You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Cit_the_bed

The thrifty player guide to world of warships.

24 comments in this topic

[USRUS]
[USRUS]
Members
1,773 posts
22,265 battles

Let's lay out some unspoken basics.

Tiers 9-10 are designed to make the average player who is below or at the average win rate (48% now) to lose money consistently.

Unless you are having big baller games, every game, you need the permanent camouflage for the ship. This reduces the expenses for the ships to sustainable levels. 

TLDR; Unless you are a unicum, you're going to slowly starve of silver at T9-T10.

Let's talk about the lower tiers. specifically several ships that have extra special camouflages with some of the highest income earning in the game. (That you can still buy into)

20% for the kobayashi camouflages. This is on Roma, Kii, and Ashitaka. They however cost an astounding 7000 doubloons. 

It's not unusual to make 750K silver per game in ashitaka, so if you really like Kii, Roma, or Ashitaka, it might be worth the $35 investment to always have abundant silver.

image.thumb.png.b3544ed0b86591dc3c069c4c71339e91.png

35% more credits for the "National" camouflages. Far more affordable. 5000 doubloons

Available for Warspite, Shinonome, and the just now unavailable Graf Spee. 

image.thumb.png.c0c5a2a912c741065421dffbbabc84f7.png

Shinonome is still free, and is a very powerful destroyer, so it's possible to spend only $20 to unlock an  "atm" ship. 

The higher tier the enemy is, the more you make, so damaging a T8 ship makes more than killing someone of the same tier.

Warspite has been powercrept recently, but the stealthy shinonome is still a potent menace, with some of the best IJN destroyer guns (that no one uses..)

As the tier is much lower, a typical game in warspite would be 500K silver. Not bad if you plan on finishing all the lower tiers before pushing to T9-T10.

TLDR; 

If you have almost no money to spend, the free Shinonome premium with national camouflage is a powerful credit earner.

If you want to play T9-T10 all the time, you need premium time and a premium ship camouflage to not worry about silver starvation.

Edited by Cit_the_bed
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF1]
Members
1,151 posts
2,228 battles

Also save up on coal for a T9 rpremium ship, which brings in a lot of silver. I currently have Georgia as my flagship, then my other Scharnhorst and Nelson, which can be used non bronze ranked. Got these ships essentially for free , but had to work hard for them.

Scharnhorst is a mystery though

Edited by Boomer625

[KWF]
Members
6,561 posts
7,170 battles

I don't know about Ashitaka, but my experience with Kii and Roma is that they are simply too inconsistent to warrant investing in Kobayashi camouflage. 

This is not completely current but here's a very helpful guide on premium ship earnings, courtesy of Reddit.

1624955504551.thumb.jpg.bbb641ba69615941d95d543c40d935db.jpg

As for losing money in a Tier IX-X ship, you can use single use bonus credit camos exclusively at these tiers, and supplement them with economic signals too.

I can't trust WG not nerfing any of the tech tree stuff, so even a permacamo is a risk.

What's not a risk are the Tier IX camos from Five Epochs of the Navy which can be freely earned.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 1

Members
2,187 posts
29,308 battles

My coal-purchased Premium T9 German BB Pommern makes excellent silver in CO-OP using ONLY it's standard perma-camo and NO flags!

[PVE]
Members
8,795 posts
25,076 battles

Salem

[META_]
Members
1,837 posts
18,976 battles

This is a good thread , as many need to be thrifty . A few ships that do cost real money but bring back high returns are the Atlanta , as stated when killing higher than yourself ships you gain more . Atlanta doesn't care the tier she rips DDs . She is very consistent if you stick to your role . She gets deleted if someone sneezes on you , and because of that she isn't a carry ship....I consistently make good silver in her even as a Tier 7 ship.....A couple other special camps that are available are the special Musashi  camo , red and silver , and the special eagle camo for the Prinz Eugin . Another tip that you brought up is important,  DDs guns mostly don't care about higher tiers than themselves armor . So easier to damage(kill) higher tier than yourself  , hence make silver....Higher tier BBs armor and caliber pen makes a big difference in what you can really kill too easily....something to think about. 

[ARGSY]
Members
25,122 posts
19,133 battles
5 hours ago, Cit_the_bed said:

TLDR; Unless you are a unicum, you're going to slowly starve of silver at T9-T10.

Only if you exclusively or overwhelmingly play tech-tree ships at those tiers. One possible solution to assist in grinding high-tier ships is to play the chosen ship for at least the first battle of the day, picking up the extra 500 ship XP on that vessel, then cover any credit losses with lower-tier games.

Premium ships, more of which are available now for coal than ever before, or which can be given out in various events, can be very helpful at supplementing your silver income if you want to play entirely on WG's dime without putting in any of yours. The  high-tier ones allow Tier 9 and 10 play on a regular basis without credit issues (you will have to do very badly indeed not to come home with at least a positive credit balance, even in co-op.) Some of them are not necessarily the bee's knees, but there's nothing wrong with winning everything that isn't nailed down and making the best of it at your leisure.

