You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Igiby100

Worth it? Most powercrept line imo...

18 comments in this topic

Members
103 posts
1,170 battles

The whole gimmick of the USN DD line is two things: having good AA (for a DD), and being incredibly versatile. However, none of this is still true. They no longer have good AA (Euro DDs and high-tier German DDs have better AA. T6 Fubuki has higher DPS than the T6 Farragut). Their guns suck, except in knife-fights. Better torps, speed, agility, AA, guns, HP, armor, etc. available. In fact, they have the second-lowest HP pools of all DDs, and don't get a heal. wth? Why go down a line so powercrept? Or am I missing something?

• Haha 1

[VRR]
[VRR]
Members
1,444 posts

The journey.

Or was it the bus. I can't tell anymore. Lol.

Members
104 posts
1,486 battles

Fletcher may be my most successful DD, and definitely one of my favorite to play. Gearing is very good too.

I agree they're not longer that 'good' vs. more gimmicky, newer lines. But they're very easy Destroyers to drive, and can really still influence games.

I really loved Nicholas, Farragut, hated Mahan, loved Benson and Fletcher, and I'm starting to like Gearing (Gearing suffers from T10 matchmaking and meta, while T9 is fantastic and full of great destroyers).

[CVA16]
Members
6,722 posts
20,690 battles

The US tech tree DDs at the mid-high tiers are at the lower half/quarter of the rankings for WR and damage. Even the much loved Fletcher can't pull a 50% WR and has the lowest avg damage for its tier,

Definitely powercrept and left behind. Some, like the Fletcher are still fun to play.

Some of the US premium, however, are doing just fine.

[RLGN]
Members
16,585 posts
28,940 battles
2 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Name me a single bad DD on the USN line from tier IV upwards.

Was going to say Monaghan, (two guns in one version,) and Somers, (AA? what’s that?) but realized you meant just the tree destroyers.

Members
364 posts
6,125 battles
3 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

The US tech tree DDs at the mid-high tiers are at the lower half/quarter of the rankings for WR and damage. Even the much loved Fletcher can't pull a 50% WR and has the lowest avg damage for its tier,

Definitely powercrept and left behind. Some, like the Fletcher are still fun to play.

Some of the US premium, however, are doing just fine.

I assure you, the USN DD line is more than capable. The statistics only look abysmal because it is one of the oldest lines in the game if I'm not mistaken. If you didn't want to play an IJN DD, USN was the only other option, making them the ideal training DD for many players once they start the game.

USN DDs have an answer to almost any problem. They may not be the best at everything, but it just requires a different playstyle. They won't outgun French DDs or spew out more torps than Japanese DDs, but they can rely on having the best smoke screens, workable torpedoes (they get really strong at T9), and strong guns (provided the ship is close to its target and the captain can aim).

WG has been slow to give buffs to the line. I personally think they are in a good spot, but I welcome the RoF buff they gave to Mahan a while back (she's now a monster when fighting same-tier DDs) as well as the buff to Defensive AA effectiveness (50% --> 100% continuous dps).

Edited by FullMetal_Inferno

Members
103 posts
1,170 battles
21 hours ago, warheart1992 said:

Farragut, Mahan. Given their MM spread and expectations, they are some of the worst at their tier. Farragut has lower AA DPS than Fubuki (45 vs. 161). Benson through Gearing are only alright. Tiers 2-4 DDs are over-rated. Except for premiums (idk about these) USN DDs are crap to average. 

[KWF]
Members
6,559 posts
7,157 battles
2 minutes ago, Igiby100 said:

Farragut, Mahan. Given their MM spread and expectations, they are some of the worst at their tier. Farragut has lower AA DPS than Fubuki (45 vs. 161). Benson through Gearing are only alright. Tiers 2-4 DDs are over-rated. Except for premiums (idk about these) USN DDs are crap to average. 

Mahan has the gun DPM of a tier IX DD at tier VII and a somewhat decent torpedo suite. Farragut for its tier is pretty decent, out of tech tree ships only possibly Fushun is better. Seriously, the USN DD line is the most consistent one in the game and the best suited towards newcomers.

Members
103 posts
1,170 battles
6 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Mahan has the gun DPM of a tier IX DD at tier VII and a somewhat decent torpedo suite. Farragut for its tier is pretty decent, out of tech tree ships only possibly Fushun is better. Seriously, the USN DD line is the most consistent one in the game and the best suited towards newcomers.

Most consistent? Best suited to newcomers? I don't disagree or doubt you at all. However, while their skill floor is relatively low (for a DD), their skill ceiling is also relatively low. They don't have the best guns, or the best torps, or the best stealth, or the best maneuverability, or the best consumables, or the best anything. They have some of the worst survivability in the game. Their are even better hybrid DDs. 

