SteffisCute

Someone explain Kancolle to me

10 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
Members
561 posts

Ok so I watched Azur Lane and I liked it. If I am not mistaken the Sirens are either aliens or eldritch beings or some sort?

But Kancolle they never explain who or what the Abyssals are. I dunno if I am spelling that right. They don't even really tell you where they come from.

Its a nice show and I like it but its just what is the backstory to those things? At least the Sirens have sort of a backstory and they talk but these Abyssals things just appear and never say anything but SIIIIIIINNNKKKKKKKK!!!!!

I am confused.

[WOLF8]
Members
8,195 posts
6,785 battles
1 hour ago, SteffisCute said:

If I am not mistaken the Sirens are either aliens or eldritch beings or some sort?

AFAIK, the lore of Azur Lane tends to hint that the Sirens are actually humanity's creations from the future. In a far distant future, a different alien invader wrecks the Earth, and Sirens were supposedly created to combat them... but perhaps they weren't successful and the humanity of the future was wiped out. So the Sirens decided to travel back in time, to prepare the humanity and the ship girls for that future enemy. The Sirens chose to play the role of a villian, to coax an evolution and a growth of power within the humanity and the ship girls, as they believe that fighting stronger and stronger enemies is the only way for a being to keep growing stronger. They also carry out different tests and experiments, to see which alternate scenarios and time lines produce most desirable outcome, for that goal.

While the hints are scattered all over different events and cut scenes in the game, what I wrote above seems to be the gist of the whole ordeal with the Sirens. IIRC, it's actually one of many theories about who the Sirens really are, but this is the one I subscribe to... lol. :Smile_hiding:

As for the Abyssals of Kancolle, I heard that they were originally meant to be an analog to the USN of WW2... but they chnaged it at some point? I'm not sure, since I actually never played the game either. I did watch the anime show too, but it didn't really explain anything about the Abyssals, like you said. You might want to wait for someone else, who actually played the game, for an explanation. :Smile_hiding:

[MELON]
Members
960 posts
2,784 battles

Abyssals are just ship girls that have sunk and they are salty about sinking which makes them evil.........

The movie explains it but it's been quite awhile since I last watched it and was not the biggiest fan of it (like come on, tenryuu only had like a minute of screen time 0/10)

[WOLF3]
Members
561 posts

I Just watched the Kancolle movie and the ending was ALL kinds of Evangelion tier weirdness.

Basically that's what I got from it, The Abyssals are just pissed off ship girls who sank and were angry about it.

Well DUH you should not have gotten SUNK then!

[RLGN]
Members
16,585 posts
28,949 battles
1 hour ago, SteffisCute said:

I Just watched the Kancolle movie and the ending was ALL kinds of Evangelion tier weirdness.

Pretty impressive, reaching that level.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,633 posts
26,512 battles

I've been playing Azur Lane for about 2 years now and I still don't have a firm grasp on what the story is.  Every event I do in that game the story gets more confusing, especially since they use alternate settings left and right.

As for Kantai Collection, the Abyssals are the Kanmusus / Ship Girls when sunk.  They sometimes come back as them.  It's weird, and sometimes I wish they never did that part of the movie.  However, it's been years since I played the game, so I am not current with the lore.

[WOLF3]
Members
561 posts

So the Abyssals are basically zombies and the Sirens are Terminators from the future.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,633 posts
26,512 battles

The thing is the Abyssals weren't undead.  They were still sentient but broken in some ways.

Anyways, to further drive the point about the Abyssals = Kanmusus in Kantai Collection is that a very good number of ships, especially event ships, you get the event ship where the corresponding ship's abyssal form was at.  As time has gone on with the game, you had Abyssal bosses that were the main event reward ship, just altered.  Sometimes the event maps, bosses would be a ship that was historically sunk at the battle the event represents.

