You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Battleship_DukeofYork

Anyone have any thoughts on Tone?

23 comments in this topic

[MEIST]
Members
1,589 posts
6,419 battles
5 minutes ago, Battleship_DukeofYork said:

I'm having a hard time finding much review info, positive or negative. 

I seen several on Youtube. They all seemed pretty positive.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,878 posts

Its ok, but a flash in the pan. A form of revenue for WG.

[KSC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,580 posts
14,018 battles
33 minutes ago, Battleship_DukeofYork said:

Raw Link: https://youtu.be/xGRO5vuH4B4

-----

Tone feels like more of a ship than a hybrid.  Good guns, amazing concealment, and interesting playstyle.

I enjoyed her a lot.  Can recommend.

• Cool 2

[PHD]
Members
1,962 posts
7,607 battles

Sea Lord Mountbatten have a somewhat unfavoriable video review. But in the video he infered that he doesn't play IJN CAs much.

I will probably get the ship once it is in the Armory so that my coupon will apply.

From what I can guess, (I do not have it) it is an Atago/Mogami but with fewer guns but better concealment. It has the same tier six planes that the Ise has but with a 50% longer cool down. That limits the number of times you can use the planes. But since Tone is a cruiser and not a battleship, less armor, staying with the ship more could be a good thing.

It may be more useful in Randoms than CoOp as the ability to use the planes to scout and spot for the team has more benefit.

Apparently it is not OP as there has been no outrage over it, or not a lot of any comment, as you have noticed.

But as a very historical ship and perhaps "interesting gameplay" it has some apeal.

Maybe if sales are poor WG may buff it, more torp damage?

I am not a unicum, or probably even mediocre, so take my coments with a grain of salt, sea salt ofcourse.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,805 posts
25,095 battles
13 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Yeah, I have a thought:

I don’t like playing against hybrids, so

DON’T USE THAT TONE WITH ME!!!!

Well done...+1

[RLGN]
Members
16,590 posts
28,974 battles
1 hour ago, Battleship_DukeofYork said:

1 hour ago, Ahskance said:

(snip)

As a hybrid I think it's worse than Ise; three minute plane load versus two minutes?

As a cruiser I like the tight shell grouping.

[GRETA]
[GRETA]
Members
612 posts
20,143 battles

If you're expecting an Atago with planes, you'll be disappointed. Tone has less health, firepower (1 less turret, 2 less torps per side), and vastly worse armor protection than Atago, while sharing the same terrible AAA and slow reload.

Tone is covered in 27mm platings that get overmatched by 406mm guns you commonly face at T8, but gets up to 5 heal charges (with SI) to compensate for its fragility. So while Tone can't angle against a BB like Atago can, it can handle chip damage over a drawn out match.

The planes are a gimmick tool that gives Tone some utility to spot or deal damage from afar. They're faster than Ise's planes with a longer boost time (w key). The trade-off is Tone's bombers take 3 minutes to recharge instead of 2 minutes. Tone uses the same 4x2 drop pattern as the Ise, with a massive fan shaped spread. Best to use these planes on broadside, slow moving targets.

The cruiser captain skill enhanced torpedo explosives works for both the ship launched torps AND the air dropped torps. Tone is the only ship in the game currently that benefits from both aspects. 

Tone looks like a good cruiser on paper but its fundamental problem is that it needs long, drawn out matches to really shine. Given the average 10-13 minute match lengths it isn't possible for Tone to really bring in big numbers. She can't trade shots with enemy cruisers (even things like Nurnberg will out dpm Tone) and especially can't tank BB shells greater than 381mm. This means that most of the time she'll be retreating from engagements and giving up map control while slowly whittling down her enemies. She can't dictate fights and does poorly against fast moving surface ships. Carriers also love harassing Tone because she can't even launch fighters to defend herself.

The TLDR is that Tone plays like a 203mm Mogami with torpedo bombers. Poor dpm, low health, and paper armor in exchange for great concealment and the ability to launch limited airstrikes. Her biggest strength is the ability to spot targets in a no-CV game.

• Cool 1

[DWBG]
Members
197 posts
2 hours ago, GrayPanther2018 said:

From what I can guess, (I do not have it) it is an Atago/Mogami but with fewer guns but better concealment. It has the same tier six planes that the Ise has but with a 50% longer cool down. That limits the number of times you can use the planes. But since Tone is a cruiser and not a battleship, less armor, staying with the ship more could be a good thing.

It's more like a T8 Myoko in my opinion.  Has bad torp angles compared to the Atago. 

[NUWES]
Members
3,486 posts
13,164 battles
3 hours ago, Battleship_DukeofYork said:

It's ok. She was a very historic ship so I and a lot of players were looking forward to her for that alone.

Capability-wise, it's ok. 

Planes - The planes are basically the same as Ise's. Unfortunately the reload is a bit longer. Also, they aren't particularly tough at T6 for Ise. They look tough compared to CV planes but you have to remember that every real CV will be using captain skills and upgrades to make their planes stronger and the net effect is they will be tougher than those used by the hybrids.  At T8, this falls apart - literally.  Good AA ships on-tier can disintegrate your planes. Forget T10s. Her planes throw a lot of torps downrange, but the reticule is wide (and never narrows), and they don't do a lot of damage individually. They're very useful to get enemies to turn though and you can set up your own cross drops with your torpedoes. 

The planes are still a useful tool but you have to be much more careful with them. I use them to attack over islands mainly. 

