You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Aptar111

Naval Battles - Engagement Stage

25 comments in this topic

[T_N_R]
Members
37 posts
8,694 battles

I have read and reread the rules for the Naval Battles and I am still wondering just how, in specific terms, one earns a "Star".

I have been participating in these battles for a good while every weekend.  I have managed to achieve a Star from time to time but I have no idea how or what was required or achieved in order to be awarded the star!  I have had scores higher than the ones where I have received a Star yet no star is awarded.  I haven't a clue what the difference is!

Can someone please, please, please take the time to describe in detail how one earns a Star?  What does "Clearing bars" mean?

[CO-OP]
Members
3,795 posts
31,081 battles

You need to get a certain amount of ribbons (this may change weekly to base XP, or damage) in a battle with a given ship.  The minimum number of ribbons will be listed on you Naval Battle Engagement screen.  

You can get the full rules on you Naval Battle page:

image.thumb.png.85d882cce9c85aa3ceadee9f533254dd.png

[VOP]
Members
1,062 posts
22 minutes ago, Aptar111 said:

I have read and reread the rules for the Naval Battles and I am still wondering just how, in specific terms, one earns a "Star".

I have been participating in these battles for a good while every weekend.  I have managed to achieve a Star from time to time but I have no idea how or what was required or achieved in order to be awarded the star!  I have had scores higher than the ones where I have received a Star yet no star is awarded.  I haven't a clue what the difference is!

Can someone please, please, please take the time to describe in detail how one earns a Star?  What does "Clearing bars" mean?

First, your clan has to qualify for naval battles (earn ribbons, base xp, damage from all members). If it does by Thursday night, it may participate in naval battles Friday through Sunday. Click naval battles in port and go to the naval battles screen. To have your battle count, you have to enable the participation, click the button. There is a table that cross indexes the ship class with nation. In the table it will say what the requirements are, (i.e. ribbons, base xp, damage, etc.) Select your ship class and nation. You have to beat that total to get a star. Once a star for that category for that combination has been earned, the requirements go up.  It pays to hop around and do the first level stuff first and not waste efforts on the next higher requirement. 

You get 10 tries plus any bonus tries you earned during the week. Do not forget to turn off naval battles when fighting battles that you don't want counted. Naval battles while enabled will tick off your available tries until they are gone success or not. Operations don't count toward success.

Edited by Airjellyfish
  • Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,878 posts

This one is probably via number of ribbions.

Break out a minotaur, farm the bejezus out of a fat slow BB for 20 minutes.

Enjoy the 700 ribbions.

Repeat next star and the next star and so on. Eventually you will fail to get the minimum number of ribbions.

Find another ribbion printing ship. Apply it

[PVE]
Members
8,805 posts
25,095 battles
5 hours ago, Aptar111 said:

I have been participating in these battles for a good while every weekend.  I have managed to achieve a Star from time to time but I have no idea how or what was required or achieved in order to be awarded the star!  I have had scores higher than the ones where I have received a Star yet no star is awarded.  I haven't a clue what the difference is!

Sorry...that line is confusing.

Just to clarify...you don't personally receive stars...the clan does...

There's a counter that shows how many your clan has & how many the other team has...but there is no personal star given to you...although you can see how many you earned for the clan in the table below the chart that shows each level of progress.

You need to hit the. ENABLE button to have your battles count...if you don't hit that button you earn no stars no matter how good you did in battle.

[T_N_R]
Members
37 posts
8,694 battles

This is the result of my first Naval Battle this morning.  It was apparently good enough as there is now a "Star" next to my name on the list of those participating.  The results screen also says "Best Bar" at 120.  Same screen indicates last cleared bar = 120 and next bar =160.

If I count all the numbers on the "Bars" from the results screen below, they total 210.  Since 210 is greater than 120 is that why this resulted in the Star?

image.thumb.png.555adcb2bd34fbb225d4da46697787cc.png

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,878 posts

In this navy battle engagement, you need 10 ribbions for a ship in battle, say coop.

