You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
3r22r

Austin or Bourgogne for Steel...

11 comments in this topic

[1813]
Members
405 posts
15,072 battles

I receved a 25% coupon for Coal or Steel and realize that I have the Steel to get one ship, either Austin or Bourgogne, Not so sure about Plymouth

Wich one would be the best, I fear Austin is the'flavor of the month' so I want to ship I would be happy with

please advise... thanks in advance.

[RLGN]
Members
16,603 posts
29,022 battles

Austin, from what I’ve seen and heard, desperately requires team play to really do well.

So, division with someone or pray hard for competent teammates.

Don’t really know anything about the plus-sized baguette.

[ENDO]
Members
233 posts
5,892 battles

I'm getting Austin next, personally. I ended up getting Shiki this round. Novelty factor mainly. Austin will be next for much the same reason. 

[UNHLY]
Members
5,217 posts
14,629 battles

Both are definitely strong ships that are fun to play and worth picking up. I have both and enjoy playing them, but if I had to pick which one to get first I'd say Bourgogne. On the other hand, if you're only planning on buying one steel ship for a long time/forever, then I'd spend my steel on Austin (for the same reason I'd put Shikishima lower on the steel priority list despite it being a ship I've wanted since it was announced).

In terms of uniqueness, Austin definitely wins out over Bourgogne with the unlimited faster reload boost and SAP, but it's definitely more team dependent. Division up with a destroyer that can smoke you up and scout, and you can melt something pretty quickly. However it doesn't have the arcs that Atlanta has that allow that ship to get really close to island cover, so you end up having to play a little bit more in the open. And with you being a squishy ship with a lot of damage potential, good players will focus you if you're caught out without cover/smoke/an exit plan. I've heard a few players call it an Atlanta at t10 that becomes a t10.5/11 ship every few minutes, and that's definitely one way of describing the ship - without the reload boost, your HE DPM isn't anything super special, but once you hit the dakka button you put out more damage than pretty much anything else in the game. In some ways I do think it's going to be similar to the Smolensk launch, where at the beginning players haven't really learned how to counter it or make it less effective (via cover and especially angling against the SAP), but over time as players learn that its potential will drop off somewhat. It will still be a good ship and very deadly in the right hands, but the 'average' player will see their performance dropping eventually.

However, due to that same uniqueness factor and therefore required skills, it doesn't work as well as a captain trainer, especially for either of the tech tree cruiser lines. The ability to have different builds from the rework does help a little here, but it still requires having another high level captain besides your normal cruiser ones. If you have Atlanta or Flint (and depending on what your build is for them), you'd most likely be able to use the same captain from there on Austin. But for most players that just have tech tree ships and premiums that those tech tree captains fit into pretty well, Austin will need its own captain.

Bourgogne still has some uniqueness compared to the tech tree, but much less so than Austin. However, in terms of impact on the game, I'd definitely rate it higher. Like how JB is basically a Richelieu a tier higher, Bourgogne is the same sort of thing with Alsace. It has small caliber guns for a t10 battleship (and weaker armor combined with a very low health pool), but it's primarily a flanker and fits that role very well. Great concealment, French cruiser engine boost (like Georgia's, compared to the battleship speed boost the tech tree gets), and decently accurate guns with a reload boost mean you can get out to a flank quickly and farm a lot of damage off broadside targets. Plus, in terms of captain build, it's almost perfect as a French BB trainer - some of your low point skill choices would be different on a dedicated ideal Bourgogne captain, but the majority of the build is the same as the tech tree, and the couple different skills aren't that hurtful when absent. It's not a sniper on the level of Shikishima/Yamato/Slava, and it's not anywhere near a durable as Kremlin or GK, so it's still not a potato proof ship by any means, but it is less punishing of mistakes and has a slightly lower skill floor compared to Austin. 

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,824 posts
24,356 battles
5 hours ago, 3r22r said:

I receved a 25% coupon for Coal or Steel and realize that I have the Steel to get one ship, either Austin or Bourgogne, Not so sure about Plymouth

Wich one would be the best, I fear Austin is the'flavor of the month' so I want to ship I would be happy with

please advise... thanks in advance.