[META_]
Members
1,837 posts
18,976 battles
On 6/24/2021 at 6:15 PM, Estimated_Prophet said:

Was going to say Monaghan, (two guns in one version,) and Somers, (AA? what’s that?) but realized you meant just the tree destroyers.

Monaghan and Somers are actually both competitive,  So.ers is 3rd or 4th in tier 10 dd winrates . Both are top 4 in winrate for their tier....Fubuki is last in tier 6 , Farragut is right above her...surprised monaghan does so well above her with only the advantage of dfaa but 1 less gun

Edited by Meta_Man

[RLGN]
Members
16,585 posts
28,940 battles
59 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

Monaghan and Somers are actually both competitive,  So.ers is 3rd or 4th in tier 10 dd winrates . Both are top 4 in winrate for their tier....Fubuki is last in tier 6 , Farragut is right above her...surprised monaghan does so well above her with only the advantage of dfaa but 1 less gun

I guess. Neither really made an impression on me.

Used the not AA Monaghan with reload booster, (4 guns?) and Somers just didn't do anything to give me a favorable impression.

They're both effectively nothing but x-flake boats now.

6qX4VP.jpg
ItNXVJ.jpg

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[META_]
Members
1,837 posts
18,976 battles
33 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I guess. Neither really made an impression on me.

Used the not AA Monaghan with reload booster, (4 guns?) and Somers just didn't do anything to give me a favorable impression.

They're both effectively nothing but x-flake boats now.

6qX4VP.jpg
ItNXVJ.jpg

I have both and do well in both , I have videos on both....Monaghan you need to know what you out gun and dont....Somers has a fee nice things , faster than most of the dds besides things you can see way before they get close...you have 3 torp spreads vs 2 on the gearing...they have longer legs than the shima...I prefer shima guns over Somers , but with the slight speed advantage you can stay out of range of other dds.....everyone likes different stuff but she can do well if played to torp,cap and spot....to me she's an American Shima , but your torps have longer legs ,way better smokes but shima has better guns (my opinion) and better detection....

Edited by Meta_Man

[WPORT]
Members
10,919 posts
15,412 battles
On 6/24/2021 at 2:19 PM, Igiby100 said:

The whole gimmick of the USN DD line is two things: having good AA (for a DD), and being incredibly versatile. However, none of this is still true. They no longer have good AA (Euro DDs and high-tier German DDs have better AA. T6 Fubuki has higher DPS than the T6 Farragut). Their guns suck, except in knife-fights. Better torps, speed, agility, AA, guns, HP, armor, etc. available. In fact, they have the second-lowest HP pools of all DDs, and don't get a heal. wth? Why go down a line so powercrept? Or am I missing something?

I dunno.  

Some people are big fans of the USN DD line.

I am fond of the Tier-2 through Tier-5 US DD's.  (Mostly because those tiers of play are simply fun and engagements are often at close-ranges.)
For a long time, I wasn't a fan of the Farragut, though, and only recently decided to welcome her to my Port.
I'm currently struggling to get gud with the Benson, with an eye towards (someday) providing a Fletcher Class DD for the Commander Leroy Jenkins currently in the Reserve Barracks of my Port.

I don't know how well the Tier-9/10 USN DD's perform in battles, except as opponents.

The impression I've got, so far, is that USN DD's might be over-rated or have people who are fans of them for reasons other than their performance specifications.
Having a personal feelings connection to one or more ships is totally understandable and fine by me.

For me, concealment is an important criteria for my play-style.
At some tiers, the USN DD's are competitive, and at other tiers they're getting out-spotted more than I'd like.

Bottom line?
The player is who plays the ship.  If the player is playing well, then that is more important than which ship they're using, I figure.

[META_]
Members
1,837 posts
18,976 battles
On 6/24/2021 at 3:39 PM, warheart1992 said:

Nicholas...I love almost all destroyers but Nicholas isn't very good

[WAMMY]
Members
2,634 posts
14,733 battles

Hey

But don't forget the longest lasting smokes in the game says Wargaming.  Then came proliferation of radar on everything thanks to Wargaming and their idea of balancing.

Pete

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,633 posts
26,512 battles
On 6/25/2021 at 10:32 AM, warheart1992 said:

Concealment IMO is a major issue for the mid tier ones, but that's a general issue for mid tier DDs overall.  It's just IMO, mid tiers are a bad spot for DDs because they encounter high tier ones that not only are tougher, meaner, but also due to CSM1 access, stealthier.  I remember playing Akizuki, Benson, Kidd, Fletcher, etc outspotting mid tier DDs and preparing to unload on them.  They had no idea the amount of pain about to head their way.

• Cool 1