You select engage, pick a nation and ship corresponding to the availible list of ribbions to earn. Say UK, Cruiser 10 ribbion bar. You pick the Mino.

Go into Coop. Hit a enemy ship with 10 or more rounds. Plus whatever else that earns you a ribbion.

Finish game, go to NB screen and you will have your battle results that may or may not award you a star automatically in NB. You have up to 14 attempts depending on how well you and your clan did in the 4 day qual time. You gain more attempts every 5th try this weekend for a max of 20

You can select a ship get 10 ribbions earn a star. Selecxt another ship and nation earn another 10 ribbions and a star. etc. You will then notice that now NB wants you to earn 40 ribbions for the previously played nation and ship type.

10, 40, 80, 120, 160, 200 etc. Ive had 800 ribbions in the mino before.

The next NB is probably total damage. 10K damage etc. Or it can be base exp.

[NUGZZ]
[NUGZZ]
Members
16 posts
1,383 battles

what is the best way to maximize your bonus attempts?

i got 14 after prep, and then it says extra for every 5 on the first day, and extra for every 4 BY the second day.

should i do only 5 attempts on day 1, or 10, or maybe 12?

has someone figured this out already?

[OGF]
Members
420 posts
7,852 battles
1 hour ago, PeonCrotchsky said:

what is the best way to maximize your bonus attempts?

i got 14 after prep, and then it says extra for every 5 on the first day, and extra for every 4 BY the second day.

should i do only 5 attempts on day 1, or 10, or maybe 12?

has someone figured this out already?

If you use up all 14 on the first day, you will still get all the extra tries for the remaining days.  I did this exact thing last week to see how it worked, and got extra tries on subsequent days to burn off.  Basically just use them up within the time limit, and they will count.

Edited by buglips
  • Cool 1

[OGF]
Members
420 posts
7,852 battles
9 hours ago, Aptar111 said:

This is the result of my first Naval Battle this morning.  It was apparently good enough as there is now a "Star" next to my name on the list of those participating.  The results screen also says "Best Bar" at 120.  Same screen indicates last cleared bar = 120 and next bar =160.

If I count all the numbers on the "Bars" from the results screen below, they total 210.  Since 210 is greater than 120 is that why this resulted in the Star?

image.thumb.png.555adcb2bd34fbb225d4da46697787cc.png

So I'm not sure what happened here, but Naval Battles works like this:  on the chart just below the two teams you will see a row for nation and a row for ship type.  So in this case it would be US, Cruiser.  The total given there (in this case for ribbons) is your goal.  If you saw 160 ribbons there, beat 160 ribbons, but did not get the star then there are three possibilities:

1.  You misread the line where the target number is stated.  I've done this before, thought I was shooting for one number but in fact I had read the line above or below it.

2.  Somebody else in your clan was working the same target and completed it before you finished your match so by the time you were done the ribbon requirement had jumped to the next level.  To prevent tripping over each other, my clan urges people to check the chart before going in to see if there's a crossed-swords emblem for any particular column.  If there is, somebody is working that so best find a different one.  

3.  You've experienced an unusual bug.  It's not impossible, but it's more likely one of the two scenarios above happened instead.  I've been doing NB for a fair while, and I have never failed to get a star for completing the requirement.  If I did not get a star, either I didn't meet the goal or one of the two above happened.

Edited by buglips

[WPORT]
Members
10,953 posts
15,451 battles
20 hours ago, Aptar111 said:

1.  It's complicated.  But not impossible.

2.  During the week, playing battles accumulates XP that counts towards the "preparation" phase of the Naval Battles weekly competition.

3.  If sufficient participation happens, then the player's clan is eligible to participate in the Naval Battle weekend phase of the competition (Friday night into Sunday night).

