You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SaltyRat

Point of new rocket mechanic?

8 comments in this topic

Members
288 posts
19,304 battles

I fail to see what the point of this new mechanic is for CV rocket planes? It used to be that when I aimed at a ship and hit the mouse button the rockets released and for the most part hit where I expected them to. Now however the only thing that hits where I expected the rockets to hit is those ignorant, waste of time bullets, or whatever you want to call them and then and only then after they hit my rockets come down. I find it rather retarded that this game developer went out of their way to dumb down CV game play because they was not happy with how few people played them. Now they are building features like this that not only complicate it but make it even more guesswork if you can hit the target! So please, someone explain to me exactly how this is supposed to make rocket planes more effective or easier to play?

Supertester
4,266 posts
4,646 battles

It's meant to make them harder to play and give a chance for DDs to dodge them... To aim the rockets you just need to lead more...

[O7]
Supertester
442 posts
13,803 battles

It's to address the constant complaints that they were too effective vs. DDs.

Imagine yourself as the DD player on the recieving end of the old rocket strike. Even the worst CVs could easily hit DDs that were actively dodging. So much fun for the DD that gets spotted and hit by the CV with very little counterplay. All you get is smoke, which many CVs either camp or lay a fighter down. 

With the new rockets, it gives DDs some counterplay and room to dodge. Bad DDs can still be punished, but good players can maneuver to avoid damage. 

Look on the bright side, the forum CV mains have largely forgotten that spotting still exists. Spotting is arguably better for the CV since the planes are invulnerable during the longer attack animation. 

• Thanks 1

[SR-_-]
Members
4,952 posts
46,489 battles
58 minutes ago, Your_SAT_Score said:

It's to address the constant complaints that they were too effective vs. DDs.

Imagine yourself as the DD player on the recieving end of the old rocket strike. Even the worst CVs could easily hit DDs that were actively dodging. So much fun for the DD that gets spotted and hit by the CV with very little counterplay. All you get is smoke, which many CVs either camp or lay a fighter down. 

With the new rockets, it gives DDs some counterplay and room to dodge. Bad DDs can still be punished, but good players can maneuver to avoid damage. 

Look on the bright side, the forum CV mains have largely forgotten that spotting still exists. Spotting is arguably better for the CV since the planes are invulnerable during the longer attack animation. 

Spotting don't pay the bills. I seem to recall many players like yourself struggling to spot if camped behind a rock, hiding like a traumatized chicken. Players that say it is fine, never sailed a CV. So, to make that opinion, it is more credible if they actually sailed the ship. Cruiser mains, and I mean that loosely, as most of them play DD as a side chick. (Make up your mind, cruiser or DD). So such biased opinions, be it during the PT phase, ST phase or real server are suspect.

BB mains are probably not thrilled about it anyway because it doesn't change a thing. Slow gets hit, fast doesn't. Never mind a juke or quick throttle jockey(the realm of the cruiser and DD main). Such privilege is why cruiser/DD mains(Binary players) always complain. But their numbers really don't show that convincing enough or WG would have fixed the rocket meta way back in 0.8.1, etc.

So what changed? Either DD mains suck or CV players are getting better? And does WG think that it is in their best interests to make a ship line get heavily nerfed for a small ship that refuses to spot in the first place and instead sails to the nearest BB and attacks it, disregarding capping and spotting? 

I think the cruiser community needs to take the DD community out back and have it out. Get the both of you on the same page on their roles or get rolled by a CV that spots better than you.

Because the BB community loves it when a CV spots. And could give a rats fart if a cruiser dies by their guns. 

Players that play all ship types on the other hand have a more valuable opinion.  

So, my question to the cruiser community:  When the BBs start to attack with impunity, after the CVs spot you, because WG took away their favorite cookie; how are cruisers going to complain this time.

Because if I am a CV main(FYI, I play them all, so main is subjective), I am targeting cruisers all game with spots and hitting BBs for gravy. That will be damage upon spotting, and alpha on BBs. 

Since DDs have scant HP to begin with, the rocket change just gives CV players to spot the crap out of cruisers. "If I can't hit the little one, then next size up." After all, the spot damage on DDs was meh, the destruction was ok, but hardly a game changer when farming credits.

A CV player can make a living on cruiser spots and BB hits. And secondary builds are possible on certain CVs. If a CV player moves around, a DD won't find it. Then red loses a capper and spotter.

