Sign in to follow this  
Timo_Greenwold

Heat Wave

19 comments in this topic

[-BTP-]
Members
395 posts
13,094 battles

I have lived in this city for a long time. Some times it would be 32 C/90 F in the summer. I come home today and my thermometer shows 39C/ 102F in the shade. Only a few weeks ago I used my heater, because I felt cold. Too late to buy a fan or a A/C unit.

[WORX]
Members
14,126 posts
20,570 battles
6 minutes ago, Timo_Greenwold said:

I have lived in this city for a long time. Some times it would be 32 C/90 F in the summer. I come home today and my thermometer shows 39C/ 102F in the shade. Only a few weeks ago I used my heater, because I felt cold. Too late to buy a fan or a A/C unit.

Its a once and a thousand year event... Its over in a week or so...

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,497 posts

I'm just glad that we've gotten a break from the heat after two weeks of over 100 F days (when my AC was out too). Heat waves are a real mess though in the Pacific Northwest because only about 15% of the homes have AC. Fortunately, they are rare. I lived out there for ten years. Mostly it was cold and rainy.

Edited by Snargfargle

Supertester
4,266 posts
4,646 battles
1 hour ago, Navalpride33 said:

Every year is a once in a thousand year event :(

Members
4,485 posts
3,255 battles
57 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

I'm just glad that we've gotten a break from the heat after two weeks of over 100 F days (when my AC was out too). Heat waves are a real mess though in the Pacific Northwest because only about 15% of the homes have AC. Fortunately, they are rare. I lived out there for ten years. Mostly it was cold and rainy.

I proudly live in the PNW, and it's not just homes without AC. Taco Bell closed today as they, like most businesses, don't have AC. Fortunately I live on the peninsula and have AC. 

My biggest obstacle today was my curbside grocery pickup order left out my popsicles.  

[WORX]
Members
14,126 posts
20,570 battles
17 minutes ago, Noshiro_ said:

:Smile_teethhappy:

Here is why your reaction made me smile... According to the weather guys... This heat wave was created by a huge heat dome which is as stated once in a thousand year event.

Problem is... Houses dont have built in AC unit (its like finding a typewriter in a server center) in the great NW...

I feel for you guys... You have my condolences until the cool temps return..

Edited by Navalpride33

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,497 posts
20 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

I proudly live in the PNW, and it's not just homes without AC.

Many of the low-lying homes only have electric baseboard heaters too as it rarely gets below 45 F in the winters. However, sometimes a storm will blow in and dump a bunch of snow in the valley. When I was out there we got a once-in-a-century snowstorm that dumped about three feet on us overnight and the power went out for a week.

Being without heat didn't bother me all that much as I'm used to being in the field and have lots of cold-weather gear. Interestingly, however, the convenience store just outside my apartments still had power. I asked them how they had power when nobody else did and the manager told me that they were on the same line as the mortuary next door and by law in that state mortuaries had to have continuous power so they had special power lines. After a week that store had nothing left in it but all of us nearby had plenty to eat.

One thing that helped us out too is that the apartment complex's owners had just had double-pane windows and additional wall and ceiling insulation put in. None of the pipes even froze because everyone ran their water at a trickle.

Edited by Snargfargle

[RLGN]
Members
16,590 posts
28,974 battles
53 minutes ago, Noshiro_ said:

God uses WG’s MM modeling for weather events?

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,233 posts
4,348 battles

Yeah, was in the 90s and humid today, miserable outside. I'm fine with heat (AC is wonderful) but add in humidity and it's not fun at all.

Also inside thermometer at work was reading 31C, lot of electronics heating things up and the AC just can't keep up in this weather.

[SR-_-]
Members
4,910 posts
46,424 battles
3 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

I blame the fire 🔥 Meta. Too much carbon in the atmosphere from all that HE. HE Spam, the new global warming threat.

🤣

[KWF]
Members
6,567 posts
7,175 battles

I have the (mis)fortune of living in a pretty warm country, especially during summer. A/Cs are pretty much mandatory, but I have to say a big factor is whether the houses are designed to diffuse some of the heat too.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,526 posts
12,874 battles

I work on a grill it's 95 and humid today no AC . Been doing it all my life it sucks but I'm used to it just gets tougher as I get older .

[SLFF]
[SLFF]
Members
866 posts
53,313 battles

I checked the weather Monday where a clan member lives in Washington State.  The temperature was 109, but it said "feels like 132".   That's 43 and 56 Centigrade, for you furriners.

[SALVO]
Members
8,982 posts
6,672 battles

Yeah, looks like all your evaporated water is raining down over here... it has been raining for about a week now 

[-BTP-]
Members
395 posts
13,094 battles

another heat wave, going to be sweating away, tomorrow, working in a hot apartment building.

[WOLFO]
[WOLFO]
Members
1,114 posts
7,931 battles

My apt was 96F until 11PM that night of hottest day ever in Seattle. Someone 2-3 doors down 1 night before that, when it was only 98-99F, had cooked a pot roast in his oven.

I'm not much of a chef. But, pretty sure that calls for a few hours? At 400, say? Next day hallway was well over 100. People did laundry mid-day, ran two loads and the dryer for both.

Then, the next day it was 108F. It was a very very very harsh week, two really. Really terrible. Several folks in building had heat stroke/exhaustion. Hospital. Not that you wanted hot water, but you sink-bathe to cool down, break-up the sweat.

The building lost hot water for 4 days during that time as well. And the Maint. man had been on vacay for over a week then, with 3-4 more days to go.

My oven hood vent died during it, still don't have a new one. Tough couple weeks and it still pretty warm, and now almost 4 months w/o a heavy consistent rain, once a week ago, it showered for a little bit.

Edited by iamSamoth

[WOLF2]
Members
893 posts
21,655 battles
On 6/29/2021 at 12:28 AM, Laser_Beam said:

I remember a funny-looking orange, who said no such thing as global warming.

BQKuneR.png

https://www.epa.gov/climate-indicators/climate-change-indicators-heat-waves

Edited by Klaatu_Nicto

Sign in to follow this