You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
jonsim

German Carriers?

8 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
515 battles

Please note I play wow legends on Xbox, it may be different from PC. But wait a minute....they released an aircraft carrier that does less damage per torpedo, has planes as fragile as the Japanese, has a much harder to aim bomber that not only does no damage more than half the time, but also does less damage with a citadel hit than a high explosive would hitting open deck? Is there any positives to these things? They're near unplayable. I got all the way to the Lexington without free XP and consistently had 60-100k damage a game, and now I can't crack 20k in this trash. There isn't metric in which the German carrier is better than it's american or japanese counterparts and many ways it's uniquely awful. Do they get better at higher tiers or something?!? This makes no sense.

Edited by jonsim
Clarification

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,349 posts
24,337 battles

I only enjoy the two premiums because they are "different" to play.  Some can make these ships work; but for me it's 'Merica if you want to enjoy CVs.

Edited by Warped_1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
6,698 posts
6,704 battles
6 minutes ago, jonsim said:

Please note I play wow legends on Xbox, it may be different from PC. But wait a minute....they released an aircraft carrier that does less damage per torpedo, has planes as fragile as the Japanese, has a much harder to aim bomber that not only does no damage more than half the time, but also does less damage with a citadel hit than a high explosive would hitting open deck? Is there any positives to these things? They're near unplayable. I got all the way to the Lexington without free XP and consistently had 60-100k damage a game, and now I can't crack 20k in this trash. There isn't metric in which the German carrier is better than it's american or japanese counterparts and many ways it's uniquely awful. Do they get better at higher tiers or something?!? This makes no sense.

Tier X German CV deleted my ~65% health Musashi with a three attacks from a single flight of dive bombers.  That is harder hitting than any other CV I've been hit by, even FDR torps.

Members
662 posts
17,964 battles

The planes are very fast, and the AP rockets just hammer unaware cruisers (at low tiers; high tiers they melt and there are fewer good targets).

WG did nerf AP bomber accuracy, but they still chunk anything without an armored deck. The line is a little weird that the tier 8 is the low point.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,868 posts

They are not bad carriers.

Just apply firepower to sink them.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,680 posts
13,339 battles
2 hours ago, jonsim said:

The tech tree German CV's are just the scrambled up line.

Your rocket planes are anti-cruiser, and they really don't care about the recent rocket nerf.

Your torpedo bombers are anti-DD, hard to hit DD's with, but you've also got German secondary's and spotting them for that..

finally the AP dive bombers are anti-battleship. and once you figure out how to shift your view on approach (timing it to go from dodging flak to actually seeing where your bombs are going to land without flying into flak along with dropping at the right height) they actually aren't bad.

The planes really aren't that fragile, because they're fast. You're trading hitpoints for spending less time in the AA, so it balances out.

The real problem is, you can't treat them any other carrier line and hit everything that annoys you with torpedoes. German carriers have to always match the right aircraft with the target, or you end up doing next to nothing.

Members
641 posts
362 battles
10 hours ago, jonsim said:

Simply put you are doing it wrong.

The amount of complaints on the official Reddit/discord about 12-18k citadel hits from German AP bombs pretty much contradicts what you said.

Tier 5 AP bombs currently max at 9k damage

Tier 7 iirc does 9800

Remember with German AP bombs the higher you drop the bombs the better the chance of getting a citadel.

The torpedo bombers, while they have low damage torpedos are perfect for DD hunting with the high speed so they are much harder to avoid.

Members
1,579 posts
2,011 battles
On 6/22/2021 at 3:57 PM, jonsim said:

There isn't metric in which the German carrier is better than it's american or japanese counterparts

• better armor
  • better guns
  • rockets have 12+ kilometer range

I think my KMS Weser is awesome.