You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HaruSket

Steel sale

24 comments in this topic

[FURIA]
Members
64 posts
15,014 battles

Hi guys, I know that many will not like this, and I also know that WG did this a long time ago, but I also know that there are many of the old players who do not have much time to play, not everyone has the time to play or at CW or Ranked, WG with so many dumb containers they have, it should still sell some steel. This at least to be able to get boats that I am more than sure will put them there. which will be very difficult to obtain, I know that more than some do not like the idea because of the effort and blah blah blah, but come on, we don't all have the time. I read his opinions.

• Cool 4
  • Meh 9

Members
690 posts
20 battles

I understand it sucks to miss out on ships you may want, but the whole point of steel ships is that they reward competitive game play.  You're more than welcome to not engage in that part of the game, but if that is your choice you shouldn't then expect the rewards that have been assigned to those players who do choose to play the more competitive modes. 

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 1

[KWF]
Members
6,570 posts
7,187 battles

There never was a direct steel sale in the game; WG released way back a  temporary campaign you could buy that gave out steel rewards, but you still had to grind.

If you want steel outside of competitive, Dockyard stages bought with doubloons normally reward with steel once you complete their tasks.

[NSEW]
Members
2,550 posts
12,094 battles
47 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

I understand it sucks to miss out on ships you may want, but the whole point of steel ships is that they reward competitive game play.  You're more than welcome to not engage in that part of the game, but if that is your choice you shouldn't then expect the rewards that have been assigned to those players who do choose to play the more competitive modes. 

Whilst I would agree on the traditional sense that you have pointed out.  However, now that players who are not clearly in the realm of 'competitive' world still get to buy/obtain steel ships.  

I wonder how then these players got enough steel to get them.

Members
229 posts
71 battles

Rewards like ships are there to drive players onwards.  Don't like it, don't aim for them.   Enough to do in this game without chasing steel.

Edited by Pebcac
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[ALLY]
Members
422 posts
21,995 battles

To all:

We had another thread like this not that long ago.  You have the anniversary event where every T8 and T9 give steel.  You also get steel if you complete the daily missions.  I do not play clan battles.  I do occasionally play ranked.  I have been playing the game for 6+ years and I have 3 steel ships (I am including Flint which I bought using Steel before they removed it).  I am not sure when I will get my next steel ship, but it will probably be early next year.  Not sure what the OP is suggesting except to let whales whale even more instead of just play the game.

C130 signing out

• Cool 3
  • Meh 1

[FRR]
Members
1,025 posts
7 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

Tell me, how many times has Wargaming sold steel to whales and everyone who has the money, in the last 2 years?

Anyone with money can get steel without going into competitive game play. Just look at how they have been selling the Dockyard.

8 hours ago, HaruSket said:

Hi guys, I know that many will not like this, and I also know that WG did this a long time ago, but I also know that there are many of the old players who do not have much time to play, not everyone has the time to play or at CW or Ranked, WG with so many dumb containers they have, it should still sell some steel. This at least to be able to get boats that I am more than sure will put them there. which will be very difficult to obtain, I know that more than some do not like the idea because of the effort and blah blah blah, but come on, we don't all have the time. I read his opinions.

Since Steel is sold via Dockyard events, the only "difficulty" left is the amount of time needed to play. I think that's a fair arrangement. 

And the more a player actually plays the game, the higher the probability of a purchase, be it signal flags, doubloons, ships, premium time, containers, etc.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,662 posts
24,721 battles

@HaruSketYou can get up to 1200 steel a month completing all daily missions and half that if you complete the first four dailies. If you also "dabble" in Ranked Sprints, like I do, you can get 600 steel each sprint for 9 wins in Bronze Ranked. Clan bonuses add up to 10% more.

The biggest steel rewards are in the snowflake events in September and January that @Hercules_C130 mentioned. I hope WG continues this event.

