You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lynx7386

Y'know what really needs a rework? The matchmaker

29 comments in this topic

[AC1]
Members
246 posts
380 battles

Please, give me toggle options to only play in same-tier matches, none of this +1/+2 [edited].
Give me toggle options to exclude carriers from matches, while you're at it.  Other ship types too, even.

I"m more than willing to wait an extra 5-10 minutes to get into a match if it means I won't be absolutely [edited] from the get go because wargaming has the worst matchmaker I've ever experienced in an online game.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Boring 5
  • Meh 6

[HINON]
Members
9,153 posts
13,701 battles

oh, i came in here ready to post a "this thread again" but i was pleased to see that it was a MM thread about the tiering, and not a cry for skill based MM

carry on fellow forumer

• Funny 2

[AC1]
Members
246 posts
380 battles
14 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

oh, i came in here ready to post a "this thread again" but i was pleased to see that it was a MM thread about the tiering, and not a cry for skill based MM

carry on fellow forumer

well while we're on the topic, I don't see why they have skill based matchmaking for your first X number of games and then get rid of it.  Makes no sense.  The game felt a hell of a lot better in those early matches, and the matchmaker felt a whole lot different then.

[AC1]
Members
246 posts
380 battles
Just now, Pirate_Named_Sue said:

I’d love to see 1 tier MM and the no CV option. It won’t happen, I know; but we can imagine.

I had hoped submarines would be the solution to the CV whoring going on out there, but wargaming in their infinite trolldom decided to make carriers practically immune to submarines.

We've thrown history completely out the window at this point.  The one class that should fear submarines the most can't even be damaged by them.  Let's just give everyone laser beams, cruise missiles, and flying ships at this point, because [edited] it.

[SOFOP]
Members
2,537 posts
15,911 battles

Subs can damage CVs just fine.  They just rely on straight damage instead of floods, which is fine when the CV really can't do anything back.

Selective matchmaking is not going to be here.  It would be way to abusable in that you can ensure the match up that benefits you most.

Same tier MM would be fine with me though but that doesn't make WG money from frustrated bottom tier players so....

[HINON]
Members
14,323 posts
38 minutes ago, Lynx7386 said:

well while we're on the topic, I don't see why they have skill based matchmaking for your first X number of games and then get rid of it.  Makes no sense.  The game felt a hell of a lot better in those early matches, and the matchmaker felt a whole lot different then.

Well when you are shielded from experienced players and have bots as teammates, of course its going to feel different and easier. Welcome to where the learning curve/cliff really begins.

[WORX]
Members
14,151 posts
20,608 battles

Nope. MM is not the issue... Therefor WG will not fix nor waste time and resources on anything that is "Not" broke.

[AC1]
Members
246 posts
380 battles
1 hour ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Subs can damage CVs just fine.  They just rely on straight damage instead of floods, which is fine when the CV really can't do anything back.

Selective matchmaking is not going to be here.  It would be way to abusable in that you can ensure the match up that benefits you most.

Same tier MM would be fine with me though but that doesn't make WG money from frustrated bottom tier players so....

You haven't played subs on the latest test have you?

Pings set off automatic DCP.  DCP clears pings.  DCP lasts 60 seconds with a 15 second cooldown.

Not only does that mean the sub torps can't really cause any flooding or damage modules (which is about all they're good for even against other ship types), it means that they lose the guided torpedo feature, and they lose the torpedo citadel damage boost from double pings (because you just can't get pings to stick on a carrier).

Good luck destroying a 50k+ hp carrier with torpedoes that deal less than 3k damage a pop and have no guidance, from a boat that can be deleted instantly by a good depth charge run.

Members
200 posts
19,752 battles

Venting my thoughts on MM... this has been going on for a few months now... got down to 37% WR last week... just makes one want to quit.WOW.thumb.jpg.c263507000feec25c927e4fb5fa96731.jpg

[SR-_-]
Members
4,952 posts
46,489 battles
4 hours ago, tcbaker777 said:

carry on fellow forumer

Yeah, I was about to swipe left, but the funny bit had me chuckling.

