You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
db4100

Do You Really Want a "Grand Battle"???

19 comments in this topic

[LWA]
Members
1,366 posts
15,829 battles

Hey WG, if you want us to be happy for the "Grand Battle" event, then how about the only two ships in the event battles are the Satsuma and the Hannover.  A full team of Satsuma's vs a full team of Hannovers........now that would be fun and engaging

• Cool 1

[VORTX]
Members
688 posts
8,873 battles
3 minutes ago, db4100 said:

Hey WG, if you want us to be happy for the "Grand Battle" event, then how about the only two ships in the event battles are the Satsuma and the Hannover.  A full team of Satsuma's vs a full team of Hannovers........now that would be fun and engaging

That would actually be a blast. As it is, you mostly just get burned to death 😭

I’ll add, I have really enjoyed the game mode. Most of my funs been burning them down 🤣

Members
112 posts
3,512 battles

I actually misread the Grand Battle description, i really did think it was going to be a big Battleship brawl and then i saw Cruisers and Destroyers and figured it was just a Random Battle with a couple of big guest stars.

[UNHLY]
Members
5,204 posts
14,599 battles
1 hour ago, Pirate_Named_Sue said:

That would actually be a blast. As it is, you mostly just get burned to death 😭

I’ll add, I have really enjoyed the game mode. Most of my funs been burning them down 🤣

Agreed. Making it all supers vs supers would certainly be interesting, and something different from randoms-but-smaller like we have now.

Of course, we then wouldn’t be able to use the mode to grind out t9s like I have been, and I know I’m not the only one. Stats don’t matter and the payouts are still pretty good even on a loss. Rounds can be frustrating when you watch a team fall apart with target fixation from the beginning, but at the same time the enemy teams often fall victim to the same must-shoot-giant-pinata-over-everything-else mentality so your cruiser/destroyer/normal battleship often gets ignored more than it should.

Sometimes I feel bad for the supers since the only thing super about them is the size of target painted on their backs. And then I see way too many of them not running any sort of fire reduction skills, so I set a couple fires on one or two and go back to shooting the important targets.

I mean, it’s not like we were given 21 point commanders for both supers or anything like that. But the number of times I’ve seen no-FP supers and multiple fires running the full minute on them is much higher than it should be. Not that I’m complaining about the enemy supers making it easier to burn them down, obviously. 

[CO-OP]
Members
3,795 posts
31,081 battles

While I understand the sentiment, I enjoy grinding tier 9 ships in this mode.

• Cool 4

[O-B-G]
Members
83 posts
9,981 battles

I have had a lot of fun in Grand Battles.

Lets me try ships classes i do not normally play as in DD's and it does not hurt the team stats if i do not do well.

One ship I have done very well with is Slava. Set a few fires and them hammer away with AP. Just got her from the research bureau and have done better with her then the Hanover or satsuma but then in those 2 everyone wants a piece of you.

Z-52 has done incredibly well for me as well.

[VORTX]
Members
688 posts
8,873 battles
10 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Agreed. Making it all supers vs supers would certainly be interesting, and something different from randoms-but-smaller like we have now.

Of course, we then wouldn’t be able to use the mode to grind out t9s like I have been, and I know I’m not the only one. Stats don’t matter and the payouts are still pretty good even on a loss. Rounds can be frustrating when you watch a team fall apart with target fixation from the beginning, but at the same time the enemy teams often fall victim to the same must-shoot-giant-pinata-over-everything-else mentality so your cruiser/destroyer/normal battleship often gets ignored more than it should.

Sometimes I feel bad for the supers since the only thing super about them is the size of target painted on their backs. And then I see way too many of them not running any sort of fire reduction skills, so I set a couple fires on one or two and go back to shooting the important targets.

I mean, it’s not like we were given 21 point commanders for both supers or anything like that. But the number of times I’ve seen no-FP supers and multiple fires running the full minute on them is much higher than it should be. Not that I’m complaining about the enemy supers making it easier to burn them down, obviously. 

