Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Helstrem

Sometimes when the score says you played a great game, you know you lost the match for your team...

8 comments in this topic

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,702 posts
6,726 battles

20210625_000932_PBSB527-Duke-of-York_04_Archipelago.wowsreplay

I am not a great player, but I am a decent player.  Despite blowing my first shot on the enemy DD, despite not being able to nail the Atlanta, despite my questionable course, I could have won this ranked match for my team if I had made a single different choice.  If I had gone for the low health Scharnhorst rather than the Ryujo I had just spotted instead of leaving the Scharnhorst to our low health Ryujo and then finished off the CV, we'd have won.  Scharnhorst had 4k health when he killed our CV, who was completely ineffectual against him, after I had killed their CV.  I never got him in range again, and given Scharnhorst is faster than Duke of York I never would have.

Even better if I'd gone right around the island to face the Gneisenau and Scharnhorst rather than left, but I was worried about torpedoes and Gneisenau overmatching my vast acreage of 26mm plating.  But I had hydro running, lots of health to take a torpedo or two and Gneisenau had shown steadfast faith in his 380mm HE rounds...

Ah well.

Beta Testers
1,023 posts
15,576 battles

I know people get upset about CV's but a gun ship is a more important target as it could kill you in one hit, a CV is going to take multiple passes to take you out.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,702 posts
6,726 battles
Just now, hexeris said:

I know people get upset about CV's but a gun ship is a more important target as it could kill you in one hit, a CV is going to take multiple passes to take you out.

I am not one who gets upset about CVs.  I wish I had that excuse, but I don't. I just went for the wrong target thinking my CV could finish off the nearly dead Scharnhorst.

Edited by Helstrem

Beta Testers
1,023 posts
15,576 battles
31 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

I am not one who gets upset about CVs.  I wish I had that excuse, but I don't. I just went for the wrong target thinking my CV could finish off the nearly dead Scharnhorst.

no problem, we live and learn..I hope :Smile_honoring:

[WOLF6]
Members
328 posts
8,629 battles
1 hour ago, hexeris said:

My problem with CV is the spotting.  

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,700 posts
26,591 battles
1 hour ago, Helstrem said:

I made that mistake a lot long ago.  I specifically remember having my guns lined up on a near dead Battleship but I held off on finishing it.  Another player or two had worked on him way more so in order to not "Kill Steal" I left him to them.  I searching for another target and then BAM!!!!!!

My Cruiser ate a multi-citadel salvo from that near dead Battleship.  I had a bunch of HP but it didn't matter.  If I took the finishing shot and not left it in the hands of some others, my Cruiser would have survived to go on and have a better game.

That's all on me.  I never made that mistake ever again.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
795 posts
10,278 battles
6 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I made that mistake a lot long ago.  I specifically remember having my guns lined up on a near dead Battleship but I held off on finishing it.  Another player or two had worked on him way more so in order to not "Kill Steal" I left him to them.  I searching for another target and then BAM!!!!!!

My Cruiser ate a multi-citadel salvo from that near dead Battleship.  I had a bunch of HP but it didn't matter.  If I took the finishing shot and not left it in the hands of some others, my Cruiser would have survived to go on and have a better game.

That's all on me.  I never made that mistake ever again.

This is exactly why kill-stealing is NOT a thing in this game.

Kills don't belong to anybody, and focus-firing low health targets is almost always the correct play. 

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this