Bourgogne is fun bb....

Austin  in open water is hard to kill when played skillful. 

I went with Bourgogne. 

[1813]
Members
405 posts
15,072 battles
22 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Both are definitely strong ships that are fun to play and worth picking up. I have both and enjoy playing them, but if I had to pick which one to get first I'd say Bourgogne. On the other hand, if you're only planning on buying one steel ship for a long time/forever, then I'd spend my steel on Austin (for the same reason I'd put Shikishima lower on the steel priority list despite it being a ship I've wanted since it was announced).

In terms of uniqueness, Austin definitely wins out over Bourgogne with the unlimited faster reload boost and SAP, but it's definitely more team dependent. Division up with a destroyer that can smoke you up and scout, and you can melt something pretty quickly. However it doesn't have the arcs that Atlanta has that allow that ship to get really close to island cover, so you end up having to play a little bit more in the open. And with you being a squishy ship with a lot of damage potential, good players will focus you if you're caught out without cover/smoke/an exit plan. I've heard a few players call it an Atlanta at t10 that becomes a t10.5/11 ship every few minutes, and that's definitely one way of describing the ship - without the reload boost, your HE DPM isn't anything super special, but once you hit the dakka button you put out more damage than pretty much anything else in the game. In some ways I do think it's going to be similar to the Smolensk launch, where at the beginning players haven't really learned how to counter it or make it less effective (via cover and especially angling against the SAP), but over time as players learn that its potential will drop off somewhat. It will still be a good ship and very deadly in the right hands, but the 'average' player will see their performance dropping eventually.

However, due to that same uniqueness factor and therefore required skills, it doesn't work as well as a captain trainer, especially for either of the tech tree cruiser lines. The ability to have different builds from the rework does help a little here, but it still requires having another high level captain besides your normal cruiser ones. If you have Atlanta or Flint (and depending on what your build is for them), you'd most likely be able to use the same captain from there on Austin. But for most players that just have tech tree ships and premiums that those tech tree captains fit into pretty well, Austin will need its own captain.

Bourgogne still has some uniqueness compared to the tech tree, but much less so than Austin. However, in terms of impact on the game, I'd definitely rate it higher. Like how JB is basically a Richelieu a tier higher, Bourgogne is the same sort of thing with Alsace. It has small caliber guns for a t10 battleship (and weaker armor combined with a very low health pool), but it's primarily a flanker and fits that role very well. Great concealment, French cruiser engine boost (like Georgia's, compared to the battleship speed boost the tech tree gets), and decently accurate guns with a reload boost mean you can get out to a flank quickly and farm a lot of damage off broadside targets. Plus, in terms of captain build, it's almost perfect as a French BB trainer - some of your low point skill choices would be different on a dedicated ideal Bourgogne captain, but the majority of the build is the same as the tech tree, and the couple different skills aren't that hurtful when absent. It's not a sniper on the level of Shikishima/Yamato/Slava, and it's not anywhere near a durable as Kremlin or GK, so it's still not a potato proof ship by any means, but it is less punishing of mistakes and has a slightly lower skill floor compared to Austin. 

Thanks a lot, very detalled. I may hold on to my Steel for a while, (Took a long time get get here) but wich one do you think is more likely to become a Coal ship ? happened with Neustrashimy...

Right now I have 638 000 Coal and 25 000 Steel and ONE 25% coupon and the next one is in December (WHY 6 MONTS ???)

[1813]
Members
405 posts
15,072 battles
19 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Bourgogne is fun bb....

Austin  in open water is hard to kill when played skillful. 

I went with Bourgogne. 

I asked Notser on his chanel and he also answered Bourgogne

[UNHLY]
Members
5,217 posts
14,629 battles
2 minutes ago, 3r22r said:

Thanks a lot, very detalled. I may hold on to my Steel for a while, (Took a long time get get here) but wich one do you think is more likely to become a Coal ship ? happened with Neustrashimy...

Right now I have 638 000 Coal and 25 000 Steel and ONE 25% coupon and the next one is in December (WHY 6 MONTS ???)