Agreed on all fronts. I didn’t grind out any T9s, though I definitely made a ton of ECXP off my existing 21 pointers and a ton of silver for future boats. Having no stats was refreshing. 

I found Hannover to be more fun while Satsuma was the more effective ship. Yay meta?

Members
286 posts
5,873 battles

I would like a real "Grand" battle, where only T9/T10 BBs are allowed to play and there are 4 Super BBs out of 9 teammates. 

[ARGSY]
Members
25,131 posts
19,133 battles
20 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

And then I see way too many of them not running any sort of fire reduction skills,

Be aware that everyone knows this is a temporary mode, so the Hannover captains at least are pouring all their skills into secondaries so they'll go full-on death blossom when they activate that special bonus with their main guns. In addition, because you have to pony up your own cash for upgrade slots, plenty of people are not running DCS mods 1 or 2.

Members
112 posts
3,512 battles
14 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Be aware that everyone knows this is a temporary mode, so the Hannover captains at least are pouring all their skills into secondaries so they'll go full-on death blossom when they activate that special bonus with their main guns. In addition, because you have to pony up your own cash for upgrade slots, plenty of people are not running DCS mods 1 or 2.

That's interesting, it never even occurred to me to put any skills into secondaries

• Sad 1

[WOLFG]
Members
34,348 posts
10,587 battles
21 hours ago, HamptonRoads said:

While I understand the sentiment, I enjoy grinding tier 9 ships in this mode.

Yeah, I don't quite get it, but I'm getting much more damage in my DDs, (win or lose) but there's fewer HP than a Random match.

How does that happen?

[CO-OP]
Members
3,795 posts
31,081 battles
7 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Yeah, I don't quite get it, but I'm getting much more damage in my DDs, (win or lose) but there's fewer HP than a Random match.

How does that happen?

More battleships, and fewer cruisers means more opportunities for DDs to excel.  

[WKY19]
Beta Testers
2,313 posts
15,141 battles

Grand battles didn't feel that grand.

[FORM]
Members
2,417 posts
13,576 battles
23 hours ago, db4100 said:

A full team of Satsuma's vs a full team of Hannovers........now that would be fun and engaging

I'd like to see teams of 20 v 20. Or where every player gets to pick two or three ships before hand, perhaps each one higher tier.) 

But I find these super BBs pretty silly. Good for farming though. 

[WOLFG]
Members
34,348 posts
10,587 battles
12 hours ago, Zaydin said:

Grand battles didn't feel that grand.

Play a DD lol....

[CAAT]
Members
2,245 posts
5,159 battles
15 hours ago, Acme1970 said:

That's interesting, it never even occurred to me to put any skills into secondaries

That's because secondaries accuracy thanks to the Skills Rebork is trashed. But yes, on Hannover, when you have a target in-range, and your adjustment firing skill goes off...it really is amazing! I almost wish a consumable form of that skill was available for battleships. It'll replace the spotter/fighter, so you have to compromise. Do you want more main battery range or better secondaries for a short time? More options are good!

• Cool 1

[NYAAR]
Members
2,918 posts
15,587 battles

how about a true free for all?

One mode where balance and tiers are thrown out the window. (but maybe we hold onto limiting the number of ship types).

Could be a team of T2 to T10 ships vs the same.  Same stat-less tracking as Grand battles.

could be interesting

[WOLFG]
Members
151 posts
11,929 battles
On 7/2/2021 at 10:20 PM, TheArc said:

I'd like to see teams of 20 v 20. Or where every player gets to pick two or three ships before hand, perhaps each one higher tier.) 

But I find these super BBs pretty silly. Good for farming though. 

20 v 20 (or 16 v 16) of only BBs would be interesting. Maybe 4 supers and 12 regular   BB per side.

On Ocean it would be like Jutland: the next generation.