Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Target_1

New Mexico... is it just me, or does this ship suck?

34 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

35
[-TSM-]
Members
73 posts
7,562 battles

Well, the title says it... I generally do pretty well with BBs... I've made the trip as far at tier 10 in the german line and tier 8s in japanese and american BBs... I got the New Mex again just for funsies... but for the life of me, I can't get a good game out of the thing.

I've got the commander skill that shortens burn time by 15% and the damage control mod that helps reduce fire chances and all... but it seems to catch fire with almost every HE hit... and it only stops burning after an insane amount of time.

 

What gives?  Is the New Mex infected with some nerf I'm not aware of?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,179
[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,233 posts
4,348 battles

Fire burn duration is the same on every BB. 60 sec base. Your fire duration should be about 40 sec with those skills.

Your issue might be lack of fire protection. Reduces fire chance by 10% and reduces number of fires from 4 to 3. But it's effect is much greater as it does this by reducing the number of superstructure fires possible from 2 to 1. As this is the easiest part to hit only allowing one fire at a time there practically reduces the chances of getting a second fire on the ship by a lot. What you might be experiencing is getting hit for multiple fires, especially if your uptiered where you have much less fire resistance (lower chance of catching fire) compared to higher tier ships, even though you're seeing the same high DPM fire starting cruisers.

But no, NM hasn't been touched by the balance team in quite a while if I'm not forgetting something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,012
[WOLFG]
Members
13,270 posts
12,537 battles
3 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Fire burn duration is the same on every BB. 60 sec base. Your fire duration should be about 40 sec with those skills.

Your issue might be lack of fire protection. Reduces fire chance by 10% and reduces number of fires from 4 to 3. But it's effect is much greater as it does this by reducing the number of superstructure fires possible from 2 to 1. As this is the easiest part to hit only allowing one fire at a time there practically reduces the chances of getting a second fire on the ship by a lot. What you might be experiencing is getting hit for multiple fires, especially if your uptiered where you have much less fire resistance (lower chance of catching fire) compared to higher tier ships, even though you're seeing the same high DPM fire starting cruisers.

But no, NM hasn't been touched by the balance team in quite a while if I'm not forgetting something.

Another thing to note is NM is slooooooow.  If you get in he spam, you stay in he spam.  With slow reloading and not very accurate guns, you often can't do much about it.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,410
[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,475 posts
4,774 battles

It's you.  ;-)

To me New Mexico is a gudbote.  Of course, there are a number of people that hate the slow USN Standards and will tell you otherwise.  But if you can get past the plodding, juggernaut style of play, you've got a tank with lots of big guns.  She's pretty agile, too, though zig-zagging slows her down when she has someplace to be.  If she can get in close, she's very dangerous indeed.

Go full tank build.  MAM1 (or DCPM1 special), DCSM1, MBM2 (dispersion at long range is not great so APRM1 is not the top of my list), and DCSM2.  BoS and FP skills.

Try her out in Operation Aegis.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 4
  • Meh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
232
[GAMMA]
Members
886 posts
16,736 battles
33 minutes ago, Target_1 said:

New Mexico... is it just me, or does this ship suck?

Last time I play it, I actually rather liked it. Its slow, but you can do consistent damage with it, even in stock form. Guns are sorta like shotguns, but you have a lot of them. Armor's pretty good at protecting your vitals... Then again I kinda like the US standard type BBs at least at tiers 5-6... I think it might just be you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,780
[CLUMP]
Members
2,051 posts
2,424 battles

For me yes it sucks for a ship that has 9 guns missing most of the time with that horrible dispersion yes it does :Smile_sceptic:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,016
[SYN]
Members
15,993 posts
12,803 battles

The skill floor with slow BBs is high, and requires very good positioning to compensate.

