Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
shinytrashcan

Remove Detonations, or give us back the flags

49 comments in this topic

[TIMT]
Members
1,780 posts

OK, title fairly self-explanatory but nevertheless here is the thing:

Either remove this stupid mechanic that is called Detonation from the game, or at least give us back the 10 free flags you used to get when you detonated.

I get that the change was to boost the ingame economy and to prevent people from spamming flags and thinking about using them etc,... OK, I get that the money department told you to do so. But FFS please remove Detonations or make an exception to this, because now I basically pay 100k credits extra every game in a DD where I don't want to spontaneously combust. If you want this extra taxation from the playerbase, be upfront about that and give us an option for auto-buy that specific flag to pay our taxes.

Right now I just hate being in a gun fight and DDs just randomly exploding at stages because they ran out of flags, did not notice and now they basically got the reminder by being sent to port early, only then to drop a few million credits on flags that just prevent the game/RNG from grieving you.

TL;DR

• Remove Detonations
  • OR give us back free flags when detonating
    • give us a specific auto-buy option for those flags so we don't run out.

Can't believe I have to write this in 2021...

• Cool 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,560 posts
31,201 battles
5 hours ago, shinytrashcan said:

Either remove this stupid mechanic that is called Detonation from the game, or at least give us back the 10 free flags you used to get when you detonated.

I get that the change was to boost the ingame economy and to prevent people from spamming flags and thinking about using them etc,... OK, I get that the money department told you to do so. But FFS please remove Detonations or make an exception to this, because now I basically pay 100k credits extra every game in a DD where I don't want to spontaneously combust. If you want this extra taxation from the playerbase, be upfront about that and give us an option for auto-buy that specific flag to pay our taxes.

Right now I just hate being in a gun fight and DDs just randomly exploding at stages because they ran out of flags, did not notice and now they basically got the reminder by being sent to port early, only then to drop a few million credits on flags that just prevent the game/RNG from grieving you.

TL;DR

• Remove Detonations

:cap_old:

Oh god, just suck it up.  I only put on det flags for CBs, Ranked Battles (on those rare occasions when I play them), or on ships that I've full flagged up when I'm grinding them.  It's not worth the hassle to mount det flags otherwise.

I will admit that I'm not fond of this new system for earning free flags (not that I'd call getting 10 det flags for being detonated as "earning" said flags).

• Boring 1
  • Meh 7

[-1]
Members
826 posts
12,331 battles
5 hours ago, shinytrashcan said:

It's like asking amusement parks to sell food at reasonable prices.

[SR-_-]
Members
4,904 posts
46,416 battles

Sometimes, I like to explode. 🤣

WG rewards my explosiveness by way of super container. I get the bulk of them there. 

This change will not register with me. But I understand your pain some.

You have to see it from the perspective of WG. They want fast games in competitive. So if less of you use the signal, more of you explode. Matches end faster.

Now if you want to live, you have to exchange resources, tokens, credits, or special currency. Eventually, those run out.

Then the magic begins. Accountants love this part. Eventually players run out and have to use actual money. Not a lot mind you, but WG is aiming for volume sales. So huge markets of 20-30 dollars US per week would be a great boon for WG. Even better if some players never bought premium before. 

Companies need to keep the game going by feeding the hamsters that power the servers. This is true everywhere.

You think employees can pay their own bills on just love? I tried that once and I got a phone turned off.🤣

It is not that WG is greedy. It is a business. They have employees, Bothans, Bots, Hamsters, and Dasha.

Surely none of you want Dasha or any of the Hamsters to be let go?🤔😏😭

That would be bad. Some of those Hamsters have a lot of kids 😏😭

And we already lost Alena. Most of you guys thought she was thicc. Thicker than a Snicker.😏😎

And yet some of you think gaming companies run on pixie dust or serfs.

Seriously, free to play is a casual start in this game. But once you get serious, you are committed. Money becomes a factor. This is true with all commitments since the dawn of time.

To quote a wise young Lady.