Also be on the lookout for Youtube and Twitch content creators who offer shots at winning a premium ship. I've picked up a couple of mine that way.

Be on the lookout for permanent camo giveaways/opportunities for tech-tree ships. Those are like gold.

The downside of the Shinonome is that she can't be won without possessing at least one Tier 8 ship for the campaign which gives her out, and preferably at least three (DD, cruiser and BB so you can pick and choose your missions more easily). That can be credit-expensive in itself if you're not all that good, and it's an option which as I write this is still absolutely closed to co-op mains (although WG did recently open the Yamamoto campaign to co-op, so who knows what may happen in the long run?).

If you can afford/save up for the once-a-year cost, 360 days of premium time around the Christmas period is historically offered at 50% off and averages out to tens of cents per day. There is almost always a way to pick up those extra five (or six) calendar days with various freebies across the span of the year, and this causes those days to effectively stack on the end of your existing premium time rather than be wasted into the ether if you win them at an inopportune time (e.g. winning 14 days premium time the night before you leave on a three week vacation into the middle of the Sahara).

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[SALVO]
Members
8,964 posts
6,663 battles

There's an even cheaper way:

* Understand you play the game to be entertained and have fun 

* Understand the game offers  a limited amount of content (if vast) representing a finite amount of hours of entertainment 

* Understand the faster you chew through game content, the faster you deplete the game's potential for entertainment 

* Understand there's no actual time constraint and need to speed up progress through the game content. The longer you take to "finish" the game, the longer you keep entertained

• Cool 5
  • Thanks 1

[-VT-]
Members
868 posts
37,925 battles

Never buy the premium camo for ships.  Never.  N.E.V. E.R.  When you spend gold you are spending actually $$.  And you want to spend $$ to offset an in-game currency expense?  That is just silly.

WG hands out camos left and right.  Boxes, missions, events, etc.  You can even buy camo in the Armory for in-game currencies (coal, steel).  I presently have OVER 2400 special camos available to me just from playing the game (and not Types I. II, and III sorts).

You want to be thrifty?  Read the post immediately above this one by Arlskandir.  There you have it.  People think that rushing to the top tiers is the thing to do.  Wrong.  People think that having a top tier ship makes them a better player.  Wrong.  People think the game is more fun at the top tiers.  Wrong.

Enjoy the game at all tiers.  And if you play as many games in tiers 5-7 as you do in 8-10...why...you will start banking credits overall and will never have need of spending $$ on credits.

I DO suggest you have a premium account.  Just from the standpoint of time.  I value my time and when you look at how much time is saved to go from X to Y in the game just by having a premium account...it is staggering.  The $10-$12 monthly cost is a no-brainer.

• Cool 1

[KWF]
Members
6,561 posts
7,170 battles
54 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

There's an even cheaper way:

* Understand you play the game to be entertained and have fun 

* Understand the game offers  a limited amount of content (if vast) representing a finite amount of hours of entertainment 

* Understand the faster you chew through game content, the faster you deplete the game's potential for entertainment 

* Understand there's no actual time constraint and need to speed up progress through the game content. The longer you take to "finish" the game, the longer you keep entertained

I agree almost completely but for one potentially large issue. Your vision of the game might diverge from the vision of WG, so at some point you see it deteriorating  in the future and want to get the most out of it in the least amount of time while it's fun.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,338 posts
10,584 battles
7 hours ago, Cit_the_bed said:

If you want to play T9-T10 all the time, you need premium time and a premium ship camouflage to not worry about silver starvation.

If you're an average player, premium is all you need for T9, and if you save your credit/service cost bonus signals for T9-10 only, you should be able to at least break even, or make a small profit, unless you crap the bed.

If you are trying to accumulate credits for further ship purposes though, playing T9-10 without more bonuses is not a good idea for the average player.

[CUDA]
Members
565 posts
9,172 battles

I can only talk about how I play, but the only money I've ever spent on this game was to buy a ship as a present for someone else. 

I'm a Coop main.

I don't buy premium.

I play tiers 5-7 primarily, 5 because that's where most missions start, 7 because above that in coop you don't make reliable money. For random players you can extend to 8.

I don't use flags or camo except when I'm playing random or operations with friends.

I collect the 2000 xp crate every day. 

I don't move captains.

Bottom line, every time an opportunity comes up for something great but that costs money, I don't spend money. 

You can have fun in this game without spending money, you just have to find your balance where you earn enough credits to keep playing, and refuse to spend money.

[DVYJC]
Members
4,415 posts
11,747 battles

Honestly though, silver earnings are usually only a problem when you are A) grinding lots of tech tree lines, B) not playing any premium ships, C) are really bad at the game, and D) have not been playing long enough to start building up a stock of single-use camos and base econ signals. It's not hard to end up with lots of single-use camos, all of which come with service cost reduction and a bunch of which come with a bonus to credit earnings.

Members
486 posts

For what it's worth, I've been playing for years and managed to accumulate over 50 premium ships without spending a dime. Just play smart.

