Igiby100

Friesland vs. Halland?

4 comments in this topic

Members
103 posts
1,170 battles

So, I am looking for a long-term goal for a premium credit and ECXP farmer. Is Friesland worth it? She seems to have Halland guns, but with 1.8 vs. 2 second reload. She also makes some trades (hydro for engine boost, heal for smoke), that when combined with her inherent faults seem to be a bit of a downgrade. Is she worth the price tag?

[WHARF]
Members
489 posts
19,841 battles
3 hours ago, Igiby100 said:

So, I am looking for a long-term goal for a premium credit and ECXP farmer. Is Friesland worth it? She seems to have Halland guns, but with 1.8 vs. 2 second reload. She also makes some trades (hydro for engine boost, heal for smoke), that when combined with her inherent faults seem to be a bit of a downgrade. Is she worth the price tag?

is Friesland still in the  game...well if you have it ..you will be able to exchange it for the new dutch ca..next update....it too is a Friesland....but will have the airstrike.....she can be fun...no torps....if your a DD main...its a good ship...

Members
104 posts
1,486 battles

Friesland is awesome, but she's not to be thought of as a traditional DD. She's more of a tiny cruiser, with some cap bullying capabilities.

She's a farmer. HE/AP, both work. Later in the game, she can use her hydro to bully caps as well. Early in the game, not so much as plenty of DDs outspot her (best concealment = 6.4km) and there's ton of radar in her matchmaking tier.

She has no torpedoes, so don't allow enemy BBs/Cruisers to push you. You'll die.

Halland is fully a torpedo boat. Her guns are good but short-range. She has no smoke, either to disengage or to farm. They are entirely different boats with nothing in common but a made-up wargaming 'nation' for them. Oh and they're both Destroyers ;)

Friesland is a great credit farmer. I am not a super great player, but 800k/1MM credit games aren't uncommon for me with flags. And she's heaps of fun.

By contrast, I don't enjoy Halland. I much favor a Gearing at the same tier, for example, if I had to compare that enjoyment level to another torpedo boat.

[DVYJC]
Members
4,434 posts
11,886 battles
19 hours ago, Igiby100 said:

Friesland is a good earner, but is nothing like HallandFriesland's gunnery is far superior, with 360-degree rotation on her rear turret and nearly two full km of additional gun range stock. Halland has good guns, but poor-ish firing angles on them. 

Halland has competitive-for-tier concealment, while Friesland sticks out like a sore thumb. 

Although, both of them can have trouble disengaging, as they have mediocre speed, but Halland has it worse, being a knot slower, with worse rudder shift and turning circle, as well as the lack of smoke. 

With Friesland you need to learn how to farm from smoke - how to make sure that someone else has your target spotted for your farming, and when to spot for them instead; how to position yourself for a getaway using your smoke screen to hide you from ships charging your position even when they're within your standard detection range. 

Friesland is an amazing ship, I have nearly 600 games in her, which I think puts me in the top 25 players on NA in terms of number of games, and my win rate and PR are pretty good with her, so yes, I would heartily recommend the ship.

But, the big thing is that the best ship for earning is the highest-tier premium or special ship that you consistently perform well in. For me that is totally Friesland, but your mileage may vary.