You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Argus

Coping With Bow On Ships Can Be Frustrating So Let's Get Some Tips On How To Overcome This!

29 comments in this topic

[AKITA]
Members
396 posts

You see it all the time, that Petro, Kremlin, Yamato or some other ship that is bow on and tanking, while his team is pecking away at you. It can be highly frustrating for many players that don't understand how to deal with this sort of tactic. The age old normal response from most people, is to just use HE shells to do a little damage, and set them on fire. Although this does work, it can be a slow process as ships like Kremlin have high health and good mechanics for putting out the fires. In the time it takes them to essentially burn out, half the game is over. 

So let's find some tactics for dealing with bow on ships. Input is highly encouraged if you are a seasoned Captain!!

One way to deal with these ships is communication with your team! While this can sometimes be difficult with the mentality of some players who are only out for themselves, it can't hurt to ask a DD on your team to come around and throw torps at the bow on target. This may force the target to move to avoid the torps, thus showing his broadside or moving out of his defensive position. 

Flanking is another great tactic. If you see a bow on ship that is frustrating your team member, try to move around the map to be able to fire on them from a different angle. Once they start taking fire, they will have to move or be vulnerable to not only the ships they are bow on tanking, but whoever is shooting at them from across the map. 

HE shells are still good for setting fires and some ships have SAP now that can be effective for taking chunks of health off a bow on ship. If using these, remember to aim at the superstructure, which is basically the part of the ship above the hull, between the gun turrets. On most ships it's the less armored part of the ship. 

Another tactic for bow on ships is to just ignore them for a more favorable target. If your shots are bouncing or doing paltry damage, then your not really helping your team. In this case, if you see a juicier target that you can score damage on, turn your guns in their direction. While this doesn't get rid of the bow on ship, at least your contributing. I've seen people sit there for 5 minutes just shooting at a bow on BB and doing hardly any damage. That ship is doing exactly what it intended by keeping you out of the game because your focusing on him but not doing enough damage to help your team.  

CHARGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally for me, charging or ramming the bow on ship may be a good tactic depending on how much game is left, your ships health and the position of the enemy on the map. Many decisions need to be considered before you charge or ram a ship. Don't be that guy/girl that charges when it is not really necessary. If your ships has defensive torps and his does not, this could be a great tactic as you could come up beside him and use gun and torps both to get the killing blow. If he has torps and you do not, then obviously charging may not be a great idea. Also, don't sacrifice yourself by ramming if there is plenty of game left as you could be more beneficial to the team by staying alive. 

If you have some insight for dealing with these situations, feel free to chime in and help those out that find these situations difficult to handle. 

• Thanks 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[NONE]
Members
4,027 posts
12,424 battles

If you can't overmatch the bow armor with AP and you're taking fire, disengage and reposition.

If you can overmatch, aim between the waterline and the base of the first turret, or for a Yammie slightly off-center to hit the cheek spot.

• Cool 3

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,935 posts
22,995 battles

Entirely situational tbh. Some ships like seeing a bow-in opponent because farming campers is their whole jam (think Smolensk or Goliath).

[SALVO]
Members
8,996 posts
6,709 battles

I don't understand why you need to cope with breaking your teeth against a wall... you just don't need to...

Either you have the tools to punish them (mostly in the form of strong HE) in which case you are happy they are stuck bow on and proceed to farm them, or you don't have the tools to deliver reliable damage in which case you don't engage them and proceed to do something more useful.

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
3,805 posts
31,131 battles

If knocking out their turrets is an option, do it.  If not, kite away and try to draw them into a crossfire.

Edited by HamptonRoads

[USRUS]
[USRUS]
Members
1,778 posts
22,310 battles

If you keep getting stuck bow in, you're positioning wrong. 

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
6,604 posts
10,993 battles

Favorite CV targets too

• Boring 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,075 posts
22,332 battles
1 hour ago, ArIskandir said:

Either you have the tools to punish them (mostly in the form of strong HE) in which case you are happy they are stuck bow on and proceed to farm them, or you don't have the tools to deliver reliable damage in which case you don't engage them and proceed to do something more useful.

^

The Dutch cruisers will have another tool to help deal with them. Had a whole argument with someone about 'good' or 'bad' gameplay. He eventually resorted to 'But someone has to hold the flank when nobody else will!' - he went really quiet after I replied 'And someone has to dislodge them, too'.