Meanwhile, CV moves about and gets cruisers wrecked indirectly. If they do become weakened by loss of AA or HP, then here come the bombers as promised.

Expect CV players to be more methodical killers of cruisers due to this change. 

So, while WG earnestly tried to make DD players happy, I fear that the cruiser player will suffer the wrath of CV players.

And an angry CV player that specifically spots cruisers is far more deadly wouldn't you think?:cap_tea::cap_popcorn:

[WOLF1]
Members
1,151 posts
2,228 battles
1 hour ago, SaltyRat said:

I fail to see what the point of this new mechanic is for CV rocket planes? It used to be that when I aimed at a ship and hit the mouse button the rockets released and for the most part hit where I expected them to. Now however the only thing that hits where I expected the rockets to hit is those ignorant, waste of time bullets, or whatever you want to call them and then and only then after they hit my rockets come down. I find it rather retarded that this game developer went out of their way to dumb down CV game play because they was not happy with how few people played them. Now they are building features like this that not only complicate it but make it even more guesswork if you can hit the target! So please, someone explain to me exactly how this is supposed to make rocket planes more effective or easier to play?

Yeah still getting used to rockets, but I can still wreak DDs with dive bombers, only have to hit one to really hurt

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,233 posts
4,348 battles
1 hour ago, SaltyRat said:

So please, someone explain to me exactly how this is supposed to make rocket planes more effective or easier to play?

It's not, it's supposed to make them less effective and harder to play.

Rockets were braindead easy to play against DDs. WG implemented this change to reduce their effectiveness and give DDs the ability to "Just Dodge."

You need to lead your rocket aim point now to account for the delay in release.

[PVE]
Members
8,822 posts
25,144 battles

1sr of all...not a bug so not supposed to post it in the bug thread.

"Point of new rocket mechanic?"

You answered your own question...

3 hours ago, SaltyRat said:

It used to be that when I aimed at a ship and hit the mouse button the rockets released and for the most part hit where I expected them to.

If you try that with any other ordinance against a ship moving at all...the ship would not be there when the ordinance arrived...

It's called "the need to lead"...

Rockets never needed to lead & were therefore broken OP...& have been since 0.8.0 dropped...

Took them long enough...but they finally got around to requiring some skill to use them.

It's not like you need any practice with any other ships type to use them now as you've needed to lead with the torps & bombs on CVs already (although practice with other ship types will definitely help to get the idea quicker) so just start using rockets with a lead time in mind & soon you'll be able to start getting as many hits as you used to.

Although I think they should remove the text warning in game & just leave the machine gun tracers warning...that should be enough IMO...if you're not aware the planes are above you shooting at you the text isn't gonna give you enough of a warning & the machine gun tracers are enough of a warning for those that are aware...or just leave it in for those that have the Incoming Fire Alert skill (sans the range requirement).

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[DEV_X]
[DEV_X]
Alpha Tester
3,078 posts
27,844 battles

I think it the rocket change was implemented to make DDs more survivable for the upcoming addition of submarines. 

DDs should, hypothetically at least, be the main counter for submarines. If they're all wiped out at the begining of the match it's going to give submarines the ability to play without a hard counter.

That said, however, does not mean DDs will be alive that much longer on average due to player skill. In fact, I believe this is going to contribute to a DD skill gap. Personally, I could already tell a DD that knew how CVs worked and could make their ship a hard target and DDs that were clueless. Now, with the rocket change, that's become even more apparent. I hit a kitikaze for 4k with rockets the other day in a match as he sailed in a straight line, AA on, same speed, and didnt use smoke. On the flip side I found a Kagero that I couldnt spot for more than a few seconds and never once gave me a good line of attack to even come remotely close to hitting any of my rockets. 

I feel as though WGs intent was to take some of the heat of DDs but instead their creating a massive skill gap. The most skilled players are going to be nearly immune to CV rockets while playing a DD and the least skilled wont see a difference. This is going to shift the "battle impact" more in favor of the team with better DD players. 

Also, I dont know if people are going to realize DDs are still going to require skill. Just because the CV might have a harder time hitting you doesnt mean the average DD player wont die to a gunboat DD or radar cruiser trying to aggressively cap. DDs are still going to drop off the team line up first and quickly because it's a difficult class to play.