Carry on then.

😏

[SR-_-]
Members
4,952 posts
46,489 battles
4 hours ago, Lynx7386 said:

I had hoped submarines would be the solution to the CV whoring going on out there, but wargaming in their infinite trolldom decided to make carriers practically immune to submarines.

We've thrown history completely out the window at this point.  The one class that should fear submarines the most can't even be damaged by them.  Let's just give everyone laser beams, cruise missiles, and flying ships at this point, because [edited] it.

Hey, it's not CV whoring. It's not like some CV main stands on the MM corner and is propositioned to join a match.

If only that happened though, then CV mains could make some money selling it on the weekend.

Nope, it doesn't happen. Occasionally CV mains get the occasional call with heavy breathing, bathwater request, or the odd stalker.

But I am sure it is not rainbows and unicorns for CV mains.

Ever see a cruiser player really happy?

How about DD players? Are they happy?

BB mains had Dead Eye taken away. So don't expect them to be sunny.

CV mains? Well, they are not exactly happy to see certain ships either. I won't elaborate, but let's just say spotting and nobody fires actually gets them angry 💢. I would say more, but I am not allowed to explain the Sith ways to new players.

And you think DD players are jacked up. Try cruiser players that like to set everything on fire 🔥. Colbert anyone?

I don't know if you want to go the: "MM is crap!" argument, then I suggest you look at what tiers are red hot 🔥.

Tier 7 is transition. Anything above is fair game. Account level protects new players, but once past that level, watch out.

Think of being bottom tier as opportunity. And think top as max performance.

Because bottom pays more doing less. Top, you have to produce and I don't just mean damage.

You can sink 5 ships at top tier and still be middle on leaderboard. But you can sink none and be on top of leaderboard at bottom tier just by getting the basics done.

MM matches armament type to balance I believe. It doesn't care if you played a thousand or just 10 matches in the ship.

Keep that in mind.

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,944 posts
21,913 battles

Why are all radar ships on one team, on spawn, instead of balanced over the teams? I would like to know that one with the MM.

[F4E]
Members
449 posts
7,078 battles

MM +/-1,

Tiers 1-6 one group without CV's,

Tiers 7-10 another group with CV's (bump the CV's so instead of T4,6,8,10, they would be T7,8,9,10)

--

Oh, and give us back flags for achievements!!

Edited by Glamorboy
to add end rant
  • Boring 1

[_BDA_]
Members
618 posts
9,797 battles
10 minutes ago, Tpaktop2_1 said:

Why are all radar ships on one team, on spawn, instead of balanced over the teams? I would like to know that one with the MM.

I was in a Coop game in which all the green cruisers were US (no torps) and all the red cruisers were IJN or UK.  Both fleets had 1 DD... green USN, red IJN.  The only thing balanced in this battle were the BBs and the lone CV, a ship for ship match.  Needless to say, things did not go well for the red team.

[SALVO]
Members
9,013 posts
6,716 battles

OP, the option you ask for exists, it is called Ranked. Try it.

• Cool 1

Members
215 posts
10 hours ago, Lynx7386 said:

I had hoped submarines would be the solution to the CV whoring going on out there, but wargaming in their infinite trolldom decided to make carriers practically immune to submarines. everything.

I'm sure the coming of submarines has Protected Favorite status for the flying monkeys baked in just like the rest of the game.

[FORM]
Members
2,417 posts
13,579 battles
10 hours ago, Lynx7386 said:

Please, give me toggle options to only play in same-tier matches, none of this +1/+2 [edited].
Give me toggle options to exclude carriers from matches, while you're at it.  Other ship types too, even.

I"m more than willing to wait an extra 5-10 minutes to get into a match if it means I won't be absolutely [edited] from the get go because wargaming has the worst matchmaker I've ever experienced in an online game.

