You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
aster1

Interceptors

8 comments in this topic

[ANKER]
Members
20 posts
9,683 battles

Interceptors are pretty bad and I see little reason to ever run such a expensive skill that is a over all nerf (removes spotting). A possible interesting fix could be that dropped interceptors will patrol as normal until the player ctrl clicks on a enemy squad to focus it. Once focused the interceptors will lock on regardless of range and intercept the target. If enemy players squad is locked they would get the red marker as normal. This would not come as a surprise ether as interceptors already have a unique icon. Interceptors can not spot enemy ships so this could not be used as a exploit to spot enemy ships. This would provide CVs with a active as opposed to a passive option to protect their team, something that is sorely missed from RTS days. Concept image.

56350055_WorldofWarships6_23_20218_41_27PM.png.62ab1da714c45e25969c5f4932adf7b3.png

Any thoughts?

Edited by aster1

[LOVE]
[LOVE]
Members
118 posts
16,550 battles

Interceptors aren't bad, you just use them as a decoy so your bomber squadron takes less hits. You'll only have a 45 second window, should be long enough for a DD to fly swat all of them. They are bad, like their sole objective is to fly in circles and be an obstacle but they barely cover anything and don't do a hell of a lot when they get a chance. The direction your talking about is the very thing Wargaming has been trying to get rid of since the RTS days, multitasking, so don't expect to see anything like that.

I think the best thing Wargaming can do, is just make CV World of Warplanes, take the rocket squadron with very little historical aspect and turn it into a designated fighter squadron with a primary purpose of intercepting enemy aircraft. Buff the pay out system for the shot down by aircraft and reinstate the Air Superiority medal so you can feel special when you're out their killing the other CVs planes. Rockets could just become a consumable for the fighter squadron, taking up the slot that is already there for interceptors.

Then everyone is happy and CV goes from being a scorched earth policy to a team a player.

Members
103 posts
1,170 battles
9 minutes ago, Fallschirmfuchs said:

Interceptors aren't bad, you just use them as a decoy so your bomber squadron takes less hits. You'll only have a 45 second window, should be long enough for a DD to fly swat all of them. They are bad, like their sole objective is to fly in circles and be an obstacle but they barely cover anything and don't do a hell of a lot when they get a chance. The direction your talking about is the very thing Wargaming has been trying to get rid of since the RTS days, multitasking, so don't expect to see anything like that.

I think the best thing Wargaming can do, is just make CV World of Warplanes, take the rocket squadron with very little historical aspect and turn it into a designated fighter squadron with a primary purpose of intercepting enemy aircraft. Buff the pay out system for the shot down by aircraft and reinstate the Air Superiority medal so you can feel special when you're out their killing the other CVs planes. Rockets could just become a consumable for the fighter squadron, taking up the slot that is already there for interceptors.

Then everyone is happy and CV goes from being a scorched earth policy to a team a player.

Yeah. I have been thinking along similar lines. With a little more fleshing out, CVs could easily become a very fun and balanced (ish) class.

[ANKER]
Members
20 posts
9,683 battles
42 minutes ago, Fallschirmfuchs said:

This makes me believe you do not know what interceptors are. Fighters are the normal consumable sometimes used in the way you describe. They Fly around for 60 seconds base and can spot ships/planes and shoot down planes that fly within their patrol effectiveness depending upon the quick reflexes skill.

Interceptors is a 3 point skill in the fighter line that replaces standard fighters with interceptors the current effects being.

• Patrol radius +10% (fairly useful in fighter build)
  • Invulnerable to enemy fighters and does not attack hostile fighters (a perk I usually see as a net negative)
  • Does not spot enemy ships (which spotting is one of the primary utilities of fighters)

As you can see the the perks are simply a heavy nerf to the fighters which is why I propose adding the effect/ replacing the skill with the following

1 hour ago, aster1 said:

Interceptors will patrol as normal until the player ctrl clicks on a enemy squad to focus it. Once focused the interceptors will lock on regardless of range and intercept the target.

On the multitasking argument wargaming is adding subs with all new ASW mechanics. I doubt control click the same action as manual secondary's is to much to ask but who knows.

