You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
AADusNuffin

Torps bug

21 comments in this topic

[KIA-A]
Members
950 posts
6,396 battles

Has anyone else noticed this issue with torps?

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2

[NYAAR]
Members
2,918 posts
15,555 battles

nope

I haven't experienced this at all, and yes, I have turned while torpedoing a gap between islands.

[PVE]
Members
8,795 posts
25,076 battles
7 hours ago, AADusNuffin said:

Has anyone else noticed this issue with torps?

You mean like the person in the post just 2 below yours on the most recent comments?

Not actually a bug...been that way as long as I've been playing.

Check out my comment in that thread for what I think about anything released by your source.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 2

[WOLFB]
Members
43 posts

Yes, I have experienced this.

Check out Aerroon's testing on this. He found that the problem seems to be when DDs launch torps while turning. He also found that latency makes the problem even worse, with the torps going ever farther away from where you wanted. If you launch torps while your ship is sailing straight they will go where the indicator is telling without any problems though.

• Cool 2

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,485 posts

I don't know how much real-world physics is incorporated into the game engine but objects launched from a moving ship are not going to just travel in a straight line away from the ship as if they were launched from a stationary object, just as bombs don't travel straight down when dropped from planes. The physics become more complex if the ship is rapidly turning as the objects are launched from it too. Have you ever been inner-tubing behind a turning boat and then fallen off the tube?

Edit:

OK, I tested this in the Training Room. It seems that the game does mimic real-world physics to an extent, just as I would wish it to do. Below are torpedoes fired at the same aiming point from a stationary ship and from one that is rapidly turning to the right. The vector of the unguided torpedoes seems to mimic what you would see in real life. There might be some RNG involved too.

image.thumb.png.72c39d174d6a828f0a8aeb9b66d41b13.png

image.thumb.png.60b6e2461e8dda115fc3235c5b62034e.png

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Thanks 1

[VOP]
Members
1,061 posts

I would be more interested in how the bots in coop get their torpedoes to practically stack on/next to one another while ours are spread out like horse sh1t even on narrow spread.

• Funny 1

[-GOD-]
[-GOD-]
Members
1,380 posts
15 minutes ago, Airjellyfish said:

I would be more interested in how the bots in coop get their torpedoes to practically stack on/next to one another while ours are spread out like horse sh1t even on narrow spread.

the hand of stalin guides them

• Cool 1

[-BCO-]
Members
2,923 posts
5,022 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

I don't know how much real-world physics is incorporated into the game engine but objects launched from a moving ship are not going to just travel in a straight line away from the ship as if they were launched from a stationary object, just as bombs don't travel straight down when dropped from planes. The physics become more complex if the ship is rapidly turning as the objects are launched from it too. Have you ever been inner-tubing behind a turning boat and then fallen off the tube?

Edit:

OK, I tested this in the Training Room. It seems that the game does mimic real-world physics to an extent, just as I would wish it to do. Below are torpedoes fired at the same aiming point from a stationary ship and from one that is rapidly turning to the right. The vector of the unguided torpedoes seems to mimics what you would see in real life. There might be some RNG involved too.

Yes. And no it wasn't present before. Since last update, all sort of funny things happen wit the aiming. For example if in zoom/binocular mode the steadiness of the aimed target seems to act differently.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,795 posts
25,076 battles
1 hour ago, Kesh_Lives said:

Oh, look ,someone else reposted Flamu to get more attention for him.  <Yawn>

Uh oh...now you went - offended his groupies...nothing but down votes for you buddy...

Here's an up vote (a funny 1... because even though it's sad for them... it's funny for us) to show them that not everybody is a braindead moron...

6 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

Edit:

OK, I tested this in the Training Room. It seems that the game does mimic real-world physics to an extent, just as I would wish it to do. Below are torpedoes fired at the same aiming point from a stationary ship and from one that is rapidly turning to the right. The vector of the unguided torpedoes seems to mimic what you would see in real life. There might be some RNG involved too.

Exactly... it's an actual bit of "realism" (not that they would launch toros in that sharp if a turn...but that if they did that is what would happen) & contrary to all the recent hubbub by the unaware...

2 hours ago, Bandi73 said:

Yes. And no it wasn't present before. Since last update, all sort of funny things happen wit the aiming. For example if in zoom/binocular mode the steadiness of the aimed target seems to act differently.

Yes...it has been in the game for years...

But why did you even say that while quoting Snarg...he never said anything about that yet you're correcting him just because he pointed out the actual realism of it...

It shouldn't be removed just because 1 troll is pretending like he just now discovered it... he's known it's been a thing & just now realized he can try to exploit it.

Have you never noticed that sometimes torps coming for you spread out in a perfect fan & others seem to spread out with a gap in 1 side of the spread opening up 1st & they need to travel a bit before the other side starts to spread out?

If you haven't you haven't been playing WOWS because that happens all the time...& this realistic "feature" is why.

