SteffisCute

I bought a piece of the Tirpitz!

28 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
Members
558 posts

There is a company in Norway that salvaged a bunch of the Tirpitz's armor and knives were made out of it!

So I decided to buy one. I already own some coal from Titanic, and we have a piece of the Berlin Wall mounted on some teak in the living room.

I can't wait to get this! When I do I may make an "opening the box video" and post it here!

Check it out this is awesome:

Tirpitz knife from Boker

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
6,559 posts
7,157 battles

Just keep in mind that the Berlin wall pieces come from a single producer, and they are all falsely sprayed to attract attention. The cement itself is genuine as he seems to have bought lots of the segments.

As for the Tirpitz knives, the price aside from the history and craft is because of the metal itself. If I remember correctly the steel of sunken ships before 1945 is pretty valuable as it's "low background", meaning it has no radiation and can be used on sensors and medical equipment.

Edited by warheart1992

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,467 posts
4,774 battles
3 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

the metal itself. If I remember correctly the steel of sunken ships before 1945 is pretty valuable as it's "low background", meaning it has no radiation and can be used on sensors and medical equipment.

I know armor plate is highly processed. Do you think that the swirl patterns are from that process, or has something else been done?

Either way, it's a gorgeous blade that I would be proud to own.

[KWF]
Members
6,559 posts
7,157 battles
6 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

I know armor plate is highly processed. Do you think that the swirl patterns are from that process, or has something else been done?

Either way, it's a gorgeous blade that I would be proud to own.

The swirl patterns are aesthetic additions, it's called "damascus steel". The original method hasn't been reproduced, and from what I know the current one is using different metal pieces to recreate the effect.

Look up here for more info. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damascus_steel

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,058 posts
22,259 battles
20 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

The swirl patterns are aesthetic additions, it's called "damascus steel".

It's erroneously called damascus steel when it's actually just pattern welded steel.

Looks awesome though. For that price you really have to be a fan of history and the story to get one of these.

[KWF]
Members
6,559 posts
7,157 battles
3 minutes ago, Lert said:

It's erroneously called damascus steel when it's actually just pattern welded steel.

Looks awesome though. For that price you really have to be a fan of history and the story to get one of these.

From what I understand it's the closest you can get to simulating the original effect. Still, agreed on the awesome part.  Not sure I would want to use the knife outside from showing it to friends. Kinda defeats the purpose in a way.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,058 posts
22,259 battles
1 minute ago, warheart1992 said:

Not sure I would want to use the knife outside from showing it to friends. Kinda defeats the purpose in a way.

Yeah, agreed. It's a decorative piece, not an every day use object.

[PUMA]
Members
1,207 posts
11,106 battles

Here are 2 real pieces of the Berlin Wall.

How do I know they are real?

I happened to be in Berlin when it happened and borrowed a Hammer from an enterprising local for 5 DM ( about $1.25 then). Hammering away I flew home with about a pound of pieces.

Customs was rather curious why I was importing concrete :-)

Over the years i gave away most of it and those two morsels are my leftovers from History :-)

Berlin_Wall.jpg

• Cool 4

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,158 posts
20,036 battles

Interesting story. Yes, If I had one of the knives it would be for display, show and tell only. As gun collectors say “a wall hanger”

[WOLF3]
Members
558 posts

The Berlin Wall pieces we have are real because my grandfather was there and personally chipped some chunks off. 

[LOVE]
[LOVE]
Members
118 posts
16,550 battles

Pretty sure most of the hull had been scrapped in the 50s, the biggest description you get for the wreck of Tirpitz is chunks of machinery and bits of the superstructure. I always wondered what is left, but I think most of these knives are usually things like anchor chains and loose bits that can be salvaged with out disturbing the bulk that is there. I don't picture a huge operation dredging up the scraps left over from the original breakers.

[GWG]
Members
7,729 posts
14,741 battles

All the 'expensive' steel alloys , brass, and precious metal have been salvaged off the Tirpitz through the 1950s.

All that's left is the interior structural scrap metal  laying in a tangled heap.

Suddenly, it's now a 'war grave' and off-limits.

Tirpitz - Google Maps

[WPORT]
Members
10,919 posts
15,412 battles
3 hours ago, SteffisCute said:

There is a company in Norway that salvaged a bunch of the Tirpitz's armor and knives were made out of it!

