You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
dimzzy

Fix ranked battles already please

28 comments in this topic

[-1]
Members
826 posts
12,419 battles

I still believe that it should be competitive mode where you can move to say silver league and play with reasonable people. It's still not the case; the gameplay is so pathetic that the only thing the ranked is good for is to grind stock ships. This is just wrong.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,186 posts
8,156 battles
5 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

I still believe that it should be competitive mode where you can move to say silver league and play with reasonable people. It's still not the case; the gameplay is so pathetic that the only thing the ranked is good for is to grind stock ships. This is just wrong.

Correct me if I'm wrong,  but wouldn't grinding stock ships also be poor gameplay in a "competitive mode"  FTR.. Ranked isn't a competetive game mode.  

• Cool 2

[CLUMP]
Members
397 posts

We had two ships AFK for the first 6 minutes of my last match, and we had one bot suicide right in. Gloriously fun. 

[UNCLN]
Members
142 posts
10,433 battles

Played a few ranked games today, was 2 star away from ranking out, had 2 win, 5 loses with saving 2 stars, now 3 stars away and I called it a day.

Ranked feels more like lotto to me, players on different skill level play bronze, bad ones can get carried well if their team are overall filled with better players. At least we don't get many steamrolled games in ranked yet so I think it is somewhat competitive. 

I don't see too much trouble grinding ships in ranked in bronze, I grinded my T6-7 Italian BB in ranked a few sprint back, but as long as the person grinding ship knows what he/she is doing and whether the ship is suitable in grinding in their level in ranked, it should be all right.

[CRUEL]
Members
557 posts
10,769 battles

And that's why I just stayed in bronze this go around. Tier 6/7 is more fun with less sodium. If I rank out in bronze it's the same amount of steel as If I just played for the win bonuses in silver. They really need to up the payoff if they want me up there again. 

• Cool 1

Members
1,124 posts

they need to remove the qualifiers and the people who play to lose.....restore the playing time to anytime ..buff the payout ..not allow ships that have never been made public to participate for data info in the middle of a season

alot of people can not play on their own and this is what ranks is about ... 

Beta Testers
189 posts
18,581 battles
2 hours ago, arch4random said:

they need to remove the qualifiers and the people who play to lose.....restore the playing time to anytime ..buff the payout ..not allow ships that have never been made public to participate for data info in the middle of a season

alot of people can not play on their own and this is what ranks is about ... 

You re wrong in saying that test ships are allowed to be in a ranked battle. Correct me if i'm wrong.

Members
1,124 posts
12 minutes ago, TheGreatKiller26 said:

You re wrong in saying that test ships are allowed to be in a ranked battle. Correct me if i'm wrong.

please re-read ..you stand corrected

Beta Testers
189 posts
18,581 battles
31 minutes ago, arch4random said:

please re-read ..you stand corrected

Tell me which test ship have u ever seen in ranked gameplay

[WKY20]
Members
4,222 posts
26,429 battles
5 hours ago, ThiccLoliThighs said:

your first mistake was thinking rank was a competitive mode

This.

In large measure, Ranked is where bad players go to grind Steel. 

• Thanks 2

Members
1,124 posts
51 minutes ago, TheGreatKiller26 said:

Tell me which test ship have u ever seen in ranked gameplay

dude really!!!!! re-read ..where did i say test ship ?

but to answer your ? Tone was not available  for purchase or the grind when this season of ranked  started ...but they allowed it to be played in ranked after the first sprint was completed ....

Edited by arch4random
no reason

[TFLT]
Members
298 posts
14,570 battles
9 hours ago, dimzzy said:

I  used to loved Ranked. I always though Sprint was much easier...and less fun. Ranked used to really shake out the bad players. By the time I would reach the First League the vast majority of players were excellent and it was highly competitive. Especially if you played early in the season. The later you play ranked you end up with the worst players...you want to play early and ride the "wave" of good players down. 

Once they did away with real Ranked in favor of this perpetual horse dung...watered down Sprint for the window lickers I stopped playing. Ranked was always frustrating at times when you would get bad teams but in the 16 Seasons I played (Ranking out in like the last 9 or 10) I always found that it was highly competitive and challenging once you got below 10 into the 8th rank. Once you got to rank 5 you had amazing players. Those that say you could just play 3000 games and rank out as a Potato ...I saw a few of those but the majority of the players who were in the first league when I played were the cream of the player base.

Sprint dumbed everything down. I don't play it. Real ranked used to give me ulcers but when you finally hit Rank 1 ...especially after only a week or 10 days it was an accomplishment. Back in the first 8 or so when you would hit Rank 1 it showed in your friends profile and you would get tons of congratulations. Especially after they started putting all the Names of the players who hit Rank 1 on a list on the homepage. It was an accomplishment. You received tons and tons of doubloon's, Steel and especially flags ...especially in the early years. When you saw after the battle that player had a Rank 1 by their name you were never surprised because they were good.

Today "Sprint" ranked is just a never ending season of your worst players. When I see some player has ranked out today they're often awful players and it means nothing anymore. I have never regretted stopping playing after they removed real ranked mode.

• Cool 1

[FOXY]
Members
2,567 posts
7,729 battles
5 hours ago, arch4random said:

dude really!!!!! re-read ..where did i say test ship ?

but to answer your ? Tone was not available  for purchase or the grind when this season of ranked  started ...but they allowed it to be played in ranked after the first sprint was completed ....

Its always been that way. Ship gets released during ranked = it can be played during ranked. Good news is Tone isnt op, its decent, but not op.

