You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
USMC_FMF

Submarine Update!

77 comments in this topic

[CLUMP]
Members
397 posts

WG has made some changes after the last sub test:

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/169

1. Subs can recharge battery when surfaced again.
  2. Sonar Ping speed increased.
  3. Dynamic reticle for leading targets.
  4. Increased diving speed.
  5. Reduced detection range.
    1. Subs will be easier to hit while being harder to spot at periscope depth.
  6. Depth charges will sink slower so you can evade them.
  7. Some ships will not have ASW Planes, Depth Charges, or other ASW tools.
  8. Matchmaking will not be increased. 
    1. Destroyers AND Subs will be limited to 5 per side.
  9. Subs will be added in 10.7 to ranked at first. 
    1. They will be here for 11 weeks. 
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

Members
1,120 posts

they can stick their opening strategy up their afts...

they should have them in clan battles or grand battles ..

or a mode of their own ..

no reason to put their mess in ranks 

Edited by arch4random
no reason
  • Cool 2

Members
618 posts
3,383 battles

Wait, so subs and DDs will share a 5-boat max? It seems odd that when the queue gives you more subs, it has to decrease its main predator, the DD. Or vice-versa. Unless cruisers are now really good sub hunters.

[CLUMP]
Members
397 posts
8 minutes ago, Whiskey_Rebel said:

Wait, so subs and DDs will share a 5-boat max? It seems odd that when the queue gives you more subs, it has to decrease its main predator, the DD. Or vice-versa. Unless cruisers are now really good sub hunters.

A couple of things to think about on this:

1. Not all ships have ASW weapons. Just like not all ships do well on AA. (So now you have to choose which toolset you want on multiple levels).
    1. I know a couple popular RU ships had zero ASW tools in the last test.
  2. Subs have been buffed to better target DDs and CL/CAs.
    1. One of the most fun things in testing was blind killing cruisers and destroyers on the way into the cap. The ping mechanic did not need visual, and I often fired torpedoes through the cap and spammed the ping. This would get hits on invisible ships and the torps would then rail them. Torpedoes after the last test have been buffed to fight DDs and Cruisers so this will be even more effective now. Ping and Torp range on the Galao was 14km for reference. 
Edited by USMC_FMF

[WPORT]
Members
10,919 posts
15,412 battles

The official topic for feedback, started by Hapa_Fodder.

Members
618 posts
3,383 battles

That's not exactly my point. Unless DDs are no longer the primary sub hunters, then making DDs and subs share a 5-boat cap means that making room for (say) 4 subs means there can be no more than 1 DD. So for non-subs, it sucks twice - there are more subs in the water AND fewer sub hunters.

[CLUMP]
Members
397 posts
2 minutes ago, Whiskey_Rebel said:

That's not exactly my point. Unless DDs are no longer the primary sub hunters, then making DDs and subs share a 5-boat cap means that making room for (say) 4 subs means there can be no more than 1 DD. So for non-subs, it sucks twice - there are more subs in the water AND fewer sub hunters.

You have other subs to hunt them, so its fine. Just like "the DDs that win their fights change the match" the "subs that win their fights will change the match". 

• Haha 1

[PVE]
Members
7,464 posts
5 minutes ago, USMC_FMF said:

Not all ships have ASW weapons. Just like not all ships do well on AA.

The problem with this statement is that all ship have guns to shoot at subs.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
8,961 posts
6,663 battles

:Smile_sad: ping is a go... No dumbfire viable option... :fish_palm:

• Thanks 2

[WOLFG]
Members
13,256 posts
12,507 battles
4 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

The problem with this statement is that all ship have guns to shoot at subs.

They are adding them to coop too.

[PVE]
Members
7,464 posts
1 minute ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Yeah I saw that. Should be fun times...

[WOLFG]
Members
13,256 posts
12,507 battles
6 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Yeah I saw that. Should be fun times...

If they are like CVs, they will be free Horse Dorves.

But being able to torp a slow BB following you around like a puppy might be interesting.

Edit:  How are players in coop (and ranked) going to acquire these new fangled devices.

Edited by DrHolmes52

[NMKJT]
Members
3,324 posts
8,518 battles
56 minutes ago, USMC_FMF said:

Matchmaking will not be increased. 

Good. 15 v 15 (or whatever) would be disgusting.

• Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
7,464 posts
2 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

If they are like CVs, they will be free Horse Dorves.

But being able to torp a slow BB following you around like a puppy might be interesting.