So I decided to buy one. I already own some coal from Titanic, and we have a piece of the Berlin Wall mounted on some teak in the living room.

I can't wait to get this! When I do I may make an "opening the box video" and post it here!

Check it out this is awesome:

Tirpitz knife from Boker

Congratulations.  Enjoy the history and the story of its' creation.

[V_V_V]
Members
1,151 posts
18,231 battles
4 hours ago, SteffisCute said:

So I decided to buy one.

Amazon lists them for $741.75 (currently 8 left).  My, how the price has inflated since they first came out.  That's a lot of coin for a LE Böker.  

Enjoy.

Edited by Charon2018
add text

[V_V_V]
Members
1,151 posts
18,231 battles
3 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

As gun collectors say “a wall hanger”

Knife collectors say "Safe Queen".

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,480 posts
17 minutes ago, Charon2018 said:

Knife collectors say "Safe Queen".

Some things increase in value. I've been interested in the history of firearms, gunsmithing, and shooting since I was a kid. Unfortunately, I could never afford more than one or two guns at a time so I'd sell one after I'd taken it apart several times and had become proficient shooting it to by another that I'd never shot before. I really wish that I still had some of the firearms that I sold or traded in for a couple hundred dollars back in the 70s and 80s because they are worth up to a thousand dollars each now.

Conversely, my Mom collected Hummel figurines, starting when she was over in Germany with Dad when he was in the Army. She always thought that they would be valuable family heirlooms worth a fortune. Unfortunately, so did half the other ladies of her generation, most of whom are gone. Now, estate sales are full of Hummels and all but a select few are worth many time less than the original purchase price. If you look on eBay, thousands are "selling" but very few are actually sold. None of the grand-kids even want them -- you literally can't give them away to the family.

The value of an antique or collectable depends a lot on the economy, what's "in style," and the number of the items that were produced, and the condition. Like the man said, "just because it's old doesn't mean it's valuable." Don't buy something with thoughts of it increasing value someday because it probably won't. By something that has utility or that you like to have around for your personal enjoyment.  

[WOLF3]
Members
558 posts

Its not about the monetary value to me, its the history and connection. Like that piece of coal from Titanic, I hold the display case and I can sort of feel "something"...like the coal is infused with the souls of all those people.

I have a trilobite fossil that's hundreds of millions of years old. WHen I hold it in my hand I feel that same feeling...like its hard to explain but you feel this sort of energy, knowing that the thing you are holding is older than your own species....older than anything currently living now...I can almost feel the energy of the Earth in it.

I dunno. Maybe I am weird, but its just something I feel. Its why I bought the knife, I want to feel the soul of the ship and its crew.

• Cool 1

[V_V_V]
Members
1,151 posts
18,231 battles
36 minutes ago, SteffisCute said:

Its why I bought the knife

Now it's yours to enjoy; I can empathize with your sentiments. 

There are many stories connected to that piece, and others as well.  Think of King Tutankhamun's two daggers (meteoric iron and gold)-what their history has been.  They fascinate me.

King_Tut_dagger_and_sheath.jpg.png

tutl43.jpg

[LOVE]
[LOVE]
Members
118 posts
16,550 battles
33 minutes ago, SteffisCute said:

I dunno. Maybe I am weird, but its just something I feel. Its why I bought the knife, I want to feel the soul of the ship and its crew.

If there weren't people like you there wouldn't be much of a market for it, I've actually thought about buying the knife back when they were going around for  $400 and displaying it along side my 1/350 Tirpitz when I finished it. I think they came in a nicer case then what they're advertising now, seem like it was a box with a liner, serial numbered to match. Instead I ended up investing in other things and my Tirpitz pretty much ended up shelved. Sometimes I think if I didn't spend a fortune on this game, I'd probably have one, oh well.

I have been look at this one artist who picks up pieces of debris from aircraft wrecks and displays them with a picture of the airplane, one of my favorites is from a B-17 named Naughty But Nice, she was one of the Pacific Tramps that survived Pearl Harbor only to be shot down in 43. Quite simply, I have a fetish for B-17s, you walk in my room there are about 10 models of them to greet you. So yeah, I'd love to have maybe that, and the fragment of Memphis Belle that he is selling.

And if anybody else is interested here is a link.

