You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Furia__

New ship honeymoon period?

16 comments in this topic

[JEDI-]
Members
94 posts
8,693 battles

Has anyone else felt that the first games you play after getting a special/premium ship are exceptionally good compared to the rest of your games? It just seems like the rng gods are on your side.. you hit better, you tank more, etc..

Not basing this on anything but it has been true for me for many new ships I get...

• Cool 2

[WOLFG]
Members
13,270 posts
12,537 battles

I got Mikoyan.  

It always sucked.

I would add it varies.  I got the JB first.  loved it from the start.

Yoshino was my second coal ship.  Took me forever to figure out how it worked.  (and I haven't reached forever yet).

Edited by DrHolmes52
  • Haha 2

[CHA0S]
Members
441 posts
3,998 battles
9 minutes ago, Furia__ said:

Has anyone else felt that the first games you play after getting a special/premium ship are exceptionally good compared to the rest of your games? It just seems like the rng gods are on your side.. you hit better, you tank more, etc..

Not basing this on anything but it has been true for me for many new ships I get...

My experiences in Tirpitz have been terrible - which is strange given I'm not terrible in Bismarck.

For me the first several games in a new Premium tend to be either boring 'safe' games, or absolute trainwrecks - there's very little middle-ground.

• Cool 2

[JEDI-]
Members
94 posts
8,693 battles

Shoot.. Am I the only one that gets worse with time? LOL!

[DRFTR]
Beta Testers
4,587 posts

No!

i still have great games (at least what I consider great) in all the premiums i play sorta regularly.

[SIMP]
Members
1,695 posts

I think it's confirmation bias on the OPs end.

I remember my first...and last battle in it... when I picked up the King George V. I looked at the armor scheme and was pleasantly surprised to find a sunken citadel and decent armor all around. I loaded it up with all the defensive/healing flags and good camo and took it into a coop match intending to play very conservatively. The enemy CV's planes made a beeline for me (because I was loaded to the max with flags?) and the entire bot fleet opened up on me, within the space of 60 seconds I was a burning wreck - despite being angled and heading for cover. 

I rage quit, dismissed the commander, and sold the ship immediately - never to be played again. Great job with that wonderful coding WG - you lost a tad bit of revenue because I would have kept putting flags and camo of that ship until I reached elite status in it.

So as for a honeymoon period? Nope.

Beta Testers
445 posts
11,931 battles
2 hours ago, Furia__ said:

Found it to be  around 40 to 60 games of god like...then back down to normal'ish

[UNHLY]
Members
5,217 posts
14,629 battles
3 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I got Mikoyan.  

It always sucked.

Yep. Got it during the split event in the first week from a lucky token drop, so I was able to take advantage of all four weeks of missions. Played my 29 battles (since one of my third week co-op teams insisted on throwing), and by the start of that third week I was counting down the battles until I could retire it to permanent snowflake status. 

[HKC]
Members
882 posts

Yes, I've noticed that no matter if I go on to do well or poorly in a ship, there is a feeling that the first few games are stellar.   Could be bias confirmation, or the game could be providing RNG that rewards the purchase, and gives a shot of dopamine to reinforce purchasing.

[USN]
Members
1,712 posts
21,724 battles

Can’t really think any ships where this happened, but I just played my first Maerker random battle that was a 122k victory with a Confederate, but that was best case MM (top tier ineffective CV not targeting me) so maybe after a while it’ll continue or she’ll show her true colors of being near the bottom of the T8 DD barrel

had the opposite happen with Haida. First few Ranked games were nothing special or indicative to why it was so good. 3 Sprints later, I now understand why Haida is no longer available for sale 

[KRAK]
Members
1,651 posts
16,890 battles
4 hours ago, Viva_Palestine said:

Yes, I've noticed that no matter if I go on to do well or poorly in a ship, there is a feeling that the first few games are stellar.   Could be bias confirmation, or the game could be providing RNG that rewards the purchase, and gives a shot of dopamine to reinforce purchasing.

I have 52 ships, but noticed the 1st couple of matches were really good, and then boom. This on maybe 20 of those ships.

Members
4,477 posts
4,779 battles

I had that with Hood because I didn't what made her good. So I went from having amazing games to suddenly lots of bad games because I went from treating her from a flanking ship at first to a close up heavy cruiser and dying a lot for it. 

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,624 posts
23,871 battles
11 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

I was counting down the battles until I could retire it to permanent snowflake status. 

Have several of those snowflake ships, not counting those that just sit there so there is no chance to get them again in SC 

[ARGSY]
Members
25,140 posts
19,146 battles
15 hours ago, Furia__ said:

If it makes you feel any better, this has happened to me in tech-tree ships - to the point that I put an event permacamo on one of them that I should have saved for another. After I put it on, the ship turned to s**t in my hands and I could never get good results with it.