Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
USMC_FMF

Spotting

3 comments in this topic

[CLUMP]
Members
397 posts

With the last public sub test WG introduced an interesting mechanic for subs with the way hydrophones worked underwater. It was a "ping" system where ships would display as shadows for a couple of seconds with each ping. This is how Plane, and RADAR spotting should have been all along. This is very well balanced as it doesn't give other ships magic LOS but does keep the minimap updated. When in use it also doesn't allow magic spotting through rocks/obstacles as well. Ships do show up visually with each ping but only last about 2 seconds. This system would bring a lot of balance to other mechanics such as RADAR and Plane spotting. Hopefully in a future patch they balance out these other mechanics with this more realistic, more balanced method of ship detection using consumables. 

[SALVO]
Members
8,963 posts
6,663 battles
1 hour ago, USMC_FMF said:

With the last public sub test WG introduced an interesting mechanic for subs with the way hydrophones worked underwater. It was a "ping" system where ships would display as shadows for a couple of seconds with each ping. This is how Plane, and RADAR spotting should have been all along. This is very well balanced as it doesn't give other ships magic LOS but does keep the minimap updated. When in use it also doesn't allow magic spotting through rocks/obstacles as well. Ships do show up visually with each ping but only last about 2 seconds. This system would bring a lot of balance to other mechanics such as RADAR and Plane spotting. Hopefully in a future patch they balance out these other mechanics with this more realistic, more balanced method of ship detection using consumables. 

I liked the mechanic too, but for the practical needs of a sub it was kinda useless, the 2 seconds of visual contact are not enough to properly lead &  ping the enemy ship. For it to work in gameplay terms it needs to be steady, or either get rid of the ping thing... I prefer the last.

[CLUMP]
Members
397 posts
31 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

I liked the mechanic too, but for the practical needs of a sub it was kinda useless, the 2 seconds of visual contact are not enough to properly lead &  ping the enemy ship. For it to work in gameplay terms it needs to be steady, or either get rid of the ping thing... I prefer the last.

I think it is exactly how RADAR and Plane spotting should work. Since RADAR is sweeping (with the exception of RADAR Range Finders which not all nations had in WW2) and Plane spotting relies on radio feedback of locations. 

Sign in to follow this