You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bandi73

Soo.....when is the best time to play Ranked?

21 comments in this topic

[-BCO-]
Members
2,924 posts
5,022 battles

In you opinion when is the "happy hour" time to play Ranked?

Coz either the MM is "busted" and is not random anymore, or I play at hours which precludes me to get brain active teammates.

image.thumb.png.34972beecfbb05354029ad1655191e38.png

And no its not a gitgud issue coz.....

Quartet.thumb.png.e665095cfd72299fbf4cbf30f25f5643.png

And also I ranked "out" ( i.e  R1 silver)  on EU which  seems impossible on NA.

Thoughts?

• Sad 1

[-AFK-]
Members
1,357 posts
16,499 battles
1 hour ago, Bandi73 said:

Coz either the MM is "busted" and is not random anymore, or I play at hours which precludes me to get brain active teammates.

Thoughts?

First 2 hours of the day when everyone has had their first morning coffee, after that it is a slow decline 

• Cool 1

[-BCO-]
Members
2,924 posts
5,022 battles
6 minutes ago, Depraved_Miscreant said:

First 2 hours of the day when everyone has had their first morning coffee, after that it is a slow decline 

Hmm...I see. An aprox hour/timetable? When the container timer gets resetted in my part of the world is noon, 12.00 :)

[TAZ]
Members
941 posts
2 hours ago, Depraved_Miscreant said:

That is NOT accurate because ranked on the NA server doesn't start until 1300 (1 PM) CST.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,348 posts
10,587 battles
3 hours ago, Bandi73 said:

It's not a "git gud" issue because you did really well in the game you won?

How did you do in the ones you lost?

[SALVO]
Members
8,982 posts
6,672 battles
3 hours ago, Bandi73 said:

Thoughts?

In your pick looks like you are playing morning time (9-10AM) which I find kinda curious since Ranked starts in the afternoon (1 PM). What time are you playing?

Imo the main consideration in terms of player pool is prime time and CB. Most "hardcore" players play prime time and many play CB, so you can expect a drop in team quality while CB is active.

Another factor to consider if you are playing "off" hours and the player pool is small, is you probably will drop with the same group of guys over and over, you'll be stuck with them and if they are a particularly bad batch...

A final consideration is the ship type and tier you play. For example, I play mostly T8 ships, which at certain moments are less frequent  in the queue, this leads to me being commonly paired against the same guy during a game session. If my "pair" is bad, it gives me a base advantage over the red team.

So in short, you might be riding a bad batch, go for a drink and wait (5 minutes) for a different one.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,878 posts

Before I stopped I played whenever.

It had no effect on quality of game. Some of us are retired and have the time to grind it out.

650 ranked played this year overall wr 48% so negative progress. Typical of over half the people in ranked.

The worst quality game play in ranked is when your losing team tries to save a star so they dont have to regrind the previous victory over god knows how many games.

Regarding WG's system of matching there is no point in worrying about it you get handed 30 to 50 defeats in a row some days. I learned to quit ranked play after 4 defeats. Then quit entirely.

[DVYJC]
Members
4,420 posts
11,786 battles

If I start Ranked first thing when it's available, for the first two hours I at best seem to break even. But I'm not really sure if that's the player pool in queue for Ranked, or if it's just me needing to warm up with a few games or something. Playing between 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. Central Time seems to be my best, I tend to get a lot of six- or eight-game streaks of wins + saved stars. 

The big thing for me in controlling my Ranked win rate has been quitting if I start losing. I just get cranky and salty and play worse and am probably less fun to play with. So if I lose a star and start feeling salty, I'll quit for a bit and play Operations or Tier V Random or something to break up the monotony.

• Cool 1

[USRUS]
[USRUS]
Members
1,778 posts
22,304 battles

As early in the day as possible before all the bad players sign on. And rank out in the first week or it's all people hoping for a carry to rank 1.

Members
490 posts

I don't play to rank out. I play for enough wins to get my steel and then get the f---k out. It's really one of the dumbest things WG has thought up. Calling it "Ranked" is a joke. It's just a worse version of Randoms.  

• Cool 1

[-KA-]
Members
161 posts
5,391 battles
5 hours ago, Bandi73 said:

Thoughts?

You're only playing Neptune.  244 battles- I'd say, try another tier 9 - since you are not killing at least one (on avg) per match.  

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,935 posts
22,964 battles

If you want to carry, play at the start or end of the session.

If you want to take your chances and hope for the best, play in the prime time hours. I'd guess it also matters whether CBs are active at the time, but I can't say for sure.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,233 posts
4,348 battles

I play during the evening east coast time and have been fine. Right now I'm winning more than I lose, but that could easily change tonight.

