You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ex_ossibus

I have some issues during play time !

25 comments in this topic

[702]
Members
12 posts
2,092 battles

I need something to clarify.  It happened few (annoyingly more than few)  times while playing that in some critical moments random  windows or applications pops up on my screen freezing the game. It takes 3 to 6 seconds to clear those and by the time i am back in game my ship is immediately destroyed. the apps or windows popping up are random and they are not opened in the background.

Any idea or explanation for this?

[AC1]
Members
246 posts
380 battles

The explanation is that you've got too much unnecessary crap installed on your PC.  I suggest wiping, going to a clean install, and disabling anything you don't need.  That might be a bit drastic, though.

• Cool 1

[WORX]
Members
14,124 posts
20,570 battles
8 minutes ago, ex_ossibus said:

I need something to clarify.  It happened few (annoyingly more than few)  times while playing that in some critical moments random  windows or applications pops up on my screen freezing the game. It takes 3 to 6 seconds to clear those and by the time i am back in game my ship is immediately destroyed. the apps or windows popping up are random and they are not opened in the background.

Can you clarify, is it a pop up?? Or is it a Notification?

[OIL-1]
Members
1,903 posts

Go thru all yer apps, go to settings, turn off notifications and auto-updates.
Then go to Task Manager to see what unnecessary programs you have running in the background,
and turn them off.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,864 posts

I use MSConfig within windows to eliminate or halt programs and services that hurt the game.

Essentially the computer is given one simple job, Turn off everything except the game and necessary things like the sound etc.

The windows menu key is removed or specifically disabled within the keyboard. My machine is sufficiently fast that if something did come up like a Security alert in my face well.. I alt tab, take care of it in a few moments and back in the game without too much fuss.

I also know that I can deal with real life things as someone at the door and be back in the game before end of map. As long I am back in before that time I will not be punished for leaving to deal with valid real world problems that is much more important and requires immediate attention than some video game or computer whatever. I had one expewrience a heart attack and was dead before he hit the floor like a tree near my place. I heard him over the headphones hit the ground. (Like a wet melon) left the game to try and help but assessed him to be deceased and call the Authority, coroner and EMT's as well as the Law to come out and secure the scene and make a ruling.

The game banned me for a time because I quit battle early. I could not be bothered to give a damn because that was the last day of some valued friend's life who died on his way to my place seeking some help while feeling pretty bad medically. Just how bad was not apparent until the Autospy revealed that the original widowmaker heart attack 4 weeks prior killed about 70% of his entire heart itself. He lived rather badly on whats left on no oxygen at all until it killed him again. This time for good.

If he died outside while I am in here busy playing warships. I would have a problem with that. Real life matters. The game does not.

And computers? Things will happen. And partly because most people do not spend sufficiently for adequately fast machines that will work as fast as they can think through a error message or some other interrupting that will get them destroyed in game.

Oh well. There is always the next game. For some there is no tomorrow.

One thing I detest in life more than anything is a crappy computer. Wife and I were down at the National Cemetary to arrange for our future graves and burial on their property in a particular section when we died later on in our life, the staff at the office of that Cemetery had a standard Dell workstation PC computer (This was year 2000... 21 years ago)

I timed that computer from screensaver to desktop 2 minutes and ten seconds. When she clicked our specific wordpad document containing the particulars on wife and I to open prior to printing for us it took the computer about 14 minutes or so to finish opening the document and have it up ready for whatever. To print took about 4 minutes more.

Something that would take me I think 10 seconds to open a wordpad something, run it off with the printer and hand it to someone is about a minute and change. Done. That Dell in there needed about a 25 minute total wait until she was able to give us that document off the printer.

Its not good to have crappy systems in important things for People who are dying to get it done while waiting on it too long. The computers we had in college were 300 meg CPU's which ran Linux perfectly like super computers but failed to complete a normal Windows 2000 install. To install that on that one took about 2 hours. Most of it waiting on the disc progress bar.

Tick tick tick tick. Enough of that. Go buy a good fast computer and be happy.

Edited by xHeavy

[702]
Members
12 posts
2,092 battles
5 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Can you clarify, is it a pop up?? Or is it a Notification?

no notification. Random pop up like browser page, or widows menu or email app, taskbar with calendar......

[702]
Members
12 posts
2,092 battles
5 hours ago, Lynx7386 said:

The explanation is that you've got too much unnecessary crap installed on your PC.  I suggest wiping, going to a clean install, and disabling anything you don't need.  That might be a bit drastic, though.

I have nothing installed but the basics of windows and office plus this game and it is the only game I play on pc the rest goes to Xbox.

[WORX]
Members
14,124 posts
20,570 battles
5 minutes ago, ex_ossibus said:

no notification. Random pop up like browser page, or widows menu or email app, taskbar with calendar......

