You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

I just got the free Colorado

37 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
6,735 posts
20,793 battles

And in 2 games have determined that they are THE worst ships to bring to coop. Too damn slow. Touch the rudder and you are doing 15-16kts. Seems there is always an island between you and anything you want to shoot and that ship will be sunk before you can ever lay guns on it. Guns aren't that great either when you finally find a target to shoot at, Sinop is MUCH better.

Not sure if it is better in Randoms where it isn't always a good idea to race into battle but in coop it sucks.

Why did WG make their out of the box speed so slow? You can eventually upgrade it to 21 kts if you can stand to  play it that long. I can't

Edited by Sabot_100
  • Funny 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,233 posts
4,348 battles

There's a reason they're giving it away:Smile_teethhappy:

And 21knts isn't much of an improvement over 18. Yeah, it's not much fun in Coop. Randoms, well better hope you're not uptiered. The guns are pretty good though, and the heal is nice. But CO in 2021 probably isn't the best experience. And stock hulls are why FXP exists.

But yes, Sinop is just flat out better.

[WOLF1]
Members
1,151 posts
2,228 battles
2 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Not sure if it is better in Randoms where it isn't always a good idea to race into battle but in coop it sucks.

I seem to do very well in Colorado. I have fought off an entire flank in Colorado alone, multiple times. I even got my secondary guns to kill a DD at close range while dodging its torps.

The armor layout is great, coupled with the American heal it can tank a lot of damage. It has one of the tightest turn radius at its tier, and slow rudder shift is not very noticeable. Overextending is not an issue due to the bad speed, and you will always be the rearguard of a collapsing flank, leading to pretty insane accomplishments in holding the flank.

I once held off the entire enemy team (7 ships: three BBs, two cruisers, 2 DDs). Killed both DDs, one BB, almost two cruisers, held off the enemy points from getting to 1000 many times.

All in all, it shines when the fight it brought to it, rather then having to go to the fight

• Thanks 2

[CO-OP]
Members
3,805 posts
31,131 battles

Colorado isn't horrible, but it certainly isn't a gem either.  When they announced the US BB split, I broke out the CO and was grinded out over 200K XP figuring to get the Kansas when she came out (didn't anticipate getting her in the early release missions.)  During the grind, I found that a lot of the time she was underperforming, but once every 10 games or so she became a Death Star (fortunately she has decent AA, so no fighter was going to get a luck salvo in and detonate her.)  

In random games, she probably fares better since speed is not a high priority to doing well (situational awareness, and being able to anticipate the enemy are much more important in randoms.)  

Edited by HamptonRoads

[RLGN]
Members
16,603 posts
29,022 battles

Play my Colorado in Co-op without hesitation. All about knowing where to go, understanding you need to kill bot DDs FIRST, then worry about farming later, and being willing to take risks.

Yes, I’m set up to brawl in it.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
6,570 posts
7,187 battles

Ranked with the smaller maps and BBs overmatching themselves is probably the besr environment for Colorado currently.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,662 posts
24,721 battles

Got mine the other day.

1. Sold it with all modules for 4 million credits.
  2. Spent 450k of those credits to get 45k ECXP.

Very happy with those decisions!

• Cool 1

[WOLFX]
Members
96 posts
19,285 battles

Bought it back for 5 earned 9 when I got it sold it for 2.5 nothing against Colorado I used to do well with it but I have Florida and California.

[CUDA]
Members
568 posts
9,209 battles

The curse of real ships is that reality forces limits on the WOWs model performance. WW1-era US battleships were slow; they set a battleline speed of 21 kts and battleships weren't built to exceed that significantly until the North Carolina class in WW2. WG can be flexible with the stats of planned, incomplete and made-up ships so they tend to perform a little better. 

Slow battleships in Coop have a definite handicap, but charge ahead from the start, play the cap in front of you, turn towards the middle not the edge and you can do some damage.

[CVA16]
Members
6,735 posts
20,793 battles
9 hours ago, Boomer625 said:

All in all, it shines when the fight it brought to it, rather then having to go to the fight

So you have to depend on your team losing on your flank to shine. If your team is pushing on your flank you contribute little and you can't really flex to the other flank to help vs the red push. 

I realize I am using a ship with none of the upgrades but I'm not sure it is worth the grind to get them. It would be a GRIND as it  isn't fun to play as is and may not be that may never get much better.

Edited by Sabot_100

[CVA16]
Members
6,735 posts
20,793 battles
53 minutes ago, Swervenkill said:

WW1-era US battleships were slow; they set a battleline speed of 21 kts

I assumed they would start out as 21kt ships, Not need to upgrade to get there.