But there are worse BBs at T6

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35
[-TSM-]
Members
73 posts
7,562 battles

I'd be hard put to think of a worse tier 6... most of them are rather like-able.  Fuso, Izzy, QE, Normandie, Bayern, Andria Doria  I like those ships and do well with them

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,014
[WOLFG]
Members
34,350 posts
10,591 battles
16 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

For me yes it sucks for a ship that has 9 guns missing most of the time with that horrible dispersion yes it does :Smile_sceptic:

If you have 9 guns on a New Mexico, you've lost a turret lol.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,780
[CLUMP]
Members
2,051 posts
2,424 battles
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

If you have 9 guns on a New Mexico, you've lost a turret lol.

The point is the guns suck regardless of how many it has :Smile_sceptic: Yes you are right it does have 4 turrets 3 guns per turret but still the dispersion is freaking horrible :fish_palm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,120
[G-O-W]
Members
1,099 posts
3,207 battles
23 minutes ago, LastRemnant said:

For me yes it sucks for a ship that has 9 guns missing most of the time with that horrible dispersion yes it does :Smile_sceptic:

I've had 100s of games in the NM but it's accuracy is beyond comical.. It's secondary guns are even worse. It's completely missed stationary, side on battleships at medium-close range more times than I want to remember with full broadsides...

 

 It has ok armour and AA tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
69
[PUMA]
Members
188 posts
11,488 battles

It is slow, and it has thin armor and so so gun.

T7 C.O. has big guns but still slow and has thin armor, you will still have to suffer.

Wait until you get T8 N.C. that is a really nice boat.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,382
[GWG]
Members
7,740 posts
14,773 battles

You are using the German experience to guide your US Battleship habit....
Stop it.

New Mexico IS NOT a brawler.  The cruisers will light you up and keep you burning.

It's got decent main guns over 10KM.  You need to stay back and choose your targets.  The slow speed is a blessing.  Capping is not an option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
84
[CNM88]
Members
29 posts
6,881 battles

NY and NM were probably the worst BB experiences I've had to play.  The british and russian equivalents are far more enjoyable.  I'm in agreement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,780
[CLUMP]
Members
2,051 posts
2,424 battles
49 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

I've had 100s of games in the NM but it's accuracy is beyond comical.. It's secondary guns are even worse. It's completely missed stationary, side on battleships at medium-close range more times than I want to remember with full broadsides...

 

 It has ok armour and AA tho.

 

I have a Kongo I would miss less with it than I did with New Mexico obvious its not me :fish_palm: Now do I have perfect aim no but  I would hit ships far better with the Kongo than ever did with New Mexico :Smile_hiding:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15
[MI-BR]
Members
53 posts

It's all I have after grinding up the US line. Very good bruiser for coop credit farming (I am 435/490 battles won). I invested a million for Propulsion Modification 1, and always fly the Sierra Mike flag (+5% speed) but slowness and shotgun a disadvantage in Random (I am 24/44). It got me to bronze rank 6 last season (14/26 victories). A decent credit farmer for battle of Newport.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,864
[CYPHR]
Alpha Tester, Members, Beta Testers
3,972 posts
21,639 battles
4 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Another thing to note is NM is slooooooow.  If you get in he spam, you stay in he spam.  With slow reloading and not very accurate guns, you often can't do much about it.

what are you smoking?

I have no issues blapping stuff from existence with new mex.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20
[-DZ-]
Members
176 posts
13,209 battles

I've always liked the New Mexico. It suffers from lower-tier BB dispersion, but can be a great boat. It's always fun hunting down DDs with it when they make the mistake of showing themselves trying to get in a torpedo attack. Whether it's because I'm a fantastic aim (not really) or if they were just monumentally unlucky to steer into my errant shots (more likely), I've sunk numerous DDs trying to take out such a juicy target.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,120
[G-O-W]
Members
1,099 posts
3,207 battles
1 hour ago, AVR_Project said:

You are using the German experience to guide your US Battleship habit....
Stop it.

New Mexico IS NOT a brawler.  The cruisers will light you up and keep you burning.

It's got decent main guns over 10KM.  You need to stay back and choose your targets.  The slow speed is a blessing.  Capping is not an option.