4.  There is a Naval Battles "Grid".
     On that grid are a selection of ship types and nations.
     Each location of the grid represents a category, defined by the two criteria of ship type and nation. 
    The grid locations are "blank" for category combinations that do not have a tech-tree ship available to fulfill it.  (Italian DD, for example.)

5.  To participate in the weekend Naval Battle Grid phase, and earn a star, one must first "ENABLE" their Grid in the Naval Battles sub-menu of their Clan-base screen in-game.

6.  The "earn a star" criteria changes on an almost weekly basis.
      It can be "Base XP", or "ribbons" or "damage in thousands of points".
      Once a player sails a ship in a grid category that succeeds in earning a star for that location on the Grid, the "bar" will have been met.  And then the "bar" will increase in "height" or difficulty.
      Example:  Player 1 sails their favorite German Battleship in a battle while their participation is set to "ENABLED" and earns 325 baseXP in a battle.  The criteria/threshold/"bar" for that week is 300 baseXP.  The player has earned a "star".   Upon doing so, that category on the grid has the difficulty increased to the next "bar" or threshold, to a higher difficulty such as 800 baseXP.
   If the player, or any other member of their clan, tries to play a German Battleship to earn a star, they will now have to earn 800 baseXP to earn a star in that category of the grid (or whatever the next threshold of the week actually is).

7.  Subsequent attempts to earn a star using the same nation/ship-type combination will increase the difficulty every time a player earns a star.
     If they don't earn a star, then the threshold of difficulty for that grid category does not increase.

8.  @FurphyForum and I are pretty good about watching each other earn stars on our Clan's Naval Battles Grid to avoid "tripping each other up" as @buglips illustrated in his post, quoted below.
    I tend to use CV's and DD's and one or two cruisers, depending on the number of "attempts" I have available (10  normally, and up to 14 attempts if a person played enough during the "preparation phase").
    Meanwhile, FurphyForum will tend to use BB's and Cruisers.
   This way, the two of us are making the most of the limited opportunities available via the Naval Battles Grid.

9.  The Naval Battles Grid categories, or ship-type/nation combinations do not seem to require a particular tier. 
    In the past I've been able to use Tier-2 ships to earn a star.
     But, one should also look at the "bar" requirements. 
    If one cannot reliably score BaseXP/damage/ribbons in a low-tier ship, then consider using a higher-tier ship or even the highest tier available in one's Port.  

10.  If a player sails into a battle and doesn't earn a star, they will still have used up one of their "attempts" to earn a star (assuming they had their participation "ENABLED").

11.  A player can turn-off their participation by setting the Grid from "ENABLED" to "DISABLED".  And vice-versa.  Until they have used-up all their available "attempts" or the weekend is over.

12.  If what I have wrote hasn't answered your questions, then feel free to continue this discussion.

15 minutes ago, buglips said:

So I'm not sure what happened here, but Naval Battles works like this:  on the chart just below the two teams you will see a row for nation and a row for ship type.  So in this case it would be US, Cruiser.  The total given there (in this case for ribbons) is your goal.  If you saw 160 ribbons there, beat 160 ribbons, but did not get the star then there are three possibilities:

1.  You misread the line where the target number is stated.  I've done this before, thought I was shooting for one number but in fact I had read the line above or below it.

2.  Somebody else in your clan was working the same target and completed it before you finished your match so by the time you were done the ribbon requirement had jumped to the next level.  To prevent tripping over each other, my clan urges people to check the chart before going in to see if there's a crossed-swords emblem for any particular column.  If there is, somebody is working that so best find a different one.  

3.  You've experienced an unusual bug.  It's not impossible, but it's more likely one of the two scenarios above happened instead.  I've been doing NB for a fair while, and I have never failed to get a star for completing the requirement.  If I did not get a star, either I didn't meet the goal or one of the two above happened.

• Cool 2

[OGF]
Members
420 posts
7,852 battles
2 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The Naval Battles Grid categories, or ship-type/nation combinations do not seem to require a particular tier. 