This is how I've gotten steel the past 6 years and how I've gotten my three steel ships - Black, Flint, and Somers.

And the steel is free!

Edited by Khafni

[SR-_-]
Members
4,942 posts
46,451 battles
1 hour ago, Moggytwo said:

If Steel awards competitive, then why is Steel not awarded in Grand battles?

Hmmm mmm 😏

• Boring 1

[SR-_-]
Members
4,942 posts
46,451 battles
1 hour ago, LowSpeed_US said:

Whilst I would agree on the traditional sense that you have pointed out.  However, now that players who are not clearly in the realm of 'competitive' world still get to buy/obtain steel ships.  

Well, it's simple. You hire 10 other players to break into a clan and steal the steel. Then getaway on ocean 🌊 map in a submarine.

I call it Billy Ocean's 11.

• Cool 1

[SR-_-]
Members
4,942 posts
46,451 battles
1 hour ago, Pebcac said:

Rewards like ships are there to drive players onwards.  Don't like it, don't aim for them.   Enough to do in this game without chasing steel.

Yep, you can chase ship waifus until the Sun burns out.

Just imagine if we get a Pokemon event 🤣

[-TKS-]
Members
1,161 posts
9,242 battles

I'm torn because while I think grinds in games, like steel in wows, has been around forever, WG selling it to make money is fair from a business standpoint.

We already have premium ships that can be bought so it's not like making steel ships available would bring in a new wave of noob players to high tiers.

Then again, the reward is there and is a strong incentive to have participation in clan battles.

You COULD do ranked; you get steel for victories not for higher ranks so that's your go to.

you may just want to accept that getting steel is very rare and not think about it. There are plenty of games where this is common and I just accept that I'm not going to get that stuff and that's that

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,906 posts

It took me just about 2 years grinding everything that offered steel to accumulate the 33,000. Spent it on the Burger with coupon and done. The rest of the steel about 10K was vaporized as coal to upgrade some of the port ships. For things like 30% longer engine boost time etc.

I have 300 steel now, from the dailies that I may or may not complete. I cannot be bothered to worry about steel anymore. Its a total and absolute burn out leading to a decision not to worry about steel anymore. Its over. Finished.

The Burger does a good job in all modes what permits that one to be in. And I am seeing more and more of other steel ships about now as people have ground the steel for years now buy their first or second steel ships and flood the game with them.

We had a clan battle last week with three stalingrades and two Kremlins plus a mogador and Halland. We were deleted in a few minutes. They took some damage but by the time the Krwms showed up to clean up what the Stalins left behind there was not much of anything left. None of them were sunk. We simply did not live long enough to apply the necessary damage to sink any of them.

The specific battle I refer to is a direct result of WG removing, banning or restrciting ships like the Petro for example from Clan Battles etc. The players simply swithced to the Stalingrad and Moskva and other similar ships to get the same winning performance in battle. I expect WG to eliminate, remove or restrict say the Stalingrad later this year as more and more players buy it in steel.

I can usually kill a stalin with the burger but I cannot kill three stalins. Or four or five etc.

The clan battles is not exactly a focus except that we will eventually get into the Gale leaque for one battle necessary to complete the overall 18 Clan Missions. After that one is awarded (10K oil etc) there will be no more clan missions to do unless updated in the future.

Edited by xHeavy

[WOLFG]
Members
34,350 posts
10,591 battles
5 hours ago, LowSpeed_US said:

Ranked Sprints and daily missions, plus clan bonuses (ours is 10% IIRC)

I get about 1k steel every time I start in Bronze and get to Rank 1.

[WKY20]
Members
4,222 posts
26,429 battles
6 hours ago, LowSpeed_US said:

Ranked. Lots of it. And cashing through the Dockyard events. I see players with ~40 win rates who have ships that have never been available for anything but Steel, they mostly get this by spamming the Ranked battle button. 