I hear you, but WG isn't going to ever do that. By making players get up tiered most of the time, they are trying to encourage players to play/grind/spend until they can get the top tier ships. When you're tier 10 you are always top tier (not saying that's more fun, just a fact.) So, the whole mechanic of the game design is to get you to push to get there.

FWIW, at tier 9, during the busy part of the day, you will often get all 9 matches. And you're often top tier. Personally I consider it the sweet spot in the game, and there are also no CVs.

But you've either got to learn to be up tiered - and this game is a HELLUVA lot better about it than their first game, World of Tanks. In WoT there were times you could not in any way damage higher tier tanks. But here, you can always impact a battle. Obviously you impact it more when top tier, but if you improve and learn some of the more subtle aspects of the game, you can do VERY well being up tiered. And actually you earn more XP & credits when you're up tiered too. 

Anyway... I feel ya, but the game won't be changing. If you really enjoyed the low tier matches, maybe just stay there? Some folks do that... thousands and thousands of matches in tiers 1-3. I find it boring personally, and enjoy all the complications of higher tier, but nothing in the game forces someone to stop playing low tier.

• Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
34,370 posts
10,591 battles
14 hours ago, Lynx7386 said:

One reason is trying not to split the queues up too much.

That "skill based matchmaking for X games" you mention, often comes with bots. (it's not really skill based, it's based on gameplay experience.)

Perhaps you might be willing to wait 5-10 minutes, (consider that the average match only lasts 12) but I don't think that many others would be. The matchups aren't that bad.

Another issue is that, if it's to be done universally and permanently, eventually everybody will normalise towards the center. You'll end up with like 3 players each in the best and worst categories, and most of the players in the middle.

[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Members
323 posts
4,459 battles
9 hours ago, TheArc said:

By making players get up tiered most of the time, they are trying to encourage players to play

This 

[SOFOP]
Members
2,537 posts
15,911 battles
19 hours ago, Lynx7386 said:

You haven't played subs on the latest test have you?

Pings set off automatic DCP.  DCP clears pings.  DCP lasts 60 seconds with a 15 second cooldown.

Not only does that mean the sub torps can't really cause any flooding or damage modules (which is about all they're good for even against other ship types), it means that they lose the guided torpedo feature, and they lose the torpedo citadel damage boost from double pings (because you just can't get pings to stick on a carrier).

Good luck destroying a 50k+ hp carrier with torpedoes that deal less than 3k damage a pop and have no guidance, from a boat that can be deleted instantly by a good depth charge run.

Played it and had no real trouble killing CVs, even with their snowflake rules on DCP.  You do know you can land torpedoes without homing.....right?  You do know sub torps reload fairly fast, right?  You do know the CV can't hurt you or even see you when submerged...right?

Just didn't seem that hard and honestly, I'm average at best with landing tops and using subs.

[AC1]
Members
246 posts
380 battles
27 minutes ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Played it and had no real trouble killing CVs, even with their snowflake rules on DCP.  You do know you can land torpedoes without homing.....right?  You do know sub torps reload fairly fast, right?  You do know the CV can't hurt you or even see you when submerged...right?

Just didn't seem that hard and honestly, I'm average at best with landing tops and using subs.

Sorry if I don't take your word for it, because that hasn't been my experience with them at all.  It's hard enough running down a CV in a destroyer and taking it out with torps, and in every case so far submarine torps are weaker than DD torps.

Retired WoWS Community Contributors
12,923 posts
11,144 battles
23 hours ago, Lynx7386 said:

I can see it now.

Battleship Players: 

tHyVQwF.png

Destroyer Players:

Kh7IbL9.png

Quickly followed by threads of:  "This is a dead game.  There's no one in queue."

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2
  • Haha 1

[BIG_E]
Members
227 posts
3,458 battles

I do agree with a MM rework since there has been instances where i've been uptiered to T9 in a T6 Carrier. while i stopped playing carriers after awhile, it's not fun when all of your planes get shot down faster than blinking, but that's just me.