You may have an affected PC... I would start with a pop-up blocker just to start...

[702]
Members
12 posts
2,092 battles
3 hours ago, xHeavy said:

I use MSConfig within windows to eliminate or halt programs and services that hurt the game.

Essentially the computer is given one simple job, Turn off everything except the game and necessary things like the sound etc.

The windows menu key is removed or specifically disabled within the keyboard. My machine is sufficiently fast that if something did come up like a Security alert in my face well.. I alt tab, take care of it in a few moments and back in the game without too much fuss.

I also know that I can deal with real life things as someone at the door and be back in the game before end of map. As long I am back in before that time I will not be punished for leaving to deal with valid real world problems that is much more important and requires immediate attention than some video game or computer whatever. I had one expewrience a heart attack and was dead before he hit the floor like a tree near my place. I heard him over the headphones hit the ground. (Like a wet melon) left the game to try and help but assessed him to be deceased and call the Authority, coroner and EMT's as well as the Law to come out and secure the scene and make a ruling.

The game banned me for a time because I quit battle early. I could not be bothered to give a damn because that was the last day of some valued friend's life who died on his way to my place seeking some help while feeling pretty bad medically. Just how bad was not apparent until the Autospy revealed that the original widowmaker heart attack 4 weeks prior killed about 70% of his entire heart itself. He lived rather badly on whats left on no oxygen at all until it killed him again. This time for good.

If he died outside while I am in here busy playing warships. I would have a problem with that. Real life matters. The game does not.

And computers? Things will happen. And partly because most people do not spend sufficiently for adequately fast machines that will work as fast as they can think through a error message or some other interrupting that will get them destroyed in game.

Oh well. There is always the next game. For some there is no tomorrow.

One thing I detest in life more than anything is a crappy computer. Wife and I were down at the National Cemetary to arrange for our future graves and burial on their property in a particular section when we died later on in our life, the staff at the office of that Cemetery had a standard Dell workstation PC computer (This was year 2000... 21 years ago)

I timed that computer from screensaver to desktop 2 minutes and ten seconds. When she clicked our specific wordpad document containing the particulars on wife and I to open prior to printing for us it took the computer about 14 minutes or so to finish opening the document and have it up ready for whatever. To print took about 4 minutes more.

Something that would take me I think 10 seconds to open a wordpad something, run it off with the printer and hand it to someone is about a minute and change. Done. That Dell in there needed about a 25 minute total wait until she was able to give us that document off the printer.

Its not good to have crappy systems in important things for People who are dying to get it done while waiting on it too long. The computers we had in college were 300 meg CPU's which ran Linux perfectly like super computers but failed to complete a normal Windows 2000 install. To install that on that one took about 2 hours. Most of it waiting on the disc progress bar.

Tick tick tick tick. Enough of that. Go buy a good fast computer and be happy.

Thanks but it has nothing to do with the computer Rayzen 5 32GB RTX 3060...I do not have programs running in the background because I didn't install crap on it. all my media and personal files are stored on a removable HDD which is not connected unless I need something from there. I will keep digging in this....

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,485 posts
6 hours ago, ex_ossibus said:

If you have popups happening at random you may have malware, or at least adware. Run an online malware scan (Malwarebytes, Eset, etc.) and also check the Task Manager to see if anything your don't want is running the background. Note that many "free with ads" programs will pop up ads if they are running in the background. Remember that the "bloatware" that comes installed on store-bought PCs oftentimes will contain "free with ads" software. You might be getting notifications from Microsoft if you haven't rebooted to install updates lately too.

A screenshot of one of these popups would be helpful in diagnosing the problem.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Members
6,329 posts
1 hour ago, ex_ossibus said:

I have nothing installed but the basics of windows and office plus this game and it is the only game I play on pc the rest goes to Xbox.

How old is this piece of junk, then?  

Is it old enough the OS still resides on a spinning hard drive?

If so, then think about upgrading it.  

Running Norton or McAfee as your AV?  Problem number one.

Less than 8 GB RAM?  Older than 5-6 years?

Still, any of those should still work, if configured and kept clean correctly, but, since you know so much, why are you asking us for help?

If I get a pop up, it doesn't even slow down the game in the background.  My conclusion is that you're playing on a toaster, or something is misconfigured.  YMMV.

Edited by Kesh_Lives

[O2]
Members
565 posts
11,051 battles
7 hours ago, ex_ossibus said:

freezing the game

Is that true? Or is the game still running behind the pop-up?

[REKTD]
Members
669 posts
11,594 battles
12 minutes ago, Kesh_Lives said:

How old is this piece of junk, then?  

Is it old enough the OS still resides on a spinning hard drive?

If so, then think about upgrading it.  

Running Norton or McAfee as your AV?  Problem number one.

Less than 8 GB RAM?  Older than 5-6 years?