Concealment - Tone's concealment is awesome. I think  is just under 9. It really lets you control the flow of engagement (unless there are DDs, radars, or CVs in the area). It also lets you stealth torpedo. (See below). 

Guns - Basically the same guns you see on all IJN CAs. They have all the virtues and vices of the normal IJN guns but you only have 8 of them. ALso reload is quite slow (15s or so).  You basically have Hipper firepower with even slower reload. Your dps on guns alone is really bad. You have to get use out of your torpedoes, your planes, and or stay alive through the entire fight to get good dps. The guns are quite accurate though and the fire-setting is quite good. Despite having all-forward armament, the arcs aren't stupendous. They certainly aren't bad, but it's no Richelieu. You only get half your firepower fully forward and opening up side to get the second pair to fire is risky for reasons I lay out under "Durability" and "Agility" below. 

Durability - The only good news on this is she has heals. The bad news is you will be using them a lot, and they don't keep up. She basically has the same armor and similar citadel to the other IJN CAs which means mediocre to poor for a CA. The citadel is quite high, quite large, and armor is none too thick. She's a big long ship too so there is a lot to eat full pens even if you don't get citadeled. Turret and barbette armor isn't good either so your few guns will get knocked out relatively often, although you'll be thankful for that because it means you didn't get citadeled. 

Agility - Speed is quite good for a CA, actual agility isn't. The ship is quite long and her turning circle is standard IJN CA big. This, coupled with the durability is why you'll end up eating a lot of damage if a big ship spots you. 

Torpedoes - The torps are quite nice with a decent reload, and the low stealth actually lets you use them. Arcs are basically what Myoko has rather than what Atago has so that's a big against. If you turn to use them while spotted you'll eat citadels - guaranteed. Their firing arcs are heavily biased to the rear, while unfortunately your gun arcs are heavily biased to the front. IT makes it difficult to sit at an angle and still get a lot of ordinance moving downrange like Atago can.

All of this sounds like I am ripping on Tone, but I'm not. I like the ship, but buyers need to be aware of her flaws, and she has a lot of them. IT isn't a well-rounded ship like Atago and it isn't easy to play. It really has to use its stealth and its planes to make up for its other deficiencies. The stealth and the planes though open up options that other CA's (and in fact other non-CVs) don't have and you have to know how to use them well. If you do the ship can really sing.

Would I recommend her over Atago? In most cases - no. Atago is well balanced. Tone is anything but. Tone's planes and her stealth make her flexible though and let her contribute in ways that Atago can't, but you have to know how to use them. If you don't know how to use planes Tone is going to be lousy for you - guaranteed. That's where the people who refused to learn to play CVs are going to have a lot of trouble with Tone. She needs those planes to have any chance of being relevant and the planes are fragile with no upgrades so they are harder than normal to use. If you want Tone, and aren't decent playing a CV I recommend taking a T6 CV out and practicing in an operation. If you don't have any, grind to Ranger or Furious. Those are the two that are most forgiving for practice. I don't recommend practicing on the T4s, you won't really learn much from them other than basics on how to launch and drop. They won't teach you how to keep your planes alive because almost nothing on T4 has any AA. 

I hope this helps. :)

• Cool 6
  • Thanks 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,651 posts
26,547 battles
3 hours ago, CAPT_CORNHOLIO said:

Notice how all the hybrid ships are premium?   Cha-Ching! 

It's not like any navy out there had a bunch of such programs going anyways.  But then again, the Germans, who never built a Carrier before, have a Full CV Line.  The Russians, who didn't build a Carrier until almost the 1980s, are getting WWII-era Carriers real soon.

Anything's possible now, I guess, including World Peace.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,878 posts

There is one thing WG has not yet done for years.

Individual turret control and single gun or pair gun firing etc.

Once you have that control put into Wows you will see BB's engaging both sides at the same time split firing. Others firing one gun to get range then salvo the rest onto target.

[SKULS]
Members
239 posts
5,571 battles

yeah just got the IJN Tone no key to launch the planes ???

World of Warships 6_24_2021 10_23_03 AM.png

Edited by CaptDavid

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
31,651 posts
26,547 battles
13 minutes ago, CaptDavid said:

yeah just got the IJN Tone no key to launch the planes ???

I think you have to hold down CTRL and then LMB on the Seaplane consumable icon.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,348 posts
10,587 battles
8 hours ago, CAPT_CORNHOLIO said:

Notice how all the hybrid ships are premium?   Cha-Ching! 

That's just because there aren't enough real ones for a consistent line.

If you stick around long enough, eventually there will be a line (or several) of hybrids.

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
1,310 posts
12,108 battles
3 hours ago, Skpstr said:

If you stick around long enough, eventually there will be a line (or several) of hybrids.

Really, it was a Japan thing. Ise and Tone are in the game now, leaving Oyodo and the Mogami class rebuild, the latter of which I doubt will come in any time soon since Tone occupies the same spot.

Edited by Shannon_Lindsey

[USRUS]
[USRUS]
Members
1,778 posts
22,304 battles

An atago with extra steps

Members
490 posts
13 hours ago, Skpstr said:

You mean paper ships that never existed? Like Russian Cvs? 

[WOLFG]
Members
34,348 posts
10,587 battles
Just now, CAPT_CORNHOLIO said:

You mean paper ships that never existed? Like Russian Cvs? 

Yes, those exactly.

[SKULS]
Members
239 posts
5,571 battles

Update on the IJN Tone I sent a ticket to support they are aware of the problem with the IJN Tone it has a bug no launch key button hope they fix it soon.

World of Warships 6_24_2021 10_23_03 AM.png