I disagree, it won't brawl with heavy hitters but it will be a match for all other tier 6 BBs when angled. Much stronger armour than Japanese and Euro equivalents also find it's long range accuracy to be terrible at anything over 12k. Even when it's shells hit they usually bounce or just hit the useless torpedo armour. Cruiser fire spam is a issue and the NM lights up like a bonfire for every second HE hit but as long as none of the fire wagons are close it can be fun.

 

Also had ultra fast games in which I've never fired a shot as the NM was too slow to get to the dynamic, fast paced action in the bigger maps..😕

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,120
[RLGN]
Members
16,603 posts
29,022 battles
2 hours ago, LastRemnant said:

The point is the guns suck regardless of how many it has :Smile_sceptic: Yes you are right it does have 4 turrets 3 guns per turret but still the dispersion is freaking horrible :fish_palm:

Never had trouble with that, but may have just learned to deal with shotgun dispersion with Wyoming.

2 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

I've had 100s of games in the NM but it's accuracy is beyond comical.. It's secondary guns are even worse.

My captain on New Mexico has a secondary build. After the sad six guns of New York, NM has plenty of secondaries.

For that matter, my South Carolina has a secondary build.

2 hours ago, TYPHOON0216 said:

It is slow, and it has thin armor and so so gun.

T7 C.O. has big guns but still slow and has thin armor, you will still have to suffer.

Wait until you get T8 N.C. that is a really nice boat.

Except I’ve never liked NC; too squishy.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
156
[P2W]
Members
614 posts
7,797 battles

It is a victim of power creep, it was borderline weak when it was just the IJN and USN lines, but now its pitiful. Don't expect any of the original lines to be buffed to offset the power creep, they have long been forgotten.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
591 posts
5,040 battles

This ship was good to me when I sailed her. Had to be careful not to get stuck on the sides of the map, though, because you'll have nothing to shoot at for the remaining 15 minutes of the game (too slow to rejoin the action). Play from a centralized position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
242 posts
2,836 battles

Play enough rounds in standards and you'll get used to it. It's been a very long time since I've had a NM but i play my TX daily and enjoy the heck out of it, even if MM has been giving me the shaft lately in it placing me on blowout teams. The key is to place your shots carefully, and be smart with your positioning. The guns are perfect for medium range. Always stay with your teammates(if you can keep up with em) and blow unsuspecting ships out of the water when they lift their skirt. It's perfectly fine for brawling, and although it does soak up damage at range, up close it's like a giant boulder that just keeps coming no matter how much you through at it. 

After having a Fuso and Bayern, I can understand how the gameplay for those can come off as much more enjoyable to play-and they somewhat are. They're ships that you work to make them perform but are straightforward, but NM is just a little more of a circumstance type ship. When in the right one, it really shines. How you get to that and how it ends up is up to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,277
[CAAT]
Members
2,245 posts
5,171 battles
11 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

Another thing to note is NM is slooooooow.  If you get in he spam, you stay in he spam.  With slow reloading and not very accurate guns, you often can't do much about it.

I'm used to it in California. Hilarious thing is, I'm so used to California, that playing in New Mexico is completely comfortable to me (and in a similar vein, Main Bat Mod 3 Minnesota) XD Their playstyles are immensely similar, though. Cali really is just an accurate, longer-ranged New Mexico with great AA, ultimately. Although I think New Mexico randomly has more torpedo protection and slightly better firing arcs....

That said, New Mexico is a great ship, IF you're used to the Standard Type battleship speed and playstyle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
486
[GOCRY]
Members
1,004 posts

After reading this thread, I had to go back and play a game in my New Mexico.  It was really good back in the day, and I loved mine!  Surely power creep can't have been that hard on her?  I haven't played her in a long time though (I usually play WV41 or Arizona if I'm going to play a T6 American BB).  See the result below.  I was top of the team as a bottom tier ship.  She seems to be doing just fine.  30% accuracy on the main battery guns.  I had to get in close for that though.  My first salvo, at 14'ish km was very spread out.  But like 457th said, it's a boulder that just keeps rolling.

New Mexico 6-29-21 Detailed Report.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×