You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Boeing774

Best battleships

7 comments in this topic

[CV-72]
Members
10 posts
322 battles

I'm planning to get a premium Tier 7-8 battleship in America, Germany, and Japan. Which is the best? TBH, I prefer the Alabama, but I am open to any suggestions

[KWF]
Members
6,567 posts
7,175 battles

From my relatively limited experience in BBs and what other players suggest, I think you can't go wrong with Scharnhorst, or Hyuga. Especially the latter is possibly the best tier for tier at the bracket you are looking at.

As for Alabama, aside from being more maneuverable and having improved torpedo protection, I don't see what you get over North Carolina. 

Kii can be decent at times but can also be inconsistent and fragile. The main gimmick, torpedoes is more useful in gauging speed than actually firing, and the AA can be a threat to planes but nothing crazy.

It all depends on your needs however, and whether you want a unique premium, or a premium replicating to a large degree the main line.

Edited by warheart1992

[WHARF]
Members
482 posts
19,789 battles
1 hour ago, Boeing774 said:

I'm planning to get a premium Tier 7-8 battleship in America, Germany, and Japan. Which is the best? TBH, I prefer the Alabama, but I am open to any suggestions

Save your money stick with the tech tree...just not worth your cash....buy a nice model..put it on your shelve..

• Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[WOLF1]
Members
1,151 posts
2,228 battles
4 hours ago, Boeing774 said:

The Alabama is quite similar to the tech tree North Carolina (since the North Carolina class is similar to the South Dakota class, with minor differences), which is already a pretty strong ship, and the Massachusetts overshadows the Alabama, being  of the same class (South Dakota), having better secondaries (having 10.8 km vs Alabama’s 9.5), and faster heal cooldown rate (40 seconds to 80 seconds)

You can get Alabama for her history, and being that she is one of more avaliable South Dakota class ships in the game (in the armory, while Massachusetts is removed to return in gambling crates maybe). All three ships (NC, Alabama, and Massachusetts ) have the charteristic high speed American BB with the same hard hitting 406mm (16 inch) guns in the same configuration (triple turrets, A B X layout)

These American BBs can tank quite a bit due to their large heals, fast enough to follow push or kite, but cannot tolerate being broadside  essentially a jack of all trades

other very strong options include

t8 Tirpritz, Kii, Roma

t7: Scharnhorst, Ashitaka, Strasbourg 

The German BBs (Scharnhorst / tirpritz) are brawling ships with good secondaries and turtle back armor, which makes them good for pushing, especially since they also carry torpedoes. They have bad dispersion on the guns, but I heard that they will be fixed. They are easily citadelled from long range, and burned down if exposed to too many cruisers. Excellent for missions in COOP too.

Japanese BBs (Ashitaka, Kii) are strong sniping ships, heavy broadside of many guns. They cannot take as much damage so they cannot push easily. I believe both have a small set of torpedoes  for area denial (triple tubes, long range ).

Strabsborg is special in that it has turrets only at the front and has a reload boaster, which makes it good for bow tanking, although you need to be careful of which caliber guns can overmatch your bow armor.

Honorable mentions: Hyuga gets a reload boaster but is frequently uptiered, forcing it to shoot HE at higher tier ships it cannot penetrate with AP.

so it depends on your preferred play style: jack of all trades, pusher/brawler, sniper, or bow tanker?

[HFC]
Members
244 posts
2,192 battles

I think the Alabama would be the best all around choice. Another ship to consider that others may not like, but I do, is the T8 British BB Vanguard. It is quite accurate, nimble, fast, good reload, good health pool, no advanced gimmicks. Good HE and AP shells. Downside, hard to get the rear turrets on target when at close range due to the limited firing angles. But, I find that it is one of the most accurate T8 BBs and excels at 10-15km, where its rapid turning allows you to unmask the rear turrets for a shot and get back angled sufficiently fast enough to avoid being broadsided.

[META_]
Members
1,837 posts
18,976 battles

You gotta decide which is best.....All 3 nations have 3 different ways of going about things...America has mostly 6 rifles forward giving you the most firepower being bow on but are soft when showing her sides but have good AA...Japan tier 8 has her firepower on the stern so you kite away but have good accuracy but lacking AA , and soft sides...German you have on 4 guns in front and 4 in the stern....high velocity but not accurate,  smaller caliber so not as much penetration...you have good secondaries but bad AA.....all 3 nations play differently...American is the most newer player friendly....I have videos on the Alabama, Bismark  , similar to the Tirpitz,  Ise the tier 6 IJN....