Capt_Ahab1776

Life boats

18 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,159 posts
20,058 battles

Don’t know if anyone has paid a lot of attention to them secured onto ships in game. They sometimes blend into the architecture of the superstructure of the ships or lashed onto turrets depending on if they are actual boats or big rectangle rafts. Some are actually quite fancy looking. Like it makes me think “Yeah I wish I had that on the lake or in a marina on the beach. Could go pleasure cruising or fishing out of that quiet easy.” WG art department is second to none. I’ve always felt that way, it’s one of their strong suits.

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
6,722 posts
20,715 battles

Those boats would not be there on a ship cleared for action but the  ships are generally shown as they would look in peacetime. The rafts would be present,

900164683_landingguns.PNG.42de60dab10b5c8e915b7c7f5fe4df3d.PNG

For cool stuff on ship models. find the landing guns on the St. Louis (US T3 cruiser)

Edited by Sabot_100
  • Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,159 posts
20,058 battles
12 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Those boats would not be there on a ship cleared for action but the  ships are generally shown as they would look in peacetime. The rafts would be present,

For cool stuff on ship models. find the landing guns on the St. Louis (US T3 cruiser)

Or right next to the lifeboats on the Bourgogne is the placard DISCIPLINE lol

Bourgogne's lifeboats.jpg

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,066 posts
22,298 battles

Those 'fancy' bats aren't lifeboats, btw. Too involved to launch them during action, sometimes they obscure gun traverse angles, and any hit on the ship would splinter them into uselessness, with the splinters becoming debris that's actually hazardous to the crew. As said before, these are peace time use boats for crew transferral, mail, etc.

Members
2,185 posts
6,543 battles

So this picture of the Tirpitz life boats in 1942 after being hit with a tall boy bomb is not wartime configuration??

Tripitz.thumb.jpg.34ec591ccac10ff9ac7c22120064d0e6.jpg

[CVA16]
Members
6,722 posts
20,715 battles
Just now, Raven114 said:

So this picture of the Tirpitz life boats in 1942 after being hit with a tall boy bomb is not wartime configuration??

Well, she was in port, not cleared for  or expecting action.

Members
2,185 posts
6,543 battles

In this photo they are in a Swedish Fjord anchorage, expecting to be hit by the RAF any moment. So I think they are expecting Action!!

[CVA16]
Members
6,722 posts
20,715 battles
3 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

In this photo they are in a Swedish Fjord anchorage, expecting to be hit by the RAF any moment. So I think they are expecting Action!!

Norwegian Fjord which they thought would keep her safe from air attack. Did the Bismarck have her boats on her last voyage?

[TFLT]
[TFLT]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
821 posts

Yep, mostly harbor boats.  Used for ferrying sailors and supplies.  Removed for combat operations.  If hit with explosive shells they just turn into shrapnel.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,066 posts
22,298 battles
2 hours ago, Raven114 said:

K.

Your point?

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,159 posts
20,058 battles

To be honest I didn’t know. I can see the points about the boats being  hazard in a combat situation. Just seen them in game. In port and in matches. I know the game is a retro into the past, just not only the combat ships themselves but also the life boats, ferry boats, mail boats was retro as well. 😎

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[GWG]
Members
7,735 posts
14,754 battles
5 hours ago, Raven114 said:

Tripitz.thumb.jpg.34ec591ccac10ff9ac7c22120064d0e6.jpg

'Tallboys' weren't around until 1944.  This hit was actually post D-Day landings.
It's amazing where you can go with Google-Earth...
LOOK AT THOSE TALLBOY CRATERS !!!!!   Even now, 60 years later !!!
Tirpitz - Google Maps

[CVA16]
Members
6,722 posts
20,715 battles
3 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Just seen them in game. In port and in matches

WG doesn't change the ship model for port and combat, Ships would not be (intentionally) going into combat with gassed up float planes onboard either (just asking for a major fire) but planes are shown on any ship with useable planes. 

Battle of Savo Island the IJN launched (and used) their planes prior to enemy contact. The surprised US cruisers still had them aboard with deadlly results when the shooting started.

In WGs universe, such things have no effect on combat or flammability (except when they try to use the presence of boats to block firing angles). Things that would decimate exposed crew are completely ignored.

AA gunners on the Yamato had to vacate the deck when those big guns fired (which is why  many of the original AA guns are completely enclosed). The muzzle blast was that devastating.

Ever wonder what an exploding HE shell would do to all those crowded gun crews on the aft end of the Okhotnik? The guns might not be destroyed but there would be no one to man them.

All that is (thankfully) not included in the game. The  nod to having (pixel) humans manning these pixel ships is the occasional parachute floating down.

Edited by Sabot_100

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,159 posts
20,058 battles
14 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

WG doesn't change the ship model for port and combat, Ships would not be (intentionally) going into combat with gassed up float planes onboard either (just asking for a major fire) but planes are shown on any ship with useable planes. 

Battle of Savo Island the IJN launched (and used) theirs prior to enemy contact. The surprised US cruisers still had them aboard with deadlly results when the shooting started.

In WGs universe, such things have no effect on combat or flammability (except when they try to use the presence of boats to block firing angles).

Some of the premium ships like the Graf Spee for example one camo has sailors standing on the side of the ship. In a match they are removed.

[CVA16]
Members
6,722 posts
20,715 battles
5 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Some of the premium ships like the Graf Spee for example one camo has sailors standing on the side of the ship. In a match they are removed.

Did not know that. Have to look at mine more closely

Which cammo has crew in port? I do have decorative cammo turned off.

Edited by Sabot_100

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,159 posts
20,058 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

Which cammo has crew in port? I do have decorative cammo turned off.

The default KM premium ship camo for the Odin, Graf Spee, and ZF-6. I would almost suspect the Tirpitz may have this too. I don't have the Tirpitz so I can't be for sure.

Odin.jpg

Graf Spee.jpg

ZF-6.jpg

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[CVA16]
Members
6,722 posts
20,715 battles
12 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

The default KM premium ship camo for the Odin, Graf Spee, and ZF-6. I would almost suspect the Tirpitz may have this too. I don't have the Tirpitz so I can't be for sure.

Now I see. Its on the back (port) side of the ship. I can see why those have to disappear in battle.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,159 posts
20,058 battles

Was looking at my Benham and looked at the alternate perma camo. The Masters Of The Waterworld camo has 1969 Ford Mustang fast backs for boats lol

31EA949A-EBE8-4D90-AB7C-334FAD817A66.jpeg

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this