You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Igiby100

Are USN BBs worth the effort?

13 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,233 posts
4,348 battles

Yes. At least the fast BBs.

First thing to note, up to T7 they're all slow. South Carolina is pretty much your standard meh T3 BB. WY same boat, lots of guns, no accuracy, slow, but fun for tier IMO. New York at T5 is IMO the worst ship in the line, slow, shotgun accuracy with bad firing angles. Starting here the USN BBs have an all or nothing armor scheme, which means the citadel is well protected but the rest is not. The result is while you can be hard (but not impossible) to citadel you will eat AP pens from any angle. New Mexico is a very solid T6. 12 14" guns, still bad accuracy but has enough guns that it doesn't matter as much. These are the high velocity 14" with a nasty punch. The 22knt speed is starting to get old here, but you're not that far behind most other T6 BBs. Then there's the Colorado. Welcome to the USN 16" gun, you get 8 of them. The issue is that you have all or nothing armor so you eat pens and you still only go 22 knots. However your 16" guns are very accurate and hit like a truck. You also have an improved heal. This made CO a decent T7 for a while. But it's been powercrept the last few years. And the introduction of Sinop was the final nail, there's no way to argue CO is competitive at T7 now, Sinop is just better in every way that matters. That said, CO is playable, you just have to be careful, but those 16" guns pack a wallop.

Line splits at T8. North Carolina, Iowa, and Montana are the fast line. NC you finally get 28 knots. 9 16" guns with great accuracy. Armor scheme changes so you take less pens. All three are mid range ships. NC is considered one of the best T8 BBs. Iowa you get ratcheted up to 33kts, same number of guns but it's the superheavy 16" shell which does even more damage. A very solid ship, I like it. And finally Montana. 30 knots with 12 16" guns carries the heaviest broadside in the game still IIRC. Better armor with decent accuracy. Lacks the overmatch potential of 18", but does have an excellent heal. And that's the USN BB trait, they don't have a gimmick, they don't have a big strength, but they don't have a big weakness, they can do pretty much everything pretty well. You take up a good central position a little bit back and just punish ships trying to move around you. You have a nasty broadside, enough armor to take a hit or two, and the speed and concealment to reposition when necessary. USN old line is the classic BB line, but still very relevant even now when everyone has a gimmick.

The Slow line (which is not Tillmans, those would far better) has Kansas, Minnesota, and Vermont. I don't have a lot of experience with these, but they're supposed to be longer range snipers. This is seen with their SLOW speed (22kts at T10 isn't feasible IMO but WG disagrees) and old fashioned AP eating armor. They have a lot of guns for their tier but slow reloads (40 sec). Kansas IMO is a joke, 12 16" guns that can't hit the broadside of a barn, you wait 40 sec to watch your shells go not on target. And your far to slow to get to range where hits become reliable. Minnesota is only slightly better, still 12 guns but less accurate than Iowa. IMO both NC and Iowa are better than MN and KS. Vermont however is actually good. 12 18" guns (I take back what I said about Montana, this is the heaviest broadside in the game). And unlike KS and MN these guns are accurate with NC level sigma. The ship and reload are still slow, but now sitting at long range is actually viable, dropping devastating salvos on whatever target you choose. The guns are almost enough for me to forgive the terrible speed. However, no matter how good the guns are remember that the playstyle is sit back and snipe (pushing is just going to make you every enemy cruisers favorite target and you have no way of escaping). And that's just boring to me.

Remember though, everyone likes different things. I like the USN BBs, but that doesn't mean you will like them. The best I can do is tell you about them and you decide if they sound interesting. But my opinion is that they are worth it and the more interesting (and probably better) line is the fast BB line.

Final Note: The best and most fun USN BB line is the premium secondary line, Massa, Georgia, and Ohio. Brawlers with epic secondaries. Unfortunately they're all premiums and MA and GA aren't available anymore. Would have been really fun if that had been the line split, but nah, WG decided we wanted Colorado but at high tier instead.

• Cool 3

[RLGN]
Members
16,590 posts
28,974 battles
3 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Final Note: The best and most fun USN BB line is the premium secondary line, Massa, Georgia, and Ohio. Brawlers with epic secondaries. Unfortunately they're all premiums and MA and GA aren't available anymore. Would have been really fun if that had been the line split, but nah, WG decided we wanted Colorado but at high tier instead.

Mammie I used to like, not so much any more. (Hooray rework.)

Georgia has never been any good for me. (Overmatch? You mean that bald faced lie?)

No reason to get Ohio if I can’t get Georgia to work.

[CVA16]
Members
6,722 posts
20,715 battles
3 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

but slow reloads (40 sec).

One of the HUGE turnoffs for me. Waiting for the guns to load  before a target dips behind and island, stops showing broadside, or just who shoots who first on a driveby is agony. 36+ seconds is a looong time to wait. It also means a missed salvo is big deal.  Just sucks the fun out of play (for me)

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,233 posts
4,348 battles
19 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Mammie I used to like, not so much any more. (Hooray rework.)