Beta Testers
189 posts
18,581 battles
7 hours ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Its always been that way. Ship gets released during ranked = it can be played during ranked. Good news is Tone isnt op, its decent, but not op.

That is what i meant, is not like the ship wasn't tested or was not available for everyone for the 2nd sprint.

Members
1,124 posts
6 hours ago, Princess_Daystar said:

Its always been that way. Ship gets released during ranked = it can be played during ranked

no i dont think so...not when there are different leagues like there are now.. they have not...but this time they made a mistake and manipulated the outcome of the matches by doing so...

its also my opinion that if wows wants this ranked battle mode to exceed their expectations it should be professionally handled..

and since they are offering doubloons to players to play i assume they want high expectations to be met ..

what they did was unprofessional and should not happen in future ranked play...

in simple terms their timing  was off...but a reasonable person can forgive their actions in this one case.....but if it happens again their credibility for running a fair and honest tournament like this would be thrown out ... and i do not think they want that either ..

there were plenty of ships that could be played or bought at the "START" of the season ...bringing a new ship that was unavailable at the "START" into the game after a sprint has already been finished and people advanced to the next league and dont have to play with or against this new ship...nah your integrity took a major hit there wows   

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Members
375 posts
5,504 battles

For all the good reasons listed I find it really hard to want to play ranked...I do pretty well + win a lot...and yet still find the level of play horrendous + a turn off...As bad as randoms can be at least they aren't full of afkers and there's less toxicity (though still plenty...yes)...I like the idea of fixed MM + small scale pvp + getting steel....but in practice I haven't enjoyed my limited experience with it nearly as much as I should...It seems to me to be easily fixable...and hard to make it worst...It's like its designed to bring out the worst behavior in people...

[WSU]
Members
21 posts
14,546 battles

Ranked play is just random battles that reward steal....it is not competitive and is filled with players who really don't care about winning.

The reason the old ranked system worked is that the rewards were weighted at the end....with much effort and time invested to get there.

The new ranked is easy to get rewards without effort.

WG got more participation but dramatically changed the event...probably got what they were looking for I suspect

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,935 posts
22,995 battles

Ranked needs a brand overhaul. It used to be the most competitive solo mode in WoWS, with rewards to match and an intensive seasonal schedule.

Over time, almost every single one of those things went away. It's not competitive (just grindy). The rewards are now crap. And there are no seasons, it's perennial. The only part they kept is that you can't play with your friends, so a big middle finger to all the clans out there who are trying to get folks used to playing together.

At this point, WG would get the best bang for the buck literally stripping the name off and just calling it something else.

• Cool 1

[CLUMP]
Members
397 posts

As long as you remember two things in this game, you should be ok:

1) Generally (randoms) this is an individual game, you get good XP if you win or lose. So don't worry about teammates as people AFK and Bot/Throw matches all the time. Most matches are going to be and are blowouts. 

2) Ranked is Randoms with fewer players and extra steps but isn't "competitive". 

Members
286 posts
5,886 battles

I want to say the star mechanism really needs improving. Nowadays, the rank mechanism of other competitive games has been so mature (e.g., A*ex using kill + assist and surviving order as the standard), but WG still only uses "pure winning" as the standard for going up ranks. 

I would want stars to be rewarded based on personal performance rather than pure winning as a result of the lack of SBMM and ship balance. You can't imagine what to do if the enemy has a 21-point-Yamamoto Musashi and we have a stocked Lion without a camo. The judging standard should be based on spotting damage, potential damage, or at least... on frags, damage done and areas capped. IMHO this can make players more willing to engage in ranked battles without needing to worry about a suicidal DD or a CV not knowing what he's doing. 

Members
713 posts
30,387 battles

Ranked is Fine. Most people shouldn't play Ranked anything to be honest.

But for the most part ranked is a decent game once you get over all the whining of the fragile people who wouldn't be good in a co-op match.

[-1]
Members
826 posts
12,419 battles
2 hours ago, USMC_FMF said:

As long as you remember two things in this game, you should be ok:

1) Generally (randoms) this is an individual game, you get good XP if you win or lose. So don't worry about teammates as people AFK and Bot/Throw matches all the time. Most matches are going to be and are blowouts. 

2) Ranked is Randoms with fewer players and extra steps but isn't "competitive". 

You miss the point. The expectation from ranked is to raise above the random crowd and to play with better players. This is the whole reason there are leagues and stars and ranks in the first place: to separate people by skill. The problem is that the system works poorly, you can get to silver/gold league and still see a lot of bad players.

Members
286 posts
5,886 battles
2 hours ago, Impitoyable_5929_x said:

I would want stars to be rewarded based on personal performance rather than pure winning as a result of the lack of SBMM and ship balance. 

I just came up with a model. 

Double the stars currently required. A player gets a star when

1) causing 70000 damage to enemy ships

2) receiving 700000 potential damage or getting the "dreadnought" achievement

3) spotting 25000 damage for the team

4) getting a "captured" ribbon or 2 "assist in capture" ribbons

5) getting 6 "defended" ribbons

6) sinking 2 enemy ships. 

A player can only get at most 3 stars in a single battle, but the first person in the winning team can get an extra star. Failing to reach any of the standards, a player loses a star in the winning team, loses 2 stars in the losing team, and loses 3 stars in the losing team with a place at the bottom. Each standard can be reached twice. 

Edited by Impitoyable_5929_x
Triple > Double

Beta Testers
194 posts
46,768 battles

I can play ranked on this account, be successful in it or not, my mum can, my bro can, my parrot and hamster can with same results just mentioned - ranked is just random Puppet Show.