Still, any of those should still work, if configured and kept clean correctly, but, since you know so much, why are you asking us for help?

If I get a pop up, it doesn't even slow down the game in the background.  My conclusion is that you're playing on a toaster, or something is misconfigured.  YMMV.

Yes! Those “anti-virus” programs are essentially a virus themselves.

To add - my PC is old; 8 years old, AMD FX9370 / 16GB RAM / NV GT1660X. Zero issues with this game, and never once any pop ups. Literally: never had a single pop up, let alone one that interrupted a game! 

Something on OP’s machine is compromised.

Beta Testers
1,019 posts
15,496 battles

Bit out there but you're not randomly hitting the windows key by mistake? I've done that very occasionally in the heat of battle:Smile-_tongue:

Members
6,329 posts
32 minutes ago, SuperComm4 said:

Something on OP’s machine is compromised.

Yeah, there are occasional reasons for me to get interrupted by something, but it's not a 'compromised' popup, it's a work-on-call related thing messaging me so I don't ignore it on my phone.  Still the game just goes on w/o me in the background.

Edited by Kesh_Lives

[DDDDC]
Members
132 posts
709 battles
8 hours ago, ex_ossibus said:

I don't know if this is your issue, but I used to have an annoying issue with the Windows "Sticky Key" thing trying to activate in the middle of a game because i hit the SHIFT button several times quickly. I finally went into my Win10 settings and turned that feature off.

Otherwise, this game is really stable.  Up until a day ago, I was running it on a 7 year old refurbished business tower with a crappy GT 1030 and 4GB of RAM and I still could run in High at over 50 fps and be able to TAB in and out of it all day long.  In fact, I use my big LED TV in my room as a second monitor and I'll tab firefox over onto it to watch Twitch streams while I am playing... even with only 4GB RAM.   I just added 16GB more yesterday though and I find the game loads super quick now, even on an old school WD drive. It's a mature stable game, TBH.  IMO, any pop-ups are probably malware or spyware on your system, unless you are experiencing that sticky key functionality.  Try Task Manager the next time it happens and look for any processes (not Apps) that are hogging up CPU or disk I/O.

Edited by Done_Dirt_Cheap

[CLUMP]
Members
2,049 posts
2,424 battles

Sounds to me like you running too many background programs on your pc :Smile_hiding:

[NYAAR]
Members
2,918 posts
15,555 battles
On 6/30/2021 at 3:46 PM, ex_ossibus said:

As people have said, checking the Task Manager would be the first place to start. I would suggest taking a screen shot before launching WoWs, and then if the window event occurs again, check Task manager to see what if any program appeared that you never clicked on.

Another possibility, could you in the course of playing be hitting the function key or even the windows key on the keyboard? A combination of key punches might activate a window or program.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,177 posts
8,095 battles

Feels like malware to me?  I'd suggest a scan with some type of reliable anti-malware software.  Windows security suite, Avast, Malware bytes.. there's a ton of free ones out there that do credible job of detecting and removing malware.   

[702]
Members
12 posts
2,092 battles
On 7/1/2021 at 2:56 PM, iRA6E said:

Feels like malware to me?  I'd suggest a scan with some type of reliable anti-malware software.  Windows security suite, Avast, Malware bytes.. there's a ton of free ones out there that do credible job of detecting and removing malware.   

thanks I solved the issue. It was actually one button on my keyboard that needed to be activated in order to bypass all shortcuts during game. That button disable all windows shortcut menu and sticky buttons.

• Cool 1

Members
0 posts
1 hour ago, ex_ossibus said:

thanks I solved the issue. It was actually one button on my keyboard that needed to be activated in order to bypass all shortcuts during game. That button disable all windows shortcut menu and sticky buttons.

I'm guessing you mean sticky keys.  If you do I hate that feature.

[702]
Members
12 posts
2,092 battles
19 hours ago, catloverjerrygarcia1979 said:

I'm guessing you mean sticky keys.  If you do I hate that feature.

YEP

[CNO]
Members
6,738 posts
20,178 battles
On 6/30/2021 at 3:46 PM, ex_ossibus said:

Disable the "Windows" key.  Google a "how to".

Might not be your issue, but even if it's not, you probably want to disable it anyway.

Many years ago, I had the same issue of my computer minimizing my game and/or popping up some menu item in the heat of battle.  After a bit of investigation, I discovered it was the Windows key.  During the heat of battle as my fingers frantically moved across the WASD keys and/or ctrl key, I would fat finger the Windows key (adjacent to my ctrl key), and...things would go awry.  Disabled the Windows key and problem is solved.

Members
60 posts
1,539 battles

Windows auto update.

Antivirus auto update.

These update processes require a lot of bandwith of your internetconnection as well as a lot of bandwith of your harddrive controller.