If nothing else, WG should have given them that magical Brit speed retention so using the rudder was not so punitive.

[CLUMP]
Members
2,051 posts
2,424 battles

How do I get this free colorado? :Smile_hiding: Edit nvm too much work to get Colorado for free :Smile_sceptic:

Edited by LastRemnant
  • Haha 1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,491 posts
25,943 battles

I bought the Colorado right before I got the free one.  Then I got the 9 million credits for the duplicate.  Then sold the original I had bought for 5 million.

That ship is just painfully too slow for me.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
6,735 posts
20,793 battles
1 hour ago, kyesac said:

That ship is just painfully too slow for me.

Not sure why WG decided to nerf the already slow actual speed  so that you have to grind for the module that brings it up to the IRL speed. I realize the explanation is that it is US not Russian. If the US had given one to the Soviets, that one would do  at least 22+ kts out of the box.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,700 posts
26,591 battles

USN Standard BBs used to retain their speed well in turns before the split.  So maneuvering didn't turn them into stationary islands.  But with the arrival of Kansas, Vermont, MinneSLOWta, the prior Standard BBs got hit with a bat to the teeth by losing their speed in turns.

[000]
[000]
Members
46 posts
5,407 battles

She does well in Narai, speed isn't really a problem there.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
25,140 posts
19,146 battles
On 7/1/2021 at 4:54 AM, Khafni said:

Got mine the other day.

1. Sold it with all modules for 4 million credits.
  2. Spent 450k of those credits to get 45k ECXP.

Very happy with those decisions!

Yeah, but you are well known for running a very premium-heavy fleet. 

On 7/1/2021 at 2:12 AM, Estimated_Prophet said:

Play my Colorado in Co-op without hesitation. All about knowing where to go, understanding you need to kill bot DDs FIRST, then worry about farming later, and being willing to take risks.

Yes, I’m set up to brawl in it.

This. I've had some suck games, but I've also had co-op battles where I pull down over 100K damage. I'm going all out to grab the permacamo because that will at least enable me to spam her while saving a bit on the post-battle costs and not having to burn a one-shot every time I take her out. I don't particularly like burning one-shot camos on ships I've already ground through unless they're home to a 19 or 21 pointer.

22 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

So you have to depend on your team losing on your flank to shine. If your team is pushing on your flank you contribute little and you can't really flex to the other flank to help vs the red push. 

I realize I am using a ship with none of the upgrades but I'm not sure it is worth the grind to get them. It would be a GRIND as it  isn't fun to play as is and may not be that may never get much better.

I'd have thought they'd give her to you with all the modules researched. I can't tell because I've already ground past mine and never reset the line, so they're all listed as unlocked for me.

[PVE]
Members
7,464 posts
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'd have thought they'd give her to you with all the modules researched. I can't tell because I've already ground past mine and never reset the line, so they're all listed as unlocked for me.

I can confirm, the modules are all unlocked.  But you do need to remember to equip them.

[ARGSY]
Members
25,140 posts
19,146 battles
19 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I can confirm, the modules are all unlocked.  But you do need to remember to equip them.

Heh. I made that mistake when I got Normandie as an earlybird release back in 2018!

I only discovered my omission AFTER unlocking the Lyon. :fish_palm:

[CVA16]
Members
6,735 posts
20,793 battles
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Unfortunately, no. The ship never gets fast but the base speed is painful. Several other aspects are also bad but will need separate modules to upgrade those

[WOLFG]
Members
13,270 posts
12,537 battles
3 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

I own it, but have never played it (I got the california right before the rework and needed a tech tree ship for it (with free retrain).

So am I going to get 9mil credits and no modules?

[ARGSY]
Members
25,140 posts
19,146 battles
3 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

26 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Unfortunately, no. The ship never gets fast but the base speed is painful. Several other aspects are also bad but will need separate modules to upgrade those

Assuming that both of you either had her stock after an RB reset or never previously owned her before picking her up in this event, you cannot both be right.

[CVA16]
Members
6,735 posts
20,793 battles
7 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Assuming that both of you either had her stock after an RB reset or never previously owned her before picking her up in this event, you cannot both be right.

I may have to look again. It appeared to be the standard upgrades where you have to earn the XP then pick what you want, then earn more XP, rinse and repeat,  I did 't actually try just clicking on them. 

Have to  check when I log in this evening.

EDIT: Checked and they were free. I'm now screaming along at 21kts unless I look at the rudder. The follow on BB had a price.

Edited by Sabot_100