Edited by Lert
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[KWF]
Members
6,570 posts
7,187 battles

Fire HE at the superstructure first. 2 fire locations are situated there. After opponent uses Damage Control Party, try to get one from the superstructure, then shift aim first to bow, then to stern.

You can do this in every ship, though with bowtanking ships you have to only worry about the Y axis .ie your elevation.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,350 posts
10,591 battles

AP against the superstructure works, if you have the accuracy, just drop them in behind B turret.

Or just ping them for your CV. Most CVs just love easy targets. (especially now that DDs have dropped down the priority list)

I know in Ranked Bronze, I find it immensely satisfying to slam torps and AP bombs (and starting fires with rockets) into a stationary/reversing Sinop, that is holding up our team.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,824 posts
24,356 battles

Ap to superstructure. 

HE bow or superstructure. 

A Kremlin only has a few damage control parties so burning them up is helpful for the team.

However,  if your trading hp isn't to your advantage, disengage go dark and reposition.

[TSG4]
Volunteer Moderator, Privateers
3,495 posts
18,131 battles

if your team have SAP, this is really good at dealing with bow-on.

ask your entire team to focus fire

If just a general HE/AP, i would suggest the following:

1- try to get the HP down to or equivalent or less than your original ship HP

2- look at the mini map to see other enemy that you can punish/any target of opportunities

3- Once this done, you RAM the bow-on ship. You done enough dam to other ships, you can kill the bow-on at the mere same time so that this ship will no longer taking all the attention. Your team can pick off other damaged ships

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Members
375 posts
5,504 battles

Bow tanking is rarely a viable strategy...it just means being a sitting duck to HE and AP pens through the superstructure...not to mention CVs and torps...It's not hard to deal with at all...If it was then there would be a lot of GK and Kremlin being played...It certainly can be situationally good...especially in small scale pvp...but overall its a great way to get sunk fast in most cases...

Edited by Almedius
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
3,664 posts
7,530 battles

Ohh The most powerful and reasonable response can be summed up with:

10 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

How I deal with em?

fire.gif

- The second best is torps . Though these guys tend to sit outside torp range because if they sit in torp range they die fast to torpedoes. 

- Counter snipe!  Someone likes to snipe at you? then snipe back preferably with bigger guns. 

- huge tip to most everyone that isn’t purple or  knows this. I give this tip because far too many of you die in BB brawls with me when I do this:  USE AP on bow in BBs if they are below 16km range , aim just above the B turret.  Way too many BBs die to me in BB brawls because they insist on using HE. 

First off all BBs have conning towers right behind the B turret. Which yields full pens! Second unless they are 8 km or closer there is a good chance one or two rounds will drop below the super structure and full pen the ship. 
Hell even try the bow to see if you can get full pens or even a citadel there. 

counter cam

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,906 posts

Ram flag.

clean up the mess by scraping the hull on enemy number two.

[THICC]
Beta Testers
1,109 posts
7,280 battles

Shoot them with fire.  They will take large amounts of damage from the fire as it does damage based on ship HP percentage.  You could also charge them around a corner and torpedo them, they cannot reverse very quickly.

[FOXY]
Members
2,566 posts
7,729 battles
4 hours ago, LuckyStarFan said:

Shoot them with fire.  They will take large amounts of damage from the fire as it does damage based on ship HP percentage.  You could also charge them around a corner and torpedo them, they cannot reverse very quickly.

I did this in my Saint Louis against a Thunderer. Reload booster + torpedoes = dead Thunderer, i got a surprise though, behind the Island was the Audacious and i sank that too. Was a good match. Doubt ill beat that matches exp ever.

[D-H-O]
-Members-
4,756 posts
16,244 battles
9 hours ago, eviltane said:

- huge tip to most everyone that isn’t purple or  knows this. I give this tip because far too many of you die in BB brawls with me when I do this:  USE AP on bow in BBs if they are below 16km range , aim just above the B turret.  Way too many BBs die to me in BB brawls because they insist on using HE. 

^^^^THIS, all day this!

Often times I see BB vs BB interactions when one is bow in go very wrong...  Dropping AP into the #2 turret (I mean aiming, not necessarily shooting at it because you will drop either into the superstructure or deck depending). But yes!

Keep in mind my advice is because I mostly play DDs so ya, daka daka.

-Hapa