Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Need more notification about the base getting capped

34 comments in this topic

[G-O-W]
Members
1,099 posts
3,207 battles

This game seems to give no real notification other than a brief message that the main objective (ie. the teams base) is getting capped. Other games alarms and constant notifications are displayed. 

My last game despite having controlled the game my team lost as a enemy DD went all the way around the outside and capped. I was in a close quarters battle and a lot of action was happening but I was aware and tried to inform my team that the base was in danger but the closest DD (a Skane who decided the base idea was to go for their cap instead) never noticed.. Been in the insanely slow New Mexico I had zero chance of getting back and doing anything , although I comically tried). Only at the last second did my team notice and the usual 'ah dam didn't notice! or 'what a noob team' comments started. Kept thinking if the announcer could give voice status updated like '50 seconds until base is captured' or 'Cap in danger!' alarms the slower witted players might notice and attempt to do something. You get updates like if you're the last boat left but that's about it..

Just a rant post as we had this game in the bag but lost due to (IMO) the team not paying attention as there is just not enough warning. Just think this game rely to much on people looking at the cap marker at the top, and far too many people on random battle pay no attention. 

• Cool 3
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 3

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,233 posts
4,348 battles

Cap markers on top

Audible warning alarm that grows in intensity as cap progresses

Cap flipping on minimap

distinct lack of a DD/last known position suspiciously close to cap

I think there's an announcement made both audibly and printed when the capping process starts.

Short of a flashing message in 60pt font that says "YOUR BASE IS BEING CAPPED IDIOT" I don't think there's much more to be done. We're all fully aware of how oblivious random players can be, if you're at all paying attention to anything besides what you're actively shooting at you're going to notice the base flipping.

Let me put it this way, the guy who smokes up in a minotaur in front of two spotted radar cruisers isn't going to notice (or care) about the base being capped just because there's a bit more text on screen (what even is that, stupid WG putting things in the way of what I'm trying to shoot in permanent binocular mode).

You can blame WG for a lot of things but you can't blame them for the average player.

• Cool 5
  • Haha 3

[ALLY]
Members
422 posts
21,910 battles

Cutter,

Not to be mean, but I have been in far too many games like this.  I announce in chat multiple times until a couple of the players ignoring the cap state "STFU".  Even if you had a louder warning, they would just mute it on their end because they do not care about winning.  I have said it before, a lot of players just want to go PEW PEW and do not really care if the team wins or loses.  Sorry to be negative in response.  Others sometimes are nicer and tell me to play the way I want while letting them play the way they want.

I have actually had another player tell everyone to report me (including the other team) when I was securing the win by capping their cap (which we won) because I was not shooting and staying dark while doing it so they could not re-set the cap.  Of course he felt that I should have been shooting the whole time to help him instead of securing the win.

That is the state of the player base right now.  You have a lot that know how to play and want to win, but you have a lot that do not know how to play or really care if they win too.

C130 signing out

[OIL-1]
Members
1,905 posts
15 minutes ago, Hercules_C130 said:

they do not care about winning.

Yep. In the tank game, it was common for your own teammates to shoot you to try to stop you from capping/winning.

[46856]
Members
2,252 posts
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

YOUR BASE IS BEING CAPPED IDIOT"

probably what's needed in current randoms

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,868 posts

In another online game instant and very big warnings about a flag capture (Base capping) led to a C4 block being remote detonated killing as many as 20 in that room waiting on caps. they decided to postpone and time shift the particular warning sequence. Especially after people drove a vehicle hopped out at edge and the vehicle absorbed the blast. Essentially exploits.

You are in possession of information that will decide defeat for your team that does nothing or is way out of position. Oh well. Thats the way the cookie crumbles.

The one thing the devs wont do is program the game to rebuke the entire team, thats you full of non functioning droids. While it bends over backwards to tell all of you the obvious, yer losing.

Now if you were aware there is a fast DD working around to get that far base knowing the BB is too slow to catch him and you are eyeballs to here in close combat etc that team has already won. Just a matter of formalizing it. One time years ago I prevented 4 enemies from capping my base with split fire applied to each one in turn running out their clock while bouncing back and forth near a island at their cap to win. None of them were willing to come out of there to try and sink me.

It reminds me of a scene from Stripes where Sgt Hulka demands who is going to come up there and knock him off?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjj4a3zB1ag

Edited by xHeavy

Beta Testers
237 posts
12,285 battles

Thanks for verifying my thoughts about the mental quality of the player base.

[G-O-W]
Members
1,099 posts
3,207 battles
3 hours ago, Hercules_C130 said:

Cutter,

Not to be mean, but I have been in far too many games like this.  I announce in chat multiple times until a couple of the players ignoring the cap state "STFU".  Even if you had a louder warning, they would just mute it on their end because they do not care about winning.  I have said it before, a lot of players just want to go PEW PEW and do not really care if the team wins or loses.  Sorry to be negative in response.  Others sometimes are nicer and tell me to play the way I want while letting them play the way they want.