There's lots of ways to win ships or earn them for coal, steel, FXP,  etc.  Save your resources and grab a  tier 8 or 9 premium ship. Depending on the ship you can earn over 800,000 silver per battle. 
My credit level rarely gets below 100M  

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,983 posts
18,308 battles
2 hours ago, Sabene said:

Enjoy the game at all tiers.  And if you play as many games in tiers 5-7 as you do in 8-10...why...you will start banking credits overall and will never have need of spending $$ on credits.

So much this^^^

If you are free to play player this is the way. 

[WOLF2]
[WOLF2]
Members
484 posts
26,861 battles

Coal or FXP T9 are best credit earner.  Anything else requires spending gold.  Remember you can earn up to 4200 doubloons in rank season.

1313153267_credit1copy.thumb.png.a0cbb90dd8752802bb2d3b077ea24492.png

[A-I-M]
Members
4,084 posts
15,213 battles
6 hours ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

It's not hard to end up with lots of single-use camos, all of which come with service cost reduction…

Now this is not correct. Very few single-use camos have any cost reduction effect, and only a few more types have credit-earning bonuses.

[SALVO]
Members
8,964 posts
6,663 battles
11 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

I agree almost completely but for one potentially large issue. Your vision of the game might diverge from the vision of WG, so at some point you see it deteriorating  in the future and want to get the most out of it in the least amount of time while it's fun.

Yo stop tarnishing my Platonic ideals with your cruel Realism :Smile_trollface:

On a serious side (tho i know it will sound like I'm joking) I kinda like the foreseable future development path of the game...

I do like very much the new concept 1 squad/1 strike of RU CV, I'm even temtep to play them to support the concept.

I still have faith in subs, I think they are almost there, just need to get rid of the ping/home and test dumbfire armament. 

It is too early yet to have a definitive opinion on Airstrikes but I don't dislike the concept. I find using Off map assets an intriguing path to walk, potentially very interesting.

The Hybrids concept is interesting and so far they are not really game breaking imo.

My greatest real worry is signals becoming the "Gold ammo" of this game, that is a huuuuge turn off for me, I do hope they rectify their path. Otherwise the cranked up monetization doesn't really bother me... I mean, they can try... As long as we don't go full PTW I'm Ok.

Some months ago I was worried about the game becoming increasingly simpler, dumber. Now, I see the game becoming more complex and interesting, a good thing for us veterans but I kinda feel sorry for the new guys trying to ride tomorrow's learning curve.

• Cool 1

[-N-]
Beta Testers
268 posts
6,719 battles
14 hours ago, Meta_Man said:

A couple other special camps that are available are the special Musashi  camo .

What camo you talking about? also, i thought the original camo musashi has on, is the best for credit earning.

[META_]
Members
1,837 posts
18,976 battles
16 minutes ago, reza577 said:

What camo you talking about? also, i thought the original camo musashi has on, is the best for credit earning.

I looked at it , the camo in talking about is the same economic wise just extra captain xp..my bad.. its the silver ship with red stripes.  The yammy has the same camo with blue stripes 

[DVYJC]
Members
4,415 posts
11,747 battles
5 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Now this is not correct. Very few single-use camos have any cost reduction effect, and only a few more types have credit-earning bonuses.

Oh you are right. Not sure why I never noticed that!

[KWF]
Members
6,561 posts
7,170 battles
6 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

Yo stop tarnishing my Platonic ideals with your cruel Realism :Smile_trollface:

On a serious side (tho i know it will sound like I'm joking) I kinda like the foreseable future development path of the game...

I do like very much the new concept 1 squad/1 strike of RU CV, I'm even temtep to play them to support the concept.

I still have faith in subs, I think they are almost there, just need to get rid of the ping/home and test dumbfire armament. 

It is too early yet to have a definitive opinion on Airstrikes but I don't dislike the concept. I find using Off map assets an intriguing path to walk, potentially very interesting.

The Hybrids concept is interesting and so far they are not really game breaking imo.

My greatest real worry is signals becoming the "Gold ammo" of this game, that is a huuuuge turn off for me, I do hope they rectify their path. Otherwise the cranked up monetization doesn't really bother me... I mean, they can try... As long as we don't go full PTW I'm Ok.

Some months ago I was worried about the game becoming increasingly simpler, dumber. Now, I see the game becoming more complex and interesting, a good thing for us veterans but I kinda feel sorry for the new guys trying to ride tomorrow's learning curve.

The good thing with what I said is that it's purely subjective. I can keep my pessimism, you can keep your Platonic ideals :Smile_trollface:. It's personal to every player and that's respectable.

I personally dislike the increasing monetization practices and the utter cynicism shown lately. More than that, the level of play is decreasing, blowouts seem to be becoming more common by the day and subs are just around the corner. Then, I have also fulfilled my goals, getting to unicum solo; only solo WR remains and I'm not that far off.

[PHD]
Members
304 posts
12,671 battles

I'm by no means a unicum player, have a win rate of 53.4% overall. I have over 3000 tier X games and 13 tier X ships with a 51.57% win rate at that tier, yet I've never been credit starved and have never spent a penny on this game. So you can support top tier play as an average, free to play, player.