An example:  Fall 2019 event, you had this map, which is pretty close to the Rabaul, Solomon Islands, Guadalcanal region.  Here's a link to the map image, because it won't embed right on the forum.  Node W is the boss node.  The main boss there was "Anti Air Cruiser Princess."  The event introduced a number of new ships but the main draw was the addition of Atlanta as the final reward.  The location of the Abyssal boss and completion of event is the same place where Atlanta was historically sunk.

Summer 2019 event follows Operation Shingle, invasion of Anzio, Italy.  Here's the map.  Real boss to get to is at Node U.  The boss is Anzio Princess and her final form is here.  Reward ship for it is Royal Navy DD JanusHMS Janus was sunk by a Fritz-X bomb while supporting Allied ground troops at Anzio.

Kancolle didn't always do it like this, especially when it was newer and was way more ambiguous about the Abyssals, but over the years I saw a lot of this pattern.

Edit:  It has been a lot of years since I played Kantai Collection, but making this post and looking up the events, etc. for it made me remember how grueling events were in that game.  Events were getting trolled by RNG, the difficulty (the real rewards were only at Hard mode for the event;  easy or casual?  you weren't getting sh*t), and staring at your depleting resources.  There was even RNG in the routing of your fleet on the map.  There were ways to swing that chance to your favor, but there was always the chance that RNG will screw you with map routing and send you to some hellish place to get f--ked over.  What finally broke me on that game was Spring 2016 event when I was trying to get Iowa.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
2,868 posts
94 battles
On 6/25/2021 at 9:35 AM, SteffisCute said:

So the Abyssals are basically zombies

You can say that the Abyssals are the collective grudges of the dead from all naval battles and takes form of any ship that's sunk or places where naval battles took place.

Yeah. Abyssals aren't limited to ships only. Islands itself have Abyssal forms.

Take for instance, Airfield Princess:

latest?cb=20180818153157

She is the Abyssal form of Henderson Field in Guadalcanal during 1942's Operation Watchtower.

This is Lycoris Princess:
latest?cb=20180818162007

She is Henderson Island during 1943 after the American forces fully rebuild the place.

Another one is Midway Princess:

latest?cb=20180818162050

Take three guesses on what place she's based. Yep, she's the Abyssal form of Midway Atoll itself.

Here's another one, Isolated Island Princess:
latest?cb=20180818161147

She's the Abyssal form of Wake Island, where the Battle fo Wake Island occured.

And here's a special one, Central Princess:

latest?cb=20180818154309

The bottom one is here damaged form:

latest?cb=20180818154202

She is a fusion of Pearl Harbor and USS Arizona. In her damaged form, she is crying black tears as reference to the oil leaks of Arizona's wreck.

Edited by RyuuohD_NA

[MUG-T]
Members
782 posts
4,258 battles
4 hours ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

You can say that the Abyssals are the collective grudges of the dead from all naval battles and takes form of any ship that's sunk or places where naval battles took place.

Yeah. Abyssals aren't limited to ships only. Islands itself have Abyssal forms.

Take for instance, Airfield Princess:

latest?cb=20180818153157

She is the Abyssal form of Henderson Field in Guadalcanal during 1942's Operation Watchtower.

This is Lycoris Princess:
latest?cb=20180818162007

She is Henderson Island during 1943 after the American forces fully rebuild the place.

Another one is Midway Princess:

latest?cb=20180818162050

Take three guesses on what place she's based. Yep, she's the Abyssal form of Midway Atoll itself.

Here's another one, Isolated Island Princess:
latest?cb=20180818161147

She's the Abyssal form of Wake Island, where the Battle fo Wake Island occured.

And here's a special one, Central Princess:

latest?cb=20180818154309

The bottom one is here damaged form:

latest?cb=20180818154202

She is a fusion of Pearl Harbor and USS Arizona. In her damaged form, she is crying black tears as reference to the oil leaks of Arizona's wreck.

Huh, I always thought Airfield Princess was Midway according to the anime

Also I had no idea that the Battle of Wake Island took place on Wake Island