I have actually had another player tell everyone to report me (including the other team) when I was securing the win by capping their cap (which we won) because I was not shooting and staying dark while doing it so they could not re-set the cap.  Of course he felt that I should have been shooting the whole time to help him instead of securing the win.

That is the state of the player base right now.  You have a lot that know how to play and want to win, but you have a lot that do not know how to play or really care if they win too.

C130 signing out

Well I notice a growing element of the player base has gone completely Yolo mode lately. Sailing full speed at the enemy, dying, going back to their harbour and grabbing another boat. 

A game last week made me question how some people even function at a basic cognitive level.

I'm in my Skane, teammate in a Mahan, we are both capping the enemy flag, the 2 enemy ships have started capping ours but we are comfortably ahead, then while cruising around the cap I spot the enemy teams AFK at spawn North Carolina.

The Mahan suddenly goes full speed ahead at the AFK ship, leaves the [edited]cap with 15 seconds to go, fires off his Torps at the stationary ship, meanwhile the enemy have taken the cap and won by a fraction of a second....

• Cool 1

[BINGO]
[BINGO]
Members
111 posts
6,994 battles
1 hour ago, LunchCutter said:

Well I notice a growing element of the player base has gone completely Yolo mode lately. Sailing full speed at the enemy, dying, going back to their harbour and grabbing another boat. 

A game last week made me question how some people even function at a basic cognitive level.

I'm in my Skane, teammate in a Mahan, we are both capping the enemy flag, the 2 enemy ships have started capping ours but we are comfortably ahead, then while cruising around the cap I spot the enemy teams AFK at spawn North Carolina.

The Mahan suddenly goes full speed ahead at the AFK ship, leaves the [edited]cap with 15 seconds to go, fires off his Torps at the stationary ship, meanwhile the enemy have taken the cap and won by a fraction of a second....

The average win rate is 48% for just that reason.  For whatever reason, most of this game's player decided that having fun, and being good at the game/winning rounds are mutually exclusive.

I am honestly starting to believe that the people only care about sinking ships should stick to co-op.

It's a team game where rewards are determined by winning or losing, so not at least attempting to have a base level of skill, or even situational awareness, is harming your team.

Sure, everyone goofs once in awhile, or are new players, but the problem you identified are those people with thousands of games played who make no effort in improving because they are having fun doing what they're doing.

Being bad at the game is fine, not everyone can devote hours a day to it. But people can still be bad and be an asset for their team just by watching the map.

Sorry for the rant, this is a subject myself and many others have brought up before.

TL:DR the game gives people no reason to improve because it doesn't punish them for not doing so or losing more than they win.

• Cool 1

[REKTD]
Members
669 posts
11,594 battles

In my opinion this game needs a different set of game modes. Stats should matter only in Ranked. Randoms have far too big a range in skill variance to have effective team play, yet since stats are tracked people get toxic. If there was a game mode that let the “pew-pew” people go and spend hours in their favorite ship, with respawns, blasting away, they would be happier there and there would be a touch less toxicity in Ranked.

• Cool 1

[BIG_E]
Members
211 posts
3,416 battles

If people can just look at the minimap for once, they would figure out the the base is being capped by a destroyer since either it hasn't being spotted or that destroyer hasn't been spotted in a while. the minimap isn't there to look pretty you know. i'm sorry if i sound salty, i just can't understand if they take a look at the minimap once in a while.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,338 posts
10,584 battles
9 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Just think this game rely to much on people looking at the cap marker at the top, and far too many people on random battle pay no attention. 

I don't think it's so much the cap marker at the top the game relies on, but the minimap. Far too many people in Randoms definitely don't pay attention to that.

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,868 posts

The Yolo strategy is a result of a stingy "Rewards" that are given to you at the end of battle. 80 fxp and a couple of credits enough to pay the service cost and then some.

My minimum daily goal is 10,000 FXP However with 85 ships on port and a 200% xp event coming this weekend its going to be very intense processing all of the ships for the big boost in FXP.

Randoms get interesting though. I am seeing the new dutch warships in battle as of this week and speciically stay 15km from them so I dont get deleted with the crappy airstirke [edited] add on they use. Just need to have enough main guns to reach out and sink them. They are squishy enough.

[WOLFG]
Members
13,265 posts
12,507 battles
5 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

A brass band wouldn't have kept that Mahan in the cap.

Members
1,579 posts
2,011 battles
10 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Just think this game rely to much on people looking at the cap marker at the top, and far too many people on random battle pay no attention. 

Anyone too foolish to win doesn't deserve to win.

Edited by black_hull4
second thoughts

[CNO]
Members
6,738 posts
20,178 battles

This game requires mini-map awareness.   Not just for caps, but for AWARENESS in general.  For force dispositions.  Last locations.  Detection/range rings.  Terrain avoidance.  yada yada.  

