You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Nimitz_Zumwalt

Italian battleship

21 comments in this topic

Members
156 posts
6,751 battles

I'm thinking to finish the italian bb line since I only have t4-t6 during the event.Are they worth the time grinding them coz I only see few or rarely high tier italian bb in random.

Members
4,254 posts
14,998 battles

I dont think they are. Or at least I was highly disappointed by them. I know some people can get them to work out as strong dmg dealers. But it's the only cruiser or BB line I dont think the grind is worth it overall. At least the slow USN BBs had the Vermont. 

They dont seem fit for the competitive meta either. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,814 posts
24,299 battles

There are a few good ones in the line.

T4 is good.

T9 is like an Iowa.

T10 has devastating SAP, but eats damage like it's made from butter.

• Cool 1

[VIGIL]
Members
385 posts

I enjoy them. I’ve had some great games in Colombo, and if you’re stuck kiting at all, you can really get them thinking twice as they’re choking on SAP. 

Members
92 posts
3,437 battles
1 hour ago, Nimitz_Zumwalt said:

I'm thinking to finish the italian bb line since I only have t4-t6 during the event.Are they worth the time grinding them coz I only see few or rarely high tier italian bb in random.

Originaly i went down the italian BB line because they were anoying to fight against because of how trolly i found their armor, as well as the italin BB resistance to HE which also might include SAP resistance, what killed the line for me was the garbage accuracy, it's not a good feeling when you can't trust your shell's to hit even a broadside target at less then 13km, hell i've missed DD's at point blank range(5km or below) even though all evidence pointed towards a well aimed shot that SHOULD have paddled said DD. 

In the current META of hunker down and snipe range means a lot, which the italian BB's don't have, accuracy is also important, and the italian BB''s don't have it either, most salvoes have shell's each with their own post code, the SAP however CAN do some very nasty things if you smack the superstructure of BB's, and cruisers REALLY don't like SAP, have done the kind of damage in one salvo that you'd do in a lot's of pens but no cit salvoes against broadsides on targets that were running away by hammering the superstructure, but it's not consistent and down to favorable RNG and the SAP on the BB's is barely better in terms of damage then the AP against DD's which is nonsense, SAP is devastating against DD's on the cruisers, so why is it trash on the BB's? 

Addmitedly have not played many BB's lines, but compared to the sluggish pigs that are IJN BB's or the USN BB's till the NC they felt very maneuverable and like they could respond to a changing situation in a way approaching what a cruiser can, shell velocity starting with the tier 7 is very nice, good enough to be able to hit DD's without a lot of praying at max range... if the guns had a semblance of accuracy which they don't, the smoke at tier 8 is a very nice utility, had matches where it came really clutch for running away from a bad spot, can also use it to provide cover for ships that are in your shadow so to speak, but because of smoke firing penalty on BB's, can't use it to pepper them with lead like you can on the italian cruisers.

Can't comment much on the guns since i'm not very familiar with gun calibers in this game, but they definately weren't as punchy as say the NC's or the IJN guns with their AP, struggled to score citadels in the italian BB's outside of cruisers or broadside soviet BB's in particular(Scored 3 citadels on a Lenin)

Overall i liked the italian BB's, but the accuracy issues killed the line so hard for me, if WG buffed their accuracy so it isn't complete trash i might come back to it, hope this helped and wasn't a mess of a post

[RLGN]
Members
16,585 posts
28,940 battles
1 hour ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

T4 is good.

Call it my Ersatz Gangut. Kind of treat it as such, and it was a blast.

40 minutes ago, Gellurt_T said:

...the SAP however CAN do some very nasty things if you smack the superstructure of BB's, and cruisers REALLY don't like SAP, have done the kind of damage in one salvo that you'd do in a lot's of pens but no cit salvoes against broadsides on targets that were running away by hammering the superstructure, but it's not consistent...

Biggest problem I have with it; even more so than the accuracy issues.

I have a generally good opinion of Andrea Doria, but I basically just use AP. As far as I'm personally concerned, the SAP is worthless.

[USRUS]
[USRUS]
Members
1,773 posts
22,265 battles
2 hours ago, Nimitz_Zumwalt said:

few or rarely high tier italian bb in random.

Because they are trash

[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,280 posts
16,495 battles

Only BB I really didn't like was Cavour...Doria good, T7 good, Vittorio was just fine...and really like the Lepanto.  Your armor is okay at best, but speed, good turret rotation helps out.  Gotta live with the guns though...sometimes, you just nail the bad guy, other times its a shotgun with no hits.  I use AP about 90%, but you can SAP some amazing shots.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,633 posts
26,512 battles

Trash BB Line.  They look fantastic, but they're really turds with whipped cream on top of them.  DD coming after you? LOL good luck!

