You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Igiby100

Worth it? Or overcompensated for getting SAP?

8 comments in this topic

Members
103 posts
1,170 battles

I see these ships as having potential. However, they seem to be over-compensated for having SAP. Bad reload, bad accuracy, bad armor, bad range, bad AA, on and on and on. Are they worth it?

[PVE]
Members
11,153 posts
19,431 battles

They can be, if you know when to use and where to aim with SAP.

[RLGN]
Members
16,590 posts
28,974 battles
1 hour ago, Sovereigndawg said:

They can be, if you know when to use and where to aim with SAP.

Ersatz Gangut (Alighieri?) at T4 is a blast, though it can’t be used for dailies.

I’ve liked Andrea Doria, but pretty much just use AP, (to me SAP is a waste of time.)

CC is apparently good, (gasp, shock, who woulda thunk it,) but, not gonna waste my time getting it.

[HFC]
Members
244 posts
2,192 battles

The historical designs of the Veneto and additional developmental Italian BB designs are really excellent on paper (armor, guns, speed), probably because for one they were never really required to have the range or self sufficiency that the Americans, Japanese or British BBs needed. You get some of that in the game plus really good handling.

But you are correct, the flavor that has been added to the line is potentially very powerful SAP shells that have higher than HE penetration -- even higher than AP damage. They also have (carryover from Roma and historical Italian gun design) high velocity AP shells which have ridiculously good penetration (possibly too good penetration - as its most useful at long range, and the main guns have mediocre range and questionable accuracy).

So as you said, in return they get relatively bad accuracy, short but adequate range (somewhat made up for with Sansonetti in some situations), slower than average main gun reload, armor that is good at protection from HE but fails at preventing citadels on broadside shots (although I recently saw the MP shrug off some intense broadside AP without cits... 25mm turtleback??), bad continuous AA dmg, and really bad secondaries with slow reload and short range (the numerous 90mm in particular only pen 15mm). 

The SAP shells I find can be good but not crushing. You need to have a lot of guns to offset the bad accuracy. If they hit a heavily armored area, they shatter, and that happens a lot against BBs, especially those with big heavily armored frontal gun mounts (Lenin, etc). I'm not sure its worth all the trade offs for that SAP. I have another post where I compare Roma and Marco Polo on these points.

The line also doesn't do well against DDs. For some reason the SAP dmg is capped at 10% against DDs, like AP overpenetrations. Personally I think the constellation of traits these SAP BBs have - without the option of HE shells to disable DD torps, with bad secondaries which don't deter DDs, short main gun range requiring moving in closer, and with slow main gun reload meaning likely misses are even more costly, makes the ships very vulnerable to DD attack.

That said, if you get the right situation, slapping for 15-20k dmg in a single SAP salvo can be pretty satisfying. It just sucks that since cit strikes are nerfed into RNG land these days (ala the high pen AP shells), you also have to RNG pray for the right dispersion to land the good SAP shots. So they are RNG boats.

That said, recently it seems the Italian BBs have slightly better dispersion than they had a few months ago, which helps, but that could just be me.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,180 posts
8,412 battles

No it's not worth the grind. I liked them up until T7 then after that when a line is supposed to excel at t8-10 they stink. Worst line I've ever ground not even remotely anticipating the DD line.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,324 posts
8,518 battles
On 6/28/2021 at 3:33 PM, Igiby100 said:

I see these ships as having potential. However, they seem to be over-compensated for having SAP. Bad reload, bad accuracy, bad armor, bad range, bad AA, on and on and on. Are they worth it?

When the SAP works it's really cancerous to people who get hit by it, especially cruisers. But when it doesn't work, the ships feel awful to play.

In other words it's a very WG sort of balance.

Worth it? Probably not till WG compensates them better.

[IHW]
Members
11 posts
5,281 battles

They do pay a very steep price in other categories for SAP. To be honest I don’t use SAP 80% of the time, I prefer the AP’s reliability. Too many shatters against armored portions with the wonky spread.

One major improvement I could think of is to give the almost useless 90mm secondaries festooning several of the ships SAP shells themselves. The fire chance for them is stupid low anyway. This would give them just enough penetration to threaten DD’s and some superstructure portions on other ships.

Outside of that maybe a minor reload or sigma buff. Definitely not both.

Update: Well since Napoli has secondaries with SAP, there goes any chance of seeing them on tech tree ships. It’s a selling point now.

Edited by Halcion

[4-FUN]
Members
24 posts
19,750 battles

This is probably the worst line of ships for any ship type or nation, the worst of the worst.  Without even getting into my own experience Wow acknowledges in their own summary of the ship that it has slow loading, low accuracy, short range main guns.....nice.  So wth are you suppose to do in this ship, be the piñata for your team?  Here's a great advantage called out, the ship has decent armor.....even better so you can die a slow miserable death,  and never want to play the game again.  Don't be a sucker for the SAP or smoke baloney, again if you can't hit anything doesn't matter what the heck shell type you have.  I have suffered up through T8, completely stopped playing the ship, when I noticed I only had about 10k in points to get the T9 I figured what the heck I'll play it again which happened to be after the latest patch/upgrade, figured they gotta give this ship some help.  I tried it again for about 3 matches, ....nope, ship still stinks, and I man bad!  And I am still sitting at T8, still couldn't earn 10k with all the flags and bonus perks loaded in three matches.  I happen to have all the BB lines, so can afford to waste my time on this line.  I would not touch this line until you have are all your other ship lines maxed out and I mean BB, Cruisers ,DDs, subs ,CVs...everything.  Good luck.

Edited by TP152