For all those that want more realism in the game it's been there for years & now everybody wants it removed because a troll posted a whine thread about it for clicks.

FYI... it's not just torps... it's main batteries too...you just don't notice it as much w/them because your usually out turning your turret rotation on some of the turrets & not getting full volleys to see it by...

Don't take my word for it...test it out in a training room too.

Edit: I was typing this out when you quoted me in the other thread Snarg...(+1 for common sense...but as an FYI...in case you didn't see the other guys vid in post 3 in the other thread...if you use the Control X feature to lock on a ship it doesn't veer off & stays on target even if you're banking hard & have a bad ping going on.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[-BCO-]
Members
2,923 posts
5,022 battles
3 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

No. Started happening with this patch. Otherwise it would have been explained for example in the "how it works" videos. Not to mention all the really good players. So no.

But why did you even say that while quoting Snarg...he never said anything about that yet you're correcting him just because he pointed out the actual realism of it...

Because he implied and suggested that is a feature. Which is....not. The game doesn't pretend to be that complicated.

It shouldn't be removed just because 1 troll is pretending like he just now discovered it... he's known it's been a thing & just now realized he can try to exploit it.

It should be corrected because it is a bug. Introduced with their genius level messing with the aiming intended for the.." grand battle", lolz

Have you never noticed that sometimes torps coming for you spread out in a perfect fan & others seem to spread out with a gap in 1 side of the spread opening up 1st & they need to travel a bit before the other side starts to spread out?

If you haven't you haven't been playing WOWS because that happens all the time...& this realistic "feature" is why.

You mean that torps does not always have symmetrical gap?:) That's different. And arguably is also a bug. But its not a game breaking one. This is.

For all those that want more realism in the game it's been there for years & now everybody wants it removed because a troll posted a whine thread about it for clicks.

No. It would is as realistic as the Cv's implementation.

Don't take my word for it...test it out in a training room too.

Oh I did. The more one turn the worse it gets.

• Cool 3

Members
6,329 posts
25 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

Uh oh...now you went - offended his groupies...nothing but down votes for you buddy...

Here's an up vote (a funny 1... because even though it's sad for them... it's funny for us) to show them that not everybody is a braindead moron...

Exactly... it's an actual bit of "realism" (not that they would launch toros in that sharp if a turn...but that if they did that is what would happen) & contrary to all the recent hubbub by the unaware...

Yeah, forward motion will impart a lateral velocity vector to the torpedoes when launched in normal 'straight' forward motion of the launching ship.

Do it in a turn, and it gets more complex, and the vector(s) won't only be lateral.  There's math for the attenuation of same by the water, but, the vector(s) are there.  Same things happen with shells fired by guns, but, WG puts that out of sight by integrating all that into the game.  All you, the player, have to do is lead.  It puts it out of sight in the torp launch, too, but, it's there.

Anyone who fights in the air in a video game knows about the motion imparted to fired projectiles by the launching vehicle.  Play the 'other' ship game, and see how shooting at other ships is affected by relative motion of your own ship and the target, too, guns and torps...

And, yes, logic is not a strong point of Flamu's minions.  It's a new thing *because the Master says so!!!*

Edited by Kesh_Lives

[-BCO-]
Members
2,923 posts
5,022 battles
6 hours ago, Kesh_Lives said:

Yeah, forward motion will impart a lateral velocity vector to the torpedoes when launched in normal 'straight' forward motion of the launching ship.

Do it in a turn, and it gets more complex, and the vector(s) won't only be lateral.  There's math for the attenuation of same by the water, but, the vector(s) are there.  Same things happen with shells fired by guns, but, WG puts that out of sight by integrating all that into the game.  All you, the player, have to do is lead.  It puts it out of sight in the torp launch, too, but, it's there.

Anyone who fights in the air in a video game knows about the motion imparted to fired projectiles by the launching vehicle.  Play the 'other' ship game, and see how shooting at other ships is affected by relative motion of your own ship and the target, too, guns and torps...

Yes that's correct. But it wasn't part of this game . otherwise it would be explained in the how it works videos.

[PVE]
Members
8,795 posts
25,076 battles
8 hours ago, Bandi73 said:

It should be corrected because it is a bug. Introduced with their genius level messing with the aiming intended for the.." grand battle", lolz

You mean that torps does not always have symmetrical gap?:) That's different. And arguably is also a bug. But its not a game breaking one. This is.

Got a source for that or is it just the newest feature of the game this update & you decided that somehow the introduction of 2 super BBs (neither of which use torps btw) are somehow responsible for it?

But sure...yeah...that makes complete sense (please note the sarcasm because the 2nd biggest troll in the forums is you licking his behind after he takes a dump w/all his diarrhea in his posts)...LOL...

I was typing this out when you posted this:

8 hours ago, Bandi73 said:

Hmm.....One can also say that  there are some people who like to perform various tasks with their ....tongue......