This is correct.  In fact, for my tries this morning since I was on very early I decided to clear the lower bars for some cruisers using Tier I for no particular reason except that I could.  All these nice ships in my port and I'm working my stars with Hashidate.  :Smile_playing:

• Thanks 1

[WPORT]
Members
10,953 posts
15,451 battles
8 hours ago, buglips said:

This is correct.  In fact, for my tries this morning since I was on very early I decided to clear the lower bars for some cruisers using Tier I for no particular reason except that I could.  All these nice ships in my port and I'm working my stars with Hashidate.  :Smile_playing:

I hadn't tried the Tier-1 ships yet.
Nice to know they're capable of the task.
Thanks for sharing.
And, yeah, there's a special satisfaction from earning a star in a low-tier ship.  Plus, they're already fun to play.  :-)

[WPORT]
Members
10,953 posts
15,451 battles

Okay, I worked on my Naval Battles Grid, today.
Enclosed is a screen-shot.
Out of 14 attempts available, I earned 14 stars.  The criteria this weekend was 10 Ribbons to start, and it went up to 40 ribbons upon earning a star in a given category.
I "set loose upon the world" four Tier-4 CV's and ten different Tier-2 and Tier-3 DD's.
They did not disappoint.  :-)

I left several grid categories un-touched, because I'm saving them for my fellow Clan-member, @FurphyForum.

image_2021-06-26_144815.thumb.png.2a7eb40ef6b9c6cede89d443756308cf.png
To comply with forum etiquette, I covered this week's opponent Clan-name with a pixel version of orange crayon via my image-editing software.

Spoiler

Set a personal record with one of my DD's, too.

shot-21_06.26_11_11.26-0271.thumb.jpg.1427901f8b14e8603b2b00eab9ef0b77.jpg

shot-21_06.26_11_11.42-0314.thumb.jpg.ba517ab61b6c64b10c28d5b0bb3c935d.jpg

20210626_110251_PRSD102-SM-Storojevoy_33_new_tierra.wowsreplay

• Cool 2

[NUGZZ]
[NUGZZ]
Members
16 posts
1,383 battles
23 hours ago, buglips said:

If you use up all 14 on the first day, you will still get all the extra tries for the remaining days.  I did this exact thing last week to see how it worked, and got extra tries on subsequent days to burn off.  Basically just use them up within the time limit, and they will count.

ok ill try that next time

[T_N_R]
Members
37 posts
8,694 battles

I guess what I am after is an explanation each week of what the criteria are.  Would it be too much to ask to put a blurb at the top of the naval battle grid that specifies what this weeks challenge is?  A couple of weeks ago I couldn't figure out why my scores over 1,000 XP points didn't earn a star when the criteria appeared to be much lower.  Someone came on here and explained it was just for "base" XP without any modifiers.  Sure would have been nice to know that from the start!

[WPORT]
Members
10,953 posts
15,451 battles
4 hours ago, Aptar111 said:

I guess what I am after is an explanation each week of what the criteria are.  Would it be too much to ask to put a blurb at the top of the naval battle grid that specifies what this weeks challenge is?  A couple of weeks ago I couldn't figure out why my scores over 1,000 XP points didn't earn a star when the criteria appeared to be much lower.  Someone came on here and explained it was just for "base" XP without any modifiers.  Sure would have been nice to know that from the start!

They use picture/symbol for Ribbons, Damage, BaseXP.
Sorting that out can be a P.I.T.A. without access to reference material, admittedly.

Tagged for @iDuckman in the hopes of providing an updated wiki on this topic (someday, I know you're busy) and @Mademoisail for feedback purposes.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,470 posts
4,774 battles
1 hour ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

They use picture/symbol for Ribbons, Damage, BaseXP.
Sorting that out can be a P.I.T.A. without access to reference material, admittedly.

Tagged for @iDuckman in the hopes of providing an updated wiki on this topic (someday, I know you're busy) and @Mademoisail for feedback purposes.

