colorado instead. 

It would be the same thing if they arbitrarily decided to give the Bismarck/Tirpitz Bayern's old 15" guns (well, it's a German 15" gun...who cares?).

I am disappointed.

And where are the bloody cage masts? Why must WG bastardize a perfectly lovely design?

Oh, bollocks. Never mind. Poor old HMS Iron Duke is still off hunting her lost funnel.

Edited by Hookie_Bell
  • Cool 5

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,902 posts

The cage masts caused more problems than they are worth.

The new style tripods or mast towers we used after is much superior. Not to mention savings in manpower, labor and steel for wartime.

When the BB's were raised from the bottom of Pearl they were rebuilt with many things removed and changed updated etc. However with one exception when they exacted revenge most of the time they were too slow for much other than Shore Bombardment and huge disgusting amounts of new AA among other benefits.

• Thanks 1
  • Boring 2

[OPR8]
[OPR8]
Members
5 posts
4,916 battles
15 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

The new style tripods or mast towers we used after is much superior. Not to mention savings in manpower, labor and steel for wartime.

When the BB's were raised from the bottom of Pearl they were rebuilt with many things removed and changed updated etc. However with one exception when they exacted revenge most of the time they were too slow for much other than Shore Bombardment and huge disgusting amounts of new AA among other benefits.

This is straying off (my) topic a bit, but the cage masts were removed in wartime refits primarily because of opening up fields of fire for AA weapons.

The same evolutionary process that saw superstructures and funnels reduced in refits and new wartime construction such as the California and West Virginia BBs, and the Brooklyn and Astoria class rebuilds of 1943/44, and the late war Fargo and Oregon City classes.

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
829 posts
7,512 battles
19 minutes ago, xHeavy said:

I'll say this much.  The New Mexico-class looked kinda off when I first saw them in-game--like they were missing something.  I couldn't put my finger on it until I found out later that they historically used to have cage masts.  Aesthetically, I thought they had bad hair cuts or something.

/shrug

• Boring 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,700 posts
26,591 battles
7 hours ago, Ann_Darrow said:

High freeboard is what you see with some navies that actually have to deal with waves.  Unlike Paper Petropavlovsk.  If Petro had any lower of a freeboard, she'd need periscopes.

bffd96c4b5bebe990d5b927bb01db615--milita5460ab03dbd6d6a1ee54aebae003030c.png9ea014074e29e053adfcab72d143f4c7.jpg1edb80890.jpg

Battleship North Carolina below in 1944.

q3cfenn0rl6y.jpg

Petropavlovsk would have sunk the moment she left port.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,515 posts

Unless I really missed something the armor on this thing is only 176mm along the citadel.  Shouldn't this be classed as a super cruiser at this point?

[LEGIO]
Members
3,568 posts
9,106 battles

The fact that they couldn't even be bothered to put the right guns on it is pretty sad. The guns are one of the main selling points, the armor certainly isn't.

[4_0_4]
Members
302 posts
1,787 battles
19 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

Unless I really missed something the armor on this thing is only 176mm along the citadel.  Shouldn't this be classed as a super cruiser at this point?

There’s actually an interior strip on the inside of the torpedo bulges, I think it puts the total belt over 300.  There’s no doubt she’s thin skinned in some places, though. Looking forward to taking mine out tonight. ^_^

• Cool 1

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
829 posts
7,512 battles
34 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

High freeboard is what you see with some navies that actually have to deal with waves.  Unlike Paper Petropavlovsk.  If Petro had any lower of a freeboard, she'd need periscopes.

bffd96c4b5bebe990d5b927bb01db615--milita5460ab03dbd6d6a1ee54aebae003030c.png9ea014074e29e053adfcab72d143f4c7.jpg1edb80890.jpg

Battleship North Carolina below in 1944.

q3cfenn0rl6y.jpg

Petropavlovsk would have sunk the moment she left port.

Yep.   It would've rivalled the USS Monitor in the midships area.  It honestly looks like it's going down by the stern.  The Pacific Ocean would definitely have eaten it up by breaking its keel, if it hadn't sunk leaving an actual port.