My rule with Ranked is play until I lose, then I give it a break for at least a few hours, usually for the night. Because IMO once you're on a losing streak I'll just get more and more frustrated and still not win.

[-BCO-]
Members
2,924 posts
5,022 battles
9 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

:) Good point.

[-BCO-]
Members
2,924 posts
5,022 battles
9 hours ago, Skpstr said:

That depends. I very much play "for the win". Sometimes I play "keep'em busy", sometimes I do other stuff. Once I was even asked to spot for a bb ( to kill another BB) which is for RN Cl's....yeah. I would say that 2K games are not the norm but not uncommon. I kept this because it was the first quartet ( i.e badges)  and 72 plane kills ( tho 40 or so were fighters)

Edit: First battle today ....

image.thumb.png.5dd14100d4e8300c12c9f8b265e9791f.png

or...

image.thumb.png.adc5f65c68ee6a2b043a16487dccf291.png

8 hours ago, CSSAlabama_1 said:

You're only playing Neptune.  244 battles- I'd say, try another tier 9 - since you are not killing at least one (on avg) per match.  

Yes. I like the playstyle. I would argue that it is a bit OP :) I play the same ship on Eu and there I have 9-10 tier 10's. Also like I said  I'm not necessarily playing for da killz. I regard this game as a team game. Especially in ranked.

Edit: Also I avoid T10 because.....yeah. 

Edited by Bandi73

[-BCO-]
Members
2,924 posts
5,022 battles
6 hours ago, CAPT_CORNHOLIO said:

I don't play to rank out. I play for enough wins to get my steel ....

...and the dubloons. That what I do too:). Also Cv's are T8 so....:) 

[-BCO-]
Members
2,924 posts
5,022 battles
7 hours ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

If I start Ranked first thing when it's available, for the first two hours I at best seem to break even. But I'm not really sure if that's the player pool in queue for Ranked, or if it's just me needing to warm up with a few games or something. Playing between 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. Central Time seems to be my best, I tend to get a lot of six- or eight-game streaks of wins + saved stars. 

The big thing for me in controlling my Ranked win rate has been quitting if I start losing. I just get cranky and salty and play worse and am probably less fun to play with. So if I lose a star and start feeling salty, I'll quit for a bit and play Operations or Tier V Random or something to break up the monotony.

Good point. I'm alternating it with ops. Its Newport week so its nice. 

[-BCO-]
Members
2,924 posts
5,022 battles
7 hours ago, xHeavy said:

Before I stopped I played whenever.

It had no effect on quality of game. Some of us are retired and have the time to grind it out.

650 ranked played this year overall wr 48% so negative progress. Typical of over half the people in ranked.

The worst quality game play in ranked is when your losing team tries to save a star so they dont have to regrind the previous victory over god knows how many games.

Regarding WG's system of matching there is no point in worrying about it you get handed 30 to 50 defeats in a row some days. I learned to quit ranked play after 4 defeats. Then quit entirely.

Yeah.....Here on NA I got as low as 46:(. Yet on Eu I have a steady 53.....

7 hours ago, ArIskandir said:

In your pick looks like you are playing morning time (9-10AM) which I find kinda curious since Ranked starts in the afternoon (1 PM). What time are you playing?

Imo the main consideration in terms of player pool is prime time and CB. Most "hardcore" players play prime time and many play CB, so you can expect a drop in team quality while CB is active.

Another factor to consider if you are playing "off" hours and the player pool is small, is you probably will drop with the same group of guys over and over, you'll be stuck with them and if they are a particularly bad batch...

A final consideration is the ship type and tier you play. For example, I play mostly T8 ships, which at certain moments are less frequent  in the queue, this leads to me being commonly paired against the same guy during a game session. If my "pair" is bad, it gives me a base advantage over the red team.

So in short, you might be riding a bad batch, go for a drink and wait (5 minutes) for a different one.

Thanks. Good advices.

[-BCO-]
Members
2,924 posts
5,022 battles
10 hours ago, Skpstr said:

As per your question:

image.thumb.png.769d36a87f1062ea3256dfeb9e5ee34e.png

Based on the scoreboard I was carried. Bur what actually happened is that Pom and me were left to cap and defend B  (Cossack was late to the party) and the reds pushed hard C-B (4-5 ships). Everyone else gone to A. So... did I contribute enough for the win? i would say very much so. We stalled them enough so the others could actually do their job. Which they did.

20210625_015051_PBSC109-Neptune_45_Zigzag.wowsreplay

Here's the replay.