[CO-OP]
Members
3,805 posts
31,131 battles

Neustrashimy, and Flint used to be steel ships, but are now available for coal.  We're still waiting for them to release Black for coal.  So, it is possible that you might see some of the older steel ships being sold for other currencies.

[-N-]
Beta Testers
268 posts
6,811 battles

They already sell steel. its called the dockyard event. You get 3 or 4 events per year each with 2k steel. that's 8k steel per year with money.

If they ever sell steel the quality of the ships will go down and will be the same as [edited] doubloon ships.

Members
690 posts
20 battles
17 hours ago, Hukom said:

Tell me, how many times has Wargaming sold steel to whales and everyone who has the money, in the last 2 years?

Anyone with money can get steel without going into competitive game play. Just look at how they have been selling the Dockyard.

Since Steel is sold via Dockyard events, the only "difficulty" left is the amount of time needed to play. I think that's a fair arrangement. 

And the more a player actually plays the game, the higher the probability of a purchase, be it signal flags, doubloons, ships, premium time, containers, etc.

They have definitely sold relatively small amounts of steel in the past, and you do get extremely small amounts each day by playing the game.  Combine that with a fairly modest amount of bronze ranked play, and even the least skilled portion of the player base will be able to get a steel ship eventually.  They've likely done this to minimise complaints like the OP's, to enable people who really desire a certain steel ship to have an avenue to eventually get it.  I don't think any player is going to begrudge someone who isn't particularly good at the game eventually getting a single steel ship through a bit of money, and a lot of time spent playing the game.  There would be very few players who have got a 23k steel ship (with coupon) with absolutely zero ranked or clan battle play.

That is completely different to making steel easy to access for everyone.  If you play clan battle and ranked modes, then you will have enough steel to get the rewards you want, and the more successful you are at these modes, the quicker you'll get the reward.  I struggle to see the issue with how steel rewards are set up.

[FURIA]
Members
64 posts
15,014 battles

I would love to farm like before, but I don't have that same time anymore. Guys, I am a trucker who spends 30 days in the 48 states working, and I have 1 week off, honestly I will not use it to farm. a bit illogical if I want to rest and not stress, WG already sells tier 9 so if the whales want to buy or the new ones, they can do it now, I'm just one more collector. that I like to have unique boats. although I also reject those who are in the shipyard. Simply, if I don't like a boat, I don't get it and that's it. anyway. I just wanted to expose that. This game is no longer as competitive as before, many of those I knew already left or got tired of the game, the game dies and more with the decisions that WG makes, it had to be said and said. WOW die.

[USRUS]
[USRUS]
Members
1,778 posts
22,310 battles
20 hours ago, HaruSket said:

They do sell steel, it's called the dockyard

[FRR]
Members
1,025 posts
34 minutes ago, Cit_the_bed said:

They do sell steel, it's called the dockyard

Yes. Steel ships are not exclusive rewards for competitive play anymore. At the end of the day, it is all about the money.

[HKC]
Members
882 posts
18 hours ago, LowSpeed_US said:

I have one steel ship, and it took 1.5 years to save up enough steel as a pretty much Randoms player.

[USRUS]
[USRUS]
Members
1,778 posts
22,310 battles
4 hours ago, Hukom said:

Yes. Steel ships are not exclusive rewards for competitive play anymore. At the end of the day, it is all about the money.

If you buy a dockyard ship day 1, each stage gives steel instead of the stage token. You can buy thousands of steel each dockyard.

Edited by Cit_the_bed

[FOXY]
Members
2,568 posts
7,729 battles
6 minutes ago, Cit_the_bed said:

If you buy a dockyard ship day 1, each stage gives steel instead of the stage token. You can buy thousands of steel each dockyard.

Usually around 2k per event. Took me a year to get my first steel ship(w coupon), Austin. Dont regret it at all.

In that time i bought out half of the Odin dockyard, Anchorage, Hizen and half of ZF-6.

Did ranked once throughout the entire year.