World War 2 Aviation Art & Historic Aircraft Relic Displays - Ron Cole

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,480 posts
1 hour ago, Fallschirmfuchs said:

I have a fetish for B-17s

I was driving through Boise a few years ago and looked to my left as I passed the the airport... just in time to see a B-17 on its final approach. That made me do a double take. Later, I found out that it was there for an air show.

[LOVE]
[LOVE]
Members
118 posts
16,550 battles
25 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I was driving through Boise a few years ago and looked to my left as I passed the the airport... just in time to see a B-17 on its final approach. That made me do a double take. Later, I found out that it was there for an air show.

Something magical about watching one fly over you, before Nino O Nine crashed they would occasionally visit during the Florida State Fair and do fly bys along with the B-24, B-25, and P-51, they'd take turns. I visited her multiple times before she crashed, it was depressing, she was my favorite out of all the airworthy B-17s. I've also had the chance to visit Liberty Belle before she burned up in a field, that felt like the start of a bad trend, but she's getting a second life so I've been keeping an eye on that along with the Desert Rat. The movie Memphis Belle and Texas Raider show up every once in a while but since the pandemic I haven't really seen them. I still have my Nine O Nine t-shirts, but it's like I avoid wearing them but have no desire to get rid of them.

The only aircraft that I have as much fascination for is the C-47 That's All Brother, donated some money back during her restoration drive, and B-52s, my grandpa flew them in Nam and bombed the doodoo out of Cambodia. I could probably one day just settle for a 1/32 B-17 and a dozen1/72 B-52s, yeah...

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,480 posts
4 hours ago, Fallschirmfuchs said:

The only aircraft that I have as much fascination for is the C-47

I saw a DC-3 a few years back at a tiny local airport that's mainly used by crop dusters, which is a testament to just how short of runway it, and it's military version the C-47, can use. My cousin was a crew chief on C-47s in the European theater during WWII. He said that they got shot at a lot but never were shot down. He told me once, and there was no reason not to believe him, that he was on one of the first US airplanes to land in Berlin after the Soviets took it. I just realized that I'm almost the same age he was when he died. Man, when did I get so old? 

[WOLF3]
Members
558 posts

I sat in a Sopwith Camel at an airshow once, Not a replica, a real one. Pretty cool though I heard they always pull to the right because of the engine torque or something

[LOVE]
[LOVE]
Members
118 posts
16,550 battles
2 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I saw a DC-3 a few years back at a tiny local airport that's mainly used by crop dusters, which is a testament to just how short of runway it, and it's military version the C-47, can use. My cousin was a crew chief on C-47s in the European theater during WWII. He said that they got shot at a lot but never were shot down. He told me once, and there was no reason not to believe him, that he was on one of the first US airplanes to land in Berlin after the Soviets took it. I just realized that I'm almost the same age he was when he died. Man, when did I get so old? 

My grandpa will be 90 in August, he was drafted towards the end of Korean War. They gave him 3 choices and an aptitude test, I forget what one of his choices were but the other two were a cook or a pilot. The farm boy from Kansas became a pilot and transferred to the United States Air Force. Between the wars he got a lot of time in other aircrafts, when he was station in MacDill AFB he was a co-pilot for the B-47, when he was in South Dakota it was B-52s, in Greece I think he flew C-47s, and at some point he worked on B-25s, he trained in the TB-29, T-33, and Texan. When he did his tours in Vietnam, his first tour was in a C-123 flying supplies, I asked him once what was his favorite aircraft to fly in and it was the C-123 even thou he was shot at often. He did his last 2 tours in the B-52 and spent the remainder of his career flying aircraft to the boneyard.

2 hours ago, SteffisCute said:

I sat in a Sopwith Camel at an airshow once, Not a replica, a real one. Pretty cool though I heard they always pull to the right because of the engine torque or something

Yep, that had a lot to due with the rotary engine, the propeller was stationary, the entire engine just spun on its mount. Now think about all that mass spinning at a speed to get you air born and you got yourself a hell of a torque. I think that is why a lot of nations started experimenting with tri-planes, reduced a lot of stress caused by the engine. A lot of replicas don't bother with the rotary, just to much danger involved.

[WOLF3]
Members
558 posts

Oh that is probably why they never started the engine! Because it wasn't a replica and they didn't want it to kill anyone!

Wow I was sitting in a death machine.....COOL!!!!!