"If you like it, you got to put a ring on it. "🤣

All WG wants is a Happy Meal and a movie for now. They will even let you get the free Pokemon prize in the Happy Meal. 🤣😎

When they ask for the lobster though....😏

Maybe then, some of you have a compelling argument.

Edited by SteelRain_Rifleman
  • Funny 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 2

[SR-_-]
Members
4,904 posts
46,416 battles
8 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

Yeah, I can't remember a funnel cake ever being cheap at a Six Flags.

[WOLFG]
Members
13,256 posts
12,507 battles
51 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

Really accurate.  WG is like amusement park games where even if you win on your first try, you've spent a dollar for a 25 cent stuffed animal.

• Funny 1

[VIGIL]
Members
385 posts

The removal of flags for achievements made the achievements not really worth achieving, TBH.  If you don't actually get rewarded, who cares if Kraken is 4 kills or 5 or 6?

[CLUMP]
Members
397 posts

I am 100% certain they have also increased the detonation rate. I never used Det flags because detonating was so rare. Hundreds of games played with maybe 1 or 2 dets, it wasn't really annoying or a problem. Then all of a sudden after this patch I have detonated 5 times in a single day. I detonated more times in a day then I did in months. Now I am seeing ships detonate, and detonating multiple times a day. Something that never occurred before. 

It is shady, but they have increased the chances to detonate as well as removed the reward flags for doing it. Just keep adding to the reasons not to spend money.... 

[CHA0S]
Members
441 posts
3,978 battles

100% agree.

Detonation as a mechanic is silly IMO to begin with, even more so when the one class that should arguably be most likely to detonate, can't.

• Thanks 2

[WOLFG]
Members
13,256 posts
12,507 battles
9 minutes ago, Blitzkrieger said:

yea i figured this was appropriate and have to agree with op

fun-and-engaging.jpg.00a39a840baf0412e90673f3b80bc05c.jpg

Ok, who is this guy?

He's used a bunch and I don't know who he is.

[SCOM]
Members
306 posts
10,306 battles
19 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Ok, who is this guy?

He is one of WG's top management, sorry I forgot his name.  He is the public face.

[SCOM]
Members
306 posts
10,306 battles
9 hours ago, shinytrashcan said:

TL;DR

• Remove Detonations

WG's response will be, take the module in slot 1 to reduce detonations...

I did find I was detonating more this patch round, but it always seems to be late in the game when I am already 25% health or less.  This could just be confirmation bias though.  I have 38 detonations over 5 years and 7k+ battles, and I have detonated 3 times in the last month.  It is a pretty low rate but frustrating when it happens at inopportune times.

[SIMP]
Members
1,445 posts
12,052 battles
32 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Ok, who is this guy?

The great and powerful Serb! Lead World of Tanks Dev / Tech Lead.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,560 posts
31,201 battles
2 hours ago, crazyeightyfive said:

100% agree.

Detonation as a mechanic is silly IMO to begin with, even more so when the one class that should arguably be most likely to detonate, can't.

I don't agree that detonations are silly.  However, I've never heard a good reason why carriers should be immune from dets.

• Meh 1

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Members
375 posts
5,465 battles

Detonations are really bad for gameplay even if slightly realistic...I'm seeing a lot more of them, and there's just no good reasons for random insta deaths...Lets let the game be decided more by skill than random luck...There's already enough of that with dispersion + AP + fire mechanics...kinda puzzling how anyone could argue otherwise...maybe they would like rogue waves and meteor strikes too... /shrug ...

• Meh 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,587 posts

got lots of det flags, never usem, cept maybe for Naval Battles... and even then... hardly bother with those of late...

[CLUMP]
Members
397 posts
28 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I don't agree that detonations are silly.  However, I've never heard a good reason why carriers should be immune from dets.

I have heard its because they were labeled "too important to lose to a rng mechanic". 

But also remember the most important factor in balancing a CV isn't how powerful or broken it is, it is how much of the population plays it. CVs get buffed/nerfed not based on performance but based on popularity regardless of how broken that might make them. 