What needs updating?  The difference between Base and Modified XP is well explained.  Naval Battles seems to change with every patch, and seems to me to be pretty well explained in the client.

[WPORT]
Members
10,953 posts
15,451 battles
12 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

What needs updating?  The difference between Base and Modified XP is well explained.  Naval Battles seems to change with every patch, and seems to me to be pretty well explained in the client.

For starters, there is no wiki-page specifically for Naval Battles.

I didn't see a mention of it here https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Clans
Or here https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Clan_Battles

While the in-game article is helpful, this topic would seem to indicate that some players are finding that their available sources of information are incomplete or require some clarification & expansion, eh?

Yes, Naval Battles seems to be in a continuous state of change/tweaking/adjustment.  I imagine that isn't helping, but might be happening for various behind-the-scenes reasons.

Thanks for taking some time to visit this situation.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,470 posts
4,774 battles
11 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

For starters, there is no wiki-page specifically for Naval Battles.

No.  In general, I don't put much emphasis on transitory events.  However, Naval Battles, in one form or another, seems to be with us for the long term.  I'll see if we can add something.

• Thanks 1

[WPORT]
Members
10,953 posts
15,451 battles
7 hours ago, iDuckman said:

No.  In general, I don't put much emphasis on transitory events.  However, Naval Battles, in one form or another, seems to be with us for the long term.  I'll see if we can add something.

Thank you.

[TORCH]
Members
773 posts
19,957 battles
15 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Thanks in advance for that.  Though naval battles, in general, is pretty hard to explain, the in-game explanation of the rules is actually FAIRLY good, and could probably be used as a starting point for a wiki.  The one thing that, so far as I can determine, isn't explained at all is the meaning of the symbols that WG uses to define the bars.  IIRC, they use a miniature ribbon icon to mean "total ribbons", a star to mean "base XP", and a sort of mini-explosion thingy to mean "total damage", but I've never found anything that actually explains that.  Personally, I just figured it out over time.

It might also be useful for some folks if you provided a short discussion on clan strategies for maximizing stars.  Others have already discussed here ways to gain additional attempts (by playing actively during the preparation phase, and by making attempts on Friday/Saturday to get bonus attempts on Saturday/Sunday).  Also, some one mentioned that it can be a good idea to go for the lowest bars first.  My clan uses a refinement of that:  we have players with a wide variety of skill levels, so we encourage the more skilled players to do most of their attempts on Sunday, or later on Saturday, so as to leave the low-hanging fruit for our less-skilled members to pick.  We think this gives everyone a shot at contributing some stars, and maximizes the total stars earned for the clan.  Essentially, we don't want our lower-skilled players wasting attempts on bars they have little chance of clearing, nor our best players wasting their attempts on bars they can clear virtually 100% of the time.  But of course it's up to each individual clan to determine the best strategy for their clan.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,470 posts
4,774 battles

@AlphaDeltaEpsilon has volunteered to look at doing a NB page.  I've pointed him here, @Midshipman_Hornblower. Your suggestions are welcome, though I don't know now detailed we want to be.  If you can reference the strategy thing, that may prove helpful too.

• Thanks 1

[WPORT]
Members
10,953 posts
15,451 battles
5 hours ago, iDuckman said:

@AlphaDeltaEpsilon has volunteered to look at doing a NB page.  I've pointed him here, @Midshipman_Hornblower. Your suggestions are welcome, though I don't know now detailed we want to be.  If you can reference the strategy thing, that may prove helpful too.

:cap_like:

[TORCH]
Members
773 posts
19,957 battles
On 9/9/2021 at 3:12 PM, iDuckman said:

I agree we don't want to get too far down in the weeds, since that's a sure road to constant rewrites, which in turn is a sure road to an out-of-date wiki.  Hopefully, you all can find the sweet spot between uselessly vague and way-to-much-detail.  @AlphaDeltaEpsilon, feel free to contact me if you need a sounding board, or some (probably useless) ideas.