Sign in to follow this  
Battleship_DukeofYork

Miami condo collapse

13 comments in this topic

Members
1,475 posts
1,608 battles

While there could be any number of causes, my first thought jumped to either mob or cartel-run construction. The building dates from the 80s, and organized crime was huge in south Florida at that time. 

[HINON]
Members
14,317 posts

No point speculating right now as it could be any number of things. I'm sure the History Channel will run a special saying it could have been a mini black hole caused by aliens though.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,377 posts
14,130 battles
Just now, Estimated_Prophet said:

Looks like a building demolition...

3!

3 comments to get to man made detonation. smells like conspiracy

[RLGN]
Members
16,585 posts
28,940 battles
1 minute ago, skillztowin said:

3!

3 comments to get to man made detonation. smells like conspiracy

No, didn't mean that specifically; just that the way it fell seemed very similar.

[WOLFG]
Members
13,256 posts
12,507 battles
38 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

It sure did.

And it wouldn't need to be pure criminal activity.

I've seen enough crappy construction to not be surprised if they found out it was plain incompetence.

[RLGN]
Members
16,585 posts
28,940 battles
32 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

It sure did.

And it wouldn't need to be pure criminal activity.

I've seen enough crappy construction to not be surprised if they found out it was plain incompetence.

Would ‘ignored result’ or ‘pencil whipped the building inspection,’ fall under that?

I can’t imagine this just happened without some kind of warning indication. Corrosion, other types of material degradation, doors that won’t close properly, etc…

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,680 posts
13,339 battles
2 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

That's actually pretty normal for a unplanned large building collapse as well. Gravity is the main force bringing a building down, and it only works one way. The real difference is how big a mess it makes, and how accurately it lands on it's own foundation.

[WPORT]
Members
10,919 posts
15,412 battles
5 hours ago, Battleship_DukeofYork said:

While there could be any number of causes, my first thought jumped to either mob or cartel-run construction. The building dates from the 80s, and organized crime was huge in south Florida at that time. 

Sad.

I hope a full investigation will reveal the cause, and provide closure.

Members
1,475 posts
1,608 battles

The worst deaths must have been for those people living in the far right (seaside) units. If you were in the middle, at least it happened quickly - those ones on the end were likely shaken awake, could feel the room swaying like a drunk, and only then did it fall. There are few ways to go that are more horrific to me than falling chased by crushing. *Shudder.* Just terrible.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,467 posts
4,774 battles
6 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Doesn't need to be due to explosive.  (And I don't see evidence of one.)  In a controlled demolition, an explosive is used to break some columns.  Here one likely just snapped.  The rest follows "naturally", i.e. the increased stress breaks adjacent weakened columns, and it cascades from there.

I bet they find that the concrete and rebar were insufficient to withstand salt water corrosion. Or that they weren't protected against it as they should have been.

Surely the death toll is higher than one now?

Members
1,475 posts
1,608 battles
6 hours ago, iDuckman said:

Doesn't need to be due to explosive.  (And I don't see evidence of one.)  In a controlled demolition, an explosive is used to break some columns.  Here one likely just snapped.  The rest follows "naturally", i.e. the increased stress breaks adjacent weakened columns, and it cascades from there.

I bet they find that the concrete and rebar were insufficient to withstand salt water corrosion. Or that they weren't protected against it as they should have been.

Surely the death toll is higher than one now?

I'm sure the death toll is at least 80. They're hearing sounds from the rubble, and am convinced they'll rescue 2-3 more people. But the idea that most of the 99 missing are coming out of this is - unfortunately - fantasy. This was the equivalent of a mid-sized airliner crash, and most people involved aren't walking away. I only hope that a number of other coastal highrises are condemned nationwide before it happens again, but I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by Battleship_DukeofYork

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,480 posts

You would think that they'd start an investigation into all of the other possible building code violations in the city but they probably won't. If there was enough corruption to skimp on building quality to begin with there probably is still enough corruption for other builders to continue getting away with it. There's going to be a load of lawyers get rich off this though if they can find a "big bad" with enough money. 

Sign in to follow this