You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Pzkpfw_Panther

Map Border Suggestions

9 comments in this topic

[HSL]
Members
21 posts
3,160 battles

A couple suggestions to improve the way the world border works:

1. World Border Warning: Small quality of life improvement; make an option for a little warning alarm akin to the terrain collision one to tell you if you're about to hit the border.

2. Harsher/Different Penalty: Border humping is a pretty viable tactic to abuse in game (which is probably not intended in this "realistic" game), especially for little nimble ships which are already hard enough to hit as it is. A few ideas (these are independent, not all combined):

• Have the border "bounce back" ships (turn them around hard) like it does with planes. 
  • Take away health at about the rate of a single fire with a 30% speed reduction instead of [50%]?
  • Allow ships to leave the area, but after 1 or 1 an a half minutes they abandon the match (aka "destroyed"). The time limit lowers every time you leave the border.
Edited by Pzkpfw_Panther
  • Funny 1

Members
505 posts
21 minutes ago, Pzkpfw_Panther said:

A couple suggestions to improve the way the world border works:

1. World Border Warning: Small quality of life improvement; make an option for a little warning alarm akin to the terrain collision one to tell you if you're about to hit the border.

2. Harsher/Different Penalty: Border humping is a pretty viable tactic to abuse in game (which is probably not intended in this "realistic" game), especially for little nimble ships which are already hard enough to hit as it is. A few ideas:

• Have the border "bounce back" ships (turn them around hard) like it does with planes. 
  • Take away health at about the rate of a single fire with a 30% speed reduction instead of [50%]?
  • Allow ships to leave the area, but after 1 or 1 an a half minutes they abandon the match (aka "destroyed"). The time limit lowers every time you leave the border.

99% of the time when I find myself stuck on the edge of the map has nothing to do with border humping and everything to do with trying to escape from several ships targeting me. When you find yourself alone without help you are too busy looking behind you and often run into the edge of the map by accident. I don't think players need to be punished for this. The fact that you can't escape the border easily is already punishment enough. in fact, I think larger ships should be able to un-glue themselves quicker to get out. 

• Thanks 1

[HSL]
Members
21 posts
3,160 battles
2 minutes ago, CAPT_CORNHOLIO said:

99% of the time when I find myself stuck on the edge of the map has nothing to do with border humping and everything to do with trying to escape from several ships targeting me. When you find yourself alone without help you are too busy looking behind you and often run into the edge of the map by accident. I don't think players need to be punished for this.

I understand, but keep in mind that you would still be attempting to abandon the battlefield. Maybe some sort of "escape" mechanic could work (reduced xp and coins, but maintenance cost goes down because you weren't destroyed), but that sounds a bit outlandish. :cap_hmm: Y'know the ability to retreat would probably be a good idea...

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,092 posts
22,396 battles

Why so bloodthirsty? Why harsh punishments for ships not playing the way you want? Like the above poster said, 99% of the time border contact is not 'trying to leave' or 'border humping'. Please explain to me as best you can how your bloodthirsty 'play this way or be punished' would actually improve the game over what we have now.

Edited by Lert

[HSL]
Members
21 posts
3,160 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

Why so bloodthirsty? Why harsh punishments for ships not playing the way you want? Like the above poster said, 99% of the time border contact is not 'trying to leave' or 'border humping'. Please explain to me as best you can how your bloodthirsty 'play this way or be punished' would actually improve the game over what we have now.

1. Ships would not have to spend an eternity trying to kill someone whose speed and heading are abnormal.
  2. Trying to leave the battlefield could be allowed, but doing crazy one-off maneuvers without the team should be punished.
  3. Hitting the border is in fact, an attempt to try and get away from the enemies. That was a suggestion if you'd like to go back and read it again.
  4. It's a solid magical border, if you'd like to keep it running into it at 30+ knots should be punished. (Although I would prefer a hard bounce-back over damage since WG doesn't hurt you for running aground anyway).
  5. How is this "bloodthirsty"? These aren't insta-kill devastating strike punishments.