[VIGIL]
Members
385 posts
34 minutes ago, Crucis said:

However, I've never heard a good reason why carriers should be immune from dets

OMG I never thought about CVs and dets until I read your post just now.  They absolutely should be vulnerable to dets!  Isn't that essentially what happened to St. Lo?  Thanks for posting that.

Also, I want to reiterate that (personally) I feel like detonations should be huge in nature, and the graphics and animation should be epic in scope.  There should be a smoking wreck/column visible to almost the entire map, for the duration of the match.  A ship detonates and it should stick around on the map, IMO.

[REKTD]
Members
669 posts
11,594 battles
11 minutes ago, Dudefella said:

Also, I want to reiterate that (personally) I feel like detonations should be huge in nature, and the graphics and animation should be epic in scope.  There should be a smoking wreck/column visible to almost the entire map, for the duration of the match.  A ship detonates and it should stick around on the map, IMO.

I love this take! Detonations should have a totally different animation, with a low rumbling (a la Satsuma’s low gun report) transcending into a massive, map-wide roar complete with lingering mushroom cloud, flash, and shockwave. They should be an event.

For OP - I like that these are in the game, and they have mitigating options. The post reminds me of “rage-posting” after a string of detonations...

3 hours ago, USMC_FMF said:

I am 100% certain they have also increased the detonation rate. I never used Det flags because detonating was so rare. Hundreds of games played with maybe 1 or 2 dets, it wasn't really annoying or a problem. Then all of a sudden after this patch I have detonated 5 times in a single day. I detonated more times in a day then I did in months. Now I am seeing ships detonate, and detonating multiple times a day. Something that never occurred before. 

It is shady, but they have increased the chances to detonate as well as removed the reward flags for doing it. Just keep adding to the reasons not to spend money.... 

I always felt like when I first started playing there were a lot more detonations in frequency, then they almost never happened. Now it does seem like they happen more frequently. Could just be my experience, but they do not bother me near as much as the staleness of WG’s rinse and repeat game play nature.

[ATFW]
Beta Testers
69 posts
4,906 battles

20 minutes ago, Dudefella said:

OMG I never thought about CVs and dets until I read your post just now.  They absolutely should be vulnerable to dets!  Isn't that essentially what happened to St. Lo?  Thanks for posting that.

Especially in this era of Planes that used AvGas and not Jet fuel.  We still had tanks with a way to safe them from explosions on my old conventional CV.  There was no real risk, that stuff had been removed decades before, but it was a real hazard with that much gasoline onboard..

[CLUMP]
Members
397 posts
4 minutes ago, SuperComm4 said:

I love this take! Detonations should have a totally different animation, with a low rumbling (a la Satsuma’s low gun report) transcending into a massive, map-wide roar complete with lingering mushroom cloud, flash, and shockwave. They should be an event.

For OP - I like that these are in the game, and they have mitigating options. The post reminds me of “rage-posting” after a string of detonations...

I always felt like when I first started playing there were a lot more detonations in frequency, then they almost never happened. Now it does seem like they happen more frequently. Could just be my experience, but they do not bother me near as much as the staleness of WG’s rinse and repeat game play nature.

A couple other Naval games came out already this year, and some other pretty cool ones have popped up on Steam to be released later on. Should be some healthy competition. 

• Cool 1

[SR-_-]
Members
4,904 posts
46,416 battles
5 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Really accurate.  WG is like amusement park games where even if you win on your first try, you've spent a dollar for a 25 cent stuffed animal.

Sometimes it's a stuffed potato 🥔.

[SR-_-]
Members
4,904 posts
46,416 battles
25 minutes ago, SuperComm4 said:

Well, I seem to remember in open beta that DDs had a citadel and they detonated when you citadeled them regularly.

DD players immediately clamored (pun intended) for that to change.

I thought those days were funny because a DD player would lose their temper almost every match.

Change is sometimes good. 🤔😏😎

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this