With time and experience, one will even develop what I call the subconscious indication of a problem.  The flipping of the cap marker from rectangle to diamond, both at the top of the screen as well as the minimap.  It does take some experience training the mind (over many many games), but over time, even if I'm heads down in a major intense engagement...that little flip in my peripheral vision...will trigger something in my consciousness that makes me notice  "Hey, they're capping".

And that's just the obvious.  It's important to keep track of enemy ships, and in particular, their DDs.  In many games over the years we'll be winning but a red DD is unaccounted for and we have no cap defenders.  Making the decision to head toward the cap "just in case" is often critical to arriving on time to stop the cap versus arriving too late to a loss.

Control clicking the base will sometimes help jog the vision of team members on their minimap that something is amiss.

After all is said, sometimes every possible warning is ignored..and a team simply allows a cap loss occur.  It happens.

• Cool 1

Members
389 posts
7 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

... a growing element of the player base has gone completely Yolo mode lately. Sailing full speed at the enemy, dying...

They learn this behavior from the bots in co-op.

[G-O-W]
Members
1,099 posts
3,207 battles
4 hours ago, Ziggy_Sprague said:

They learn this behavior from the bots in co-op.

At least bots can dodge Torps..

• Haha 1

Members
6,329 posts

Nah, the ones just yoloing out there are the ones who just want to push to the next ship, and have figured out that at their level of play, they can make more bxp losing in a 5-min yolo in Random, especially when they get carried sometimes, than competing with everyone else in Co-Op for the kills, especially when Co-Op gets full of 5-dd teams torp harvesting before the BBs can even get in range for more than chip damage.

There are always min-maxers out there, but not all of them will min-max in the same way...

I remember in late BC, several PvPers figured out that quick losses in BGs worked out to more honor over time, so, they started *intentionally* losing, because it was faster honor over time.

EDIT: Not defending the behavior, but facts are facts.

Edited by Kesh_Lives

[UNHLY]
Members
5,201 posts
14,568 battles
On 7/1/2021 at 11:24 AM, Skpstr said:

I don't think it's so much the cap marker at the top the game relies on, but the minimap. Far too many people in Randoms definitely don't pay attention to that.

What minimap?

• Funny 1
  • Haha 1

[CLUMP]
Members
2,049 posts
2,424 battles

Many players in the game don't care about caps much which is a problem :Smile_sceptic:

[HINON]
Members
14,318 posts
On 7/1/2021 at 2:13 AM, AJTP89 said:

"YOUR BASE IS BEING CAPPED IDIOT"

We need a mod for this. :cap_book:

[ARGSY]
Members
25,122 posts
19,133 battles
On 7/1/2021 at 3:23 AM, LunchCutter said:

This game seems to give no real notification other than a brief message that the main objective (ie. the teams base) is getting capped. Other games alarms and constant notifications are displayed. 

If the entire team fails to notice this, or fails to notice repeated warnings in battle chat from the people who have noticed, perhaps that team deserves to lose.

[G-O-W]
Members
1,099 posts
3,207 battles

Bump this thread, still not enough warnings. If you're engrossed in a fight with another ship like I was (playing hide and seek with a Z23) you don't notice the tiny flag at the top getting invaded by red. Only noticed when it was 75% capped when the announcer said we're gonna lose (was a 1 sided crappy game anyway).

Just seems silly that there is no vocal communication. Every action game in the last 25 years has had better warnings about the base or flag been capped. Even CTF Quake back in 1996 had a commentator letting you know the cap was in danger. 

shot-21.07.27_14.15.31-0103.jpg

• Cool 1

[TIMT]
Members
1,780 posts
7 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

Bump this thread, still not enough warnings. If you're engrossed in a fight with another ship like I was (playing hide and seek with a Z23) you don't notice the tiny flag at the top getting invaded by red. Only noticed when it was 75% capped when the announcer said we're gonna lose (was a 1 sided crappy game anyway). 

Just seems silly that there is no vocal communication. Every action game in the last 25 years has had better warnings about the base or flag been capped. Even CTF Quake back in 1996 had a commentator letting you know the cap was in danger. 

Let me recap this:

• You didn't notice the base was capped for about 60s, judging by the screenshot because you played "hide and see" with another DD.
  • During this hide and seek, you did not look at the minimap (the thing in the lower right corner and noticed the suspicious relationship between the absence of friendly ships from and proximity of last-spotted red ships to your cap
  • You did not notice the audible warning (the sirens thingy) about your based being capped
  • You did not look at the scores or noticed the cap indicators flip from squares to rhombus shaped things
  • You did notice it when the Announcer told it to you.

Now you are calling for an audible warning, which is already in the game.

I mean, yes I have also potatoed things like this and thrown a game or two because of that. But that was decidedly on me for not paying attention. But this seems you just didn't pay enough attention to the bases in a capture-the-base game.

Sign in to follow this