Edited by aster1

[LOVE]
[LOVE]
Members
118 posts
16,550 battles
3 minutes ago, aster1 said:

This makes me believe you do not know what interceptors are. Fighters are the normal consumable sometimes used in the way you describe. They Fly around for 60 seconds base and can spot ships/planes and shoot down planes that fly within their patrol effectiveness depending upon the quick reflexes skill.

Interceptors is a 3 point skill in the fighter line that replaces standard fighters with interceptors the current effects being.

• Patrol radius +10% (fairly useful in fighter build)
  • Invulnerable to enemy fighters and does not attack hostile fighters (a perk I usually see as a net negative)
  • Does not spot enemy ships (which spotting is one of the primary utilities of fighters)

As you can see the the perks are simply a heavy nerf to the fighters which is why I adding the effect/ replacing the skill with the following

On the multitasking argument wargaming is adding subs with all new ASW mechanics. I doubt control click the same action as manual secondary's is to much to ask but who knows.

Probably cause I've played CV a handful of times since the rework after the RTS days and never payed much notice to the captain skills since when ever they reworked those last. Doesn't sound like a hell of an improvement, especially if they're not immune to my AA, plus with all captain skills it's a trade off on play style. I just see it as a poor excuse for a fighter squadron, one that can easily be replace by a system that allows you as the player to chase and destroy enemy aircraft.

As for the multitasking argument, I don't know how many times I've told CV to move his aft cause the enemy is on top of him. Some serious tunnel vision in that department, even with all the bells and whistles.

[ANKER]
Members
20 posts
9,683 battles
2 minutes ago, Fallschirmfuchs said:

Doesn't sound like a hell of an improvement, especially if they're not immune to my AA, plus with all captain skills it's a trade off on play style. I just see it as a poor excuse for a fighter squadron

As RTS standards go yes it is effectively a worse fighter squadron. The benefit is instead of having to passively defend ones team which cant be done albeit poorly when running a full fighter build letting your fighters patrol for 2 mins with enhanced reflexes. Not being immune to AA makes sense it prevents the intercepting CV from simply camping the opposing CV to death as they can simply fly into friendly AA bubbles if a poorly timed interceptor is sent after them thus creating a skill to positioning and timing your interceptors. The Interceptor skill is a big trade off you lose the ability to take down enemy fighters normally and you lose the ability to spot but you gain the ability to actively intercept strike squadrons and defend your team for the cost of 3 points. I believe it may still be the less popular build to go fighters, however i think it would go a long way to making fighters not only a more viable build but would bring a much more positive view to CVs from team mates being saved from strikes. Much like in the RTS days when a friendly fighter would fly in and save you from death.

Members
1,960 posts

Never tried interceptors before. They're too expensive yet pointless. The AA in the game is insane already, the bombs and rockets can't hit the broad side of a mountain, so I'm not worried about saving team-mates too much. 

CV's can't really afford to spend even 1 point on anything other than survivability and speed to receive little in return.

They might need to tweek the CV skills. There's little room for different build types in the current meta. Current meta is basically "launch planes, travel 60 seconds, make one attack, watch the whole attack miss, lose 3/4 of your planes, rinse, repeat until de-planed".

Edited by ElectroVeeDub

[ANKER]
Members
20 posts
9,683 battles

AA in game is very varied in effectiveness. I have found the fighter build is less punishing to run on some nations such as German CVs, where I think the consumables build is actually better due to them having extra heals and long lasting boosts. My current German CVs build which on 21 points i will drop direction center for fighters and take torpedo bomber.926030594_WorldofWarships6_24_20212_18_34PM.thumb.png.c812efb11dcb1fd10055fe7cc1336c71.png

My build on standard CVs has become a nearly full fighter build skills 1,2 and 4 plus the consumable mod on the ship which brings the fighters patrol time up to about 2 minutes. With a bit of juggling I can effectively put up a wall of 3 fighters locking off a large part of the map while doing my normal strikes. It just requires a bit of extra thought. However even if you are finding yourself being deplaned you can still support your team with fighters. This is my wargaming intern concept for interceptors.

877311134_WorldofWarships6_23_20218_41_27PM.png.252f002dcd9b473c4cf4e753605ae3d4.png

Edited by aster1