You are the poster boy for that comment.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Meh 3

[PHD]
Members
1,961 posts
7,607 battles

Thing in the real world,  when the WW2 DDs launched a rack of torpedoes they launched the rear most torp first and then sequentially forward that keeps them from hitting each other.

Not exactly relevant to this thread I know. 

[HKG]
Members
19 posts
7,348 battles
6 hours ago, Kesh_Lives said:

And, yes, logic is not a strong point of Flamu's minions.  It's a new thing *because the Master says so!!!*

That's not the point. I couldn't care less if its correct physics & maths (then again, for a game with radar going through islands, maths & physics ain't WG's strong points)

- If it's announced beforehand, it's call a "feature"

- If it ain't announced and things suddenly happens to the toprs launched by me and countless others who are experiencing this issue, its call a bug

Its not being "flamu's minions" if you happen to agree with him, its just simple common sense. Would love WG to come out to clarify this. If it is indeed a feature, I would like to know why they didn't tell us beforehand?

Edited by Boatswain_Tam
  • Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,587 posts

looks like this is an improvement.. and not a bug...

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,485 posts
7 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

if you use the Control X feature to lock on a ship it doesn't veer off & stays on target even if you're banking hard & have a bad ping going on.

I think where people get confused when thinking that the game has little ballistics physics is that most of their shots are taken with the target lock on. With the target lock on an AI controls most of the targeting mechanics and the player only has to point and click.

I really don't understand those who keep saying that "this is a game" like that means that there are no physics incorporated into the game engine. If there were no physics in the game every ship would reach full speed and stop instantly, shells would travel perfectly straight like laser beams and reach their targets instantly, and there would be no need to lead anything.

Edited by Snargfargle

Members
6,329 posts
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

I think where people get confused when thinking that the game has little ballistics physics is that most of their shots are taken with the target lock on. With the target lock on an AI controls most of the targeting mechanics and the player only has to point and click.

I really don't understand those who keep saying that "this is a game" like that means that there are no physics incorporated into the game engine. If there were no physics in the game every ship would reach full speed and stop instantly, shells would travel perfectly straight like laser beams and reach their targets instantly, and there would be no need to lead anything.

Same with the torps.  Usually people use the guide to aim, whether as the actual aim or as a reference to aim X degrees off of.  The lateral vectors are built into that, too.

People just don't think about it.  Same for the carrier ordnance.  You can't really sideslip in the carrier aircraft.  You can yaw, but you can't sideslip, like you can in that other game that lets ships and planes interact.  

[-BCO-]
Members
2,923 posts
5,022 battles
3 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

For my life I cannot fathom why you keep saying something like that. I get the "flat earth" crowd but..... you? I have a great deal of respect for you.

2 hours ago, Kesh_Lives said:

Same with the torps.  Usually people use the guide to aim, whether as the actual aim or as a reference to aim X degrees off of.  The lateral vectors are built into that, too.

People just don't think about it.  Same for the carrier ordnance.  You can't really sideslip in the carrier aircraft.  You can yaw, but you can't sideslip, like you can in that other game that lets ships and planes interact.  

The fact that ping affects it, makes it clear that has absolutely nothing to do with physics or attempts to "model" it. Because the induced variable makes it completely unpredictable and "uncompensable".There is as much physics involved in this as in winning the lottery ticket. Literally.

IRL gunnery the Coriolis effect was well understood and the necessary calculations to compensate it incorporated (with various success) in the era's gunnery systems.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederic_Charles_Dreyer#Dreyer_Fire_Control_Table

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admiralty_Fire_Control_Table

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire-control_system#Naval_based_fire_control

People... please stop talking nonsense. This is a game breaking bug and the sooner gets addressed the better will be.

Edited by Bandi73
Link not showing up

[TIMT]
Members
1,780 posts
12 hours ago, Kesh_Lives said:

Sure, conservation of momentum will make the torpedo go sideways immediately after launch. It then hits the water, sideways. The 30kts it has in terms of sideways motion now get rapidly to zero as the water resistance eat up all that momentum, leaving only effects of currents to be concerned about. If the torpedo were so slippery and hydrodynamic that it could travel significant distances (100s of meter/yard) sideways, then why does it need so much energy and power to propel these things in the first place?

Furthermore, by WWII torpedoes were not dumb tubes with a screw, they had pretty sophisticated guidance systems by then. They had a gyro-controlled circuit that kept them on a predetermined course (and yes, this could be different from the launch angle) which was set by the torpedo officer before the launch. They also had depth control to ensure they ran at the right depth (something they all had issues with).

However you want to spin this as "in-game physics features" falls apart when you consider that the latency between client and server affects how much "physics" we get. Why do my pixel torpedoes conserve momentum differently when my neighbor turns on his [edited] microwave and my wifi goes crap? HOW DOES THAT MAKE SENSE?

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1