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Thanks 1

[-VT-]
Members
1,354 posts
30,953 battles

Got to change where you aim when using SAP if you what to get the most out of the line

Did good in the 8 very well in the 9. Ok in the 10, use SAP the majority of the time aim just above the back line.

Edited by vikingno2

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
6,814 posts
24,299 battles
12 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Call it my Ersatz Gangut. Kind of treat it as such, and it was a blast.

Biggest problem I have with it; even more so than the accuracy issues.

I have a generally good opinion of Andrea Doria, but I basically just use AP. As far as I'm personally concerned, the SAP is worthless.

CC my first salvo...

40k....

SAP

[FOXY]
Members
2,564 posts
7,685 battles
1 minute ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

CC my first salvo...

40k....

SAP

to be fair CC is the best ship in the line.

for the F Carac i stopped using SAP after my tenth match, and only used AP. the lack of barrels with the god awful accuracy they have made sap a laughable choice.

Veneto is a bit better, but i only use SAP in rare instances, or long range shots due to the awful accuracy.

I dont have the tier 9 or 10, the Veneto is currently why ive stopped. Lines not fun to play, somehow they made it less fun to play then the US split.

• Funny 1

[OIL-1]
Members
1,903 posts

I started the line just so I would have something to level in Ranked.
Those ships stink.
Short range, long reload, and I swear they've nerfed SAP ammo. Used to get
good damage from it. Now it's like HE with no fires.

Kite away & shoot backwards is all I could do, since most people can't aim well.
If you ever show broadside, expect to lose 90% of your HP.

Finished T7 and I'm not going to get T8.
Have too many good ships than to put up with that mess.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,475 posts
25,784 battles
16 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

T4 is good.

T9 is like an Iowa.

T10 has devastating SAP, but eats damage like it's made from butter.

The T9 is good.  I find the T10, the Colombo can crush.  Even with a poor sigma, 16 guns midrange and closer don't miss.   Don't be fooled by the secondaries.  They are not completely useless, but don't put any points into them.They do get hits, but not for a lot of damage.  They can finish off weakened small ships though.  And the 360 degree rear turrets on the CC are awesome.  Not a lot of waiting for those turrets to swing around.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,863 posts

Columbo offers the turrets to swing through it's pwn center line facing forward to engage on either side quickly.

She can hit but you need to get close. Crit a yammy below the B turrent barbette aft any time.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,633 posts
26,512 battles
1 hour ago, xHeavy said:

Columbo offers the turrets to swing through it's pwn center line facing forward to engage on either side quickly.

She can hit but you need to get close. Crit a yammy below the B turrent barbette aft any time.

It's the only decent ship of the line.  The rest is forgettable at best.  Even CC's features are alien to the rest of her own line.

It's an awful trend WG has been doing with ship lines / line splits ever since the Russian Battleship Line was released.  That was the last ship line that had several good ships spread throughout the line.  Everything else afterwards has been usually 1-2 good ships out of an entire new line, and it's usually the Tier X, maybe IX also.  1-2 decent ships out of a full line is terrible.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-VT-]
Members
1,354 posts
30,953 battles

Lapanto is just fine, so it the tier 8 just play to its strong points

I manage mid 60% in the 8 and the 9, I don't have enough game in the tier ten yet to tell. But I do like the 9 a little better I think due to its conceal

Edited by vikingno2

[USRUS]
[USRUS]
Members
1,773 posts
22,265 battles

As they perform so badly, perhaps WG will un-nerf them in a year.

[HAI]
Members
344 posts

T9 is good

T8 sucks big time, probably the worst T8 BB

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
6,814 posts
24,299 battles
9 hours ago, Princess_Daystar said:

to be fair CC is the best ship in the line.

for the F Carac i stopped using SAP after my tenth match, and only used AP. the lack of barrels with the god awful accuracy they have made sap a laughable choice.

Veneto is a bit better, but i only use SAP in rare instances, or long range shots due to the awful accuracy.

I dont have the tier 9 or 10, the Veneto is currently why ive stopped. Lines not fun to play, somehow they made it less fun to play then the US split.

The tier 9 "feels" like an Iowa with the same tankyness.

The tier 10 is great, whe the guns cooperate. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
6,814 posts
24,299 battles
7 hours ago, kyesac said:

The T9 is good.  I find the T10, the Colombo can crush.  Even with a poor sigma, 16 guns midrange and closer don't miss.   Don't be fooled by the secondaries.  They are not completely useless, but don't put any points into them.They do get hits, but not for a lot of damage.  They can finish off weakened small ships though.  And the 360 degree rear turrets on the CC are awesome.  Not a lot of waiting for those turrets to swing around.

The key is being able to survive getting in close.

She is a sponge for he or sap.