Honestly, neither. Flint/Black/Neustrashimy were pulled and brought back as coal (with Black's return date still unknown) because of their lower popularity as steel ships. With a limited amount of steel players could earn at any given time, most players prioritized t10 ships (like Stalingrad, Somers, and Bourgogne) that were usable in competitive modes that tended to be at t10 over t7 and 9 ships. Therefore the non-t10 ships were in direct competition for a limited resource pool and very few players used their steel on them compared to the t10s.

None of the t10 steel ships have that competition (obviously, since they're t10s), and as such I doubt any would end up in a situation were players aren't buying them. Somers I could see returning eventually for coal, since its use in CV heavy competitive is much lower than before CVs were in clan battles (where Somers was a very popular pick due to the torps and good stealth), but at the same time since there was no mention of that possibility when it was pulled, many players likely spent steel to get it who would have rather waited and saved the steel for something else.

As for the other steel options, probably the only other one I could see switching is Shikishima, since it doesn't offer a hugely different function than Yamato - you don't get any extra effective overmatch potential with the larger guns, and while the secondaries are definitely stronger that's never really been a major reason to get Shiki (because of the shared hull weakness with Yamato) and even less so post skill rework. With it being steel, it does serve as another steel/resource sink because people that want a bigger gun Yamato with that gun sound have to spend the steel for it. But eventually there's not a whole lot that would prevent it from becoming a coal ship if it ever gets removed (which I do doubt will ever happen, just because Yamato exists as a free alternative of sorts).

[1813]
Members
405 posts
15,072 battles
22 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Honestly, neither. Flint/Black/Neustrashimy were pulled and brought back as coal (with Black's return date still unknown) because of their lower popularity as steel ships. With a limited amount of steel players could earn at any given time, most players prioritized t10 ships (like Stalingrad, Somers, and Bourgogne) that were usable in competitive modes that tended to be at t10 over t7 and 9 ships. Therefore the non-t10 ships were in direct competition for a limited resource pool and very few players used their steel on them compared to the t10s.

None of the t10 steel ships have that competition (obviously, since they're t10s), and as such I doubt any would end up in a situation were players aren't buying them. Somers I could see returning eventually for coal, since its use in CV heavy competitive is much lower than before CVs were in clan battles (where Somers was a very popular pick due to the torps and good stealth), but at the same time since there was no mention of that possibility when it was pulled, many players likely spent steel to get it who would have rather waited and saved the steel for something else.

As for the other steel options, probably the only other one I could see switching is Shikishima, since it doesn't offer a hugely different function than Yamato - you don't get any extra effective overmatch potential with the larger guns, and while the secondaries are definitely stronger that's never really been a major reason to get Shiki (because of the shared hull weakness with Yamato) and even less so post skill rework. With it being steel, it does serve as another steel/resource sink because people that want a bigger gun Yamato with that gun sound have to spend the steel for it. But eventually there's not a whole lot that would prevent it from becoming a coal ship if it ever gets removed (which I do doubt will ever happen, just because Yamato exists as a free alternative of sorts).

Neustrashimy IS a Coal ship in the armory for 296 000 Coal

By the way, read about some people who whants an eventual Tier XI (?) the reason is some Tier X are over powered...

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,824 posts
24,356 battles
5 hours ago, 3r22r said:

I asked Notser on his chanel and he also answered Bourgogne

I've  run into 3 Austin's in 3 matches were I engaged them.

The safe play, hiding behind island I was able to rush and kill....

The other 2 operated at max range in open water...

They were part of 4 or more ships and twisted and squirmed to survive...

Like I said, when played well, an Austin is hard to kill....

My skill set screamed Bourgogne.

[GOCRY]
Members
1,004 posts

I’d get Bourgogne if I had the steel.  Bourgogne is always a threat, Austin only really gets scary every couple of minutes.  I ran into one in my Wichita last week.  I weathered his 15 seconds of dakka, and then dumpstered him with AP.  Now if I wasn’t already angled or didn’t wiggle my stern, he probably would have done a lot more to me, but so would any other ship.

Edited by SeaGladius