So unless you want some weird CoD style gameplay (Call of Destroyers), this should be a beneficial change.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
26,092 posts
22,396 battles
7 minutes ago, Pzkpfw_Panther said:
  1. Ships would not have to spend an eternity trying to kill someone whose speed and heading are abnormal.
  2. Trying to leave the battlefield could be allowed, but doing crazy one-off maneuvers without the team should be punished.
  3. Hitting the border is in fact, an attempt to try and get away from the enemies. That was a suggestion if you'd like to go back and read it again.
  4. It's a solid magical border, if you'd like to keep it running into it at 30+ knots should be punished. (Although I would prefer a hard bounce-back over damage since WG doesn't hurt you for running aground anyway).
  5. How is this "bloodthirsty"? These aren't insta-kill devastating strike punishments.
  1. Abnormal, and entirely predictable. Slowed down massively and only moving on one axis.
  2. Why should ships be allowed to leave? How would this improve the game?
  3. That's a gross oversimplification. I've driven into the border many times trying to turn around, but ships have a massive turning circle. I've never once wanted to leave the battlefield. Again, why should people be allowed to?
  4. It's a solid magical border in an arcade game with magical cooldown on radar, magical heal hitpoints buttons, magical stop-all-fires-and-floods-instantly buttons, magical through-island radar and hydro, magical etc etc etc. Why should this be made 'realistic'?
  5. You literally asked for harsher punishments, so apparently the current ones aren't enough. You literally want ships bleeding hitpoints and destroyed for leaving the battlefield. How is that not bloodthirsty?

If you want to leave the battle, either just leave it and eat the warning, or yolo into the enemy team and do something vaguely useful by scouting enemies instead of being a pathetic, worthless waste of space and leave the battle via map border.

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,852 posts
12,996 battles
47 minutes ago, Pzkpfw_Panther said:

I understand, but keep in mind that you would still be attempting to abandon the battlefield. Maybe some sort of "escape" mechanic could work (reduced xp and coins, but maintenance cost goes down because you weren't destroyed), but that sounds a bit outlandish. :cap_hmm: Y'know the ability to retreat would probably be a good idea...

Ya, I'm sure they were trying to run off the map.  Not sure what [edited] you think someone is abusing the border wall.  Adjust your shots, the ship is reduced speed. Move on.  They put the current set-up in because DDs were actually running those walls all the way around behind the enemy team with no resistance.  Then Cruisers started... and then BBs... then subs...wait.. we were told subs would never be a part of WG.

[HSL]
Members
21 posts
3,160 battles
18 minutes ago, Lert said:
  1. Abnormal, and entirely predictable. Slowed down massively and only moving on one axis.
  2. Why should ships be allowed to leave? How would this improve the game?
  3. That's a gross oversimplification. I've driven into the border many times trying to turn around, but ships have a massive turning circle. I've never once wanted to leave the battlefield. Again, why should people be allowed to?
  4. It's a solid magical border in an arcade game with magical cooldown on radar, magical heal hitpoints buttons, magical stop-all-fires-and-floods-instantly buttons, magical through-island radar and hydro, magical etc etc etc. Why should this be made 'realistic'?
  5. You literally asked for harsher punishments, so apparently the current ones aren't enough. You literally want ships bleeding hitpoints and destroyed for leaving the battlefield. How is that not bloodthirsty?

If you want to leave the battle, either just leave it and eat the warning, or yolo into the enemy team and do something vaguely useful by scouting enemies instead of being a pathetic, worthless waste of space and leave the battle via map border.

Well here's the problem, you want an arcade game that's the same as every other godamned multi-player game nowadays. There's literally nothing else out there in this genre other than [edited] (they censored out the game-that-shall-not-be-named), and that place already has enough problems. So excuuuse me for wanting some standards and giving suggestions, but treating warships as rubber tinky-toys doesn't make sense. They should leave all this magical [edited] in somewhere like WoWS legends.

If you want an arcade game go play Star-Wars or something.

Edited by Pzkpfw_Panther

[LANCE]
Members
911 posts
6,924 battles

It is unfortunately used as a viable tactic, abusing the mechanics sometimes. It’s understandable that sometimes hitting the border is accidental, especially in BB’s and some cruisers but like mentioned, some use it as a tactic, humping the border for long lengths of time. In a fairy recent CB we had an enemy ship do this for about 2.5 mins. The way the auto-aim adjust works makes it almost impossible to hit the “offender” (for want of a better word). Does it deserve a punishment? What type of punishment? No idea!!