Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ArIskandir

Deployment Bets, Steamrolls + bonus Smoke Trap

5 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Members
9,013 posts
6,716 battles

I wanted to share this clip because I think it is a good case study for Deployment considerations.

I this match my team deploys horribly, they all lemming towards the "open" side of the map, right out of the bat I face an important initial decision: 

Do I deploy by myself on the weak flank or do I keep a more reserved position?

I decide to deploy by myself on the weak flank, leaving the flank open is the same as losing the match, if the reds push the flank they will get full broadside shots on my team. I need to at least stall the flank.

The next question is, how deep do I deploy?

I can deploy conservatively, wide on the flank to spot whatever is coming this way and if needed try to stall the enemy with flanking fire, or... I can go balls deep and try to contest A cap from the far side, all by myself. Thinking objectively I consider going balls deep to be very reckless, if the enemy pushes me in force I'll be trapped and dead... so my decision is obviously going balls deep, after all I'm playing a Lightning and I feel confident I can pull a trick or two with her, also weights on me the certainty my team is kinda bad (after all they all went lemming...) and I need to win an advantage quickly before they all die, I don't feel so confident on my team to play speculative.

As expected, I end facing a 3 vs 1 against 2 DDs and their Radar cruiser... 

video link

It was crystal clear I needed to extract from that position asap or be trapped and killed, I expected the red Fletcher would push me eventually when they realized I was alone. The moment I realized he was pushing me I set up for a smoke hydro trap, I launched area denial torps to steer him towards me as I wanted him behind me, not at my flank, then I smoked up and tried to cover myself from the red Maerker I knew was lurking somewhere on the flank. The trap worked better than I hoped as the Fletcher followed the vector of my smoke and as I was only spotted very briefly escaping unscatted, then I was able to pincer the red Yugo with her pants down for a double DD kill to seal the match.

My team managed to capitalize on their numerical advantage on their flank and the Alaska flexed in time to support my side, at that moment the match was already won and it was just moping up. It all worked in the end but this was a dreadful deploy, I took a very risky bet and was lucky enough it paid off.

This match ended very quickly as a steamroll for my team, but could have as easily ended as a steamroll for the red team. 

Edited by ArIskandir
  • Cool 4
  • Meh 1

[SALVO]
Members
3,664 posts
7,531 battles
6 minutes ago, ArIskandir said:

@eviltane sensei, how would you have played this scenario?

Well your trap worked  though I attribute both the DD deaths to the quality of the opponent.  I do  like that you guarded the right / weak flank. Though being by yourself I think I  would have definitely picked the safe option and scouted wide to see if a radar cruiser was lining up where the buffalo went first and to torpedo that position.  I also thought that maybe you were sitting a bit wide on the island and that I would have put my rear end in the cap If I had gone that far. The trap worked out though and being as far from the island as you were it was a bit easier to get away. I don't want to discourage you from what works for you.  

The only other thing I would have changed / noticed is that you double up on your torpedo heading on your second set of torpedo launches.  I like to put torpedo launches besides each other all the time for a larger spread rather then on top of each other.  Not that it would have changed much on the outcome in this case.

• Thanks 1

[SALVO]
Members
9,013 posts
6,716 battles
1 hour ago, eviltane said:

Well your trap worked  though I attribute both the DD deaths to the quality of the opponent.  I do  like that you guarded the right / weak flank. Though being by yourself I think I  would have definitely picked the safe option and scouted wide to see if a radar cruiser was lining up where the buffalo went first and to torpedo that position.  I also thought that maybe you were sitting a bit wide on the island and that I would have put my rear end in the cap If I had gone that far. The trap worked out though and being as far from the island as you were it was a bit easier to get away. I don't want to discourage you from what works for you.  

The only other thing I would have changed / noticed is that you double up on your torpedo heading on your second set of torpedo launches.  I like to put torpedo launches besides each other all the time for a larger spread rather then on top of each other.  Not that it would have changed much on the outcome in this case.

Thanks for the feedback boss.

Being on a Lightning I wasn't too convinced on going wide, torps are only 8 km so I don't consider to have a good window to torp a radar cruiser with DD support, also I'm kinda slow so I'll be wasting more time going wide and risking being left out of the action. I know I went wide on the island but I did it on purpose, with the new underwater terrain thingy I've been getting stuck in weird places, I didn't want to risk running aground there, also I wanted to have a bit more vision over the open side in case something was coming that way and a bit more angle to torp on the channel. And as you say I had more room to get away.  And yes, the reds were bad, I was just expecting to get a couple shots and gain an edge against the Fletcher but it went full head on... 

Totally agree my second set on the Tirpitz was a waste, I remember thinking I needed to avoid the sinking DD but should have reserved the second set. 

[WOLFG]
Members
13,270 posts
12,537 battles

You did that Fletcher dirty.  And I mean that in a good way.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this