God only knows how the bot subs will behave, will they suicide like bot DDs?  I can see them diving, coming straight in and firing torps with perfect pings on whatever is closest.  I'm predicting a sh@tshow.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
13,256 posts
12,507 battles
1 minute ago, Slimeball91 said:

God only knows how the bot subs will behave, will they suicide like bot DDs?  I can see them diving, coming straight in and firing torps with perfect pings on whatever is closest.  I'm predicting a sh@tshow.

Yeah, and resurfacing right afterwards to die in a hail of gunfire.

Will red and green bot subs just ram each other?

[PVE]
Members
7,464 posts
Just now, DrHolmes52 said:

Will red and green bot subs just ram each other?

That probably depends on the spawns, if they spawn out far enough maybe with ram each other.  They might also be too slow to meet in the middle before something engages them. 

[WOLFG]
Members
13,256 posts
12,507 battles
2 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

That probably depends on the spawns, if they spawn out far enough maybe with ram each other.  They might also be too slow to meet in the middle before something engages them. 

Yeah, this is going to be special.  I'm looking forward to it in a sick way.

[FOXY]
Members
2,564 posts
7,685 battles
2 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I was honestly hoping theyd increase coop to 12. Having up to 5 of a 9 man team be dds is already a snooze fest. 

Edited by Princess_Daystar

[SALVO]
Members
8,961 posts
6,663 battles

We want the gameplay difference between subs and destroyers to be more pronounced, so submarines' detectability at periscope and operational depths will be reduced. Surface ships will be detected by submarines from the same range as from planes. Therefore, reconnaissance will not be the main task for subs.

Ok, this might need a translation check... Does this mean a Sub won't be able to spot a DD but at its AA detection value? A Sub will spot DDs only at 2-3 km range? I can't be reading this right, it is unbearably stupid. Please explain.

[NONE]
Members
4,016 posts
12,354 battles
37 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Well, at least 10.7 gives me a firm uninstall date. :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 4

[PVE]
Members
7,464 posts
1 minute ago, ArIskandir said:

Ok, this might need a translation check... Does this mean a Sub won't be able to spot a DD but at its AA detection value? A Sub will spot DDs only at 2-3 km range? I can't be reading this right, it is unbearably stupid. Please explain.

I 'd guess it would be air detection range.  If it were AA range then all ships would spotted around the same distance.

13 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I'm not too excited.  I play a lot of DDs in co-op.  I'm thinking subs will probably ruin the DD strategy in co-op.  We'll see.  At least we now know the reason for the change to bots dodging torps.      

[-HUGS]
Members
216 posts
6,539 battles
49 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

We want the gameplay difference between subs and destroyers to be more pronounced, so submarines' detectability at periscope and operational depths will be reduced. Surface ships will be detected by submarines from the same range as from planes. Therefore, reconnaissance will not be the main task for subs.

Indeed. It doesn't sound right.

The thing is that subs are also supposed to get easier  to hit a periscope depth. If they get the same spotting capability as with operational depth, what's the point of using periscope then? Why expose your ship? I don't get it.

Periscope should in theory provide a benefit to spotting, while exposing your sub for damage and increased detection radius, both from the wake and possibly radar. (although historically, I believe this wasn't possible in the WW2 area). If the spotting advantage is too great, reduce the spotting capability by reducing the field of view of the periscope maybe?  Making it completely useless should be the last resort....

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,863 posts

Way to go weegee. Stick the subs into ranked.

Their passion and capacity to royally eff things up has no bounds.

[SALVO]
Members
8,961 posts
6,663 battles
29 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I 'd guess it would be air detection range.  If it were AA range then all ships would spotted around the same distance.

I kinda muddled the pot with the AA reference, what I mean is:

DDs will be detected at 2-3 km

Cruisers will be detected at 6-7 km

BBs will be detected at 9+ km.

I actually like the reduced range of detection for BBs, there´s no need for them to be spotted farther than their air detection value. Otoh, detecting Cruisers at only 6-7 km is really too much as it leaves the sub well within retaliation range from not only stealth Radar but also Stealth hydro, how are you supposed to escape from a CL pushing you with hydro up at 5-6 kms? you'll be forced to dive and then lose visibility of it while the chaser keeps the advantage on speed and visibility meanwhile depleting your diving time at an increased rate and leaving you exposed to air drops. DDs detected at 2-3 km is just so ridiculous I don't think any commentary is needed.

This automatically sets Sub game play behind the skirmisher DD line. They will play a Cruiser damage farming role without adding any utility to the team, they will be an equivalent of an angry smoke spam but now just invisible and with guided ordinance

• Cool 1