Secondaries on Massa are still fine in my experience.

19 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Georgia has never been any good for me. (Overmatch? You mean that bald faced lie?)

Huh, I find GA not only OP but also a lot of fun to play. Play it like a cruiser not a BB, and then when things start breaking down hit the speed boost and chase the supercruisers down. My funniest experience was when a DD missed his torps on me and ran off to reload. I charged after him and caught him before he could reload, didn't end well for him. Being way faster than any BB has a right to be is so much fun.

[RLGN]
Members
16,590 posts
28,974 battles
27 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Secondaries on Massa are still fine in my experience.

Huh, I find GA not only OP but also a lot of fun to play. Play it like a cruiser not a BB, and then when things start breaking down hit the speed boost and chase the supercruisers down. My funniest experience was when a DD missed his torps on me and ran off to reload. I charged after him and caught him before he could reload, didn't end well for him. Being way faster than any BB has a right to be is so much fun.

It simply never worked out in any meaningful way for me. 40% wr. 168k total damage, and three kills, in the five games before it was given up on.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles

I'd say yes, I'm actually not as keen on the Fast line, have had some issues, but while I'm only at 23 battles, I'm sure liking Kansas at it's 73% w/r. IFHE shells are as annoying as any other BB with 32 mm armour, but I find it still does well shambling toward the enemy like some undead monster. That and the reactions of DD players when you actually dodge their torpedoes in it. 

Members
91 posts
3,815 battles

I personally didn’t see it, neither Georgia or Montana. I’m considering to go down the slow line though, I get along with West Virginia.

[GC]
Alpha Tester
949 posts
4,370 battles

Gonna buck the trend here. Honestly, I'd say no, USN battleships are not worth the effort, these days. At least, not for the most part. North Carolina and Iowa are still quite strong in their respective tiers, but just about everything else has been powercrept to near irrelevance; the mid-tiers are slow and vulnerable to HE spam, and Montana is, though it still wields an impressive and potentially devastating broadside, not quite as fearsome as it used to be; 18" guns are the new 16", at least at tier 10. Quite a few cruisers have 30mm armor these days, and thus can shrug off a surprising amount of shells from Montana which, in ye olden days, would have left them on low health or straight up deleted them from play.

As for the Vermont line.... these ships are notoriously frustrating for most players due to the lack of speed, very long reload, and thin shell plating that makes them easy targets. They were mostly irrelevant before they were even added.

--Helms

Members
103 posts
1,170 battles
On 6/27/2021 at 4:36 AM, thehelmsman said:

Gonna buck the trend here. Honestly, I'd say no, USN battleships are not worth the effort, these days. At least, not for the most part. North Carolina and Iowa are still quite strong in their respective tiers, but just about everything else has been powercrept to near irrelevance; the mid-tiers are slow and vulnerable to HE spam, and Montana is, though it still wields an impressive and potentially devastating broadside, not quite as fearsome as it used to be; 18" guns are the new 16", at least at tier 10. Quite a few cruisers have 30mm armor these days, and thus can shrug off a surprising amount of shells from Montana which, in ye olden days, would have left them on low health or straight up deleted them from play.

As for the Vermont line.... these ships are notoriously frustrating for most players due to the lack of speed, very long reload, and thin shell plating that makes them easy targets. They were mostly irrelevant before they were even added.

--Helms

Thank you.

Members
103 posts
1,170 battles
On 6/24/2021 at 1:39 PM, AJTP89 said:

The huge amount of text @AJTP89 wrote:

Thank you. This is the kind of information I typically can't find. I frequently get answer like "if you can use them properly, they are a beast", or some other obvious but useless answer that applies to 99% of the ships in the game. I am looking for an opinion from as many people as I can get one from on this key question: are the strengths balanced against the weaknesses, are the strengths more relevant, or do the weaknesses make the ship/line not worth playing. 

[HFC]
Members
244 posts
2,192 battles

I like the Colorado. I find it not a huge step down from T8, for one it is tankier than the NC, the guns are fewer but with faster AP shells, it is easier to reach out and touch someone. At Mid to Close range, the superheavy AP shell that the NC has does put hurt on target, but also you are taking more damage in return. I suspect that you should take some of the opinions here with a grain of salt.

[DED]
Members
8 posts
1,802 battles
On 6/24/2021 at 1:59 PM, Igiby100 said:

Title. Also: which branch to take? Tillmans or Fasts?

the branch you call the Tillmans are more like the progression of the standard class battleships (these ships would be what the normal progression of say like the colarado or new york class battleships would be like if the aircraft carrier never took over as the main fleet center) the Tillman ships were much much larger ships closer to the Yamato than what we get in the Vermont one Tillman would have been armed with something like 12 20 inch guns. 

with that said the fast battleship line in the U.S. tree is worth the pain to get to.

Edited by signolias