Tpaktop2_1

Is it me or does Windows 11 preview looks like a garbage OS?

9 comments in this topic

[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,943 posts
21,847 battles

Based on this video it looks Win 11 is for phones, tablets, and MS gaming. I looked at this video and kept saying "I don't need that" , "I don't use that" , or "I don't want that".  I am not seeing anything outside the MS environment that makes want to use this software. The more I see how MS does things in Windows 11, the more I want to go Linux for an OS.

[KWF]
Members
6,562 posts
7,170 battles

Considering it's relatively early and there will be a free upgrade for Win 10 owners it's not too bad if they are generous with the deadline to see how it goes.

There will also be some benefits to gaming with AutoHDR and DirectStorage.

You can find a more detailed look in that regard here:

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/windows-11-release-date-features-specs-pricing/

Edited by warheart1992

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,233 posts
4,348 battles

It seems to mainly be an update that allows Windows to run better on touch devices as well as allowing it to run on all-in-one chips on the technical side. Other than that it's mostly a cosmetic update to the look. The ability to run Android apps will be nice too.

But yeah, for the average desktop user there doesn't seem to be anything there that's going to be a real improvement. That said, I don't see anything that's going to be a huge downgrade either. I'll probably update once they work out the first couple rounds of bugs, shift the taskbar back where it belongs, disable all their new notifications and continue on like I always have. 

Shifting to Linux isn't happening (and despite threats the vast majority of people aren't either). I already use it for certain applications, no way I want to have to deal with that daily. I need to just be able to download things and have them work, half the software I use won't even run on Linux, including WOWS.

Remember, people are going to throw a fit just because it's something new. Don't pay the overreaction much mind, everyone who uses Windows is still going to use Windows.

[ABCD3]
Members
530 posts
15,630 battles

It's a Mac want-a-be interface.   

[SOFOP]
Members
2,537 posts
15,878 battles

Every other windows OS seems to be crap since the release of about Win98.  Windows 98 was great.  Windows ME was trash.  Windows NT and 2000 weren't great.  Windows XP was great.  Windows Vista was trash.  7 was and is solid.  Windows 8 was trash. Windows 10 is...well, free for most people so meh :)  Windows 11 will probably be trash and then they will release another good one.

[GWG]
Members
7,730 posts
14,741 battles

When I started computers back in the 1970s, everybody was a PROGRAMMER.
If we wanted a computer to do anything specific for us, we had to write a program to do that.

Then came canned applications, like Lotus, word processing, and the like.  Compilers and interpreters were still the norm, and we could still write/modify programs as we saw fit.

More and more, 'hobby' computer programmers have been locked out of writing programs for the computers.  It's not the hardware.  It's the new operating systems won't allow compilers we purchased.

I have fantastic video editing software that only works up to Windows 98.

I have Visual Basic 6 that only compiles up to Windows 7. (programs can run on Windows 10).  So I need to keep old machines around.  Used to be the programs wouldn't run on Windows 10...  update allowed it.

Seems that every 3 years we need to undergo a massive retraining to maintain our 'tools of the trade', so we can maintain our capabilities.  This is forced by new operating systems and loss of support/compatibility.
And with it goes our ability to create new hardware designs for computers.  The doors slam shut.  Creativity of the masses is crushed under corporate conformity.  New compilers cost thousands, not hundreds.

We also have to pay 3rd parties for website address, MAC ID number blocks, and USB identifiers.  It's all an 'industry standard' racket.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,431 posts
14,946 battles

There doesn't seem to be anything must have but for free why not as just being able to use some Android apps is a plus.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,487 posts
2 hours ago, Old_Baldy_One said:

Every other windows OS seems to be crap since the release of about Win98.

LOL, I was just going to say that. I've had versions of Windows installed on various PCs since Win 1.0 and you are pretty much right. The versions that I've found to be good mostly mirror your list (3.1, 98, XP, 7, and 10). I really like the way 10 operates and don't really see why they are "upgrading" it. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter. I have a retail "Professional" version that is up-gradable. I've used the same OS purchase for my personal builds for well over a decade. In fact, my Windows started life as XP.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,487 posts
4 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

It seems to mainly be an update that allows Windows to run better on touch devices as well as allowing it to run on all-in-one chips on the technical side.

This year (2021), traditional desktop PC account for only 42% of the computing market. Microsoft has been late to the mobile OS game, letting Android and iOS take the lion's share of the market. Interestingly, 18% of PCs still run Win 7. Many of these are businesses that don't want to mess with upgrading expensive proprietary business apps.